Suggestions for Places to Level on Mid-Level Enemies?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Cyendia
Pet Score:5638
Realm:Drak'Tharon-us
Suggestions for Places to Level on Mid-Level Enemies?

Post by Cyendia » February 8th, 2015, 4:56 pm

In preparation of the bird trio coming to the menagerie on Tuesday, I want to quickly level a lot of my level 1 pets to somewhere around 4 or 5 so they can survive the Arcane Storm.

I spent some time yesterday in Silithus where the battle pets are around level 17 and was able to get quite a number of pets to level 5 in one battle each. Using my Lil' XT with Heartbreaker/Tympanic Tantrum the battles were super fast. But the battle pets are really spread out in Silithus, so there was a lot of down time running around to find the next battle.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a well populated area of mid level battle pets where I could level as quickly without much down time?

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Re: Suggestions for Places to Level on Mid-Level Enemies?

Post by Abbotta » February 8th, 2015, 5:28 pm

I love outland. It's more than just getting the pets to a quick level up in one battle but being able to kill the remaining pets as quickly as possible.

If you have a Nexus Whelping/Arcane Eye - those pets can kill any trio of pets in Outland super quick. It takes about 4-6 battles to get most pets from level 1 to level 12 which isn't bad. And I always go to areas where I don't have a rare in those pets so I can see if I can upgrade the outland pet I have to rare. Also the Whelpings hit so fast you rarely need to heal them.
Last edited by Abbotta on February 12th, 2015, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Impeesa
Pet Score:8653
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Impeesa » February 10th, 2015, 4:40 am

I still like the Marsh Fiddlers in Valley of the Four Winds. You can find some pretty good clusters of them, you can grind with no downtime with a Zandalari raptor with devour, and they are almost totally incapable of killing a level 1 starting pet.

Prawl
Pet Score:2897
BattleTag®:magehor#1793
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Prawl » February 10th, 2015, 6:10 pm

Good info

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » February 11th, 2015, 10:50 am

Back when I had a horde of level 1's I used to take them thru their first fight up in the NE of Blade's Edge Mountains in Outland. Just before the bridge into Netherstorm there is an area where little basilisks wander around. On average they always have 1 or 2 moves in their choices that wont kill a level 1, so I would just open with them. If the level 1 gets killed I'd forfeit and pick the next one. Allowed me to go thru a lot of fights quickly since they are such low level, getting all the lowbies to like 5 or so before moving on.

This was before I started using raptors/gahz'rooki/feline familiar to shred the cricket-crew in the Valley of the Four Winds. Now I would just use a stunning pet to open for a level 1, then the carry, then clean up with a feline familiar in FFR outside the Horde garrison.

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » February 11th, 2015, 11:29 am

If you want to get your level 1 pets to lvl 4-6, just grab some bandages and explode your first 2 pets, otherwise why would you save your bandages for?

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » February 11th, 2015, 11:30 am

Also a reminder,

you never need to level any Magic of Mech pets. They are fine at level 1 without any issues.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » February 11th, 2015, 1:14 pm

3wd wrote: If you want to get your level 1 pets to lvl 4-6, just grab some bandages and explode your first 2 pets, otherwise why would you save your bandages for?
Because it's an extremely inefficient way to level pets, it's only slightly faster than using a Nexus Whelp to Mana Surge everything after a swap. And especially impossible for new players who don't have a thousand bandages in storage (yeah, packrat, w/e). Still, it's a viable alternative if you want an excuse to burn through the bandages I suppose. :D
3wd wrote:Also a reminder,
you never need to level any Magic of Mech pets. They are fine at level 1 without any issues.
That is an incorrect statement in general - as both magical and mechanical pets can be killed by multi-hit abilities in 1 turn. However as long as you know you aren't facing pets like flyers with Quills or Alpha Strike you are correct, they can survive any single hit damage. Of course if the enemy team can cast any kind of AoE your level 1 will again be at risk, Magic/Mechanical or otherwise. So the lesson here is know your foe.

Robotusch
Pet Score:10391
BattleTag®:Roboe#2913
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Robotusch » February 11th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Probably irrelevant now, since the next JSA-day is likely to be post-6.1, but I like to head to Seradane in The Hinterlands. Very few people around, even fewer enemies, but a metric load of critters. Your carry is never in danger of dying* and a Flayer Youngling will rip through whatever resistance is offered up. With the safari hat and a lesser pet treat, level 1 carries will almost always be safe after a single battle.

For JSA day, remember that Mechanicals and Magic pets will both survive the aoe thanks to their racial. Flyers need 351+ hp for a strong crit. Everyone else just needs 234 + hp to survive a crit.

* although undeads may run into trouble against Hares with Flurry.