Best Breed? - Hallow's End edition

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us
Best Breed? - Hallow's End edition

Post by Aur » October 18th, 2015, 5:36 pm

For the new Hallow's End pets [pet]Ghastly Rat[/pet], [pet]Ghost Maggot[/pet] and [pet]Spectral Spinner[/pet], what are your thoughts on the best breeds for these? I was happy to get a S/S spider, and thinking I want a power version of the Maggot, but not sure on the Rat. I have a P/B in the rat and maggot now.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Re: Best Breed? - Hallow's End edition

Post by Paladance » October 19th, 2015, 2:09 am

I've rarified S/S spider (yay!) and P/B maggot aswell, but like you, I'm not sure about the rat.
To be honest, with an average stat profile there is no practical usage for any breed.
Otherwise I'd say H/S and this is the one that I have caught. But I keep it uncommon ATM.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » October 19th, 2015, 8:10 am

Yes, I agree I want that [pet]Spectral Spinner[/pet] with its Blinding Poison to have 325 speed, so S/S. No point blinding the opponent after he's killed you!

I don't see anything compelling about the breed choices for the other two.

I went for P/B [pet]Ghost Maggot[/pet] as well.

I also got H/S [pet]Ghastly Rat[/pet] but I'm still half-thinking P/B would be better. Of course, since I'll likely never play either this or the maggot, I'm not sure it matters that much.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » October 19th, 2015, 10:41 am

Gráinne wrote:Yes, I agree I want that [pet]Spectral Spinner[/pet] with its Blinding Poison to have 325 speed, so S/S. No point blinding the opponent after he's killed you!

I don't see anything compelling about the breed choices for the other two.

I went for P/B [pet]Ghost Maggot[/pet] as well.

I also got H/S [pet]Ghastly Rat[/pet] but I'm still half-thinking P/B would be better. Of course, since I'll likely never play either this or the maggot, I'm not sure it matters that much.

I agree on the breed choices on the spinner and maggot.
And think a p/b would be best for the rat since it will be an undead killer with its critter moves.
So you want it to hit as hard as possible and be slow to take advantage of the undead racial.
With crouch too it will have some surviabilty.
A h/p one would be amazing

Gracin
Pet Score:3449
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Gracin » October 19th, 2015, 1:41 pm

I grabbed both a S/S and P/S Maggot last night, I'll probably try and nab a P/B today.

I just took a H/S Rat, seeing as I really wasn't sure what route I wanted to take for it, but the idea of taking a P/B to take advantage of the UD racial is a good thought.

For the spinner, I took both a P/S and S/S. I like the S/S speed with blinding, but at 289 speed the P/S might make quite a heavy hitter.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » October 19th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Yup, it looks to me as if, using

Keeping up Swarm of Flies
Consume otherwise
and Ghastly Bite on undead round

the P/B [pet]Ghastly Rat[/pet] will do about 340 more damage than the H/S over (and after) its life, assuming it's taking 300 damage per round. It's the extra power going into healing from Consume that allows it to live as long as the H/S, but put out that bit more damage.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » October 20th, 2015, 2:20 am

I went P/B for the [pet]Ghastly Rat[/pet] and S/S (but picked up a P/S as well for testing) for the [pet]Spectral Spinner[/pet] myself.

I caught an S/S and a P/S on the [pet]Ghost Maggot[/pet] and will see how they play. I may look into picking up a P/B as well and decide later which to keep.

Vakeetah
Top Rater
Pet Score:9677
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Post by Vakeetah » October 20th, 2015, 11:30 am

The [pet]Spectral Spinner[/pet] is a S/S for sure (best results for [ability]Blinding Poison[/ability]). P/S and P/B might be good for a pure leech combo, although against medium speed pets, the P/S may still be able to pull a Blind and follow-up with [ability]Spectral Strike[/ability].

I've captured two [ability]Ghost Maggot[/ability], a P/B for general use, and a S/S for full advantage of [ability]Stench[/ability] and [ability]Survival[/ability]. Doesn't seem to have much potential in either case.

As for Ghastly Rat, I'll agree with the general consensus that its skillset favors a speedy breed, but S/S is not available. So I've captured a S/B and a P/B. Considering it favors Critter damage, which is most effective vs. other Undead, you don't need to be extremely fast. Only a handful of undeads outspeed the S/B ([pet]Mr. Bigglesworth[/pet], [pet]Widget the Departed[/pet], and the S/S versions of [pet]Bone Serpent[/pet] and the other two Hallow's End pets), and the P/B has just enough speed to beat most other Undeads, so the lack of Speed doesn't seem so terrible on second thought.

Nevertheless, not sure which of the two breeds, P/B or S/B, I'll end up upgrading and using yet.
- Thanks to Paladance for the sig!

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 24th, 2015, 8:10 am

Biscuit wrote:S/S [pet]Ghost Maggot[/pet] is the way to go.
Being able to throw survival up first is the key.
Question on this as I haven't tried it: Would the speed matter since you don't need to use it until the undead round anyways (where you only would 'die' at the end of the turn normally)? I know the speed could be useful for preventing the undead round, but just asking for the other case.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » October 24th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Being faster = 2 rounds of [ability]Survival[/ability], 1 round of [url=http://wowhead.com/petability=724]Damned[/url].
Being slower = 1 round of Survival, 2 rounds of Damned.

So speed matters only if you have a plan to use Survival at least twice.
Would be virtually possible if boosting [ability]Plagued Blood[/ability] with something.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507