1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Vephriel
MVP
Pet Score:13840
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Vephriel » February 9th, 2013, 5:10 am

The Fungal Abomination is an infectious ally who'll really grow on you if you give him the chance. With a sinister arsenal of DoTs at his disposal sure to nauseate and deteriorate any opponents, along with a stubborn set of self heals, he really breaks the mold. He's a bit of a spore loser, so if all else fails he can still make a viral comeback during his immortal Undead round. Give him a chance, it's the yeast you can do!

He may look grumpy but he's a fun guy, I really took a lichen to him!

Byntaran
Pet Score:2762
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Byntaran » February 9th, 2013, 6:06 am

Frosty was part of my original team of 3 to hit level 25. Call Blizzard is a hard hitter, and Ice Tomb can get you an extra shot with a good stun percentage. (Which will almost always cause a Trainer to swap pet.) Throw in really high health at 1800, and it can crush a lot of foes.

Krool
Top Rater
Pet Score:10363
BattleTag®:Krool#1722
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Krool » February 9th, 2013, 6:22 am

Amethyst Shale Hatchling

Hopefully my tip for farming this little guy will help pet collectors save some time. As the comments state, there are tons of these little guys on the purple side entrance to Mauradon. What I found worked best though was to farm this guy at the Therazane Throne in Deepholm. When you capture Amethyst Shale Hatchling in Deepholm it will be a much higher level than the ones outside Mauradon, assisting you in acquiring the Singing Cricket. That's not the only bonus though, I ended up finding rare versions of all but two of the other Deepholm Battle Pets as secondaries at Therazane's Throne. This made collecting all the Battle Pets from Deepholm much easier. Once I had rares of everything except Emerald Shale Hatchling and Crimson Geode, I left Therazane's Throne and headed over to the Crimson Expanse.

Simenon
Pet Score:3946
BattleTag®:Simenon#2667
Realm:Nemesis-eu

Post by Simenon » February 9th, 2013, 7:43 am

Horned Lizard
This pet can spawn in groups of three at the Cradle of the Ancients, in Uldum. Each one of the group will have the same rarity and adds, but if you only kill two of them, leaving one up, and mark that one, after about 6 minutes they will respawn, and this time they'll be different from the marked one.
While you wait for them to respawn, you can run around the Cradle killing all other groups of three pets that are not lizards, in hope that they spawn and you can repeat the process with them.
This is how I got my rare Horned Lizard.

Neuromantegoblin
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Quel'Thalas-us

Post by Neuromantegoblin » February 9th, 2013, 7:49 am

Crow

These come as backups only in the Darkmoon Faire woods, and only as backup when you engage the Darkmoon Glowfly. They range in level from 5 to 10 depending on the fly's level, obviously, but they are very hard to find, as backups for the fly also include adders, roaches, gulls and other flies.
If you are looking to catch one of these, make sure you have either Terrible Turnip or low level pets in your roster, otherwise you risk killing the bird.

Smidgeons
Pet Score:3616
Realm:Shadowsong-eu

Post by Smidgeons » February 9th, 2013, 7:59 am

Luckily I had magical-crawdad before pet battles started and man am I glad. This little guy is indestructible and with his Wish ability (that returns half of his massive health pool he just keeps on going. magic-lamp also has this ability, but it doesn't have Mr Pinchy's general toughness :)

Great for levelling other pets and for surviving almost any battle, I can not recommend this little guy enough. The elsanglin website is full of tips on hunting him down, just check out their Mr Pinchy section. Good luck :)

Madwizard78
Pet Score:9253
Realm:Shu'halo-us

Post by Madwizard78 » February 9th, 2013, 8:51 am

If you're having a hard time with the Whispering Pandaren Spirit, try an Emerald Whelpling. Using it's Emerald Presence and Emerald Dream you can take out most or all of the pets. It can just take a long while if you're not lucky with some crits.

Hawksong
Pet Score:3000
Realm:Terenas-us

Post by Hawksong » February 9th, 2013, 9:02 am

Turtles and crabs are among the most amazing pets in the game. True, there are a lot of amazing pets - but these two sorts are really incredible in my experience.

Emerald Turtle - the only pet with Emerald Bite, and thus the only Aquatic I've seen that can lay a hurtin' on a Flying opponent. Get Moonlight going, and you've got even more damage.

Shore Crab - The battle may take longer, but with the ability to block incoming damage and heal itself, the Crab just can't be stopped! After listening to my sister and two of my guildies proclaim this pet's talents, I finally gave one a chance, and was most pleasantly surprised. He even makes Okrut Dragonwaste into a whimpering sissy.

