1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Coldbrew
Pet Score:13138
Realm:Chamber of Aspects-eu
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Coldbrew » February 9th, 2013, 5:24 pm

One good way to level pets against the master pet trainers is to use a pet that can kill several of the opponent's pets, so you can include a low level pet on your team to use only for a round or two so that it receives a lot of xp at the end. The pets I use the most against master pet trainers are:

Anubisath Idol

Emerald Proto-Whelp

Silkbead Snail

where my favorite is Emerald Proto-Whelp. You can cast Ancient Blessing then Emerald Dream then Ancient Blessing again to outheal very heavy incoming damage. I use a P/P breed. It gets me out of trouble often, the main thing is to start healing soon enough as it takes some time for Emerald Dream to ramp up -- so start it early when you know there will be heavy incoming damage.

Other tips, use snails that first can cast Acidic Goo then Dive against elementals, use a mechanical (e.g. Fluxfire Feline) with Wind-Up against nasty beasts that heal or dps a lot (seems many of the nastiest trainer pets are beasts, too bad Wind-Up is planned for removal from the game in 5.2) and use a flying with Cocoon Strikeagainst the aquatics with Dive).
Last edited by Coldbrew on February 9th, 2013, 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Almeisan
Pet Score:3703
BattleTag®:Izzy#2370
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Almeisan » February 9th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Viscidus Globule

One of the pets in my current battle team is Viscidus Globule which I renamed Lime.

Even though I initially only got Lime as he is part of the Raiding with Leashes achievement, I've grown quite fond of the little blob and he is one of my favorite battle pets.

Initially I had some trouble killing Viscidus in AQ40. I found the following tips useful:
[*] Viscidus gets frozen after 20 frost hits
[*] To shatter him while frozen, you need to hit him 30 times within 30 seconds. Useful to use BL/Timewarp here if you have it

Even when fighting higher level pets / faster pets, Lime is awesome! For me I always start with WeaknessExpungeWeaknessOoze Touch / Acid TouchWeakness. Thus using Weakness every time it's off cool down either followed by Expunge (whenever it's off cool down) or Ooze Touch / Acid Touch. I find this rotation works really well and does a lot of damage to your opponent whilst reducing their speed and damage done by 50% for one round every time you use Weakness on them.

What I find amusing every time is the way his little "neck" starts to bubble just before he casts Expunge!

Last edited by Almeisan on February 9th, 2013, 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Enderon
Pet Score:2416
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Enderon » February 9th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Wild Golden Hatchling

This is one of the best pets to use against NPC trainers due to it's ability Tail Sweep. Tail Sweep does increased damage when this pet goes second, which it always does due to NPC trainers having Epic and Legendary pets. It is especially effective against trainers that use Magic family pets (such as the Darkmoon Faire trainer) since it does the extra damage as a separate attack rather than combined with the base attack, thus avoiding the Magic passive. Also, its other ability Call Lightning adds extra damage to both the initial and extra hit separately, effectively doubling the usefulness of Call Lightning. And finally it has Lift-Off in case you need to avoid a particularly devastating attack.
Last edited by Enderon on February 9th, 2013, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruelipandamonk
Pet Score:1543
Realm:Azuremyst-us

Post by Bruelipandamonk » February 9th, 2013, 5:58 pm

[pet]Death's Head Cockroach[/pet]

For the Death's Headcockroach, I like to team him up with another roach and a fire beetle. Use Apocalypse early on and by the end of the fight, if you've not beaten the other team, the comet helps wipe them out.

I know it's not that original, but it's still a good tip!

Greendot
Pet Score:8039
Realm:Kilrogg-eu

Post by Greendot » February 9th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Eternal strider is a great pet for levelling other pets. It can often take on all three opponents without losing, which makes it great to grind with. Use pump, and heal often!

Exetra
Pet Score:10565
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Exetra » February 9th, 2013, 6:03 pm

When farming many pets, killing non-combat critters can help force a spawn of a pet that can be battled. This works for some hard to find pets, such as the Irradiated Cockroach, Anodized Robo Cub and Gilded Moth.

Good luck, everyone!

Lucy00978
Pet Score:2245
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Lucy00978 » February 9th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Plump Turkey This little guy is one of my favorite pets to use. Not only is he super cute but whenever I'm having a little bit of trouble on a beast I just bring him out. His Food Coma move makes it easy to kill anything, not only does it put them to sleep but if you are fighting against a higher trainer like in Pandaria, the pet you put to sleep is switched out for the next one. I like to use him against both the monkey from the dark moon fair as well as on the Water Spirit Trainer in Pandaria.

Valiana
Pet Score:7360
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Valiana » February 9th, 2013, 6:45 pm

I love using my Mirror Strider when fighting Farmer Nishi. I have been able to consistently level two other pets when using my Mirror Strider. I love using the pump ability. I am able to consistently kill the sunflower and the turnip that way.

I always put the 2 low level pets in when the sunflower is out since it loves to just heal itself, therefore my lower level pets don't take any damage from them, but still get the xp!
Last edited by Valiana on February 9th, 2013, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xeonx
Pet Score:3786
Realm:Drak'thul-us

Post by Xeonx » February 9th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Widow Spiderling

This pet only spawns at night in Duskwood as a primary. However, it comes as a secondary pet to the Dusk Spiderling at any time of day.

Ondonnick
Top Rater
Pet Score:1423
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Ondonnick » February 9th, 2013, 7:03 pm

[pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet]

Great pet, strong and I love the animation for Elementium Bolt. Nothing better than 1 shotting an opponent with it.

