1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Agramonia
Top Rater
Pet Score:13749
BattleTag®:Agra#2451
Realm:Chamber of Aspects-eu
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Agramonia » February 8th, 2013, 3:28 pm

Celestial Dragon

My favorite pet together with Wild Crimson Hatchling and Wild Jade Hatchling make a good team to fight the Whispering Pandaren Spirit.

Jessiwolf
Pet Score:7351
Realm:The Scryers-us

Post by Jessiwolf » February 8th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Gilded Moth - This pet can be difficult to find as it does not spawn as a secondary. Killing critters and battle pets in the area will eventually cause a group of 3 Gilded Moths for pet battles to spawn. Battle only two and keep 1 remaining, this will ensure another 2 battle pets spawn again instead of critters.

Minqua
Pet Score:2427
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Minqua » February 8th, 2013, 3:39 pm

My default team consists of

Clockwork Gnome
a snake like Adder
Water Waveling

This team was great for leveling up my first team of lvl 25 pets! Before I was able to grab the water waveling at around level 21 or 22 I think I ran with 2 snakes and the clockwork gnome.

Clockwork Gnome in my opinion is very powerful and useful. He is a mech which is good against critters and beasts. Plus you can put down a turret, build turret then metal fist until the next turret is ready. Then you can hit his auto repair. While he repairs himself your turrets keep attacking. Often I wind up with my first opponent pet dead and my Clockwork Gnome at near full health! The mech racial is really nice too.

The combo I linked above is great for most trainers up to pandaria. I found adding a moth like Garden Moth and a snail like Rapana Whelk to my teams was very important for success against the pandaria trainers. The moth eats water pets and the whelk eats elementals and flying pets.

Bekkir
MVP
Pet Score:2736
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Bekkir » February 8th, 2013, 3:44 pm

The fastest way I found to level up low pets is to bring them into a battle against a battle trainer and let your other pets carry them to victory.

Farmer Nishi is my favorite daily quest giver because I can bring very low level pets in and not worry about them dying. All you have to do is make sure the pet you want to level can survive one blast from Sunlight, and you bring your Sea Pony.

Start the daily battle with your low level pet. If Siren (the Sunflower) is up first, it will cast Sunlight. Attack once with your low level pet to make sure it gets credited with XP, then switch to your Sea Pony. Cast Cleansing Rain to heal up your pets and increase water damage. Siren will continue to heal themselves, posing no danger to you, so just spam Tidal Wave. Eventually Siren will cast Sunlight again, simply follow it up with Cleansing Rain to keep your low level pet safely healed up. It takes awhile, but you can continue this pattern until all the back row pets are dead and you never have to face them!

Sea Pony also has the Pump ability. Use it once and you can do 10% more damage with Tidal Wave, making the fight a little bit shorter. Then when the back row pets are dead, using Pump a second time is almost guaranteed to finish off Siren. Enjoy your XP!

(P.S. Don't forget your Safari Hat. If you start a battle and notice you don't have it on, you can open your bags (default button 'shift+B') and equip it mid-battle!)

Yrenni
Pet Score:5073
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Yrenni » February 8th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Crystal Beetle or any other cockroach or beetle that has the Apocalypse ability makes a great addition to your team. Apocalypse can make taking out the hardest bosses a walk in the park. Simply start the fight with your beetle, cast Apocalypse as your first or second action, keep fighting a bit until your beetle is too badly hurt, and then swap it for a fresh one. As long as you manage to beat the first 2 pets, Apocalypse will get rid of the 3rd one and give you the fight. It will also kill your current pet, but as long as you have a living pet in the back row, it will win the day! It's especially useful against trainers that have Elemental pets (like the Pandaren Spirits trainers) as your Critter beetle will be more resistant to their attacks!

Bootyshorts
Pet Score:2451
Realm:Destromath-us

Post by Bootyshorts » February 8th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Gilnean Raven

Available only to worgen players, this pet is originally uncommon. Being one of the first pets I upgraded to rare showed an immediate impact! With high attack and the unique ability combo unavailable to other flyers, Call Darkness into Nocturnal, this pet packs a powerful punch!!! Combined with other pets that do burst damage during blind leaves your foes shocked!

