Brutal Pet Battle Achieve for a PvP noob

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Monkeykibble
Pet Score:2069
Realm:Dark Iron-us
Brutal Pet Battle Achieve for a PvP noob

Post by Monkeykibble » December 29th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Anyone able to suggest a team that's consistent? I have a decent number of lvl 25's and willing to bump up others I have that people think might be viable. Thanks in advance! Just found out about the stunted direhorn, so I have a new goal now :)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: Brutal Pet Battle Achieve for a PvP noob

Post by Kpb321 » December 30th, 2014, 12:24 am

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but there isn't such a thing in pvp, at least not until you adjust your expectations. You have to remember that pvp is a zero sum situation as every time you win someone else has to loose. The overall win loss ratio will be 50/50. Getting above 50/50 means you are above average and probably have a good team and know how to play it well. As a new player 30-40% win rate is probably realistic. If you have that as your starting point for your expectations you'll do better.

Beyond that it is impossible to build a team that doesn't have any weaknesses and can't be beaten. There is always some sort of counter that you is hard for you to deal with. One thing that a lot of people get bored with is you have to deal with FotM (flavor of the month) teams where there are a limited number of good pets and teams that are pretty effective so everyone starts playing them. That leads to people trying to counter those teams/pets and usually the pets get nurfed in some way. A good recent example is the unborn valk. Was extremely powerful and popular before WoD came out. You saw a rise in popularity of crabs as they are a solid counter for valks and the valks got nurfed in the 6.0 patch before WoD. I'm not much of a pvper and still haven't found the motivation to grind out the rest of the pvp battles I need for the stunted direhorn so I'll leave actual team recommendations to others =)
Last edited by Kpb321 on December 30th, 2014, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » December 30th, 2014, 12:20 pm

I would recommend someone to take his/her time. The pvp pet achievements are time consuming. Grinding PvP battles can be a pain! It can feel repetitive. Try to make it fun, and do not set it as an immediate goal. Try to pet battle because you feel like pet battling, if that makes sense.
Choose pets that you like! Try out ideas. Try different teams. Learn what makes your teams work. Gaining knowledge helps in the long run.
I personally love pet PvP, I hope that you will like it too!

I have created viable pvp teams for around 80% of my pets. Most pets are viable. It is great to have some combo's, defenses and coverage in your team though.
This is a good guide: http://pvppetbattles.com/guides/creating-a-team/ It explains the most important things needed for pet pvp. Ignore the Top Pets section, since it is outdated.

Choosing 3 FotM pets is mehs. You can do it, but I assume that you would enjoy it a lot less.
Regardless. The EU meta isnt defined yet, and it is pretty volatile. Pretty much everything can work at the moment. A team that works amazing for you on Wednesday, might do horrible for you on Thursday.

I can't help you with a specific team of three random pets. Which pets do you prefer using? Which pets/teams do you usually lose against?
Like kpb said, counters play a big role in pet pvp. If you lose versus AoE teams you could consider the Ghostpup (1-2-2) for example. It has an AoE heal and it counters quite a few AoE pets with its coverage.
Last edited by Awq on December 30th, 2014, 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Myfurion
Pet Score:13667
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Myfurion » December 30th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Personally, I run Anubasith Idol, Teroclaw Hatchling, and the final pet witch varies between Magical Crawdad and various other utility pets ( ex weebomination as an aoe potential / wall for my teroclaw to heal up behind).

Teroclaw hatchling is great in the pvp meta for me, since it has the flying perk, making Dodge a great choice to beat out cheese from an iron starlette team using Wind up, supercharge, wind up. It also has the nature's ward, giving it healing each round AND changing the type for damage taking to elemental! The reason elemental is good in this case is because i run into FAR more mechanical than aquatic. You can take your pick on the first two moves, as one is good for critters vs aquatic.

Anubasith Idol is all around still strong, and I use crush, sandstorm, and deflection. Sandstorm is a nifty counter to weather combo teams ( crows, lighting dots, arcane storm into mana surge and more) and in addition, provides decent cover from an AOE team ( especially moves similar to cyclone from several flying types and a few dragons, cleave from weebomb, thunderbolt to a lesser extent, and dreadful breath as long as you use sandstorm AFTER their rain storm generator)

I have over 500 pvp pet battle wins, and would have more if it were not for the vast amount of time it takes to complete one. It can last more than 5 minutes per battle easily depending on the team types ( ex stalling by healing, of which I am partially guilty of myself with the teroclaw and magical crawdad). Just try to space the battles out over time to keep from getting bored.

Iamste
Pet Score:3340
Realm:The Maelstrom-eu

Post by Iamste » December 30th, 2014, 2:24 pm

I've been playing with a Moonfire team lately and it's been pretty fun.

Honestly, my experience of PVP has been dulled by the amount of people using Anub, Unborn, and Fiendish Imp. I use Anub and Unborn myself at times as there is no denying their sheer power, but I just get a little bored.
In fact, if you can make a team that counters them pets you'll probably win more than you loose. But even then, they'll not always be paired together.

Moonfire team was fun yesterday though, did the 10 PVP weekly, killed the same guy 3 times in a row and kept getting paired with him, he kept running away from the fight so I finished the quest within minutes :lol: Just got lucky that my team countered his, though.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » December 30th, 2014, 3:53 pm

You need to play to get good. When you get beet ask yourself why. If you get beet by a team you think might be really good play that team for a while.

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » December 30th, 2014, 4:13 pm

I've only done one pvp pet battle, and I lost, as I was challenged when I was camping Garnia and had no idea what pet team I had set up, lol.

But for that achievement, does it have to be through random battles, or can you duel someone 500 times to get the wins necessary?

I'm willing to pay the gold necessary to heal someone's pets through the battles if I can duel the same person enough times to get the Stunted Direhorm.

