1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Mspersonalities
Pet Score:3447
Realm:Azuremyst-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Mspersonalities » February 10th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Anodized Robo Cub

I find it invaluable to have a mechanical pet in just about every one of my pet lineups and I'm overly fond of this one! This little guy can really pack a punch with his Maul and his Repair has gotten me out of some overestimated situations!

Aramata
Pet Score:3324
Realm:Vashj-eu

Post by Aramata » February 10th, 2013, 12:32 pm

I saw TONS of Tundra Penguin when I was riding a gryphon in Northrend, but couldn't find ANY when I decided to get one. I decided to battle an Arctic Hare since I needed one of those for my collection and my rare Tundra Penguin was a back-up pet!
I guess really it's just a reminder to those who are old hat to pet collecting and a tip to those that are new! That you might find just the pet you're looking for as a back-up pet in a battle with one you've already got.

Elvenia
MVP
Pet Score:4954
BattleTag®:Aldred#1239
Realm:Shadowsong-us

Post by Elvenia » February 10th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Digusting Oozeling is one of my favorite pets in the game, The drop rate from the oozing bags is quite low but if you can get one, this pet is well worth it. When facing an opponent pet, combining Acidic Goo and Corrosion can do a great deal of damage. I also like to use Absorb since it helps heal the ooze while dealing damage. In PvP or in pet battles, the Disgusting Oozeling has the advantage of being a magic pet meaning it cannot lose more than 40% of its maximum health in a single attack. If you have the ooze following you around, it gives you a green aura with a debuff that reduces all your resistances by 20 so beware!
Last edited by Elvenia on February 12th, 2013, 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SacredRogue66
Pet Score:3893
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by SacredRogue66 » February 10th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Mini Mindslayer can be difficult to get for casters, as the boss will interrupt pretty much any cast time. Instant casts and melee are the way to go. But for Shamans, don't use totems as multiple targets will cause him to mind control you and then reset.

Waywardhero
Realm:Ravenholdt-eu

Post by Waywardhero » February 10th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Flayer Youngling is a very good pet for dealing with critters. It takes less damage from critters as it is a humanoid and it's abilities Rampage and Triple Snap are Beast abilities that do bonus damage to critters.

This is my number one pet that I use in Pandaria. Lots of critters, easy kills!

If you don't have this pet, I highly suggest you go farm it - you can find it in Outland, in Terrokar Forest - to the border of Hellfire Peninsula. This pet might be somewhat hard to get, atleast it was on my highly populated server. My suggestion is, if you can't find any on your server then ask a cross-realm friend to invite you and you'll bump to his server. Now search his! Rinse and repeat untill you find one! :)

Chibidani2002
Pet Score:5842
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibidani2002 » February 10th, 2013, 12:58 pm

guardian cub

When at level 25, this pet and another pet in the 20 range can help level a low level pet to level 5 in one battle. All you have to do is take all 3, two lvl 25s and a lvl 1, out to Pandaria. Have the low level out first and let them either get hit and/or throw off a hit promptly switch them out with one of the 25s and have the high levels defeat the other pets. And after all three enemy pets are killed, your level 1 will instantly be level 5 at the end of the battle. Hope this tip helps! ^_^
Last edited by Chibidani2002 on February 10th, 2013, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vegi
Top Rater
Pet Score:4867
BattleTag®:Vegi#2131
Realm:The Maelstrom-eu

Post by Vegi » February 10th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Cinder Kitten is one of not many pets that keep using it's animations during the battle. Looks absolutely adorable when it dodges enemy's attack while rolling like a furball. Or, damages the enemy pet and then licks it's paw with nonchalance! Awesomely cute - check this out! :)

Fightfortheend
Top Rater
Pet Score:1871
Realm:Rexxar-us

Post by Fightfortheend » February 10th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Fluxfire Feline is easily one of my favorite pets to battle with. There is usually two ways a battle will go with him. Either I start with prowl and then use Claw. Or i use Wind-up twice. the battle usually is over in 2-4 rounds. Super easy.

My other favorite battle pet is Chrominius. With him, i start with Howl then follow up with Ravage. Pet battles are over with fairly quickly.

Moonone
Pet Score:3530
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Moonone » February 10th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Keybind the Interact With Target function (found in your menu under Keybindings - Targeting Functions) and then you can spam it whilst moving around those pesky pets that are on odd terrain. Those pets that always evaded you with terrain errors are now yours :D You can also /target something manually if its inside terrain and sometimes get them also. O.-

Emerald01
Pet Score:3288
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Emerald01 » February 10th, 2013, 1:09 pm

If you're going after Farmer Nishi in Valley of the Four Winds, the Celestial Dragon is your best friend. And very romantic!