Nuprometheus
Pet Score:5326
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Nuprometheus » February 9th, 2013, 9:03 am

Crow

One of the best pets against aquatic battle pets. For abilities equip Alpha Strike, Call Darkness, and Nocturnal Strike. Start with Call Darkness, not only does this blind pets which makes Nocturnal Strike always hit for a large amount of damage, it also reduces healing, which is helpful since most aquatic pets have healing abilities like turtles for example. Next hit with Nocturnal Strike, and if need be finish off your opponent with Alpha Strike. If you notice your opponent has the Cleansing Rain ability, start off with Alpha Strike, since Cleansing Rain is almost always cast early on, then counter with Call Darkness followed by Nocturnal Strike. This pet is very effective against those annoying aquatic pets some of the Spirit Tamers have.
Last edited by Nuprometheus on February 9th, 2013, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiljare
Pet Score:12949
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Kiljare » February 9th, 2013, 9:07 am

One of my favorite "Go To" pets for his ability to solo several encounters and aid in the leveling of other companion pets is the Anubisath Idol which can be gotten by defeating the Twin Emperor's in AQ40.

The two abilities when combined that allow the Anubisath Idol to handle a variety of situations are Reflection and Sandstorm.

Reflection allows you to not only have any ability used against you do no damage but in the majority of cases you are able to use that same ability against your opponent (some notable exceptions are Pump used by several aquatic type battle pets and Lock-On which is used by a few mechanical type battle pets, Honky-Tonk of the Darkmoon Faire being a prime user. When these abilities are reflected you simply gain the Pump/Lock-On buff but are unable to use it).

Sandstorm reduces the damage taken by all pets for 9 rounds as well as the accuracy of abilities by 10%. This allows for debuffs such as poisons, persistent abilities that stay active through swapped pets like Wild Winds and whole team AoE spells such as Tidal Wave to be completely negated or largely ignored due to the reduced damage they will do. Another benefit of this ability is that Swarm type abilities will do no damage the majority of the time allowing you to have a low level pet active against a high level opponent for a swap in round.

Some examples of his usefulness are versus Aki the Chosen <Grand Master Pet Tamer> in Vale of the Eternal Blossom. Aki has 3 pets, Stormlash, Chirrup and Whiskers.

Starting the fight against Stormlash he opens with a hard hitting ability that you want to use Reflection against called Call Lightning. After that you simply Crush him until you win.

Following Stormlash's defeat Chirrupwill come out. You want to open with Sandstorm. Since Chirrup''s only attacking ability is Swarm and will miss almost all the time due to Sandstorm you can swap in a low level pet to get an active round and credit for experience making this fight a great one to use for leveling. After swapping your Anubisath Idol back in simply rotate between Crush and Sandstorm as needed to victory.

Lastly Whiskers will come in. Your Anubisath Idol can kill him as well, though a bit slower than if you used a Flying type. Reflection against Dive, Sandstorm, which happens to be strong against Aquatic types, and Crush do the job.

Two other fights that are soloable by the Anubisath Idol making them great for leveling are the Flowing Pandaren Spirit and the Burning Pandaren Spirit. Two of the three pets used in the Flowing Pandaren Spirit fight use Tidal Wave which is almost entirely negated by Sandstorm and timing your Reflection you can cancel out both the Whirlpool and Geyser of the Pandaren Water Spirit and Dive from Marley.

For the Burning Pandaren Spirit you want to make sure you start the fight against Crimson the Dragonkin.

Start the fight with Crush which is strong against Dragonkin and Crimson will cast Cyclone.

Next you want to use Sandstorm which will miss because Crimson will have cast Lift-Off but you will vastly reduce the damage done by Cyclone to your team (including the low level pet you want to level).

Next you want to use Reflection for when Crimson swoops down to attack from Lift-Offf and you will attempt to hit him with it instead. Following that you simply Crush until he is defeated.

Depending on your luck with hitting/missing your Reflection cooldown may be a little off for fighting the Pandaren Fire Spirit but it will still easily be soloable. If you have been lucky you will get hit first with Conflagrate which you will use Crush in response to.

After that the Pandaren Fire Spirit will cast Cauterize and you will cast Crush again.

If Reflection is off cooldown this is where you want to use it, the Pandaren Fire Spirit will cast Immolate which would do some damage and put a DoT on you. Don't worry if your Reflection isn't up yet, it will slow the fight down but it's still doable as Sandstorm will reduce the damage you take from the DoT. The Pandaren Fire Spirit is an elemental though and is immune to the weather effects so if you use Reflection against Immolate and put the DoT up on him, he will take full damage from the ticks.

After that it's mostly rinse and repeat with Crush or using Reflection on the next Conflagarate if it wasn't up for Immolate.

Finally you fight Glowy last who has two poisons and Swarm all three of which are essentially negated by Sandstorm allowing you to swap in your low level pet against him for an active round before switching back to the Anubisath Idol to finish the fight.

These are just a few examples of what this fantastic pet is capable of and no matter which fight I am doing he is almost always a member of my team due to his versatility and capable attacks.

Zyden
Pet Score:4600
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Zyden » February 9th, 2013, 9:15 am

Scourged Whelpling

This Pet is the ideal choice when battling against a Dragonkin. The Undead Variety has natural immunities to Dragonkin attacks. This little guy also has 2 Very strong Humanoid abilities that do additional damage to Dragonkin Call Darkness and Dreadful Breath. This is the only Undead I have found to have this. Most of the time the Dragonkin you battle with be faster then this Whelpling so a good choice would be to use Tail Sweep in addition to the Humanoid attacks.

