Family Familiar -- 150/150 Battles

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu
Re: Family Familiar

Post by Gráinne » September 8th, 2016, 5:31 am

Great work, Feo! That will come in handy.
Quintessence wrote:If you're level 110 and have NOT unlocked World Quests, you can defeat them over and over on the same toon on the same day.
I am SOOOO going to do this on my second alt. :) On my first, the Pet Portal is the priority.

Aranesh, I love your site, and admire the work you put into it, but for now I'm just winging it because I want the fun of beating them myself. Doing all with Humanoids at the moment, and treating it like a PvP battle - pick a team and go in blind. I've one-shotted most of them. I've kind of settled on S/S Fiendish Imp, Anubisath Idol, Rotten Little Helper as my default Humanoid team, though I have also tried Winter's Little Helper, Wretched Servant, S/S Bonkers, Qiraji Guardling along the way.

Feo
Pet Score:13056
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Re: Family Familiar

Post by Feo » September 13th, 2016, 12:03 pm

Just added the Xorvasc fights. Current progress is 42/150 fights. Why does everything always take longer than you think it will?

Kiowa
Top Rater
Pet Score:5349
BattleTag®:Towgrunt#1690
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Family Familiar -- Updated with all Sir Galveston fights

Post by Kiowa » September 18th, 2016, 9:40 pm

can we get this sticky

Kiowa
Top Rater
Pet Score:5349
BattleTag®:Towgrunt#1690
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Kiowa » September 20th, 2016, 9:45 pm

Don't know if this is the best team but I beat Bodhi with
Tundra Penguin 1,2,1
Moonshell Crab 1,2,2
Chuck 2,2,1

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » September 22nd, 2016, 12:56 pm

Nice work..

But is it possible, you can change the tactics to avoid using multiples of the same pets in a fight (e.g. Sir Galveston - Aqua)?

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12649
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » September 22nd, 2016, 2:26 pm

FYI; these can be beaten with a WIDE variety of types for each "type" challenge.

I didn't even bother doing a guide on my website because there is no "one" way to defeat these and honestly, most are so easy that a guide isn't even remotely necessary, just a trifle of thought is needed (mostly just clicking the type button in the Rematch addon).

Try to do them on your own, sorting out your own strategies, it's far more fun. If you're having a bit of trouble, think outside of the box and check abilities that you didn't think of before (and often, abilities that are tried and true are very often the best ones to use anyway).

This is a challenge, like Celestial Tournament, for ppl with a *large* stable of pets. Not to be gamed.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 22nd, 2016, 2:53 pm

Chibimage wrote:FYI; these can be beaten with a WIDE variety of types for each "type" challenge.

Try to do them on your own, sorting out your own strategies, it's far more fun. If you're having a bit of trouble, think outside of the box and check abilities that you didn't think of before (and often, abilities that are tried and true are very often the best ones to use anyway).
I'm actually surprised how much I enjoy having the family-only restriction for achievements - like you said it's making you think slightly outside the box, instead of just going with the obvious hard counters. And it does seem like you can beat most of these with a number of different pets or strategies. I'm finally getting to use pets I've ignored, like Armadillo Pup and Syd the Squid.

I've been focusing on critters, magic and humanoid so far (I went with the ones I though would be "hardest" for me). Already see some obvious MVPs, like fast rabbits and Frostfur Rat.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » September 23rd, 2016, 6:40 pm

Robert Craig - Mechs including levelling pet:

Code: Select all

Robert Craig - Mech:98270:1164:455:389:305:0:0:0:0:338:777:646:209:P:99999:1:0:0:0:0:N:Start with Exposed Wounds then Batter until Wumpas comes in.\nThen Batter, Exposed Wounds and Batter until Wumpas is dead as well.\nSwap to your Level Pet when Baeloth comes in, then to the Tonk.\nShock and Awe + Ion Cannon should do the trick.
Not my strategy, but it works..
Levelling pet is set to 99999 HP, to ensure mech (or magic). Could probably be make smarter, but I was in a hurry when I did it.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » September 27th, 2016, 5:27 am

Bredda Tenderhide - Beasts (not my strat)

Bredda Tenderhide - Mech:99077:1568:118:574:564:564:525:310:566:174:803:509:423:N:Turn 1: Chew\nTurn 2-4: Stampede\nBring in your Cinder Pup\nTurn 1: Crouch\nTurn 2-: Flame Breath until Quillino is dead\nFethyr comes in\nTurn 1: Crouch\nTurn 2-: Flame Breath until your Cinder Pup dies\nBring in your Feline Familiar\nTurn 1: Stoneskin\nTurn 2: Prowl\nTurn 3-: Onyx Bite until Fethyr is dead

