My Pet Collection
You've collected 0 pets
Log in to track your collection

Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
User avatar
Foxyproxy
Top Rater
 
Posts: 21
Joined: March 21st, 2015
Pet Score: 2937
Realm: Silvermoon-EU

Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Foxyproxy » March 31st, 2015, 2:54 am

Hello everyone , i was wondering if someone was kind enough to look into my collection and tell me which pets are useful to level to 25 and be converted to Rare Quality if needed.

I'm waiting for Squirt day to start leveling and planning to get at least 50 pets to lvl25 and convert at least half of them to rare if needed since i have plenty of pet charms saved for Flawless stones ( and pet treats ),

Also if i'm missing some pets that you think are a must to have then please inform me so i can try to get them , Thanks in advanced ^_^

User avatar
Celya
Top Rater
 
Posts: 57
Joined: February 19th, 2014
Pet Score: 4103
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel-EU

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Celya » March 31st, 2015, 6:07 am

Well, just from a quick glance you seem to have made a good start already, since you have lvl 25s of several pets I would suggest. But it's a bit tricky for me to advise you if I'm not sure what activity you are aiming at (apart from collecting and levelling). Do you specifically want pets for some of the trainers, for the Celestial Tournament, for pvp?

Your Emperor Crab and Rapana Whelk are both only lvl 22 and I think neither are rare but they're good breeds, I would suggest levelling and upgrading (or hunting for correct rares) next if you're going after pets that are used in a lot of carry strategies. I personally use Lil Bling and the Teroclaw Hatchling a lot, and they are also good for pvp atm. Some people swear by foxes, I prefer the Fjord Worg Pup myself because I sacrifice health for extra power, but that's a personal choice, a lot of people prefer one of the H/S foxlings (I think it's the alpine one not sure). A speedy frog (those are easy to capture around level 23) is useful in the tournament. If you're going to be doing a lot of wild battles, a cat-type pet with Devour is selfhealing and helps when you're low on bandages etc (I like the Feline Familiar, you can also use any cat with that ability though). A Nether Faerie Dragon or Sprite Darter Hatchling helps if you want to carry pets against the WoD trainers. I like the S/S Cogblade Raptor to help me carry pets against Major Payne.

Just for starters lol.

User avatar
Abbotta
MVP
 
Posts: 201
Joined: November 18th, 2014
Pet Score: 3626
BattleTag®: LynneSin#1318
Realm: Area 52-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Abbotta » March 31st, 2015, 7:20 am

Celya wrote:Your Emperor Crab and Rapana Whelk are both only lvl 22 and I think neither are rare but they're good breeds, I would suggest levelling and upgrading (or hunting for correct rares)


If those pets are not rare do NOT level then again until they are rare. At level 22 you'll lose two levels once they are upgraded to rare and that's a lot of wasted work. However I would put both of those pets (especially the Whelk, a personal favorite of mine) high on the list for upgrades. I use my whelk to go up against every one of those Pandarian Spirit Tamers and he comes out those battles with plenty of health to spare. Once upgraded to rare then level them ASAP!

I swear by the pet filter here on WCP when decide on what pets to level and/or upgrade : http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/filter/

Since you still have pets of all qualities I would suggest this filter: Pets Collected INCLUDE, Pets Rare EXCLUDE, Duplicates EXCLUDE then sort by battle rating. That will give you an idea of the pets that you should get upgraded first.

Then for power-leveling I would do a filter for Pets Collected (Rare) INCLUDE, Pets Collected (Level 25) EXCLUDE, Pets Collected (Duplicates) EXCLUDE and again sort by battle rating.

For everyday leveling remember this - once a non-rare pet hits level 15 it will lose one level when upgrade to rare and 2 levels once it gets to level 20. So when you are doing regular leveling of pets do not level your non-rare pets much past 15 until you can get them upgraded to rare.

Hope this helps!

