PTR menagerie experience nerfed

Discuss content found on WoW's testing realms.
Chicca
Pet Score:13552
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu
Re: PTR menagerie experience nerfed

Post by Chicca » January 23rd, 2015, 10:32 am

Saddly, I can confirm that the xp received from Menagerie daily over the pet lvled is nerfed in live normal server. I just noticed this after tested in 3 chars today.

Yesterday, after did the Ashran apexis daily I got stuck in a limbo empty Stormshield town...after infinite numbers of tries, delete cache, disable addons etc, I used the repair/scan Blizzard tool that ended reinstalling the game 14.9 GB at 1.2Mb/s....after 7 hours in this crazy slow download I logged into the game to notice that wasnt 'fixed' the issue and I open a ticket that was answered relatively quick after half hour and the GM fixed it and I could continue to play...well I went to bed was almost 3am...

Two hours ago I logged and found that a 23 lvl pet in the actual daily Menagerie only received 167-210 xp when usully I gel 1 lvl for each battle with only using hat. I tested this in 3 chars and I went trought wow forums but none are comment what I found here.

I can guess that the yesterday reinstalation of the game comes with the nerfed xp in Menagerie and I figure out now also with the Pet Tamers battle around all over WoW.

Saddly this nerfed will call back the pain of leveling slow the pets. Why Blizz decide to do such actions when none are complaining? Now we will see a shower of complains when this will be fully implemented.

So get this warning, cross fingers, no reinstall wow and try to lvl your pets asap before the patch come alive.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 23rd, 2015, 10:52 am

Niaabi wrote:I'm currently leveling my pets using the Icespine Hatchlings (using 2 lvl 25's and 1 low level against them) - does anyone think this way will be nerfed in 6.1?
I would guess highly doubtful Niaabi, this method is the way it was before WOD, after tamers there was no other choice but to hunt wild battles. I am sure this method will remain the same.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 23rd, 2015, 11:01 am

Chicca wrote:Saddly, I can confirm that the xp received from Menagerie daily over the pet lvled is nerfed in live normal server. I just noticed this after tested in 3 chars today.
Chicca what did you fight? If you are on a EU server then it would likely be the Beakinator since, if my memory serves, is one day behind US rotation.

If that is the case exp has not been nerfed yet, it's always been reduced. You get a bonus for facing 3 opponents plus the normal exp for each one of the pets you defeat. One opponent means just exp for that one kill and no bonus.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Alesis
Pet Score:2472
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Alesis » January 23rd, 2015, 11:11 am

Noooooo!

if this is the case i have some leveling to do asap. need to ask off work for the next bird day. anyone know when 6.1 goes live?

Buruan
Pet Score:11735
Realm:Eitrigg-us

Post by Buruan » January 23rd, 2015, 11:15 am

This is bad news indeed.
I wouldnt actually mind leveling on Icespine Hatchlings and/or Aquatics in the Valley, if they werent that contested.
Leaving the XP gain aside, the main reason for leveling in the menagerie is that there is no competition, I can go there and always find a battle.
If they nerf the XP i hope it will at least be as viable XP wise as any other method.

But, lets hope they dont nerf it at all.....

I for one will be killing a lot of Jahans next time he is up :)

Niaabi
Top Rater

Post by Niaabi » January 23rd, 2015, 2:40 pm

Morlis wrote:
Niaabi wrote:I'm currently leveling my pets using the Icespine Hatchlings (using 2 lvl 25's and 1 low level against them) - does anyone think this way will be nerfed in 6.1?
I would guess highly doubtful Niaabi, this method is the way it was before WOD, after tamers there was no other choice but to hunt wild battles. I am sure this method will remain the same.
Thank you Morlis, it's a quicker way for me to level than grinding them through all the zones :)

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » January 23rd, 2015, 3:35 pm

Morlis wrote:
Chicca wrote:Saddly, I can confirm that the xp received from Menagerie daily over the pet lvled is nerfed in live normal server. I just noticed this after tested in 3 chars today.
Chicca what did you fight? If you are on a EU server then it would likely be the Beakinator since, if my memory serves, is one day behind US rotation.

If that is the case exp has not been nerfed yet, it's always been reduced. You get a bonus for facing 3 opponents plus the normal exp for each one of the pets you defeat. One opponent means just exp for that one kill and no bonus.
I'm on EU, it's Beakinator today, and my level 18 pet got 356 xp with safari hat...

Actually getting a bit sick and tired of the way they "balance" the game these days. I understand some things can only be identified after a patch goes live, and I realise some of it is experimentation, but WTF is up with the heavy-handed way they do these things?
"Hmm, menagerie pet xp is a bit high, seems people are just levelling their pets there and not bothering to go out of the garrison. What shall we do about it?"
"I have the solution! We'll just obliterate that xp to a tiny fraction of what it used to be! Those fools will be forced to play the game the way we want them to!"

This is not something that required testing, this is not something that was unforseeable. Just like with the menagerie-unlock achievement, it's like they didn't even think about what they were doing when they designed it.