Nataku
Pet Score:11679
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Nataku » February 9th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Soul of the Aspects My actual team is composed of him and [pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet]. Together they have enough firepower to blast every grand master tamer and spirit tamer (with the exeption of the earthen, this one sucks without a rabbit^^) off to the nether (and thankfully it's easy leveling for low lvl pets if you use Deathy's Elementium Bolt at enemy hp below ~750 and toss in your leveling pet the round it would impact :P). This lies mainly in the Aspect's ability Reflection which sadly will be nerfed in patch 5.2. :(

Reflection is somewhat strange. It works slightly different from the tooltip's description: If you activate Reflection, all dmg the Soul would take in this round is negated. Oh, and even if your opponent is faster than the Soul and attacks first, Reflection will block the attack. But this alone would make it not really better than i.e. Soul Ward.
But Reflection has a second component. It reflects the LAST dmg ability (not all of them) your pet would recieve normally in this round back onto the attacker. Used wisely this makes it in my opinion by far the most potent ability ingame (which could be the cause for it to be nerfed :( ).

An example:
The water spirit tamer often opens the fight with his goldfish (sry, i forgot his name :x). He will always use Whirlpool first. I could reflect this ability, but i choose not to. Instead i attack him with Claw.
Next round, he'll use Dive, and submerges. As i could not do any dmg to him this round, i pass.
Now to the interesting round: In this round normally my pet would have to eat the two hard dmg attacks he casted the rounds before. But now i use Reflection. His Dive misses and because Whirlpool does it's dmg after the round would finish normally, it's reflected back on him, damaging and rooting him.
At this point the fight is over for this enemy pet. Before he could do any dmg to my Soul, he'll die to Claw and Surge of Light, leaving only a second Whirlpool debuff on me in his last round.
If all attacks hit, i'm able to defeat all 3 pets of this tamer with the Soul alone.

This is only one example of the potent possibilities you have with this ability. The harder your enemy would hit you the better for you. I'll miss it when the patch hits. :(
Last edited by Nataku on February 9th, 2013, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pheoria
Top Rater
Pet Score:1228
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Pheoria » February 9th, 2013, 7:11 pm

Arcane Eye and Restless Shadeling in Deadwind Pass never have any other pets join when fighting them so they are an easy way to start leveling up low level pets. Just switch them out after one attack, kill it and move on to the next one. Rinse, wash, repeat :)

Naplam
Top Rater
Pet Score:11279
BattleTag®:Naplam#1702
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Naplam » February 9th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Onyxian Whelpling

The 5th WoW Anniversary Onyxian Whelp is one of the best Dragon types to use in battle due to it's incredible heal, and slow speed which essentially guarantees a double hit from it's Tail Sweep ability.

Irelånd
Pet Score:3534
Realm:Korialstrasz-us

Post by Irelånd » February 9th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Pet Power Leveling!
A great tip to help power level any pet to 25 in an hour, is to have 2 level 25 pets equipped with the lowbie. Put on the Safari hat if you have it for extra XP and then fly to Kara and Winterspring to do your dailies :) ( if you don't have a safari hat this is still a good tip!) Let your lowbie go first in the pet daily battle. ( have a few bandages on hand in case it gets one shot) but if it doesn't pull your pet out and put the level 25 pet in to finish the job :) in just the 2 dailies you can have a level 14 pet. After that go to Vale of Eternal Blossoms and battle random glowflys and frogs until your lowbie is level 25! PoOF!!! Maxed pet in an hour :)

Ilthisper
Pet Score:343
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Ilthisper » February 9th, 2013, 7:59 pm

I haven't had a chance to do a lot of pet battles. I do enjoy the new naming system. It allowed me to name my perky pug what I call my mother in laws pug in real life "crazy face jones".

As you can tell from this video: http://youtu.be/1fWwpYBE_4A he is a little bit crazy. He definitely does not like linoleum floors. Make sure you have your sound on so you can hear his little tap dance routine.

Blackmagick666
Pet Score:1360
Realm:Hydraxis-us

Post by Blackmagick666 » February 9th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Spectral Tiger Cub

Combine this little magic kitty with a pet that can use Call Darkness and use Prowl then Spectral Strike for some SERIOUS damage.

My favorite pet to combine with Spectral Tiger Cub is Feline Familiar. Use Prowl then Call Darkness to do (not AS much but still) SERIOUS damage.

I call it: BOOM BOOM Kitty Death.

Alfonzzo
Pet Score:5574
BattleTag®:Alfonzzo#1981
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Alfonzzo » February 9th, 2013, 8:01 pm

When dueling Aki the Chosen in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, the Anubisath Idol can be used to level any level 1 non-elemental pet by using it's Sandstorm ability versus her critter Chirrup

Chirrup's only damaging ability Swarm is rendered useless by Sandstorm's damage shield, so you can safely swap in your level 1 pet and get an attack in before swapping back the Idol to finish the fight.

I lead with Anubisath Idol who's humanoid Crush is effective against Stormlash the Dragonkin and Sandstorm is effective against the Aquatic Whiskers. With a bit of luck he can solo the whole fight, but otherwise follow up with any Aquatic killer with a defense against Whiskers Dive. I like Spawn of Onyxia.

Wear your Safari Hat and watch your level 1 pet race to level 11 in one fight!

P.S. this doesn't work for elemental pets as they are immune to weather effects and don't benefit from Sandstorm's damage shield.

Ironboxy
Pet Score:3428
Realm:Frostmane-us

Post by Ironboxy » February 9th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Infinite Whelpling works really well on Darkmoon pet daily, the trick is to use Early Advantage on Tonk, and Tail Sweep on Judgement, use its heal Healing Flame whenever you expected to get a big hit as you get healed for half of the last hit taken. You can safely 1v2 using those combo. ;)