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » September 28th, 2016, 11:51 am

Flummox seems incredibly overtuned compared to all of the others, I barely managed to beat him even with full undead team, whereas most of the others can beat with pretty much anything. I am doing them the slow way personally of doing each only once when its up, just finished doing beasts, for all of the fights that I did used elder python and death adder hatchling, and the third one switched between feline familiar (against fliers) and stunted direhorn, this team was able to beat all the other tamers I faced except Flummox. I think that probably could beat Flummox with triple death adder hatchling though as blinding poison is great against him to lower his healing, but I only have one, so I just skipped him. Working on aquatics next, using base team of mongoose, hydraling, and spawn of g'nathus.

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Killerkarl » September 28th, 2016, 12:01 pm

When did they fix Flummox? Every time that I have beat him I never got credit for Family Familiar achievements, but I have not seen him lately.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » September 28th, 2016, 1:24 pm

I already submitted this to Aranesh, and no doubt he will separately verify it next time Bredda is available, but it's one of the tougher battles, so I'll throw it out here in case she appears again before he can test it.

And BTW, I am only just now appreciating how much work it is for Aranesh to test all those strategies. I've gone through 50 bandages last night and today doing all families on three tamers.

Bredda Tenderhide - Flying pets

Any Turkey with Peck, Squawk, Food Coma
Teroclaw with Claw, Dodge, Nature's Ward
Sentinel's Companion with Dark Talon, Soulrush, Ethereal

The essence of this strat is to use Food Coma to force swaps that guarantee that your cooldowns align with the opponent.

Food Coma

Swap to Teroclaw.
Bredda swaps to Quillino

Dodge
Claw
Nature's Ward
Claw until Quillino dies, but use Dodge to avoid the third blind even though you only get one round. This is tricky; because you're slower, you must use it one round in advance, but it does work.

You have Dodged the first blind. You can't dodge the second, but at least you will be taking damage as Elemental at the time. You do want to dodge the third, or risk missing two Claws and dying to a crit by Quillino.

It can go several ways because of RNG, but you want to kill Quillino and survive to be killed by Lil' Spirit Guide.

Lil' Spirit Guide comes in and kills Teroclaw, probably with Rot, but you may get off another Claw before dying.

Bring in Turkey
Food Coma

Bredda swaps to Fethyr
Swap to Sentinel's Companion

Dark Talon
Ethereal to dodge the Lift-Off
Dark Talon until Fethyr dies

When Lil' Spirit Guide comes back in, use Ethereal to dodge Rot, Soulrush on cooldown, Dark Talon as a filler until Sentinel's Companion dies
Finish off with Turkey - Food Coma and spam Peck

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » September 30th, 2016, 12:48 am

A good set-up for aquatics to the night watcher that I used is Sea Pony and Left Shark and third one can be pretty much anything, I used Hydraling as third but it only needed to do a single hit to finish off the last pet.

Sea Pony with Tidal Wave, Cleansing Rain, and Pump
Left Shark with Water Jet, Tidal Wave, and Rain Dance
third pet can be any aquatic with a decent non-aquatic attack.

Start with sea pony, pump, 2x tidal wave, cleansing rain, after that just use cleansing rain at cd and spam tidal wave rest of the time until the sea pony dies, then bring in left shark, with that just use rain dance on cd and rest of the time spam tidal wave until the shark dies, at this point only thing left alive from the night watchers team was her book at around 200 health, so hydraling just had to do one lighting storm to finish it off.

Feo

Re: Family Familiar -- Updated with all Trapper Garrun fight

Post by Feo » October 19th, 2016, 10:24 am

Updated with teams for all families for Trapper Jarrun. =)

Feo

Nightwatcher Merayl

Post by Feo » October 21st, 2016, 11:03 am

Nightwatcher Merayl
<Grand Master Pet Tamer>

Located at 46.4, 40.4 in Azsuna when the World Quest Training with the Nightwatchers is active.

Has pets Breezy Book, Helpful Spirit, and Delicate Moth.

Notes: There's a lot of damage to your backline pets in these fights. As such, I picked teams that could either defeat Nightwatcher Merayl's pets quickly or had some form of healing.