Desi
Pet Score:5590
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Desi » January 23rd, 2015, 4:31 pm

Graven wrote:
I'm on EU, it's Beakinator today, and my level 18 pet got 356 xp with safari hat...

Actually getting a bit sick and tired of the way they "balance" the game these days. I understand some things can only be identified after a patch goes live, and I realise some of it is experimentation, but WTF is up with the heavy-handed way they do these things?
"Hmm, menagerie pet xp is a bit high, seems people are just levelling their pets there and not bothering to go out of the garrison. What shall we do about it?"
"I have the solution! We'll just obliterate that xp to a tiny fraction of what it used to be! Those fools will be forced to play the game the way we want them to!"

This is not something that required testing, this is not something that was unforseeable. Just like with the menagerie-unlock achievement, it's like they didn't even think about what they were doing when they designed it.
+1

I came into pet battle pretty late and still have around 300 pets to max level. Using the garrison pet fight made leveling all those pets seem possible. :shock:

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479

Post by Tekulve2012 » January 23rd, 2015, 8:35 pm

Too bad Blizzard didn't spin this into something fun and positive... If the pet leveling boon shows up twice a month why not create a <Jahan, Samm, Archimedes> event?!

Can you imagine if they created a special instance or zone like a DM Faire for pet leveling...theres room for a lot of innovation here...Im sure many of you have run into the same folks when doing pandarian tamer dailies ...I know i wave and fly off ...there could be more...a sort of group pet leveling party for pet lovers

For more variety, throw in novelty - some here have proposed a pet pvp arena... I know this is not for everyone but I find pet PvP is very busy nowadays so maybe its popularity is on the rise....

Just food for thought...instead of shutting down something that people want and like, they should enhance and promote it IMHO

Ryna
MVP

Post by Ryna » January 23rd, 2015, 9:10 pm

Good news: Aquatic training stones are now dropping, all single level stones (both family and flawless) and pet charms are retroactively BoA, and the mystery bag now drops "at least one random family battle stone".

Moonie1
Top Rater
Pet Score:3510
BattleTag®:Moondoggie#1666
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Moonie1 » January 23rd, 2015, 11:21 pm

Since it sounds like they are going to nerf it, you might as well plvl as many as you can before the patch.

In case people didnt know... you can join a group with a higher level toon that has the Pet Menagerie in their Garrison, use the View Group Leaders Garrison and you can powerlevel your pets on a under 100 toon and get character experience with each win. You can use the +20% experience gains potion from the Innkeeper as well. It works with the pet battles in regards to the experience your character gains. On the Jahan day you can get about 30-45 wins in per hour at 10900 xps per win (13080 with potion)... which works out to about 327k-490k (392k-588k) per hour. Thats a hour and a half to two hours for a character level while you are powerleveling your pets.

The catch is... the person inviting you has to be higher level, they have to have the pet menagerie at any level so the daily appears and they have to be in their garrison when you join the party and swap over to their garrison in order for it to show up. After that the higher level group leader can leave the Garrison while you battle away. If I recall correctly, they cant log out tho or it teleports you out of their garrison when you become the party leader.

Enjoy it while you can.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » January 24th, 2015, 9:48 am

Honestly, I'm glad they're going to nerf the menagerie. I'm probably in the minority here, and this may seem a little selfish, but I don't like the idea of being able to level forty or fifty pets in a day. I spent months flying around pandaria, doing bag dailies, hitting old world tamers, and power leveling on wild pets. The thought that I could have just waited and done it all in just a few weeks just rubs me the wrong way. A nice pet collection should feel like a big accomplishment, not something that is given out like candy

Alesis

Post by Alesis » January 24th, 2015, 11:50 am

Skavenged wrote:Honestly, I'm glad they're going to nerf the menagerie. I'm probably in the minority here, and this may seem a little selfish, but I don't like the idea of being able to level forty or fifty pets in a day. I spent months flying around pandaria, doing bag dailies, hitting old world tamers, and power leveling on wild pets. The thought that I could have just waited and done it all in just a few weeks just rubs me the wrong way. A nice pet collection should feel like a big accomplishment, not something that is given out like candy

I understand what you're saying, its very much like them giving out halaa tokens in follower missions, i actually earned the Dark War Talbuk in BC by killing 200 horde players, and it pissed me off that they're giving it away for free now.

On the other side, pet collections should be about the collection. As in, the hard part (and the exciting part) is actually finding, grinding, or earning the pet to begin with. The leveling part to me is tedious, unrewarding, and feels unnecessary. Anything that allows me to get past that quickly is a good thing. I've only just gotten into pet battles in the past month or so, and im looking at the daunting chore of eventually leveling 500+ more pets. If i have to do that by farming condors in Dragonwaste im going to be upset, and will probably just stick to leveling necessary pets for PVE/PVP instead of worrying about years of grinding for a higher pet score.

If they're gonna have stuff like heirlooms (or lvl 90 for $60) to level your alts in a day or two, they should leave people creative enough to come up with 2 pet leveling strats alone. A lot of those strats take time and effort to find the right pets and breeds to pull it off anyway.

