Why not always left up from Forfit and Unkillable?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us
Why not always left up from Forfit and Unkillable?

Post by Morlis » January 16th, 2013, 6:20 pm

I have thought of this for a while and PTR (Public Test Realm) makes me think this idea could be easily implemented.

I would like to see battles that are forfeited result in the pet being left up. At the same time I would like them to be immune to killing with spells, ranged or melee attacks. So that the only way they despawn is if you fight the battle start to finish.

To many times I have seen a person ravage through available pet battles looking for that elusive rare. Wasting what could have been a pet for that person who just wants it in their collection. For the most part this would not be a problem, say you see someone going through rats looking for a rare. However say you want that Scourge Whelpling or Minfernal and someone blasts through the ones up and leaves you with nothing to do but stand around and pray one pops in the time you have left online.

I got the Scourge finally after many weeks of on and off camping, and it was poor, and I was happy, I can always upgrade with a pet stone. The day I got it there were 2 more up in range and some guy went through them so fast he couldn't possibly have done the pet battle as normal, so he didn't get a rare and must have forfeited.

Still trying for the Minfernal and not having much luck. I always see 2 or 3 others circling the area looking for them as well. I know many of us would be happy with what ever we got no matter the rarity.

I will concede that this will cause people to take longer to get rares, because they have to do the whole battle to the end and that is a definite downside for many.

The alternative would be make those hard to find ones more plentiful, or at least spawn more than once in a 24 hour period!

Just a few thoughts...

Morlis
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Why not always left up from Forfit and Unkillable?

Post by Quintessence » January 16th, 2013, 6:25 pm

Morlis wrote:I would like to see battles that are forfeited result in the pet being left up.
This is something that developers are planning on implementing in 5.2. It might not be ready for testing on the PTR yet, though.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Morlis
MVP

Post by Morlis » January 16th, 2013, 6:57 pm

This is good news! :)

Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Notamonk » January 17th, 2013, 10:02 am

I kind of agree with this; but if you defeat the initial pet that you challenge and lose to one of the back line pets that were randomly selected to help, then I don't think the first pet that you initially challenged should respawn or appear as if nothing happened.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » January 17th, 2013, 10:12 am

Notamonk wrote:I kind of agree with this; but if you defeat the initial pet that you challenge and lose to one of the back line pets that were randomly selected to help, then I don't think the first pet that you initially challenged should respawn or appear as if nothing happened.
That is a great idea. That way if you are still rarehunting it wont become untolerable to do but at the same time people wont be able to just plow through all the spawns.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Notamonk

Post by Notamonk » January 17th, 2013, 11:08 am

Exactly!

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » January 18th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Then you would just stand in front of the pet you wanted to capture, battle it - kill the first line pet, then forfeit the rest, come out and battle it again. . . i don't see Blizzard going for that.

Getting your rare should be a challenge.

It used to be that if you were fighting a pet battle and you accidentally killed the rare you wanted to capture, you could log out and come back in and it would still be there. Blizzard actually took that ability away, i don't see them putting it back for forfeits.

Notamonk

Post by Notamonk » January 18th, 2013, 3:15 pm

I'm glad they removed that bug. Was a rather cheeky thing to do in my opinion.

Morlis
MVP

Post by Morlis » January 19th, 2013, 4:47 am

Bonhomous wrote:Then you would just stand in front of the pet you wanted to capture, battle it - kill the first line pet, then forfeit the rest, come out and battle it again. . . i don't see Blizzard going for that.
Not sure I understand the purpose of doing this. If you kill the first pet then forfeit, sure that first pet will respawn too, but it will still be of the same quality as the first time. If it was poor it will always be poor till the whole team is eliminated. You said it yourself in the last line of your post "you accidentally killed a rare you wanted to capture, you could log out and come back in and it would still be there." When you came back was it ever not rare? Certainly it was always rare. Therefor if its not rare to start with, what is the point of continually hacking at it?

PS I never intentionally used the log out method, I have however over the course of some 500 battles(maybe more) lost internet connection(my ISP has 2 type of days, bad days and really bad days) and came back to find what I was fighting still there. Each time I was able to return they were all the same quality as they were during the first attempt.

Morlis

Lisanette
Top Rater
Pet Score:6418
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Lisanette » January 19th, 2013, 10:24 am

Bonhomous wrote:It used to be that if you were fighting a pet battle and you accidentally killed the rare you wanted to capture, you could log out and come back in and it would still be there. Blizzard actually took that ability away, i don't see them putting it back for forfeits.
I rather liked that - it was a way to help friends get the right battlepets. We always spammed guildchannel in the beginning: "Hey I got a rare "bla bla". Anyone need it?" Now its even more soloplay.
I <3 my Wolfie
[url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anwxfm9jABocdDItb1N6QlhvbnMzQVVHQWgtOVBnWFE]Google-doc with all breeds and ability sets[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151106511417504.417452.700887503&type=3]Facebook photoalbum with pet-related stuff[/url]