5.2 PTR: Massive changes inbound for fan favorites

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us
Re: 5.2 PTR: Massive changes inbound for fan favorites

Post by Poofah » February 6th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Mykro9 wrote:Granted it does insta-kill a pet if it hits,
That's the definition of a one-shot: going from full health to 0 in one attack.

Being able to kill a pet in 3 turns (while having 325 speed and likely going first) is overpowered from a damage-per-turn perspective. If it were 4 turns with lower speed, that would be a lot closer to balanced. But being a one-shot is still problematic because it makes healing worthless. Too problematic? I don't know. That problem is overshadowed right now by the sheer damage-per-turn, and since they're taking FFF's Wind-Up away altogether, we probably won't ever know if Wind-Up plus 5.2 Supercharge would have been ok.

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » February 7th, 2013, 7:21 am

Didn't wanna create a new thread for so I'm a bit OTing this but did anyone notice the bolded part from blue about 5.2 currency changes:
PvE
All Valor is converted to Justice
Justice above the 4000 cap is converted to gold at a rate of 47 silver per point

So let’s say the realms go down for the 5.2 patch and you have 450 Valor and 3800 Justice. Because of the 4000 Justice cap, you’d log back in after the patch is released with 0 Valor, 4000 Justice, and be 117 gold and 50 silver richer after the conversion.

With 5.2 we won’t be changing current Valor items to cost Justice, but they will be much cheaper (discounts from 50-75% off their current costs). You’ll need to acquire Valor after the patch is released to buy pieces for their discounted rate, or to buy the new 5.2 Valor items, but we’re also introducing new items to spend your Justice on, including heirlooms and Pet Battle stones.
I wonder does that mean we can get flawless family stones with JP?
- Taking your candles since 2005

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » February 7th, 2013, 11:52 am

Ryazan wrote:Didn't wanna create a new thread for so I'm a bit OTing this but did anyone notice the bolded part from blue about 5.2 currency changes:
That instantly caught my attention and got me wondering. My guess is the reference is to the Battle-Stones that are currently available, but part of me is hoping for something that isn't just completely worthless. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » February 7th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Do you think they are confirming that battle stones that turn pets to GREEN quality is useless? It would be nice if you can buy stones to turn pets to rare.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » February 7th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Mumper on [url=https://twitter.com/mumper/status/299548002945748992]Twitter[/url]:

"No plans for more stones on JP currently."

The blue post was likely mistakenly worded. >_<
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » February 13th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Update to the PTR Patch Notes:
  • Master Trainers in Northrend, Cataclysm, and Courageous Yon will no longer field pets with higher than intended stats.
  • Ghostly Bite's damage has been reduced by 20%. now has a cooldown of 7 rounds (was 3 rounds).
  • Ghostly Skull: Ghostly Bite and Siphon Life have swapped ability positions.
So... I guess Obalis and Payne will finally stop cheating now? :?
ImageImage

Stabya

Post by Stabya » February 14th, 2013, 9:04 am

Were they OP to begin with?

I am guessing this means Payne and Obalis are getting a nerf?

Cabadath
Pet Score:2577
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Cabadath » February 14th, 2013, 9:56 am

RIP FFF vs trainers

Hello, Mr. wiggles (lucky dance) + robo cub (supercharge + demolish)!

(or any other pet with 50 % hitchance high-damage abilities instead of robo cub)

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » February 14th, 2013, 11:44 am

Stabya wrote:Were they OP to begin with?

I am guessing this means Payne and Obalis are getting a nerf?
Oh I certainly hope so!!!!!!

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » February 25th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Oh my goodness.

25 February Patch Notes:
  • Players may now participate in pet battle duels while in the Throne of Thunder instance.
  • Brilliant Kaliri, Jade Tentacle, Tirisfal Batling, Firefly, Jade Crane Chick, Gilnean Raven, and Shore Crawler are no longer available in multiple breeds.
  • Anubisath Idol: Sandstorm and Deflection have swapped ability positions.
1.) Why do people want to duel inside an instance? :?
2.) This is something of a relief, but it could end up being a nerf for some of these pets.
3.) This is a huge nerf for Anubisath Idol.
ImageImage

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » February 25th, 2013, 8:02 pm

It probably makes sense for 1-per-account non-tradeable pets to only come in one breed (Kaliri, Tentacle), but I don't see any reason why the others need this change. Either way, if my Kaliri or Raven is suddenly a bad breedID on patch day, I'll be very annoyed.

I like the Anubisath change a lot. Double shield Anubisath is incredibly boring, he just sits there autoattacking and refreshing shields regardless of what the opponent does, and is just way too effective while doing it. He's already difficult to kill and with all the damage nerfs coming in 5.2 it was just going to get harder. I really like this change because they're preempting a possibly overpowered tank team, but they're not simply gutting him. Instead they're forcing him to interact with the opponent via Deflection in order to survive most effectively. But he's not going to be weak by any stretch.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » February 25th, 2013, 9:38 pm

I was probably going to use deflection anyways. I like its defensive capabilities. I don't think it will change my strat too much.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » February 26th, 2013, 7:40 am

Just noticed the raven on this list, what does that mean for people w/ specific breed? I'm using an s/s, is that going to change?

