Unbalanced pet battles

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Mrbeankc
Pet Score:4299
Realm:Lightbringer-us
Unbalanced pet battles

Post by Mrbeankc » December 20th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Just finished a pet battle that I waited 45 minutes waiting for. I had two level 22s and a level 19. What did I get to battle against? Two level 25s and a level 24. Nice no way to win there. I've noticed lately some really bad level match ups with one side seriously higher level than the other. I've read on the forums a lot of complaints about people waiting forever to get a pvp pet battle and I have a feeling they've relaxed the match ups in terms of levels so as people won't have to wait as long for a match. However I'm not sure that making it so people are in fights that they have no chance of winning is any better.

Erian
Pet Score:2435
Realm:Kil'jaeden-eu

Re: Unbalanced pet battles

Post by Erian » December 21st, 2012, 1:48 am

I believe the range is getting bigger the longer you wait - pretty much like in PvP with MMR. So after 45 minutes... well... ^^

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 21st, 2012, 9:59 am

What? People do pvp pet battles with pets that aren't 25?
I had a level 24 in there once and was all excited to win, didn't think people would dare trying with 19's!

You should level yourself 3 pets to 25 and THEN go pvp pet battle ;)
queues are a minute or two usually, Im thinking going with 19s might be why you had to wait 45 minutes

Erian
Pet Score:2435
Realm:Kil'jaeden-eu

Post by Erian » December 21st, 2012, 10:40 am

In the days after the release you had a lot more of those low level battles - maybe you'll have again if a "second wave" of battlers start after getting bored with (not) raiding. ;)

I believe battles around lvl 20 have one advantage: I got my first 5 wins in a row (without losing any pet) at that level just after my XT hit lvl 20 - which made him pretty OP, especially since most enemies were a little lower since he was my hightest pet. ^^
There might be more pets that stomp 18/19 pets due to lvl 20 abilities. ^^

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 21st, 2012, 11:01 am

Erian wrote:There might be more pets that stomp 18/19 pets due to lvl 20 abilities. ^^
There are plenty! Molten Hatchling comes to mind, once you get brittle webbing your damage increases significantly, so does your life leetch and you can use cauterize instead of having to use slot 2 for the other web.
Magical Crawdad too, you get Wish at 20, makes him SO much better :)

I doubt there'll be another wave of lowbie pvp pet battles though. I missed the first wave and had been under the impression that noone was pet battling until they had 25's...

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » December 27th, 2012, 11:29 am

I have just recently been doing pvp pet battles as opposed to just fighting wild pets. It's a lot of fun and I wish I had tried it sooner. I have had relatively low queue times from any pet levels, from lvl 2 to level 24. You get xp for your pets if you do pet battles, so with the relatively short queue times, i'll do that when i'm waiting around for something else.

The reason i'm posting here is because I have been annoyed with the way you get matched up. when I was pvp battling with lvl 24 pets, then my opponent had almost the same match-up as myself but when I started battling lower pets I would get someone with a unbalanced team. It seems that you get matched up by average.

Example, I usually go in with pets with all the same lvl, say 3 level 9s, well I would face a team that had a lvl 11 pet, a lvl 9 and a lvl 7. He never even brought out his lvl 7, he would just keep out his lvl 11 and wipe up my team. I don't like that.
I think that blizzard should match people based on their highest lvl pet. So if you bring in a lvl 20 pet and your other pets are lvl 15, you wont be facing a team of 17s, you'll be facing a team of 20s.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » January 4th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Zaelo wrote:What? People do pvp pet battles with pets that aren't 25?
What is the point of pvp pet battles, if not to level pets? Unless I'm mistaken, there is no other reward - no player exp, honor, valor points, nothing except a very tiny chance at a stone.

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » January 4th, 2013, 4:06 pm

I've had some success with a team of lvl 15's. I didn't have to wait more than a minute, 5 max, I figure it's kind of a bracket thing, for instance people (like me ^^) want to try out different settings or abilities before levelling a pet all the way.

Also, people do pvp battle not just for the xp I think, or the minuscule chance to drop a stone (or a charm in 5.2), there's also the achievement for X number of wins, and why not battle for the heck of it, I know I do ^^

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » January 7th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Zaelo wrote:What? People do pvp pet battles with pets that are 25?
fixed that for you as level 25 pet battleing is kinda pointless....