AFK in PvP, WTF?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Iconyx
Pet Score:2660
Realm:Magtheridon-us
AFK in PvP, WTF?

Post by Iconyx » February 5th, 2013, 10:13 pm

Been happening off and on since I started battling, people will enter a battle immediately go AFK. I assume this is a tactic to rack up XXX number of wins (if players forfeit the match because it's taking too long) for the PvP achievements. Blizzard should implement an auto-forfeit feature, such that after 3-5 missed turns the inactive team is declared AFK and loses. Otherwise, pet battling for serious players loses a lot of its appeal.

End /rant.

Taurnek22
Top Rater
Pet Score:2460
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Re: AFK in PvP, WTF?

Post by Taurnek22 » February 6th, 2013, 3:39 am

Haven't seen it until just now, but you're right. That is incredibly annoying. Luckily for me I have a great deal of patience and just waited them out. Eventually they realized that I wasn't going to give them the easy win and they forfeited. It is a pretty lame thing to do.

Tasenet
Pet Score:2765
Realm:Mannoroth-us

Post by Tasenet » February 6th, 2013, 9:31 am

It's something I've considered for the "win and don't let pets die x times in a row" pvp achievement.

Cerberus
Pet Score:1350
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Cerberus » February 6th, 2013, 11:29 am

I do it as a protest when that dirty overpowered fluxfire feline one-shots me. You want to beat me like that, you're going to have sit there awhile to do it.....

Tasenet

Post by Tasenet » February 6th, 2013, 1:02 pm

It doesn't seem like you can actually AFK in a pet battle. The timer runs out and then the opponent gets to move. Then you stay afk, and then the timer runs out and they just get to move again as if you passed. So you're essentially passing until they win. Am I just not understanding how to AFK then, in a pet battle?

Taurnek22
Top Rater
Pet Score:2460
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Taurnek22 » February 6th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Tasenet wrote:It doesn't seem like you can actually AFK in a pet battle. The timer runs out and then the opponent gets to move. Then you stay afk, and then the timer runs out and they just get to move again as if you passed. So you're essentially passing until they win. Am I just not understanding how to AFK then, in a pet battle?

You're right. What's going on is that whoever you're battling won't pick anything, just lets the timer run out every round. They never actually make any moves of their own, they just hope that you will get frustrated of waiting and forfeit the match so they get the win. Awful way to PVP in my opinion, even if you're trying to get the achievement for not letting pets die.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » February 6th, 2013, 4:39 pm

This sounds really frustrating and an oversight on the developers' part, but hopefully some sort of resolution will be implemented in the near future. :\
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » February 6th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Cerberus wrote:I do it as a protest when that dirty overpowered fluxfire feline one-shots me. You want to beat me like that, you're going to have sit there awhile to do it.....
Instead of doing such a lame thing learn to use a magic/elementary pet instead....

Darky28
Top Rater
Pet Score:3929
BattleTag®:Darky#1885
Realm:Dragonmaw-us

Post by Darky28 » February 7th, 2013, 10:20 am

Just get 3 breed_5 turkeys... and keep the enemy team stunlocked... and wait until your timer ALMOST runs out... noone will ever stay in a match like that

Tasenet

Post by Tasenet » February 7th, 2013, 11:53 am

I might just go ahead and do the turkey thing, just to get that stupid achievement out of the way.

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » February 7th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Drudatz wrote:
Cerberus wrote:I do it as a protest when that dirty overpowered fluxfire feline one-shots me. You want to beat me like that, you're going to have sit there awhile to do it.....
Instead of doing such a lame thing learn to use a magic/elementary pet instead....
Because it amuses me. If you don't like it, that amuses me even more.

Darkke
Top Rater
Pet Score:7826
Realm:Daggerspine-us

Post by Darkke » February 8th, 2013, 10:32 am

Cerberus wrote:Because it amuses me. If you don't like it, that amuses me even more.
I must be Alliance, cause I really dislike trolls.

I haven't pvped much, but this abuse of the timer mechanics is something I'd love to see fixed. Anytime that people can game the system to ruin the game for others is inappropriate. Thankfully Blizzard seems to be on top of the pet battle scene. I'm really glad to see that they didn't just set up the system and forget about it. For example, they ARE bringing the [url=http://www.wowhead.com/npc=68838]Fluxfire Feline[/url] more in line with other pets in 5.2, as it is currently very OP in it's current iteration.

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » February 8th, 2013, 11:03 am

Darkke wrote:
Cerberus wrote:Because it amuses me. If you don't like it, that amuses me even more.
I must be Alliance, cause I really dislike trolls.

For example, they ARE bringing the [url] more in line with other pets in 5.2, as it is currently very OP in it's current iteration.
That's all I ever wanted;)

Waddatoe
Pet Score:2076
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Waddatoe » February 9th, 2013, 10:25 am

I agree that it's frustrating to come across this strategy, but it's an easy win for you if you just wait them out.

Finkployd
Pet Score:4153
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Finkployd » February 9th, 2013, 4:11 pm

I've had this happen at least 10 times this week >< It was pretty annoying. Anyone know if blizzard has made a statement about it yet?

Ilthisper
Pet Score:343
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Ilthisper » February 9th, 2013, 7:39 pm

That sounds ridiculous. Hopefully Blizzard implements a fix for this soon.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » February 9th, 2013, 10:50 pm

How long is the timer in PvP? Sorry, I've never pvp'd before with pets.

Amithyst
Top Rater
Pet Score:11246
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Amithyst » February 11th, 2013, 7:59 am

Yeah I've seen quite a bit of this unfortunately :/ to bad for them I'm not one to leave just because they take a while. lol

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » February 14th, 2013, 7:01 am

Haven't seen that yet but I've only done around 30 PvP battles. I'll tell you one thing, if I encounter that I will not let them have the win.