Aquatic
[pet]Puddle Terror[/pet] (2,1,2)
[pet]Puddle Terror[/pet] (2,1,2) (Didn't need, but you'll want it as backup just in case.)
[pet]Emerald Turtle [/pet](1,1,2) (Didn't need, but you'll want it as backup just in case.)

vs. Breezy Book
Punch
Punch
Nature's Ward
Punch
Dive -- You are submerged causing Breezy Book's Curse of Doom to miss.
Punch -- Breezy Book died here for me.

vs. Helpful Spirit
Punch
Nature's Ward
Punch
Punch
Dive -- You are submerged causing Helpful Spirit's Curse of Doom to miss.
Punch
Nature's Ward -- You need to make the fight last a round longer and Nature's Ward is better than passing.
Punch
Nature's Ward -- Helpful Spirit died here for me.

vs. Delicate Moth
Dive -- Delicate Moth uses Moth Dust here. If you only had one Puddle Terror and Moth Dust puts you to sleep, forfeit and start over.
Punch
Punch
Punch -- Delicate Moth died here for me.

Beast
[pet]Cinder Pup[/pet] (2,2,1)
[pet]Zandalari Toenibbler[/pet] (2,2,2) (P/P is the best breed for this fight.)
[pet]Feline Familiar[/pet] (1,1,2)

vs. Breezy Book
Flame Breath
Flame Breath
Flame Breath -- Breezy Book died here for me.

vs. Helpful Spirit
Volcano -- Helpful Spirit uses Curse of Doom here. This overwrites the Curse of Doom Breezy Book used.
Swap to Zandalari Toenibbler
Black Claw
Flank
Flank -- Cinder Pup dies to Curse of Doom here. Don't worry about it.
Primal Cry -- Helpful Spirit died here for me.

vs. Delicate Moth
Black Claw -- Delicat Moth uses Moth Dust here. It's okay if it puts you to sleep, Zandalari Toenibbler's role is to soak up the damage from it.
Swap to Feline Familiar
Stoneskin
Onyx Bite
Onyx Bite -- Delicate Moth died here for me. You may need an additional Onyx Bite.

Critter
[pet]Red Cricket[/pet] (1,2,2)
[pet]Marsh Fiddler[/pet] (1,2,2) (Didn't need. B/B is the best breed for this fight. You can substitute another cricket here if you prefer.)
[pet]Shimmershell Snail[/pet] (1,2,1) (H/P is the best breed for this fight.)

vs. Breezy Book
Skitter
Skitter
Inspiring Song
Skitter
Cocoon Strike -- This allows you to block the damage from Breezy Book's Curse of Doom.
Skitter -- Breezy Book dies here.

vs. Helpful Spirit
Skitter
Skitter
Inspiring Song
Skitter
Skitter -- Don't use Cocoon Strike here as you want Red Cricket to die to Curse of Doom this round. My Red Cricket had 6 health left here.
Swap to Shimmershell Snail -- Helpful Spirit died here for me.

vs. Delicate Moth
Shell Shield
Ooze Touch
Ooze Touch
Ooze Touch -- Delicate Moth died here for me.

Dragonkin
[pet]Yu'la, Broodling of Yu'lon[/pet] (1,1,1)
[pet]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/pet] (2,1,1) (P/P is the best breed for this fight.)
[pet]Sprite Darter Hatchling[/pet] (2,2,1)

vs. Breezy Book
Lift-Off -- You are flying and unattackable, which causes Breezy Book's Curse of Doom to miss.
Emerald Presence
Breath
Breath
Breath -- Breezy Book died here for me.

vs. Helpful Spirit
Lift-Off -- You are flying and unattackable, which causes Helpful Spirit's Curse of Doom to miss.
Swap to Emerald Proto-Whelp
Ancient Blessing
Emerald Bite
Emerald Bite
Proto-Strike -- You are flying and unattackable, which causes Helpful Spirit's Curse of Doom to miss.
Emerald Bite
Ancient Blessing -- Helpful Spirit died here for me.

vs. Delicate Moth
Emerald Bite
Emerald Bite -- Doesn't matter, Delicate Moth uses Counterspell here and stuns you before you use Emerald Bite.
Emerald Bite
Emerald Bite -- Doesn't matter, Emerald Proto-Whelp died here before attacking.
Swap to Sprite Darter Hatchling
Moonfire -- Delicate Moth died here for me.

Elemental
[pet]Spirit of Summer[/pet] (2,2,1)
[pet]Core Hound Pup[/pet] (1,2,2)
[pet]Jadefire Spirit[/pet] (2,1,1)

vs. Breezy Book
Scorched Earth
Flame Breath

vs. Helpful Spirit
Conflagrate -- Helpful Spirit uses Curse of Doom here. This overwrites the Curse of Doom Breezy Book used.
Swap to Core Hound Pup
Scratch
Scratch
Scratch -- Spirit of Summer dies to Curse of Doom here.
Dodge -- Helpful Spirit died here for me.

vs. Delicate Moth
Scratch -- Delicate Moth uses Moth Dust here, which you dodge.
Swap to Jadefire Spirit
Emerald Presence
Healing Flame
Jade Claw
Jade Claw -- Delicate Moth died here for me.

