Need an Article explaining 'Stones'?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Oldguy
Pet Score:2077
Realm:Malfurion-us
Need an Article explaining 'Stones'?

Post by Oldguy » January 14th, 2013, 10:34 am

Hi. I'm no pro at Pet Battles by any means. Today, after winning a battle, I was given a "Stone" (sorry, but I can't remember its exact name). It said in effect that I can use it to upgrade one of my pets to Rare quality. It was a surprise, since I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary. I've never received one before, so I'm confused.

My questions are how do go about finding more of these various types of stones? Is there an article on this forum that explains such things? (I searched, but the search failed to find anything related). What are the requirements to attain them, and where/how am I supposed to get them?

Rather wordy, but I don't know how else to ask for advice this subject.

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Re: Need an Article explaining 'Stones'?

Post by Stabya » January 14th, 2013, 11:28 am

The stones you can use on any type of pet are rare random drops from battling pets. You got lucky. You can save it or sell it on the AH

You can also get family specific bind on pickup stones from the Dailies that reward sack of pet supplies.

Darkke
Top Rater
Pet Score:7826
Realm:Daggerspine-us

Post by Darkke » January 14th, 2013, 11:47 am

Pet Battle Stones are pretty rare, and there are a few ways you can acquire them.

1. Wild pet battles. The higher the level of the wild pets, the higher the drop chance. The pet that you see, the first pet is the type of stone that might be dropped. So if you battle a level 25 wild Leopard Frog (an aquatic), you have a chance to obtain a [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=92679]Flawless Aquatic Battle-Stone[/url]

Very rarely, there is a chance that a BOE stone usable on ANY pet may drop: [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=92741]Flawless Battle-Stone[/url]

2. Daily Trainer Quest Reward Bag. Trainers that you can battle daily, the reward [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=89125]Sack of Pet Supplies[/url] has a chance to contain random family stones as well as the general stones.

The spirit tamer daily reward, [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=93149]Pandaren Spirit Pet Supplies[/url], WILL NOT contain stones but has a chance to drop a pet instead. Same thing with the [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=91086]Darkmoon Pet Supplies[/url]

Just to be thorough, you can purchase [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=92742]Polished Battle-Stone[/url] from the justice point vendor in Townlong Steppes, BUT they only upgrade your pet to uncommon/green, and cost 1000 justice points. It is very much NOT WORTH IT.

Lastly, you may wish to use your battle stone. To do this, summon the pet you want to upgrade. Target the pet, and use the stone. The type of the stone and the type of the pet must match, but otherwise, it's as simple as that!

Hope this helps! Oh, and the drop rates are VERY low, so it may be awhile before you see another stone.

Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Notamonk » January 14th, 2013, 12:04 pm

I was unaware of the uncommon battle stones.. I'll have to get one of these for my Onyxian Whelpling.. its a grey quality pet (making it basically useless) but its the only 4/14 breed Onyxian Whelpling I have been able to find so far!

Darkke
Top Rater
Pet Score:7826
Realm:Daggerspine-us

Post by Darkke » January 14th, 2013, 12:15 pm

I suppose you could, but green quality is still a big stat drop from blue. And you know you're gonna get a dragonkin stone as soon as you sink the JP.

Supposedly, elemental pets are bugged and dropping dragonkin stones instead of elemental stones, and I hear folks are having decent luck farming the water wavelings in the zul'drak zone in Northrend. Good luck with your Onyxia!

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » January 14th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Yeah, I'd hold off waiting for a flawless battle stone or an Undead Stone, unless you cannot think of anything else valuable for your 1000 justice points.

Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Notamonk » January 14th, 2013, 2:26 pm

hm.. well I'll have to take a look then, but yea I'd really like to get this guy leveled up but the fact that he is poor quality is really holding me off from that.

Guess I'll just have to farm Water Waverlings and level some pets while I'm at it! lol

Jaladar
Top Rater
Pet Score:13919
BattleTag®:Jaladar#11384
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Jaladar » January 14th, 2013, 2:36 pm

I have also read that using the stones to upgrade your pets quality is sometimes causing the breed ID to change. I haven't looked into this farther so I don't know if it was a bug and got fixed or if it is intended/not fixed yet, but something to consider...or at least be aware of.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 14th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Jaladar wrote:I have also read that using the stones to upgrade your pets quality is sometimes causing the breed ID to change. I haven't looked into this farther so I don't know if it was a bug and got fixed or if it is intended/not fixed yet, but something to consider...or at least be aware of.
This is indeed a bug. Flawless and family-specific stones are not supposed to change the breed ID, only the quality. If this happens to you, be sure to head to the bug section of the official WoW forums and report it.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Oldguy
Pet Score:2077
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Oldguy » January 15th, 2013, 11:25 am

What a great list of replies with wonderful information! Thank you, everyone. Sorry I couldn't reply sooner.

By the way, the Stone I mentioned in my original topic post is a:
-------------------------------------------
"Flawless Beast Battle-Stone
Use: Instantly upgrades a Beast battle pet to Rare quality. Pets level 15 and greater lose up to two levels in the process"
-------------------------------------------

I'm glad I just now read the post written prior to mine before using the Stone. I don't want it messed-up if it's bugged. I'll wait and see if it gets verified as 'working' before I try it.

Thanks again for all the help!

Suspiro
Top Rater
Pet Score:4140
BattleTag®:Loni#1589
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Suspiro » January 15th, 2013, 1:48 pm

The family specific stones aren't bugged and are not changing breeds. The bug with breed changes was occurring with non-family specific flawless stones - the BoE type.