User avatar
Foxyproxy
Top Rater
 
Posts: 21
Joined: March 21st, 2015
Pet Score: 2937
Realm: Silvermoon-EU

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Foxyproxy » March 31st, 2015, 8:25 am

Celya wrote:Well, just from a quick glance you seem to have made a good start already, since you have lvl 25s of several pets I would suggest. But it's a bit tricky for me to advise you if I'm not sure what activity you are aiming at (apart from collecting and levelling). Do you specifically want pets for some of the trainers, for the Celestial Tournament, for pvp?


I kinda want to level the pets that are most used in general for everything , since i have enough pet charms to upgrade over 30 pets to rare and since Squirt can let me power level 8-10 pets to lvl25 per hour i was thinking i could take advantage of that before they reduce the exp it gives later on.

i have over 400 pets that aren't at max level ( or not rare or wrong breed ) and i wanted to know which ones i should begin with that could help me now or in the future including the ones i haven't gotten yet so i can buy them or try to collect them by other means.

thanks for your suggestions and that was great advice abbotta regarding the Sorting and upgrading rarity with stones , i'll be sure to upgrade them to rare then start leveling them :)

User avatar
Quintessence
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: June 4th, 2008
Pet Score: 5156
Realm: Proudmoore-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Quintessence » March 31st, 2015, 5:13 pm

Abbotta wrote:If those pets are not rare do NOT level then again until they are rare. At level 22 you'll lose two levels once they are upgraded to rare and that's a lot of wasted work.


I believe the level penalty for using a battlestone to upgrade a pet's quality was removed in 6.1. The tooltip that mentions a pet will lose levels if a battlestone is used on them was removed.

But if you want to be on the safe side (because bugs sometimes do pop up :P), upgrade quality first and then level the pets up. If you live on the wild side, level and then upgrade away! :)
Image
Feel free to browse through Perks N Peeves, my vanity pet collecting blog!

User avatar
Foxyproxy
Top Rater
 
Posts: 21
Joined: March 21st, 2015
Pet Score: 2937
Realm: Silvermoon-EU

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Foxyproxy » April 1st, 2015, 4:29 am

Abbotta wrote:
Celya wrote:
I swear by the pet filter here on WCP when decide on what pets to level and/or upgrade : http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/filter/

Since you still have pets of all qualities I would suggest this filter: Pets Collected INCLUDE, Pets Rare EXCLUDE, Duplicates EXCLUDE then sort by battle rating. That will give you an idea of the pets that you should get upgraded first.

Then for power-leveling I would do a filter for Pets Collected (Rare) INCLUDE, Pets Collected (Level 25) EXCLUDE, Pets Collected (Duplicates) EXCLUDE and again sort by battle rating.

Hope this helps!



using the pet filter i'm trying to buy the pets with the best battle rating in AH ( that i currently don't have ) and was wondering if you think the following are good priced and if i should buy them ( or wait if they are expensive ) :

Gilnean Raven - 5k
Darkmoon Tonk - 2.5k
Son of Animus - 15k
Magical Crawdad - 7k
Servant of Demidos -4.5k
Feline Familiar - 3.5k
Crawling Claw - 13k
Pygmy Direhorn - 4.5k
Sprite Darter Hatchling - 7k
Ruby Droplet - 15k
Syd the Squid -6.5k
Jademist Dancer -1.5k
Emerald Whelplin -6k
Fragment of Desire -4k
Widget the Departed -3.5k
Fragment of Suffering - 2k
Kovok -5k
Sunblade Micro-Defender 2.5k
Bronze Whelpling -4.5k
Fragment of Anger -7k

This is the first page of pets i don't have sorted by battle ratings , have a budget of 50k , if there are other pets that are not listed please inform me , but among these pets which ones you think i should get at the moment ?

User avatar
Kpb321
 
Posts: 938
Joined: April 30th, 2013
Pet Score: 3974
BattleTag®: kpb#1554
Realm: Sisters of Elune-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Kpb321 » April 1st, 2015, 10:54 am

Prices can vary significantly from server to server so it's hard to say what is a good price and what isn't. Offhand the Servant of Demidos looks like a really good price to me but that is the only one that really stands out as being a good deal.

