Rematch 4.0

Discuss your favorite pet addons and macros.
Aranesh
Pet Score:7380
Realm:Lothar-eu
Re: Rematch 4.0

Post by Aranesh » September 25th, 2015, 7:03 am

Hey Gello!
To the export/import, all I can say is: NICE! I've been fooling around with it for some time now and trying to break things, but so far nothing came up.
I noticed a completely different issue though which is again related to multi-acount users. As you probably know only one account can use the pet battles at a time, even if 2+ are online on one battle.net. In the standard UI this is indicated:

Hovering or trying to do something with the pets gives an error message saying that only the first logged-in account can use the pets.
Using Rematch however this whole section is overlapped of course. Swapping pets is non-functional with no indication or messaging of what's going on.

Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Gello » September 25th, 2015, 7:12 am

Aranesh wrote:Hey Gello!
To the export/import, all I can say is: NICE! I've been fooling around with it for some time now and trying to break things, but so far nothing came up.
I noticed a completely different issue though which is again related to multi-acount users. As you probably know only one account can use the pet battles at a time, even if 2+ are online on one battle.net. In the standard UI this is indicated:

Hovering or trying to do something with the pets gives an error message saying that only the first logged-in account can use the pets.
Using Rematch however this whole section is overlapped of course. Swapping pets is non-functional with no indication or messaging of what's going on.
Interesting. This is something I was totally unaware of.

I re-activated a second account a few days ago for testing purposes, but it has to stay totally separate so I can send bnet messages. So unfortunately this behavior isn't something I can test. I'll poke around the default code and maybe wing it.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

And it's good to hear when you guys are trying to break things. :D Half the purpose of this beta is to find problem areas.

Alext41
Pet Score:4346
Realm:Rajaxx-eu

Post by Alext41 » September 25th, 2015, 10:48 am

What should i say, i'm voiceless. This is so much better than V3. All is in what we need.
I installed B21 and at the moment i did't find any issues. But i'm now playing more with the great add on.

If you need help for the translation part i can help you with german.

Darkrose8519
Pet Score:5043
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Darkrose8519 » September 25th, 2015, 11:42 am

Gello wrote:The red save button isn't lit up? Do you see pets filled out at all? Or a warning that it's an invalid team? (I don't know what you mean by the green checkbox.)

From that text you should see:

There is no "Mechanical Dragonling". If you had "Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling" it will put a MPD in the second slot. But since it doesn't know what "Mechanical Dragonling" is it puts a ? there.
huh...this is what I get when I click the import button at the top of the teams list.. Image

edit: hmm seems I'm still using version 3.5something... thats probably the issue. Curse isn't being updated I guess?

Gello

Post by Gello » September 25th, 2015, 11:49 am

Oh that's version 3.x. You're in for a surprise I think!

If you're not a fan of betas, the wait shouldn't be too much longer. But if you were interested in jumping in early, you can download the 4.0 beta here:

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... 0Beta.html

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » September 25th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Darkrose8519 wrote:On that note is there a collection of exports around here of the teams people are using for dailies?
Not yet, but I bet there will be. :)

Gello, this is really working well. :)

I just set one up to try out the process. Aki.

I note I was able to specify a levelling pet "at most level 25" which is probably unintended but harmless.

Aki the Chosen (NPC#66741)

1: Zandalari Anklerender (1,1,2)
2: Clockwork Gnome (1,1,1)
3: Leveling Pet

Preferred leveling pets: at least 266 health (or any Magic/Mechanical, Aquatic damage expected); at most 1400 health; at least level 1; at most level 25.

Bite
Leap until Chirrup is dead.

Stormlash enters.

Black Claw.
then Lightning kills Anklerender

Bring in Gnome
Build Turret. Turret kills Stormlash.

Swap in Levelling Pet

Swap back to Gnome

Build Turret

Metal Fist

Alext41
Pet Score:4346
Realm:Rajaxx-eu

Post by Alext41 » September 25th, 2015, 1:03 pm

Darkrose8519 wrote:On that note is there a collection of exports around here of the teams people are using for dailies?
You can take the teams from the great site:
wow-petguide . com

There are all teams as export string.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » September 25th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Alext41 wrote:
You can take the teams from the great site:
wow-petguide . com

There are all teams as export string.
True, but not yet with all the new features - Notes and Preferences. I think it's the kind of thing that Aranesh will get around to once Rematch 4 is released, though. :)

It's an amazing time to be levelling pets; I only wish I had some left to level. :)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 25th, 2015, 4:25 pm

There is a blog post on Murloc Harbor ( http://murlocharbor.com/ )that has a lot of Rematch team codes (for version 3x). Might be something to peek at. It is a bit down the page (there are some for Tiny Terrors of Tanaan and for Awefully Big Adventure as well...separate blog posts.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Gello

Post by Gello » September 26th, 2015, 4:46 am

If any are wondering, the "string" format of an exported team is forward/backward compatable with all versions of the addon. A 3.x user should have no problems importing teams exported as strings from 4.0 and vice versa. Except 3.x won't recognize notes and preferences in those teams. It treats them as extra garbage and ignores them.