Kaitz
Pet Score:3036
BattleTag®:Kaitz#2808
Realm:Ghostlands-eu

Post by Kaitz » February 9th, 2013, 9:36 am

Guardian Cub -> http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/flying/mythical/guardian-cub/

This pet is amazing to battle with! I levelled it initially as i hadnt levelled a flying type and hes cute. A great perk to continue levelling him!

He has two moves which are perfect together, firstly his Roar ability to increase his damage done for the next three rounds and then using Reckless Strike which is hard hitting to begin with but coupled with Roar, takes 2-3 shots to take out a pet at level 25, sure you get a debuff that increases your damage taken but they wont be around for long for you to take a great deal of damage.

Kaitz~
Please visit my blog: [url]http://memoirsofapetcollector.blogspot.co.uk/[/url]

Marcheli
Pet Score:1753
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Marcheli » February 9th, 2013, 9:42 am

Spawn of Onyxia

1st slot - Tail Sweep - when slower than enemy it hits 2 times :-) and trust me you WILL be slower most of the time :-P
2nd slot - Healing Flame - just when things got hard
3rd slot - Lift-Off - good timing will let you avoid bad things and deal massive dmg next round

Was my first pet lvled to 25 and I am using it almost in every battle since then :-)

Fangi
Pet Score:2104
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Post by Fangi » February 9th, 2013, 9:58 am

Festering Maggot really likes likes Moonlight weather! Its Consume ability gets even better in it.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » February 9th, 2013, 9:59 am

Magical Crawdad
So you've read about the T.Turnip and his weakening blow but tamer-wise I like the sunny day attack.

It hits tamer's backline pets and the DMFaire Tamer Feasal (when the Eye starts) and Major Payne(when the bear starts)
can be wiped out completely by using the Crawdad/Turnip combo.

The Crawdad's wish heals for plenty and the turnip swaps in to hit the opponents backline pets..you end up battling one pet
only vs these trainers. The DMFaire trainer can be beaten at lvl 22 or so .. you need 24 or 25 for M.Payne in Icecrown.

All good for leveling your 3rd pet and a cheap option(turnip can be bought for 500-600gold) if you're a patient angler for MrPinchy

Good luck all

Enzzo
Pet Score:6336
Realm:Executus-us

Post by Enzzo » February 9th, 2013, 10:09 am

Anubisath Idol - With Stoneskin and Sandstorm, the damage he takes from attacks is decreased substantially. Whittle your opponents down with Crush. One of the most [url=http://warpets.info/post/40236898105/pet-spotlight-anubisath-idol]useful[/url] battle pets around. Especially effective vs. Dragons.

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Aur » February 9th, 2013, 10:18 am

[pet]Lil' Tarecgosa[/pet] - A great pet that can be under-rated. Surge of Power is an excellent finishing move, especially combined with Wild Magic. Since this she a Dragonkin, the passive boost to damage under 25% hp means it will one-shot most pets. Plus, it is fun to watch the big numbers fly by!

Korom
Pet Score:4354
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Korom » February 9th, 2013, 10:24 am

Emperor Crab

This pet comes in a Power/Power configuration and has a big heal, a big attack ( whirlpool )after two rounds and surge. So the slowness of the P/P does not matter as principle attack is surge (which always goes first). In my opinion this is one of the most powerful pets in the game.

Lilpetshop
Pet Score:1656
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Lilpetshop » February 9th, 2013, 10:30 am

Magical Crawdad
Once upon a time, there was a lonely Tauren Druid named Treehûgga who stumbled upon Blackwind Lake while searching for fishing pools to level up his Fishing skill. He equipped his Strong Fishing Pole and cast his line into a waiting Highland Mixed Pool. As he nibbled on his Mok'Nathal Shortibs, there was a slight tug on his line. He reeled in his line and fished up Mr. Pinchy! Wow! What to do with this strange creature? Mr. Pinchy told Treehûgga to speak with him and he would be granted three wishes of which he could wish once every 4 hours. Treehûgga was overjoyed and immediately asked for his first wish. His first wish yielded a Benevolent Mr. Pinchy who followed him around for 10 minutes protecting him from any horrible monsters lurking around the lake. 4 hours later, Treehûgga excitedly made his second wish. This time Treehûgga was given a small gift box which contained Healing potions and Super Mana potions. He was happy with this gift. After another 4 hours had passed, Mr. Pinchy granted Treehûgga his third and final wish: A Magical Crawdad Box. Treehûgga used the box and received a Magical Crawdad pet. Mr. Pinchy was so impressed with Treehûgga's gratitude that he gave him a new battle pet! Treehûgga was so happy to have a new friend to travel the World of Warcraft with. Treehûgga named his Magical Crawdad Snapz. After the first few battles, Snapz impressed Treehûgga with his large health pool and Renewing Mists. As the sun set on Azeroth, Treehûgga turned to Snapz and said, "You know what Snapz? I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."