I'd definitely wait on the Darkmoon Tonk. The fare starts on sunday and it shouldn't be too hard to get your own. Do all your profession quests. Do the dailies. Buy the drops for the turn in quests if need be and it should be possible to get a tonk in a single fare. Worst case you can buy it next month when the fare starts again. Syd also becomes available as a drop from the back from the trainer and seems to have a decent drop rate so you might get your own.

For the Gilnean Raven one important thing to remember is that the pet has been nurfed, so to speak. It used to have multiple breeds available but now only comes in b/b but they didn't change the breed on all the existing pets so there are s/s, p/s and p/b ravens out there. The s/s is pretty popular and a fair bit more valuable. The p/s breed can be pretty nice but isn't nearly as valuable as the s/s breed.

I'd expect the price on all three fragments will keep dropping as they are part of the recently added Raiding with leashes set so are relatively new. Same for the Sunblade micro-defender. You can work on farming them yourself and should be able to sell or trade duplicates you get along the way.

User avatar
Peanutty
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: May 3rd, 2011
Pet Score: 5100
BattleTag®: PBCup#1312
Realm: Kil'jaeden-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Peanutty » April 1st, 2015, 12:03 pm

Asag wrote:using the pet filter i'm trying to buy the pets with the best battle rating in AH ( that i currently don't have ) and was wondering if you think the following are good priced and if i should buy them ( or wait if they are expensive ) :

This is the first page of pets i don't have sorted by battle ratings , have a budget of 50k , if there are other pets that are not listed please inform me , but among these pets which ones you think i should get at the moment ?


As kpb noted prices vary wildly by server, and you're EU so I don't know what the "average" prices are.

Some of these seem wildly expensive to me... a Fragment of Anger for 7k?? Ouch.

You should really look into farming some of these yourself. Most of them are obtainable at no cost with a bit of work: running BT for the fragments with lvl 90+ toons is fairly fast and simple, Jademist Dancers can be farmed easily from TI, a B/B Gilnean Raven only costs 75 silver if you level a worgen. If you were rolling in gold then I'd say go ahead and just buy whatever you want, but 50k will disappear fast if you're thinking of buying your way to a larger pet stable.

User avatar
Aurae
Top Rater
 
Posts: 100
Joined: May 7th, 2013
Pet Score: 4328
BattleTag®: Aurae#1297
Realm: Ravencrest-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Aurae » April 1st, 2015, 1:07 pm

Quintessence wrote:I believe the level penalty for using a battlestone to upgrade a pet's quality was removed in 6.1. The tooltip that mentions a pet will lose levels if a battlestone is used on them was removed.

You are correct! I upgraded a ton of 25s to rare once 6.1 hit. Had a ridiculous stockpile of charms, so it was a lot of summoning going on. :p

User avatar
Corah
 
Posts: 98
Joined: August 6th, 2008
Pet Score: 4798
Realm: Llane-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Corah » April 1st, 2015, 5:30 pm

Lifelike Toad is a great pet to level, it has kiss, is fast and is a mechanical, make it blue and then level it.

Lil' Bling is also pretty useful.

I would only rareify pets that are not catchable in rare form first.

User avatar
Abbotta
MVP
 
Posts: 201
Joined: November 18th, 2014
Pet Score: 3626
BattleTag®: LynneSin#1318
Realm: Area 52-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Abbotta » April 1st, 2015, 5:37 pm

Corah wrote:Lifelike Toad is a great pet to level, it has kiss, is fast and is a mechanical, make it blue and then level it.

Lil' Bling is also pretty useful.

I would only rareify pets that are not catchable in rare form first.


I have to agree with that - when I had a slew of pets that needed upgrade to rare I would focus on the non-wild pets upgraded to rare first unless it was a very hard to find wild pet (ie - you get a junk Unborn Val'kyr you upgrade that to rare ASAP!). There is a filter in the Pet filter for Tradable.

