Burnt By Battle-Stones

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ziarre
Realm:Suramar-us
Burnt By Battle-Stones

Post by Ziarre » December 26th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I just used a Flawless Battle-Stone on my ID 5 Fluxfire Feline...

He's now rare...and ID 8. He gained 52 power, but lost 11 speed. This is taking the difference in rarities into account, the rare-to-rare comparison is a much larger gap.

I am not happy. *works on a ticket*

Bistromath
Pet Score:3055
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: Burnt By Battle-Stones

Post by Bistromath » December 26th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Yea had the samething happen to me, and i belive its Blizzards way of saying....Hunting rares is still viable if you want a specific breed. Ive used 2 stones on different battle pets and they both changed breeds.

Honestly i like the way they done it.

Ziarre

Post by Ziarre » December 26th, 2012, 3:14 pm

I don't. Fluxfires aren't as hard to hunt as some of the others, but they're still uncommon enough for me to use a stone on him rather than hunt a ID 5 rare. I shudder to think of what I might have ended up with if I'd used it on my Emerald Proto-Whelp like I'd been tempted to do...or something even rarer. :[

Jeykama
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Jeykama » December 26th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Oh, that really sucks :( With a universal stone or a family-specific one?

All the variable-breed pets I've upgraded have kept their breeds so far, unless I haven't been paying attention (Scourged Whelpling, Fluxfire, mechabear, gilnean raven, infinite whelp, ghostly skull...) I have enough trouble trying to find a rare 20-speed rabbit that I honestly don't have the stomach to camp the rare spawns for specific breeds in rare >_<

Ziarre

Post by Ziarre » December 26th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Universal, which makes it sting all the more. I'm crossing my fingers that there's something a GM can/will do about it. If not, I'll either suck it up or farm until I find a rare 5 and re-level...which is still sucking it up, I suppose.

Polynices
Pet Score:4688
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Polynices » December 26th, 2012, 4:23 pm

That's pretty horrible if it's not a bug that gets fixed shortly. Pet breeds are already pretty stupid and add an opaque and unnecessary extra burden to collecting pets. Pet stones were nice for reducing the need to compete with other players for rare pets.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » December 26th, 2012, 5:10 pm

That's bizarre. I've stoned 4 pets with variable breeds so far: emerald proto, gilnean raven, yellow moth, ghostly skull. They all kept their original breed (I would have been incredibly angry if they hadn't). The chances of that happening if the stone randomly rerolled the breed is less than 1%. They were all stoned with the BoP family-specific stones, so maybe this is only an issue with the BoE universal stones.

If this is true, I can't imagine it's intended. It makes the universal stones quite a bit less valuable imo.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » December 26th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Poofah wrote:If this is true, I can't imagine it's intended. It makes the universal stones quite a bit less valuable imo.
This is too true. If it's intended, all it does is invalidate hours of grinding. Hours to find the perfect breed pet to be upgraded, and hours/days to find the stone or grind the gold to buy one.

Ziarre

Post by Ziarre » December 26th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Well, it looks like I'm stuck with this little guy unless I find a 5 rare to level...again. GM was unable to 'fix' the stats, and claims the stat change is intended. Maybe the upcoming nerf will somehow make his stat set more desirable, but for now I shall miss his lightning-fast beast-munching.

Maybe slower-but-hard-hitting beast-munching won't be so bad? The alternative is farming another, which isn't feasible unless I stay up late when few are hunting them (trust me, I already looked and the place is well staked-out even on--especially on--RP servers).

Frozenpets

Post by Frozenpets » December 27th, 2012, 8:09 am

I won't be using any battle stones til this is confirmed fixed.

scary. you spend a lot of time finding that specific pet. funny thing is, there have been some recently that I wish DID switch breeds. shoot, switch my mediocre gilnean raven and make it into a top breed please :). but seriously, this is not cool.

Darky28
Top Rater
Pet Score:3929
BattleTag®:Darky#1885
Realm:Dragonmaw-us

Post by Darky28 » December 27th, 2012, 8:48 am

I used over 110 battle Stones on cageable pets. And none of them changed their breedId, not even on cageable uncommons that have different breeds like the ghostly skull.

Can anyone confirm the BOE stones suck? Since I only used 3 of em on uncommon pets that cannt change breedIds

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » December 27th, 2012, 9:33 am

The only stones I've used are the family-specific ones that i've gotten as drops. (side note: I do seem to find that the stones drop more often when you capture a pet than just battling them) And every time I've used them they haven't changed the breed id.

Based on reading this thread, it sounds like those stones don't change the breed id.

Ziarre

Post by Ziarre » December 28th, 2012, 12:59 am

I'll help test it once I get a family-specific stone I'm not hoarding (Magic is staying in my bags until I miraculously spot a Minfernal since I am not repeating that hunt).

Zailly

Post by Zailly » December 28th, 2012, 1:18 am

If used more stones than I can count and have never had it change the breed on me. They were all BOP stones other than one and that flawless one was used on a pet with only one breed ID.

On a side note i do love my 2 rare lv 25 SS Fluxfire felines! I have a rare PS aswell but he doesn't work aswell on the trainers. So sad to hear of their nerf next patch.

Ziarre

Post by Ziarre » December 30th, 2012, 6:04 am

Minfernal netted (still flailing!) and Magic Battle-Stone used, no change in breedid. Started P/S, still P/S.

Jimbodan
Pet Score:8469
BattleTag®:jimbodan#1642
Realm:Moonrunner-us

Post by Jimbodan » December 30th, 2012, 5:51 pm

I've only used one of the BoE stone's and my breed didn't change. Based on all the posts here (I don't think one person has seen a breed change with the BoP stones) we can probably rule out the BoP stones changing breed. We really need someone that has lot of the BoE stones to test it out with those.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 31st, 2012, 11:08 am

I've never noticed the breed id's changing on my pets. The last couple I've used I've looked to make sure before and after (dragonkin and humanoid) and they didn't chagne. I used those on a vendor and achievement pet though so they may not change anyway.

I wish I knew how so many of you have got so many stones. I've done about 10 dailies a day almost every day have have seen less than 10 stones so far. I have yet to see any on wild battles. Unlucky is unlucky I guess.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 3rd, 2013, 9:42 pm

I asked Mumper on Twitter whether or not Flawless Battle-Stones are supposed to change the breed to a random one after upgrading, and his response was this:

"No, only affects quality."

So if this is happening for you, it's very likely a bug and I would report it in the Bug Report section of the official WoW forums.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Mos
Pet Score:2126
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Mos » January 4th, 2013, 10:20 am

I have stoned a bunch of pets, and been lucky enough to have 5 flawless battle stones to drop from wilds. Any one of them I have used has never switched the breed of the targeted pet. It has to be a bug or something, and GM's said there was nothing they could do?