1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by NathKnave » February 8th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Ever since I used a Flawless Humanoid Battle-Stone to upgrade Peddlefeet, he's become integral to my strategy against Bloodknight Antari, the master tamer of Outland in Shadowmoon Valley.

When leveling a lowbie on this tamer, he has allowed me to completely ignore which of Antari's pets comes first in the battle. Starting out with my lowbie, I'll let it get one hit in. Then, if Arcanus (the magical pet) is his main pet, I'll swap over to Peddlefeet and use his Lovestruck attack to stun it. This causes him to switch out Arcanus for Jadefire (elemental) while I swap over to Chuck. If Jadefire is the first pet Antari brings out, I just switch right to Chuck. Chuck will make quick work of Jadefire with Rip and Blood in the Water. Against Arcanus, Chuck is pretty ineffective, but can still get a couple hits in before being taken down. Then I bring in Peddlefeet to finish off Arcanus. Antari's final pet, Netherbite, is a dragonkin and vulnerable to Peddlefeet's humanoid attacks. Peddlefeet is also faster than Netherbite, making the various avoidance abilities he uses half as effective. I start off by using Lovestruck to stun, which allows me to take a full turn to power up Shot Through the Heart, which will hit for quite a bit. Then it's just a matter of waiting until you can get another shot through the dodge or the shield that he uses.

Nicoleigh
Pet Score:3145
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Nicoleigh » February 8th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Arcane Eye is great for leveling lower level pets. It is a single pet in battle.

Katiecat14
Top Rater
Pet Score:5175
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Katiecat14 » February 8th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Tip for max leveling pets

After you've gotten at least two pets to level 25, take a low level pet (level 4-5) and fight the Eternal Strider found just outside the Moshu'gan palace, by the water in Pandaria. If you attack once with the lower level pet, then switch to a higher level pet and win the fight, your low level pet will jump to level 7. Every fight you win against the Eternal Striders after the low level has turned to level 7 will cause the low level pet to jump up one level until the late teens. It's a very easy way to level pets to max level!

Lady shadow
Pet Score:5838
Realm:Thunderlord-us

Post by Lady shadow » February 8th, 2013, 1:21 pm

Azure Whelpling

This rare little whelp is my favorite pet, to kill the last pet standing, Surge of Power is a deadly ability that can one shot a pet, and for me it has a high critical chance.

Kaiyou
Top Rater
Pet Score:2289
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Kaiyou » February 8th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Silkbead Snail

I have found that this pet is great for taking out the Pandaren Spirit Tamers, especially the Earth Spirit. First, use Acidic Goo for the +25% damage increase. Then, use Dive. Since elementals are weak against aquatic, this abilty coupled with the +25% damage increase will do lots of damage. Then finish it off with Absorb. Also, since the Silkbead Snail is a critter, it takes -33% damage from elemental attacks, which is useful against the Earth Spirit.

Vampiremaiden
Pet Score:5895
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Vampiremaiden » February 8th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Snarly - When using this pet apply his bleed effect then use blood in the water to devastate competition even if they aren't weak against it.

Adaneth
Pet Score:2550
Realm:Proudmoore-eu

Post by Adaneth » February 8th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Struggling to get Fezwick down when fighting Jeremy Feasel on the darkmoon fair? Put Fluxfire Feline in your team and onehit the annoying beast :mrgreen: .

Ratric
Pet Score:3090
Realm:Staghelm-us

Post by Ratric » February 8th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Emperor crab is a perfect anchor pet in a team especially vs. teams with water creatures such as the pandaren water spirit battle. Keep Renewing mists and shell shield up at all times even though it means you don't attack for the first 2 turns. Use snap on opponent whenever possible.

CutieTaunie
MVP
Pet Score:12014
BattleTag®:Taunie#1587
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by CutieTaunie » February 8th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Terrible Turnip - This pet is the perfect pet for capturing those pesky low level rares that have been eluding you. His ability Weakening Blow can never kill anything, no matter the level of your opposition. However, I suggest making sure his second slotted abilitiy is the harmless Inspiring Song and be extra careful to not use either of his third abilities... accidentally slaying that rare that finally showed up is heartbreaking.

Ncanthrope
MVP
Pet Score:7893
Realm:Spinebreaker-us

Post by Ncanthrope » February 8th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Im just starting to level my pets up so I leveled stinker first because of his bleat ability. I start off with a lowbie, wait until he is at half health (Or lower, sometimes it is quick) then swap out for stinker to group heal then go to the next lowbie and use that one until they're low. When the 2nd lowbie is drained of health I'll swap in stinker to bleat and finish the battle with stinker or cycle back to the lowbies.

Punchin
Pet Score:2880
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Punchin » February 8th, 2013, 1:59 pm

Horde Balloon

While the balloons aren't actually usable in battle, they can cause battles in groups/raids if you have them out and the healer has trouble clicking on party members and not your pet. Put battle pets away for the good of all while in groups/raids.

Yes, before anybody gets mad, I know a good healer will use addons like healbot instead of actually clicking on the party members.

