We all know how OP the undead racial is, that the mechanical passive is a poor substitute, but still damn good.
Dragons and magic types, I feel, get the least amount of love and with good cause.
Everybody else is pretty situational.
With those examples being said, I wanted to get everyone's opinions on how they would rank all of the 10 pet families based both on their passive abilities as well as their "strong against/weak to" match-ups.
Here is mine: (Disclaimer: This list mostly concerns PVP pet battling)
1. Undead (obviously)
2. Critter (strictly for their undead counter)
3. Elemental (the only pet family to completely counter another. plus, 40% nocturnal strikes are crucial)
4. Mechanical (only behind ele's for obvious reasons)
5. Humanoid (might as well name this the Fiendish Imp racial. would be higher, but, you know, undeads...)
6. Beast (very handy coupled with crouch-like moves and also takes care of the numerous critters around)
7. Aquatic (see critter. could be so much better, but there are just very few good water-type pets)
8. Flying (I've never been a fan of the feeling of getting caught with your pants down)
9. Dragonkin (weak dmg against undead just solidifies this spot for me)
10. Magic (completely situational and very seldom used; needs a buff)
The only changes I'd like to see in Legion are buffs to Magic & Dragon and a nerf to the Undeads.