My Pet Collection
You've collected 0 pets

Racial Rankings

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Biscuit
Top Rater

Pet Score: 5000
Realm: Jaedenar-US

Racial Rankings

Postby Biscuit » December 8th, 2015, 11:39 am

We all know how OP the undead racial is, that the mechanical passive is a poor substitute, but still damn good.

Dragons and magic types, I feel, get the least amount of love and with good cause.

Everybody else is pretty situational.

With those examples being said, I wanted to get everyone's opinions on how they would rank all of the 10 pet families based both on their passive abilities as well as their "strong against/weak to" match-ups.

Here is mine: (Disclaimer: This list mostly concerns PVP pet battling)

1. Undead (obviously)
2. Critter (strictly for their undead counter)
3. Elemental (the only pet family to completely counter another. plus, 40% nocturnal strikes are crucial)
4. Mechanical (only behind ele's for obvious reasons)
5. Humanoid (might as well name this the Fiendish Imp racial. would be higher, but, you know, undeads...)
6. Beast (very handy coupled with crouch-like moves and also takes care of the numerous critters around)
7. Aquatic (see critter. could be so much better, but there are just very few good water-type pets)
8. Flying (I've never been a fan of the feeling of getting caught with your pants down)
9. Dragonkin (weak dmg against undead just solidifies this spot for me)
10. Magic (completely situational and very seldom used; needs a buff)

The only changes I'd like to see in Legion are buffs to Magic & Dragon and a nerf to the Undeads.
Thoughts? disagreements?

Helbrecht

Pet Score: 4274
Realm: Eldre'Thalas-US

Re: Racial Rankings

Postby Helbrecht » December 8th, 2015, 4:10 pm

You're conflating racial abilities with damage strengths and weaknesses, but really those are two different lists. What's your list look like if you only consider the racial abilities?

I think the dragonkin racial is actually pretty good; lots of dragons have non-dragonkin attacks, so they're not necessarily even at a disadvantage against undead.

Lyraat

Pet Score: 3649
Realm: Elune-US

Postby Lyraat » December 9th, 2015, 12:04 am

Helbrecht wrote:You're conflating racial abilities with damage strengths and weaknesses, but really those are two different lists. What's your list look like if you only consider the racial abilities?

Aye. Big difference between just racials and overall family strength. Aquatics, for example, are very much in demand due to the prevalence of undead pets. But their racial is atrocious: 50% dot reduction? Pathetic. The elemental racial only comes into play for a very select group of abilities. Outside of those specific weather conditions, it doesn't factor into the battle at all.

Milotha
Top Rater

Pet Score: 4908
BattleTag®: milotha#1158
Realm: Silver Hand-US

Postby Milotha » December 13th, 2015, 7:01 am

The problem is some racials are useful no matter what you are up against: undead, mechanical, humanoid, beast, dragonkin, flying. These contain the more powerful racials. Then there are the elemental, aquatic, critter, and magic whose usefulness is more dependent upon the enemy team. Among the more useful racials: undead, mechanical and humanoid are always active and provide a heal like effect.

Return to Pet Battles