Debacle
Pet Score:4114
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Debacle » February 8th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Blighthawk

The Blighthawk can be quite powerful in both PVP and PVE. This cute lil bugger has filler attacks in slot one, A massive shot in slot two and that avoidance you are looking for in slot 3! If you set up a blighthawk team with a few of his friends....other blighthawks, you can steam roll the majority of the competition. Lift off is great when you predict that big hit is about to come or even just watch those timers on delayed attacks, as soon as they show 1, fire lift off and that delayed attack will be avoided. Mix up your first slot attacks to help with different pet families and burn up those extra turns or when you are about to die....no reason to spend your rebirth period stunned! That leaves slot two, the big hitter Ghostly Bite, fire this off every time you respawn while dead and if you are running 3 blighthawks, you can use it as often as you like and either, suck up the stun round or bring in your next Blighthawk for another big hit. If you juggle this pet around, you will find yourself winning more than not!

Good Luck,
DocRotten

Wispfox
MVP
Pet Score:9222
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Wispfox » February 8th, 2013, 2:26 pm

Enchanted Broom

The Enchanted Broom may be one of the most ridiculously silly battle pets out there.

"Sorry, I've got to keep cleaning everything up!

You want to fight? Really? Fine! I smack you!

You know I'm full of dust from all the sweeping I do, right? SANDSTORM!

Yeah? I don't like you either! Bring someone else out!

Nothing should get in the way of our battle! Nothing! *Clean-up*"

I get the giggles every time I use it in battle. :)

Irulan
Top Rater
Pet Score:13639
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Irulan » February 8th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Speedy - a small fun fact:

When I was leveling my Speedy I noticed a funny thing showing that Blizzard is consistent in some lore things.
The only possible breed for Speedy is 5 (S/S) which means it has possible highest speed stat, despite turtles tend to have higher health stat. Speedy, indeed!

Riccoon
Pet Score:3206
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by Riccoon » February 8th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Nothing strikes more fear in the heart of the Thundering Pandaren Spirit tamer than a ...what? ...a cute little bunny rabbit?!? :shock:

Yes indeed - any cute little rabbit or hare, with a speed higher than 300, can solo both the Pandaren Earth Spirit and the dreaded Darnak the Tunneler. Bring along a lower level pet for power-leveling, and a pet with strong beast attacks to chew thru his nasty critter Sludgy, and you have a quick and easy battle. (A mech with beast attacks, like Anodized Robo Cub, is a great counter against Sludgy, since Sludgy uses 2 magic attacks, Expunge and Ooze Touch, and an aqua attack, Creeping Ooze)

I use an Arctic Hare breed 3 (B/B), but almost any fast rabbit or hare will do. You will need Flurry, Dodge, and Burrow.

Open with your lower level pet and let it take 1 hit. It doesn't matter which pet the Thundering tamer starts with as long as your leveling pet can absorb 1 hit of of the Earth Spirit's Rupture or Sludgy's Expunge. Then switch to the rabbit to take out the Earth Spirit, or your beast attack pet to take out Sludgy. Then use the rabbit again to finish off Darnak.

The key, of course, is timing the moves: alternate Dodge and Burrow each time the Earth Spirit is going to use Rupture (you can totally ignore Stone Shot, as it is weak against critters). For Darnak, use Dodge right before he comes up from Burrow (which causes the following Stone Rush attack to miss you as well), then use Burrow yourself before his second Stone Rush. Darnak will NEVER even hit you at all, as you chew him down with fast little Flurry's!

Earth Spirit's move set: Prison, Rupture, Shot(3x), Rupture, Prison, Shot(2x), Rupture, Shot(2x)... repeat
Darnak's move set: Stoneskin, Burrow(down), Burrow(up), Stone Rush, (PASS), Stone Rush... repeat

Cute little bunny rabbits! ...who knew?
Last edited by Riccoon on February 8th, 2013, 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gundari
Pet Score:1378
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Gundari » February 8th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Jade Owl - The Jade Owl is a nightmare for any aquatic pet. It is a magical pet with lots of flying abilities like Slicing Wind, and Lift-Off. This gives him extra damage done, and less damage received when fighting most aquatic pets!

Pitchblack
Pet Score:3907
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Pitchblack » February 8th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Having trouble with the master trainers' critter pets? Try a spider!

I use my Feverbite Hatchling, but any spider will do. Simply open with Brittle Webbing, then Leech Life, then Poison Spit and Leech Life again, rinse and repeat. Leech Life will keep your spider's health up, and you can watch the enemy pet kill itself with the Brittle Webbing!

Fun fact: Obalis' beetle usually lasts only 2-3 rounds with this strategy. :twisted:

Sagentine
Pet Score:6852
BattleTag®:Sagentine#1389
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Sagentine » February 8th, 2013, 2:40 pm

I like using Rapana Whelk in the Pandaren Spirit Dailies to wipe out the Pandaren pets with ease. Snails have a strong defense against elementals, Absorb to heal themselves a little each attack, break out of stuns fast, have Shell Shield to absorb extra damage, and have Dive that makes them invulnerable for one round and hits hard the next round with an attack that is strong vs elementals. Good luck to everyone in the contest!

Dingo
Top Rater
Pet Score:13368
BattleTag®:Björn#2652
Realm:Twisting Nether-eu

Post by Dingo » February 8th, 2013, 2:54 pm

I use Clockwork Gnome.
[Lil' Deathwing]
[Lil' Ragnaros] and the are good

Raoryn
Pet Score:2184
Realm:Twisting Nether-eu

Post by Raoryn » February 8th, 2013, 3:12 pm

[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/dragonkin/dragon-whelps/spawn-of-onyxia//url]Spawn of onyxia[/url]

To catch this it helps to kill of other battle pets and critters around to clear up the spawn table to make it spawn faster :)