Emerald Proto-Whelp Domination

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Iconyx
Pet Score:2660
Realm:Magtheridon-us
Emerald Proto-Whelp Domination

Post by Iconyx » January 28th, 2013, 11:54 am

I don't hear a lot of talk about the Emerald Proto-Whelp, but it was my bread and butter for leveling and still maintains a spot in my core rotation for experience grinds. The following setup...

[url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/magic/emerald-bite/[/url]
[url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/dragonkin/emerald-presence/[/url]
[url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/dragonkin/emerald-dream/[/url]

...can counter almost every pet tamer. Emerald Presence blocks a lot of damage (for most DoT's and multi-round abilities, 100% is blocked), Dragonkin racial deals plenty of damage, and Emerald Dream heals for 1200+ health. Also, there are very few Humanoid abilities used by pet tamers (only Counterstrike and Call Darkness AFAIK), Emerald Bite hits for 500 against Flying pets, and Flying abilities (think Pandaren Air Spirit) are weak against Dragonkin.

I'm posting this because as of today, only 12.1% of the community has an updated journal including this pet, when it's one of the best against tamers. Spread the word, this one's a beast.

Darky28
Top Rater
Pet Score:3929
BattleTag®:Darky#1885
Realm:Dragonmaw-us

Re: Emerald Proto-Whelp Domination

Post by Darky28 » January 29th, 2013, 10:03 am

Iconyx wrote:I don't hear a lot of talk about the Emerald Proto-Whelp, but it was my bread and butter for leveling and still maintains a spot in my core rotation for experience grinds. The following setup...

[url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/magic/emerald-bite/[/url]
[url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/dragonkin/emerald-presence/[/url]
[url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/dragonkin/emerald-dream/[/url]

...can counter almost every pet tamer. Emerald Presence blocks a lot of damage (for most DoT's and multi-round abilities, 100% is blocked), Dragonkin racial deals plenty of damage, and Emerald Dream heals for 1200+ health. Also, there are very few Humanoid abilities used by pet tamers (only Counterstrike and Call Darkness AFAIK), Emerald Bite hits for 500 against Flying pets, and Flying abilities (think Pandaren Air Spirit) are weak against Dragonkin.

I'm posting this because as of today, only 12.1% of the community has an updated journal including this pet, when it's one of the best against tamers. Spread the word, this one's a beast.
It is.. and make sure you get a breed 4... all other breeds suck for the proto-whelp :-)

Myrrmi
Pet Score:2466
Realm:The Maelstrom-eu

Post by Myrrmi » January 29th, 2013, 10:09 am

Got mine p/p recently. Unfortunatelly, it's just a poor one, so I'm hoping for a stone soon...

Tasenet
Pet Score:2765
Realm:Mannoroth-us

Post by Tasenet » January 29th, 2013, 11:25 am

It was definitely worth it to keep a lvl 85 alt parked out there to camp for a P/P rare. It's a fantastic pet and I use it on a lot of teams when doing the dailies.

Contesa
Pet Score:3999
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Contesa » January 29th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Myrrmi wrote:Got mine p/p recently. Unfortunatelly, it's just a poor one, so I'm hoping for a stone soon...
i started looking for an Emerald Proto not long after I learned about breeds. Narcoleptic might have been the first pet I ever stoned, he was definitely the first dragonkin I stoned. I had caught a blue but it was the wrong breed and I was just frustrated having spent so much time out there with no success. I use him all the time and although I've used a lot of stones since then, it still may be the best one I ever spent!

I finally got an aquatic stone for my Wanderer's Festival Hatchling last night. I hope you get a stone for your proto soon!

Polynices
Pet Score:4688
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Polynices » January 29th, 2013, 12:31 pm

I guess it's strong but it kills SO DARN SLOW. Feels like it takes forever to beat trainer pets because of all the rounds spent healing instead of attacking and the low damage attack. I'd rather go with a less powerful pet and a much faster fight (flayer youngling and lil' deathwing being my choices there).

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » January 29th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Polynices wrote:I guess it's strong but it kills SO DARN SLOW.
This.
I don't like pets with Emerald Dream, personally. It's a good ability, but makes everything drag way too much to my taste.
I can take on any tamer easily without having to resort to slow pets like this.

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » January 29th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Heh, that's how I feel about my emperor crab. Especially my H/H emperor crab. Yea, I'll outlast almost anything with the shell and the heal, but there are times when it's just a battle of attrition trying to get the other pet down.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » January 29th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Sorry but the drake kills way to slow - better use Anubisath Idol & Fluxfire Feline for FAST kills :D

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » January 29th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Zaelo wrote:
Polynices wrote:I guess it's strong but it kills SO DARN SLOW.
This.
I don't like pets with Emerald Dream, personally. It's a good ability, but makes everything drag way too much to my taste.
I can take on any tamer easily without having to resort to slow pets like this.
I really like Emerald Proto, but I absolutely agree that it's slow. I've phased it out of a lot of my tamer teams by now, but I still use it on at least 4 tamers. So, I'm curious what you replace it with for those fights--I think currently I use:

Courageous Yon: Emerald Proto, Darkmoon Zep (proto is responsible for rabbit and chicken)
Air Spirit: Soul of the Aspects, Emerald Proto (proto is responsible for the air spirit)
Moruk: Darkmoon Zep, Emerald Proto
Obalis: FFF, Emerald Proto (proto is there for the moth in these last 2 cases)

Against the moths, I've tried replacing Proto with Sprite Darter Hatchling/Nether Faerie Dragon/Lil' Tarecgosa/Nexus Whelpling, but Moth Dust RNG has killed those guys more than once so I always fall back to the Proto. Against the Air Spirit, I used Infinite Whelpling for a while--sometimes this made the fight very fast, but if I got a few misses then I'd occasionally lose.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » January 30th, 2013, 6:00 am

Yon - start with FFF against Lapin, switch in S/S Nether Proto Drake (dodge/arcane/moonfire) to take out Piqua, then dodge first Chew attack from Bleat - battle till dead, lowbie in after death, swap straight for FFF and windup/windup to kill the goat.

Air Spirit - I still use Emerald Proto, anything else seems too reliant on RNG.

Moruk - Onyxia/Ooze. Onyxia starts, lift-off the burrow (Woodcarver always burrows as second move), kill moth, die to the Terrapin, lowbie in on death, switch to ooze, DoT, DoT, Consume, Consume, win.

Obalis - Onyxia/FFF. Need to start against the moth. Tail sweep, moth will either go coccon-nuke, or nuke-cocoon. Try to line up your heals to land after the nuke (for max healing) and make sure you tail sweep the cocoon, rather than wasting lift-off. After killing moth, you need to nuke Pyth hard before his sustained damage takes you down. Use tai lsweep whiel you have the dragonkin buff, once it's gone, heal, then lift-off. After onyxia dies, switch in lowbie, then immeadiately swap in FFF. With any luck, a single Pounce will kill the snake, if not, wind-up. This stage is critical, as your FFF need around 600 hp left to finish off Clatter. Clatter will Apocalypse-Slow-Flurry, the slow will mean that he gets to flurry you before your supercharged windup can land, which can kill you even through your mechanical rebirth, so this is why you need enough HP to survive the slow with your normal health. Otherwise, the supercharge windup should one-shot him, allowing you to profit!