I found a great way of leveling all those low level pets around levels 1-10 was searching for rare pets in the wild. I got bored doing the same tamers over and over again. Plus extra cash bonus from all the mats I gathered and sold on AH while searching for rares (I'm a miner).

But I'm at the point now that the only thing left to upgrade are the low rated wilds so that's what gets done unless a friend has a high-end pet they just bought that isn't rare then I do a favor for them.

User avatar
Foxyproxy
Top Rater
 
Posts: 21
Joined: March 21st, 2015
Pet Score: 2937
Realm: Silvermoon-EU

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Foxyproxy » April 1st, 2015, 6:03 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone , i have bought me Servant of Demidos as you said ( found one for 3.5k ) and will level Lil' Bling as you said Corah when Squirts arrives a couple of days later

but wanted to ask you about Lifelike Toad , He has Aquatic abilities to counter Elementals , but isn't it kinda of a suicide to put a mechanical against Elementals ? He will take increased damage from them , wouldn't it better to play a critter against elementals ? ( for example Rapana Whelk which has dive ( aquatic ability ) so it can take less damage from elementals and deal extra , sorry kinda new to this so i might not see the bigger picture and would love to know more :)

i already put the pets celya recommended on the list of the pets i'm going to power level , thanks again guys for the tips and i hope more people will recommend more pets till Squirt day arrives on sunday along with the highest battle rated pets on the list.

User avatar
Corah
 
Posts: 98
Joined: August 6th, 2008
Pet Score: 4798
Realm: Llane-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Corah » April 1st, 2015, 9:39 pm

I don't put him against elementals per se, but he's just an awesome all round pet. That kiss can be super powerful if the RNG kicks in and he's fast enough that he goes first a lot too. I don't do much PvP, but I really like him for PvE.

User avatar
Jerebear
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: September 15th, 2013
Pet Score: 5004
Realm: Llane-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Jerebear » April 2nd, 2015, 6:48 am

Asag wrote:but wanted to ask you about Lifelike Toad , He has Aquatic abilities to counter Elementals , but isn't it kinda of a suicide to put a mechanical against Elementals ? He will take increased damage from them , wouldn't it better to play a critter against elementals ? ( for example Rapana Whelk which has dive ( aquatic ability ) so it can take less damage from elementals and deal extra , sorry kinda new to this so i might not see the bigger picture and would love to know more :)


While I wouldn't personally recommend the lifelike toad over others, don't forget that not all elementals use elemental abilities. Some use aquatic, etc. instead. Having a diverse stable is not a bad thing.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Jemis
 
Posts: 1
Joined: December 11th, 2013
Pet Score: 2088
Realm: Terenas-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Jemis » April 12th, 2015, 12:21 am

Anyone mind looking through my collection and giving similar advice?

I've got a leveling queue set up that I'm pretty happy with, but I also have 11 of the insta-25 stones to use.

I'm thinking Corgi, Iron Starlette, Bling, Darkmoon Tonk.... But open to other suggestions, and still need 7 others.

User avatar
Abbotta
MVP
 
Posts: 201
Joined: November 18th, 2014
Pet Score: 3626
BattleTag®: LynneSin#1318
Realm: Area 52-US

Re: Advice needed on which pets to level to 25.

Postby Abbotta » April 12th, 2015, 10:31 pm

Aurae wrote:
Quintessence wrote:I believe the level penalty for using a battlestone to upgrade a pet's quality was removed in 6.1. The tooltip that mentions a pet will lose levels if a battlestone is used on them was removed.

You are correct! I upgraded a ton of 25s to rare once 6.1 hit. Had a ridiculous stockpile of charms, so it was a lot of summoning going on. :p


Thanks for letting me know!

By the time 6.1 rolled around most of my pets have been upgraded to rare other than the really low level pets. But it's good to know the correct information so I'll stop giving out bad advice!!


Return to Pet Battles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Biscuit and 5 guests