The format may change in time but this old format should be recognized for as long as the addon exists. I was on the verge of doing a format change for strings (it'd take up less space to use the "112" format instead of "123:456:789:" to indicate the 3 abilities a pet uses (could even get it down to one character if translated to a bitfield), and an extra field for breeds and perhaps hexadecimal numbers) but after some testing, I decided to wait until the breed situation is more settled. And despite all my hand-wringing over editbox limits and compression, it seems the default editbox is tolerably okay at handling 25k characters (a little lockup but not too long) and extreme lengths do lock up but the client regains control after a while. Single team compression seems to be limited. Even with LibCompress most teams were longer with LZW or Huffman encoding. Obviously a string of numbers can be much more heavily compressed, but we'll see how this works. If sending 4k of notes in one blast disconnects a user, I can dole the data out over time. For multiple teams (only to benefit export/import since you can't send multiple teams at once) it wasn't as drastic an improvement as I'd hoped. A tab of 100 teams with assorted notes would compress to 50% size in raw ASCII but to get it into a copy/pastable format expanded it back to nearly the same size as it started. So algorithmic compression is being set aside (whew!).

Totally unrelated, but do you guys think the single panel view should be made default? I'm a little worried that when this goes live there may be some panic from existing users over how drastically different the UI is. Perhaps showing single panel initially may lessen the shock. I may make the reverse toolbar buttons default too, since the heal button is in the lower left of 3.x.

Delis
Pet Score:8891
Realm:Andorhal-us

Post by Delis » September 26th, 2015, 2:53 pm

I have noticed that the pet toast does not always show when a leveling pet is changed. I have my queue set to Ascending Level with active swap turned on. Also the "Hide Leveling Pet Toast" is not selected in the Options. I think the issue has to do with the Team Leveling Preferences. If the team I am using has a Leveling Preference and some of the pets in the queue are excluded because of the leveling preference that seems to be when the pet toast does not show. If all the pets in the queue a not effected by the Leveling Preferences then the pet toast shows correctly. The pets are swapping out correctly just not always getting the toast. I would like to see the Pet Toast any time a pet is swapped automatically because of the active swap or because of the leveling preferences caused a pet swap.

Gello

Post by Gello » September 26th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Delis wrote:I have noticed that the pet toast does not always show when a leveling pet is changed. I have my queue set to Ascending Level with active swap turned on. Also the "Hide Leveling Pet Toast" is not selected in the Options. I think the issue has to do with the Team Leveling Preferences. If the team I am using has a Leveling Preference and some of the pets in the queue are excluded because of the leveling preference that seems to be when the pet toast does not show. If all the pets in the queue a not effected by the Leveling Preferences then the pet toast shows correctly. The pets are swapping out correctly just not always getting the toast. I would like to see the Pet Toast any time a pet is swapped automatically because of the active swap or because of the leveling preferences caused a pet swap.
Thanks for bringing it up and especially details to reproduce it. This should be fixable. At the moment it toasts when the top-most pet in the queue changes. I'll make it so it toasts when the top-picked (preferred) pet changes.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 26th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Gello wrote: Totally unrelated, but do you guys think the single panel view should be made default? I'm a little worried that when this goes live there may be some panic from existing users over how drastically different the UI is. Perhaps showing single panel initially may lessen the shock. I may make the reverse toolbar buttons default too, since the heal button is in the lower left of 3.x.
I think defaulting to options that are as similar to version 3.x is a good way of easing the changes into people who haven't used beta. On the flip side, how do we get people to try out the new things? There's a lot of good stuff.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Darkrose8519

Post by Darkrose8519 » September 26th, 2015, 5:33 pm

updated to 4.0 and all the previous problems I'd posted about are gone! LOVE the changes :D

I use http://www.wowhead.com/guides/battle-pets/celestial-tournament-with-18-pets to do the celestial tournament but with the way its written I can't get the teams to import.. any fix for this other than just doing them all manually one at a time?

Gello

Post by Gello » September 26th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Darkrose8519 wrote:updated to 4.0 and all the previous problems I'd posted about are gone! LOVE the changes :D

I use http://www.wowhead.com/guides/battle-pets/celestial-tournament-with-18-pets to do the celestial tournament but with the way its written I can't get the teams to import.. any fix for this other than just doing them all manually one at a time?
Those teams can't be made importable, unfortunately. The page's formatting doesn't include the pet numbers when you copy it to clipboard. It needs those numbers at minimum to tell it what slot a pet is going to and that the text following is a pet name. It also wouldn't be able to pick out abilities (which is kinda ok from a technical standpoint--if the import doesn't understand what abilities the text describes it will just ignore the abilities; but in a practical sense it'd require manually adjusting all nine abilities after the import). It'd also require a few other minor tweaks to make it work, which I'd be happy to do except it still couldn't read that team due to the lack of numbered pets (and the lack of abilities would make it not as practical).