Slog
MVP
Pet Score:3322
BattleTag®:Bray#1583
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Slog » March 3rd, 2013, 5:58 pm

Poofah wrote:
Mykro9 wrote:Granted it does insta-kill a pet if it hits,
That's the definition of a one-shot: going from full health to 0 in one attack.

Being able to kill a pet in 3 turns (while having 325 speed and likely going first) is overpowered from a damage-per-turn perspective. If it were 4 turns with lower speed, that would be a lot closer to balanced. But being a one-shot is still problematic because it makes healing worthless. Too problematic? I don't know. That problem is overshadowed right now by the sheer damage-per-turn, and since they're taking FFF's Wind-Up away altogether, we probably won't ever know if Wind-Up plus 5.2 Supercharge would have been ok.
The biggest problem I have with the feline is that you can't use mechanical or undead against it. The mechanical rezzes and then immediately dies. The undead just stays dead and doesn't get its hit on the current turn or its extra turn after death.

These bugs make a very strong pet just ridiculous and not fun to play against.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » March 4th, 2013, 9:51 am

It's a nerf to Anubisath Idol all by itself but paired with another pet that can do Sandstorm. I think I'll pair my Enchanted Broom or my Grinder with my Anubisath Idol to keep him at Sandstorm + Stoneskin for some PvE battles.

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » March 4th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Gendou wrote:1.) Why do people want to duel inside an instance? :?
To kill time while waiting for raid to fill, kill time during a break during raid, etc. Why is being able to battle in an instance a bad thing? (If your raiders are being irresponsible and delaying the raid then chastise or sit them.)
Image Image

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » March 5th, 2013, 12:17 am

I was raiding on Sunday, and we took a 15 minute break next to the boss we were working on. One of the healers had out her level 25 Scourged Whelpling. I would have loved to battle her while everyone else was getting a drink/etc. It's something fun to do during raid downtime.

Post by Guest » March 5th, 2013, 11:17 am

Aww boo .. I was prepared for Flux kitty, didn't know Mr. Biggles was getting nerfed too ... man those two kitties were my Payne killers (never PVPed) ... luckily I have lots of other choices ... but boo! I loved my Zombie Bob!

Stabya

Post by Stabya » March 5th, 2013, 11:33 am

The Fluxfire is great if he is helping you roflstomp trainers, but it's impact has been horrendous on PVP, scaring away interest in PVP, and giving a "steriod like" false sense of accomplishment to those who use one on their pvp team, and then crow about it when they win alot.

I have probably overstated my position on how underwhelming the rewards and achievements are for PVP, leaving only the aesthetics of a "Challenge" to chew on for those who keep doing it.

I say Pet PVP begins today with 5.2 - It remains to be seen how often a battle stone will drop, but the playing field is now as level as it has ever been before. Hopefully we will see more people come play.

As for the effect on PVE, it probably is minor, because there will still be a tandem for every trainer out there to continue to powerlevel lowbies, FFF and Reflection nerfs aside.

Rimsala
Pet Score:2580
Realm:The Scryers-us

Post by Rimsala » March 5th, 2013, 10:00 pm

I really hate these changes. I mean, they took away my Fluxfire Feline's core attacks Windup and Supercharge were staples I used.
Then, my Flayer and Anubsith lost their Reflection to toss back the attack at the pet

These were 3 pets I used often to make DAILIES fast. I didn't use them in PVP, I didn't abuse their powers, I just used them to make the dailies go faster.
Now I'm lost, have trouble taking down the tamers and I'm sure a lot of people probably aren't agreeing with me because they seem to hate those pet abilities.

I think that the pet tamer bags should have a higher chance to drop Battle-stones to reward us for this grief and now it's a downright CHORE to do these.
:evil:

HOWEVER:
I don't see why Blizz had to nerf them. Why not put a hold on what pets can be USED IN PVP?
Pokemon tournaments do this all the time I'm told. You can't use Legendaries to fight other people's Pokemon in the league tournaments? And certain Pokemon Card's are allowed in tournaments either.
In Pokemon Wi-Fi you can't bring in a few attacks or there is a limit on what can be used.

Other games have similar rules in play when taking things on-line.

Did people really complain that much about those pet attacks for Blizzard to change things?

Or did Blizzard want us to become so frustrated, angry, and lost at this whole game? Do they want us sitting at our computers for 5 hours doing these stupid dailies?
Doesn't the word "Quick" mean anything to them?
Must everything be some sort of giant effort that shouldn't really be there in a game? Its a GAME. It's losing its fun when it's a bunch of frustrating and aggravating work. its not even fun work at this point.