Siren, a Singing Sunflower, usually comes out first and creates an outbreak of Sunshine. This is bad. Very bad. You don't want Sunny weather! Sunburn, bright light in your eyes, and it gets way too warm, so the first thing you need to do is banish that pesky sunshine.

Celestial Dragon's Moonfire does a bunch of Magic damage and changes the weather to cool, gentle Moonlight. Much more romantic, don't you think? Starfall will also create Moonlight (and is also a very romantic ability!), but does a lesser amount of dragonkin damage. Against Siren, you'll want the higher damage. Romantic damage!

Once you've wiped out Siren, intermittently keeping your health up with Ancient Blessing, you can move on to the Terrible Turnip or Silkworm. Ancient Blessing even shows a heart-shaped graphic. Even Peddlefeet would be jealous of how romantic this pet is!

You MAY need a backup pet for this fight, but only if you need a distraction if Celestial Dragon needs a round for Ancient Blessing to cool down. After that, you can finish off the team, and it's all still under the romantic moonlight.

Who doesn't like romantic pet battles?

Cheers!
Em

Camisado
Top Rater
Pet Score:12951
BattleTag®:Camisado#1601
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Camisado » February 10th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Having trouble finding a fluxfire feline? Roll a gnome on a low pop server and run around the starting area. If you can't find one, try another realm. Yay for account wide pets!

He's an incredibly powerful pet, wind-up and supercharge is a deadly combination. He's getting nerfed in the next patch, but he's still one of the cutest pets in my opinion! :)

Dantbadger
Pet Score:4789
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Dantbadger » February 10th, 2013, 1:33 pm

So the hardest pet I had to find was a rare Silithid Hatchling. When they spawn they spawn in large quantities, but most are poor or common, I did find that if it is raining in Mulgore, there was a sand storm in Tanaris. Not sure if there is a true connection or just luck.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/be ... hatchling/

Lyftur
Pet Score:2381
Realm:Eonar-us

Post by Lyftur » February 10th, 2013, 1:48 pm

The Snowy Owl's Predatory Strike is a very useful anti-mechanical ability. Because the instant kill counts as a second hit, if the first hit kills a mechanical it will rez and then be killed again in the same round.

The tooltip is also misleading. The target will be insta-killed if it is below 25% after the intial hit, not just before.

There are several other birds with this ability, but the owl can be caught at a much higher level than the rest.

Parlzdort
Pet Score:2387
Realm:Quel'dorei-us

Post by Parlzdort » February 10th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Nordrassil Wisp

Combine flash ability which blinds the target if hit successful.
If target is blinded successfully then us light ability which will hit for double damage if target blinded.
These abilities both may have a 3 round cool down but you have arcane explosion to fill in the time untill they are up again.

Jirad
Pet Score:2722
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Jirad » February 10th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Tundra Penguin

Right now, this is my favorite finishing pet. I'm able to level lower level pets and then pull in my rare level 25 penguin when things get dicey. His Slippery Ice followed by Ice Lance are usually more than enough to finish off the pets I don't want.

Good luck to everyone hoping for the give-aways! 8-)
Last edited by Jirad on February 10th, 2013, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rtgeary
Realm:Lightning's Blade-us

Post by Rtgeary » February 10th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Celestial Dragon- Even if you decide to use a different pet to start your battle, get him out and cast his Moonfire so that your other magic damage pets and healing abilities get a sweet boost!

Razionale
Pet Score:3723

Post by Razionale » February 10th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Personally I love Nether Faerie Dragon, because its Moonfire boosts up Arcane Blast. Also it can be combined with pets like Azure Whelpling or [pet]Lil' Tarecgosa[/pet] to boost Surge of Power to be one of the most powerful skills available~

Shaed
Pet Score:11401
Realm:Dethecus-us

Post by Shaed » February 10th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Skunk

I love the animation for this pet - as he goes out, tries to woo a black kitty then gets heart broken when he fails. Such a great reminder of childhood and Pepe le Pew!

Bawls
Realm:Stonemaul-us

Post by Bawls » February 10th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Emerald Whelpling is extremely strong against the Whispering Pandaren Spirit Tamer in the jade forest using Emerald Bite, Moonfire, Tranquility and a little practice you will be able to almost solo the entire team allowing you net a low level pet around 5k experience with a Safari Hat.
Last edited by Bawls on February 10th, 2013, 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Baski
Pet Score:506
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Baski » February 10th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Flayer Youngling - As of right now this is the ultimate troll pet. I've one countless battles by waiting for my opponent to cast an !!ALL POWERFUL SUPER DEATH ATTACK!! (say Deep Breath ) an then using the pet battle ultimate counter! Reflect This is one of the handiest things in game imo especially since most high power attacks have a charging round. It Returns those obvious finishing moves ayes but you also receive no damage from it. I can sometimes hear my opponents screaming at me.
Sadly it's being changed when 5.2 drops :< sad day.