Shelbzilla
Pet Score:1597
Realm:Skullcrusher-us

Post by Shelbzilla » February 8th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Azure Whelpling - I know he's a bit annoying to get, but he sure is worth it! I found the best way to get him was to do a continuous sweep around the Lake Kel'Theril. Once you make a full rotation, they will have respawn again. He's always my last pet to go into pet battle. I call him the cleanup crew. Whenever something is looking a bit tough, I cast his Surge of Power and it's almost always an instant kill. He is definitely a must-have if you plan on taking on pets at a higher level than you.

Swamprat
Pet Score:4192
BattleTag®:swamprat#1697
Realm:Drak'Tharon-us

Post by Swamprat » February 8th, 2013, 4:19 pm

kun-lai runt has become my persional fav to power lvl my low lvls....he is super easy to find in rare and is lvl 20-23 when taimed so a very quick lvl..once you have him maxed take him outside of half hill the area is full of critters....you can then put any lowbies including lvl ones (except for lvl 1-5 humanoids) hit once put your runt in and let him solo the team with no problem..his rampage normaly one shots one of the team..and his thrash only takes 3-4 hits per critter to finish them ....with this methoid of going to half hill to sm and healing within 1st 11-12 battles ur lvl 10....1st 15-17 ur 15....and in total in just under an hr u can max a pet from 1-25..the only time u will run into problems with this method is with a lvl 1-5 humanoid...but then u just lvl them so they can take the 1 hit and its no longer an issue.

gl all hope this works aswell for yall as it has for me
Last edited by Swamprat on February 8th, 2013, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rayzan
Pet Score:2949
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Rayzan » February 8th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Jade Oozeling

With a breed 4 (P/P - 1481HP, 325P, 244S), and the combo Acidic Goo, Corrosion and Absorb. This pet will be a hard hitting opponent and at the same time regain lots of health.
+ The pet is of Magic type and hence enemies can not damage it for more than 40% of its maximum health per attack.

Vaerosi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10251
BattleTag®:Vaerosi#1664
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Vaerosi » February 8th, 2013, 4:29 pm

I've found that my Dragon Kite is not only one of the most unique pets out there, but is the ultimite anti-Beast battler too!

Reason #1 for being Unique: As a Flying-type pet, he takes reduced damage from beast attacks, but what makes him shine more than any other Flying-type pet is the fact that he's the only one with a Mechanical attack too - Call Lightning - which is strong against Beasts!

Reason #2 for being Unique: Out of all four of the Kites that you can collect, Chi-ji Kite, Dragon Kite, Tuskarr Kite, and [pet]Yu'lon Kite[/pet], the Dragon Kite is the only one that can actually fight for you!

Reason #3 for being Unique: The Dragon Kite is currently the only pet in the game who knows the Volcano ability! This is a potent ability that deals damage and can stun your opponent, but I didn't use it for the longest time since the in-game tooltip is currently broken and only says "After 2 rounds, the ground erupts for 2" which seemed awful for an ability that was on a 5-round cooldown. It wasn't until I looked it up here and read the full tooltip that I realized it was infinitely better than the kite's other ability for that slot, Lift-Off. :oops:

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » February 8th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Lots of people are aware of the Combination attack of Call Lightning and the Clockwork Gnome's Turrets, but not many people realize the healing capability that can be had with Turrets as well.

Couple the Clockwork Gnome with a Restless Shadeling, Scourged Whelpling or Stitched Pup and you have a great combo with Plagued Blood and the Clockwork Gnome Turret.

Apply Plagued Blood to your enemy and then bring out your Clockwork Gnome each time the Turret strikes your foe your Clockwork Gnome will be healed.

Guldrun
Top Rater
Pet Score:6734
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Guldrun » February 8th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Scourged Whelpling

Is one of the favourite pets for those difficult fights, especially against those Pandaren Spirits, if you are too close to deal with them, but they have an specially killer combo, just use Call Darkness and combo it with Plagued Blood and keep doing Tail Sweeps.

Eventually, if you die, you will be revived, it will buy you that extra time to finish off that pesky pet wich whom you are having troubles with.

