Cannot Seem to Decide..

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Quisilor
Pet Score:941
Realm:Kilrogg-eu
Cannot Seem to Decide..

Post by Quisilor » December 4th, 2012, 8:14 am

So I recently started pet battles after coming back to the game, I quite like it but I am finding the leveling hard work. I dont know if i'm using the wrong pets, trying to level too many at once.. or what.
I have a large number of rares between 4-8 generally from Org, Durotar, Ashenvale and Stone Talon. Also have some pet store rares etc as you can see in my collection.

Would I be better off just picking 3 and going for it to 25 ? then worrying about all the trainers etc ? Should I have 2-3 sets of 3 I rotate around - would mean leveling them each zone, so I dont have to visit healer much ?
Looked over the x vs z sheet but now cant seem to find it again.

If someone can point me along right tracks of some good combos based on what I have so I can get ahead would be appreciated.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Re: Cannot Seem to Decide..

Post by GormanGhaste » December 4th, 2012, 8:20 am

The first thing I did was get one team to 25. I didn't really worry about fighting the tamers until I had a rare in every family at 25.
Mingyao on Madoran

Wynn
Pet Score:5568
Realm:Runetotem-us

Post by Wynn » December 4th, 2012, 8:23 am

The trainer quest are really good xp and do them as soon as you can, once you finish the grand master in the area you unlock that's daily.

Level a good tanking pet as fast as you can to help carry your other pets.

Onyxian Whelpling has been my MVP for the job, she has a good heal, Tail Sweep hits x2 most times because she slow and lift off can make some big hits from the other team miss.
Last edited by Wynn on December 4th, 2012, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Healer that loves Cheesecake, Taiboku - Nall - Ronfa

Mccamio
Pet Score:2473
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us

Post by Mccamio » December 4th, 2012, 8:25 am

I'm not sure if its the route you want to take, but when i started out... instead of choosing my team to level together straight away, I captured pets just for their level, then use them to catch higher level pets and so fourth, untill i finally could capture pets beyond level 20. Then i captured a team of level 20+ pets and used those pets to level my lower level team. It seemed like an efficient way to A: add to my collection & B: quickly get a high level team in order to power level my "select" team.

I Hope this helps :)

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Post by Hellomynameis » December 4th, 2012, 8:50 am

Mccamio wrote:I'm not sure if its the route you want to take, but when i started out... instead of choosing my team to level together straight away, I captured pets just for their level, then use them to catch higher level pets and so fourth, untill i finally could capture pets beyond level 20
This is the way I did it too. I could use 3x lvl10 to catch one lvl12 at a time, and within 3 fights, I had a team of 3x lvl12 instead of 3x lvl10, I think this is the fastest way to start out.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » December 4th, 2012, 9:07 am

The tamer dailies also give bandages which make leveling faster if you don't have a lot of subs. The further you go, the more subs you'll have, because you'll be catching rares. I leveled about 8-10 pets together, to decrease downtime.

Muskogean
MVP
Pet Score:10493
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Muskogean » December 4th, 2012, 9:48 am

I started out with randomly teaming my favorite pets. When I came up against a tamer I would research and level a team specifically for that tamer. I first went for numbers taming in the wild, but I only level rares. Now I farm for upgrades. The exception to this is the ultra-rare spawns. I will challenge one or two and forfeit if there's no rare but I won't clear an area to allow others to get their first.

The above method lead to multiple pets leveling in a bunch. It also keeps me playing new pets and learning their positves and negatives. Now that all tamers are beaten regularly I have three teams consisting of a level 10-19, 20-24, and a 25. I generally level in Pandaria, especially just outside Halfhill where you can hop over to the Stable Master in seconds for a heal and rez. I first fight the lowbie until his health is at the point where he might be killed with the next shot. Then I bring in the 20-24 to do the journeyman work. The 25 is saved in case the 20-24 is having a bit of trouble to perform a coup de grace. I have 3 teams set up this way using PetBattleTeams addon. When one pet gets low enough that he might be one-shot I switch out teams and continue. When all three teams are hurting I visit the Stable Master. This keeps me in the field battling longer. This method slows individual progression somewhat but allows for more pets leveling overall. If taming while leveling use a level 25 with damage mitigation to help keep from killing the target. Researching upcoming tamers or ones you had trouble with will let you know which pets to add to the team as the lowbie or mid-level.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 4th, 2012, 10:43 am

I also used the pet jumping method a bit. I picked a couple pets I wanted to level to 25 first. In that case for me it was my Pandaren Monk and Clockwork Gnome. I would level them until I got some higher level pets but I would always pair one of them on my teams to keep them going.

So it would be Monk, 12, 12 vs the 14's then then Monk and the 14's . The Monk and Gnome usually didn't stray too far behind.

Tamers are a great source of pet xp as well.

Knowing what I know now, I would have leveled my Darkmoon Zep first as it's an awesome pet to use and great to power level other pets with.