-=Family Affinities Reference Table=-

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us
-=Family Affinities Reference Table=-

Post by Zaelo » January 11th, 2013, 7:38 am

Whew, that took a while to build! But I finally finished my Family Affinities Reference Table.
It's perfect for finding the perfect pet to send against any other pet, may they be wild pets, other players pets, or NPC pets (currently up to date with 5.1).

Please take the time to read the first part, because the reference table is quite huge and overwhelming at first..
Like stated on the page itself, I welcome all comments and suggestions. I'd like to find a way to present all that information that would be a little easier to use, but for now it will have to do.

Also, the html file hosting site that I found doesn't allow me to update the page once posted, so if I make updates, I will be updating the URL in this post, make sure you check up for updates here.

[url]http://pastehtml.com/view/coq2d1gp6.html[/url]

Enjoy!

P.S.: I have an old I.E. at work and the page doesn't display properly at all.. (the host's frame takes up 80% of the page, instead of like 5%.. but hopefully I'm the only one stuck with a crappy browser like IE7! :roll: )

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Re: -=Family Affinities Reference Table=-

Post by Breehit » January 11th, 2013, 11:50 am

Your page was blocked for me by Microsoft Office security scan as a "dangerous security risk". You may want to check the program!

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 11th, 2013, 12:47 pm

what, really??
my internet settings at work are super strict and I'm not getting any warnings, I'm surprised you do..

Also my page is strictly basic HTML and CSS, no script at all.. so it surprises me even more..
Might be something from the hosting website though.. but I highly doubt there's any serious risk with that page :/
Anyone else encountering that problem?

If anyone has a server and wouldn't mind hosting my little html document, even possibly the admins here, let me know!

Knotrandall
Pet Score:4912
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Post by Knotrandall » January 11th, 2013, 1:08 pm

It worked fine for me, thanks!

The only complaint is that since it's not the actual Excel file I can't freeze the first row/column so it makes it a pain when I have to scroll over or down. I'm going to use this to populate my own spreadsheet though, I really appreciate your hard work.

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 11th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Knotrandall wrote:It worked fine for me, thanks!

The only complaint is that since it's not the actual Excel file I can't freeze the first row/column so it makes it a pain when I have to scroll over or down. I'm going to use this to populate my own spreadsheet though, I really appreciate your hard work.
Yeah I know what you mean.. :/
I had to switch to HTML at some point because Excel was not allowing me to set the row height up to what I needed to show all the pet names.. I didn't even know until then that Excel row height had a limit >.<
Plus the scrolling with rows that high is just chunky and hard to play with in Excel.. trust me that HTML is better than the Excel version, sadly...

Ideally, I'd like to find someone who knows programming enough to take that table, convert it to a database, and build a little web app that would allow you to search for a pet and click a button that would then pull out all the information of what pets this pet is good against, and what pets are good against him. Maybe sometime soon :)

Thanks for the comments though, appreciated!

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » January 15th, 2013, 2:29 pm

"cant coonect to the site" is all i get ;/

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 16th, 2013, 2:39 pm

blah.. pastehtml.com seems down indeed.. :/
hope it's temporary, but anyway.. not worth the bother apparently..

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 17th, 2013, 11:07 am

seems to be back online now, in case you want to take a look

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » January 17th, 2013, 11:40 am

This is awesome. I would love a downloadable version of this table in Excel.

Zaelo

Post by Zaelo » January 17th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Well thank you :) Glad you appreciated.

As stated earlier, the Excel wasn't easy to work with either, as the line height limit would not allow me to display the full content of some of the busier cells... and I made the switch to HTML before I was finished filling in the table in Excel, so the Excel version I have is only half filled :(.. I'd gladgly share it if it was complete.. :/

I'm still trying to figure out a way to display all of this information in some other way that will make it easier to work with.. if anyone has an idea please share :)