Audasis
Top Rater
Pet Score:5144
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Audasis » February 8th, 2013, 4:44 pm

Magical Crawdad - Does anyone remember PvPing against restoration druids of old? My crawdad, Pringle, wreaks comparable frustration upon his foes. He has very high HP, can roll Renewing Mists and use Wish to pop back up from major damage-- just like a lifebloom stack falling off! Best of all, he can easily share his heals with allies. Your enemies will cry in frustration upon seeing your Ancient Blessing buffed Crawdad (or his allies) heal for 50% of his health! If you're looking for a staller, tank, and all around team-player to round out your comp, I strongly recommend this little nuisance. I'm sure that he is almost as annoying to fight as he was to farm ;) .

-Ako

Jelstang
Top Rater
Pet Score:8297
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Jelstang » February 8th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Death Talon Whelpguard - This is probably one of the most annoying fights for those scouring old world raids for pets (this along with any boss that can mind control you) because of the suppression room. This fight can be simplified, though, by placing your back directly against the grate that Broodlord Lashlayer spawns in front of. If you do so, the speed debuff will clear, and you'll be able to use your abilities normally.

Oh, and one more comment based on another entry I saw: An even better way to level your pets is to find some regular pet battle in Pandaria that one of your level 25 pets can handle by himself. Kill the first two pets, and get the last pet down to as low health as possible (fighting something like a Golden Civet with Survival ability is ideal), and then get your level 25 pet killed. Put in your lowest level pet that can survive a hit or two, one shot the remaining pet, and collect ALL the experience from all three pets you defeated.

Sam
Pet Score:1242
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Sam » February 8th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Magical Crawdad

I find that I can solo many groups with him. Between Renewing Mists and Wish he's almost always near health at the end of a battle as well.

Avellynn
Top Rater
Pet Score:4708
BattleTag®:VidaBQ#1972
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Avellynn » February 8th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Pandaren Monk

Awesome against dragonkin. Using Focus Chi followed by Fury of 1,000 Fists does HUGE amounts of damage.

I use it on the Pandaren Fire Spirit daily and the Outland daily
Last edited by Avellynn on February 10th, 2013, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moozipan
Pet Score:12470
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Moozipan » February 8th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Here's how I use Darkmoon Zeppelin to level my pets from level 1.

Go to The Veiled Stair. All of the battle pets here are critters.

Load up:

Darkmoon Zeppelin with Decoy loaded.
The pet you want to level. Level 1 is fine.
Any pet that is strong against critters.

Begin the battle. On the first turn, use the Zeppelin to drop Decoy.
On the second turn, swap in the lowbie. The enemy pet will attack the Decoy.
On the third turn, swap in the pet that is strong against critters. Mow the rest of them down.
There is a stable master right outside the Tavern in the Mists, so you can heal up with little effort.

Notes:
The first battle will get your pet to either level 5 or 6. They will get roughly a level each fight until about level 9, and at that point you don't have to use the zeppelin anymore. They can take a hit.

Very, very rarely, the enemy pet will do an attack on the first turn that "eats" the decoy. If this happens, just battle with your critter-strong pet and kill a couple of the enemies, then put the decoy down when it is up again.

If you are an herbalist, you will have bags full of Silkweed after a little time here.

Valkrye
Pet Score:3724
Realm:Twisting Nether-us

Post by Valkrye » February 8th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Best pet to use?
Plump Turkey
Don't be deceived by his cute looks and fear of fires! This turkey packs a punch! First, you can use slicing wind, which can deal up to three hits! If you want to live longer, you can use squawk to lower the enemies damage or Gobble Strike to increase your speed. But I think the best move Mr. Turkey has is food coma. This awesome move puts your enemy to sleep for 3 rounds! VERY handy for catching wild pets or getting in a few hits safely!

MarySommer
Pet Score:10458
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by MarySommer » February 8th, 2013, 5:04 pm

The Celestial Dragon was one of my very first 3 lvl 25's. That team managed to get me ALL of the battle tamer achievements. The Celestial Dragon carried that team for most of it with his awesome heal and damage potential. However, the biggest tip I can offer for using him is to remember not to cast Moonfire if your enemy is magic! I believe it boosts their magical damage too! I couldn't defeat the DMF trainer's Judgement pet with the Celestial Dragon until I realized that -not- casting Moonfire meant that Judgement did less damage. ;)

MarySommer (aka: Seleanafae)