Darkrose8519

Post by Darkrose8519 » September 26th, 2015, 6:06 pm

Gello wrote:
Darkrose8519 wrote:updated to 4.0 and all the previous problems I'd posted about are gone! LOVE the changes :D

Those teams can't be made importable, unfortunately. The page's formatting doesn't include the pet numbers when you copy it to clipboard. It needs those numbers at minimum to tell it what slot a pet is going to and that the text following is a pet name. It also wouldn't be able to pick out abilities (which is kinda ok from a technical standpoint--if the import doesn't understand what abilities the text describes it will just ignore the abilities; but in a practical sense it'd require manually adjusting all nine abilities after the import). It'd also require a few other minor tweaks to make it work, which I'd be happy to do except it still couldn't read that team due to the lack of numbered pets (and the lack of abilities would make it not as practical).
Thanks for looking. I'll just import them by hand lol, I did it once before so it won't be that bad. People need to understand the magic that is Rematch and write their guides accordingly damnit! lol

Aranesh
Pet Score:7380
Realm:Lothar-eu

Post by Aranesh » September 27th, 2015, 5:26 am

Darkrose8519 wrote:Thanks for looking. I'll just import them by hand lol, I did it once before so it won't be that bad. People need to understand the magic that is Rematch and write their guides accordingly damnit! lol
On it ^^
Gráinne is absolutely right, once Rematch 4.0 is finalized I'll rework the Rematch strings generated on http://wow-petguide.com to include more data (notes, min/max level pets if possible). Regarding the Celestial Tournament, I'm about to release my own guide for it in a few minutes and that one already includes working rematch strings, so if you want to give it a try, go for it!

Back to the actual topic, I'm still trying around but couldn't find any other issues with the notes. I noticed one thing though: The preferences you can only set for a team, not for individual levelling slots. There are some rare situations where it's interesting though to have 1 low-level pet (1-5) and one high-level (22-24) in a team, to bring both up at the same time. Currently there is no option to set this in the preferences though.
I assume it is intentional since it's rather uncommon to have several leveling pets in one team, merely a suggestion :-)

Gello

Post by Gello » September 27th, 2015, 6:15 am

Aranesh wrote:On it ^^
Gráinne is absolutely right, once Rematch 4.0 is finalized I'll rework the Rematch strings generated on http://wow-petguide.com to include more data (notes, min/max level pets if possible). Regarding the Celestial Tournament, I'm about to release my own guide for it in a few minutes and that one already includes working rematch strings, so if you want to give it a try, go for it!

Back to the actual topic, I'm still trying around but couldn't find any other issues with the notes. I noticed one thing though: The preferences you can only set for a team, not for individual levelling slots. There are some rare situations where it's interesting though to have 1 low-level pet (1-5) and one high-level (22-24) in a team, to bring both up at the same time. Currently there is no option to set this in the preferences though.
I assume it is intentional since it's rather uncommon to have several leveling pets in one team, merely a suggestion :-)
That will be cool. If there's anything that needs to be more forgiving in the import, let me know. Such as if you add some comment somewhere and it's messing up the import.

Setting a leveling preference for an individual slot would require quite a bit of work, unfortunately. I have an idea how it could happen in code, even for the UI bit (have the blue arrow icon on individual pets instead of the whole team), but it'd require overhauling how preferences work. So I don't foresee the possibility anytime soon, sorry! But I'll keep it in mind when adding preferences for a whole tab down the road.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » September 27th, 2015, 11:35 am

Gello, I know this is waaaaay out of scope, but since a case just came up, I'll mention it anyway.

There are many times when I'd like to capture my Pet Battle Log for a battle. Maybe because I'm trying to work out a specific strat, and I'd like to record the moves for analysis. Maybe because I was breezing through a known strat and something unexpected happened. Maybe because I got creamed in a PvP battle and I don't know why.

It would be very nice to be able to copy my pet battle log to clipboard for export. /makes_puppy_eyes

Gello

Post by Gello » September 27th, 2015, 6:29 pm

Gráinne wrote:Gello, I know this is waaaaay out of scope, but since a case just came up, I'll mention it anyway.

There are many times when I'd like to capture my Pet Battle Log for a battle. Maybe because I'm trying to work out a specific strat, and I'd like to record the moves for analysis. Maybe because I was breezing through a known strat and something unexpected happened. Maybe because I got creamed in a PvP battle and I don't know why.

It would be very nice to be able to copy my pet battle log to clipboard for export. /makes_puppy_eyes
This falls way outside the scope yeah. :(

However, there are some chat addons that can do this. Prat and Chatter are a couple examples. I just downloaded Chatter to test and it was able to copy the pet combat log to an editbox you can copy.