Ah well....Blizzard is famous for eventually killing anything fun for me, should have expected it.

Skavenged

Post by Skavenged » January 24th, 2015, 1:59 pm

I disagree. Blizzards job is to keep us, as players, paying to play. Their goal is to give us enough content to keep us busy until the next patch. If they design content to last for months, and players find a way to complete it in days, that is bad for business. Heirlooms and the lvl 90 upgrades are designed so that players can get to the most current content, in this case level 90 and Draenor, as rapidly as possible. New players, bogged down in old content, is also bad for business. Personally, I have gotten bored and left WoW many times over the years until the next patch. I just ran out of things to do... Until pet battles came out. The pet grind is a great way to keep players coming back. You mentioned the grind of "Getting" the pets, but even that has been cheesed now. The days of searching for hours to find a specific pet, as a rare, in a specific breed are over. You can just snag a gray, do your draenor dailies, buy a stone, and its done. I want the grind back. The sense of accomplishment. That feeling of "OMG, I cleared another hurdle"

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 24th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Skavenged wrote:Honestly, I'm glad they're going to nerf the menagerie. I'm probably in the minority here, and this may seem a little selfish, but I don't like the idea of being able to level forty or fifty pets in a day.
I agree with this, on a personal level... but at the same time I understand the appeal of why people wanted to level pets via Menagerie, though I knew it would get nerfed, since they'd previously fixed it so you couldn't repeatedly grind MoP tamers by not turning in the quest. This to a similar thing and I'm amazed they didn't hotfix it sooner.

I'm still flying the Pandaria route every day, leveling pets 2 or 3 per day. I suppose it's a waste of time but it's a comfortable routine for me and I like getting stones, even if I don't use them.
Skavenged wrote:The days of searching for hours to find a specific pet, as a rare, in a specific breed are over. You can just snag a gray, do your draenor dailies, buy a stone, and its done. I want the grind back. The sense of accomplishment. That feeling of "OMG, I cleared another hurdle"
That's a decision that each player has to make, to decide if mass stoning like that makes sense to them and the way they play this mini game. Me, I'm sitting on an ever growing pile of stones and yet refuse to stone common pets like Frostfur Rat and Leopard Tree Frog because I'm still trying to catch them as rare, in a specific breed, in a certain size. Yes I do have a breaking point where I'll probably give in, but we're talking days or weeks of failure before I'll throw in the towel :) because I do like that sense of excitement when I finally find what I've been waiting for.

Skavenged

Post by Skavenged » January 24th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Exactly, Peanutty. I do one fight per day in the menagerie for the bag. Leveling pets there just isn't for me. For leveling, I fly pandaria as well.

Whedoknitter
Pet Score:4450
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Whedoknitter » January 24th, 2015, 2:49 pm

I'm planning on taking major advantage of the next 2 days. Since the fights tomorrow (Grubbles, Scrags & Stings) allow you to level a pet from 1-9 with just the safari hat, my goal is to get all my pets out of the danger zone for Monday's battle (Samm, et al). Once I get all my pets off level 1, then I'll work on leveling if I'm not burned out. Then Monday I'll try to level as many as possible with the 2 food buffs and the hat. Luckily I have the day off work (or not so luckily, as I made it happen for the pet battles). I don't have a problem, no I don't. ;)

Alesis

Post by Alesis » January 24th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Skavenged wrote:Exactly, Peanutty. I do one fight per day in the menagerie for the bag. Leveling pets there just isn't for me. For leveling, I fly pandaria as well.
Totally respect where you guys are coming from. I only got into pet battles recently because i was annoyed i didn't have all the buildings in my garrison unlocked and found i really enjoyed it. So wasn't there for the old school ways of leveling pets and don't have any love for it. That being said, i'm going to fully take advantage of the menagerie battles until they ruin it for me. I have monday off for bird day, the spouse has been warned, i have a pile of biscuits, and i have 70-80 pets ready to go. :D

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 24th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Skavenged wrote:I do one fight per day in the menagerie for the bag. Leveling pets there just isn't for me.
I admit I only do the Menagerie daily now out of curiosity to see if I get any duplicate pets from the bag lol (which is a whole 'nother topic... and so far, no I haven't).

And yes, I have tried sitting down and using the Menagerie to power level. I wanted to see if it was something that would work for me, because it really did seem like the way to go, but I just found it tedious. I don't know if it's because you don't have to move around, or because you don't get a little bag or what, but after about an hour and a half I just lost interest. Then again I don't like grinding wild battles either, but in that case it's because I don't like how little xp they give in comparison to tamer battles.

Oh yes, and I forgot to add... I'm using alts to do my Pandaria route. They all have hearths set to the Shrines, plus one has the engineering port and another the CM hearths. So I'm leveling 4 toons this way as well. I didn't know you could go to someone else's garrison to battle in their Menagerie though!

Whedoknitter
Pet Score:4450
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Whedoknitter » January 24th, 2015, 5:09 pm

When I'm doing the super repetitive menagerie grind, I always have a TV show on in the background to entertain me. Right now I'm working on Friends on Netflix. Helps to keep it from being super monotonous.