Flying
[pet]Blazing Firehawk[/pet] (1,2,1)
[pet]Shrine Fly[/pet] (1,2,1) (H/P is the best breed for this fight. Didn't need. Another flying pet that is strong vs. flying is a better choice for a backup.)
[pet]Sentinel's Companion[/pet] (2,2,2)

Notes: I made almost a dozen attempts using a similar strategy, with a Dragon Kite instead of a Blazing Firehawk. Credit goes to [url=http://www.wowhead.com/npc=106552/nightwatcher-merayl#comments:id=2401801]Ansawa[/url] on wowhead.

vs. Breezy Book
Scorched Earth
Deep Burn
Deep Burn -- Breezy Book died here for me.

vs. Helpful Spirit
Deep Burn
Deep Burn
Deep Burn
Deep Burn
Cauterize -- Didn't matter, Blazing Firehawk died to Curese of Doom here. Helpful Spirit died here for me.
Swap to Sentinel's Companion

vs. Delicate Moth
Ethereal -- To dodge Delicate Moth's Moth Dust.
Soulrush
Dark Talon
Dark Talon -- Delicate Moth died here for me.

Humanoid
[pet]Anubsiath Idol[/pet] (1,1,1)
[pet]Feral Vermling[/pet] (2,2,1) (Didn't need.)
[pet]Grumpling[/pet] (2,2,1) (Didn't need.)

vs. Breezy Book
Deflection -- To dodge Breezy Book's Curse of Doom.
Sandstorm
Crush
Crush
Crush
Crush
Crush
Sandstorm -- Breezy Book died here for me.

vs. Helpful Spirit
Crush -- Helpful Spirit uses Curse of Doom here. This overwrites the Curse of Doom Breezy Book used.
Crush
Crush
Crush
Deflection -- To dodge the damage from Helpful Spirit's Curse of Doom.
Sandstorm
Crush
Crush
Crush
Crush -- Helpful Spirit died here for me.

vs. Delicate Moth
Deflection -- To dodge the damage from Helpful Spirit's Curse of Doom and Delicate Moth's Moth Dust.
Sandstorm -- Doesn't matter, Delicate Moth uses Counterspell here and interrupts your turn.
Sandstorm
Crush
Deflection -- To dodge Delicate Moth's Moth Dust.
Crush -- Doesn't matter, Delicate Moth uses Counterspell here and interrupts your turn.
Crush
Crush
Sandstorm -- Doesn't matter, Delicate Moth uses Counterspell here and interrupts your turn.
Sandstorm -- Delicate Moth died here for me.

Magic
[pet]Ethereal Soul-Trader[/pet] (2,1,2)
[pet]Mana Wyrmling[/pet] (2,1,2) (H/P is the best breed for this fight.)
[pet]Untethered Wyrmling[/pet] (1,1,2)

vs. Breezy Book
Soul Ward -- To block Breezy Book's Curse of Doom.
Beam
Beam
Beam
Beam
Beam -- Breezy Book died here for me.

vs. Helpful Spirit
Soul Ward -- To block Helpful Spirit's Curse of Doom.
Life Exchange
Swap to Mana Wyrmling
Drain Power
Flurry
Flurry
Deflection -- To dodge Helpful Spirit's Curse of Doom. Helpful Spirit died here for me.

vs. Delicate Moth
Flurry -- Didn't matter for me, Delicate Moth's Moth Dust put me to sleep.
Pass
Drain Power -- Didn't matter, Mana Wyrmling died here for me.
Swap to Untethered Wyrmling
Feedback
Drain Power -- Doesn't matter, Delicate Moth uses Counterspell here and interrupts your turn.
Drain Power -- Didn't matter, Mana Wyrmling died here for me.
Swap to Ethereal Soul-Trader
Beam
Soul Ward -- To block Delicate Moth's Moth Dust.
Beam
Beam -- Delicate Moth died here for me.

Mechanical
[pet]Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling[/pet] (1,2,2)
[pet]Iron Starlette[/pet] (1,1,1) (P/P is the best breed for this fight.)
[pet]Sunreaver Micro-Sentry[/pet] (1,1,2) (Didn't need.)

vs. Breezy Book
Decoy -- To block Breezy Book's Curse of Doom.
Breath
Breath
Breath
Breath -- Breezy Book died here for me.

vs. Helpful Spirit
Thunderbolt -- Helpful Spirit uses Curse of Doom here. We want that on Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, not a different pet.
Swap to Iron Starlette
Wind-Up
Powerball
Powerball
Powerball
Powerball -- It takes four Powerballs to ensure that Iron Starlette's speed is greater than Delicate Moth's.
Supercharge -- Helpful Spirit died here for me.

vs. Delicate Moth
Wind-Up -- Delicate Moth died here for me. (Side note: It was so satisfying watching Delicate Moth die this way.)

