Did I train the wrong moth? Should I pick another one?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us
Re: Did I train the wrong moth? Should I pick another one?

Post by Peanutty » October 12th, 2016, 1:07 am

I'm giggling at Grainne's moth list, I never thought of actually going through what I have and seeing what the spread is on all those moths (or any other pet where there's a ton of them, i.e. rats). I do like having as many possible breeds as I can get - sure that means you'll have some that just aren't as strong but that's fine, I feel my collection is more complete for it.

Also just looking at the list, I think that H/H White Moth is the only H/H moth with this moveset. I have one just because I found it interesting.

Long story short, there is no "right" breed - some may be more favorable in certain situations (or very rarely, "required" for a certain strategy) but with so many moths to choose from, you really can customize it how you see fit.

Arkindal
Pet Score:3402
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Arkindal » October 12th, 2016, 3:21 am

That's a huge amount of moths. I don't think I can buy upgrade stones for so many, I'll just upgrade the rare ones, like the skywisp moth which is a bit of a pain to find. Well I guess I have something to do after I'm finished with my world quests, I'll get back to leveling up tomorrow I suppose :)

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » October 12th, 2016, 8:43 am

Indeed I'm not suggesting that you should get them all. I hope I was pointing out that a focus on getting "the" one, true, correct breed is misplaced.

You have a Yellow P/P. That's an excellent moth, and likely all you will need for general battling. At this stage in your battling career, you should be devoting your roster development towards collecting different types of pets, rather than filling all the detail in one small area.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » October 12th, 2016, 9:12 am

Peanutty wrote:I'm giggling at Grainne's moth list, I never thought of actually going through what I have and seeing what the spread is on all those moths (or any other pet where there's a ton of them, i.e. rats). I do like having as many possible breeds as I can get - sure that means you'll have some that just aren't as strong but that's fine, I feel my collection is more complete for it.
My thoughts are that I will prune and prune and use make up and hair jel (if needed!), when I get all my pets to Rare, and then 25. I'm at 750 pets, which means I can get a few more, but in general, I am already pruning things as I go along, and do manage to keep 2 of this and that, with the variant being hit points, or speed, depending on what else they have. If not much else, hope that their Stampede (or equivalent) is good enough to use a 2nd and 3rd time.

But there are some pets that you can have 5 or 6 of them, and deciding which is kinda difficult, specially if you do not play them regularly, enough, to know which is more efficient, however, that's like saying that one combination is not better against a different class than this one ... and although I do not think that Blizzard's spreadsheets and databases are that smart, it is likely that there is some thought plugged into that area, when you look at the numbers at their Level 1, and compare with others also at the start. But my question is ... will I need another a second Rabbitt (same kind), with 350/360 speed, for the same fight, and the likelihood is ... Nope! The odds are that the variance in Pet Battles, will only allow "the same" if it is a different quality like Poor, Common, Uncommon, for example. Assuming that the "choice of pets" is not a preset thing by the programmers, instead of a somewhat randomization of the selection for that specific zone/area.

Arkindal
Pet Score:3402
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Arkindal » October 12th, 2016, 10:06 am

Well, so far I captured quite a few new moths. I just got a rare gilded one and I feel like I have enough moths for now. I won't level them right away, and the first ones I'll level up when I get to it are those with a unique moveset, like skywisp or flamering.
http://image.prntscr.com/image/7a4bcf7c ... 823907.png

At the moment I'm leveling a baby ape, next is the red cricket and... Well, the list goes on. I probably shouldn't, but I'm also about to level my third zandalari raptorling and an emerald whelpling, even though I already have the green proto drake and the dream whelpling. The list of pets I want to level at the moment is quite long, this should give me quite a bit of variety.