Undead
[pet]Voodoo Figurine[/pet] (2,2,1)
[pet]Ghastly Kid[/pet] (1,2,2)
[pet]Fragment of Anger[/pet] (1,1,1)

vs. Breezy Book
Wild Magic
Flame Breath

vs. Helpful Spirit
Wild Magic -- Helpful Spirit uses Curse of Doom here. This overwrites the Curse of Doom Breezy Book used.
Sear Magic -- To remove Curse of Doom
Swap to Ghastly Kid
Hoof
Hoof
Hoof
Ethereal -- To dodge Helpful Spirit's Curse of Doom.
Hoof
Hoof -- Helpful Spirit died here for me.

vs. Delicate Moth
Haunt
Swap to Fragment of Anger
Soulrush -- Doesn't matter, Delicate Moth uses Counterspell here and interrupts your turn.
Soulrush
Spiritfire Bolt -- Delicate Moth died here for me.

Feo

Re: Family Familiar -- 76/150 Battles

Post by Feo » November 8th, 2016, 12:44 am

Added a bunch more fights since the last bump.

Painbow
Pet Score:10044
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Painbow » November 30th, 2016, 11:41 pm

FuxieDK wrote:Bredda Tenderhide - Beasts (not my strat)

Bredda Tenderhide - Mech:99077:1568:118:574:564:564:525:310:566:174:803:509:423:N:Turn 1: Chew\nTurn 2-4: Stampede\nBring in your Cinder Pup\nTurn 1: Crouch\nTurn 2-: Flame Breath until Quillino is dead\nFethyr comes in\nTurn 1: Crouch\nTurn 2-: Flame Breath until your Cinder Pup dies\nBring in your Feline Familiar\nTurn 1: Stoneskin\nTurn 2: Prowl\nTurn 3-: Onyx Bite until Fethyr is dead
This is aqua not beasts!

Painbow
Pet Score:10044
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Re: Robert Craig -- Incomplete (1/10)

Post by Painbow » December 3rd, 2016, 2:39 pm

Feo wrote:Robert Craig
<Grand Master Pet Tamer>

Located at 78.4, 57.3 in Stormheim when the World Quest My Beasts's Bidding is active.

Has pets Thrugtusk, Wumpas, and Baeloth.

Notes:

Aquatic
[pet]Darkmoon Turtle[/pet] (1,1,1)
[pet]Hydraling[/pet] (1,2,1)
[pet]Fen Crab[/pet] (1,2,2) (P/P is the best breed for this fight. Any P/P crab with Blood in the Water is fine.)

vs. Thrugtusk
Shell Shield -- Will block all the damage from Stampede when Thrugtusk uses that ability.
Headbutt
Bite
Bite
Bite
Bite
Shell Shield
Bite -- Thrugtusk died here for me.

vs. Wumpas
Headbutt -- The stun from my Headbutt landed.
Bite -- Robert Craig swapped pets to Baeloth this round, so the Bite hit Baeloth.

vs. Baeloth
Bite -- Doesn't matter, Baeloth uses Crystal Prison here.
Pass -- Darkmoon Turtle died here for me.
Swap to Fen Crab -- Fen Crab is the pet I picked for fighting Baeloth. If I was still fighting Wumpas, I would have swapped to Hydraling.
Shell Shield
Rip
Blood in the Water
Rip -- Baeloth died here for me.

vs. Wumpas (Round 2)
Rip -- Didn't matter, Fen Crab died here for me before attacking.
Swap to Hydraling
Deep Bite
Deep Bite
Shell Armor
Deep Bite
Deep Bite
Deep Bite
Deep Bite
Deep Bite -- Wumpas died here for me.

Beast
Critter
Dragonkin
Elemental
Flying
Humanoid
Magic
Mechanical
Undead
Nope doesn't work. Wumpas always headbutts and stuns my turtle so he dies before he even gets his own headbutt off.

Feo

Re: Robert Craig -- Incomplete (1/10)

Post by Feo » December 6th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Painbow wrote:Nope doesn't work. Wumpas always headbutts and stuns my turtle so he dies before he even gets his own headbutt off.
The stun from Headbutt has a 25% chance to land. It's bad RNG that Wumpas "always" does that to your turtle and good RNG that Wumpas did not do that to mine.