Is this possible?
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Iamste

Post by Iamste » December 30th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Darolyn wrote:I've only done one pvp pet battle, and I lost, as I was challenged when I was camping Garnia and had no idea what pet team I had set up, lol.

But for that achievement, does it have to be through random battles, or can you duel someone 500 times to get the wins necessary?

I'm willing to pay the gold necessary to heal someone's pets through the battles if I can duel the same person enough times to get the Stunted Direhorm.

Is this possible?
I thought it was only 250?

Melfice
Top Rater
Pet Score:3357
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Melfice » December 30th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Iamste wrote:I've been playing with a Moonfire team lately and it's been pretty fun.

Honestly, my experience of PVP has been dulled by the amount of people using Anub, Unborn, and Fiendish Imp. I use Anub and Unborn myself at times as there is no denying their sheer power, but I just get a little bored.
In fact, if you can make a team that counters them pets you'll probably win more than you loose. But even then, they'll not always be paired together.

Moonfire team was fun yesterday though, did the 10 PVP weekly, killed the same guy 3 times in a row and kept getting paired with him, he kept running away from the fight so I finished the quest within minutes :lol: Just got lucky that my team countered his, though.
What's your Moonfire team that you use btw? :)

Moonfire teams are one of my favorite, and last night I almost got a new addition I plan on using. I almost finished the Inn quest for the Sentinel's Companion. But we could not finish the instance, and I hope to have the pet tonight tho!

The Sentinel's Companion adds stun, moonlight to refresh Moonfire and it will have speed too (until 50% HP). I think my Celestial Dragon, and Xu-Fu will be very happy with their new team mate soon!

Iamste

Post by Iamste » December 30th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Melfice wrote:
Iamste wrote:I've been playing with a Moonfire team lately and it's been pretty fun.

Moonfire teams are one of my favorite, and last night I almost got a new addition I plan on using. I almost finished the Inn quest for the Sentinel's Companion. But we could not finish the instance, and I hope to have the pet tonight tho!

The Sentinel's Companion adds stun, moonlight to refresh Moonfire and it will have speed too (until 50% HP). I think my Celestial Dragon, and Xu-Fu will be very happy with their new team mate soon!
Hahaha, well it's actually Sentinel's Companion, Celestial Dragon, and my newly acquired Xu-Fu.
Been trying to get him for ages and managed it this week so I had to make a team for him :)

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » December 30th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Iamste wrote:
Darolyn wrote:I've only done one pvp pet battle, and I lost, as I was challenged when I was camping Garnia and had no idea what pet team I had set up, lol.

Is this possible?
I thought it was only 250?
Yes, but if I'm going to be fair, shouldn't they get the pet, too? 250 wins and 250 losses is 500 battles. :)

And no one has answered my question, can it be through pet duels, or does it have to be through the battle finder thingie?
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » December 30th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Darolyn it has to be random through the PVP pet battle finder, you can not just duel your friends unfortunately.

Don't forget to have a full team of 25's or it won't count.

I am the guy that everyone hopes they come against, because I loose 4 times out of 5. So I have 31/250 wins, I have given up and have this pet considered unobtainable.

If they flee that counts as a win for you, BONUS! Probably about 5 or so of my wins are from people who fled.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Taerie
Pet Score:4641
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Taerie » December 30th, 2014, 5:52 pm

I was looking into this myself the other day; absolutely dreading starting the grind for this pet. I ran across an interesting guide and the author lists a ton of PvP team setups he uses. http://pvppetbattles.com/my-teams/
Don't know if it helps any- haven't given any of it a try personally but it could be a place to start =]

Melfice
Top Rater

Post by Melfice » December 30th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Iamste wrote:
Melfice wrote:

Hahaha, well it's actually Sentinel's Companion, Celestial Dragon, and my newly acquired Xu-Fu.
Been trying to get him for ages and managed it this week so I had to make a team for him :)
Oh very cool! Xu-Fu is a great PvP pet, and he is one of my top dogs (cats)! How has your team been so far? The Sentinel's Companion looks like an awesome addition to my team. I hope the pet performs well in battle :)

Iamste

Post by Iamste » December 30th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Melfice wrote: Oh very cool! Xu-Fu is a great PvP pet, and he is one of my top dogs (cats)! How has your team been so far? The Sentinel's Companion looks like an awesome addition to my team. I hope the pet performs well in battle :)
It's a really nice team and they all compliment each other perfectly. You'll either have an easy win or a fast fail with it though. If someone gets on to what you're about they can ruin the whole thing.

Monkeykibble
Pet Score:2069
Realm:Dark Iron-us

Post by Monkeykibble » December 31st, 2014, 12:16 am

Awq thanks for the advice, will check out the guide, any info is handy :D

Taerie thanks, will definitely check that out! Wish you luck! :D

Iamste I have celestial dragon and some others, will check out a moonfire team appreciate the tip :D

Awq

Post by Awq » December 31st, 2014, 9:54 am

The 'My teams' section is outdated, it has not been updated in 6 months. You should check: http://pvppetbattles.com/daily-battle/ for newer teams! (it's the same blog)

Melfice
Top Rater

Post by Melfice » December 31st, 2014, 11:56 am

Awq wrote:The 'My teams' section is outdated, it has not been updated in 6 months. You should check: http://pvppetbattles.com/daily-battle/ for newer teams! (it's the same blog)
I always enjoy reading your blog man! I got some good ideas for teams from it :)

Awq

Post by Awq » December 31st, 2014, 12:52 pm

It's not my blog! It's Discodoggy, a poster from US!
I just recommend this blog to people who like to pet pvp, since it provides the best information out there.

Discodoggy
Pet Score:9713
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Discodoggy » January 2nd, 2015, 12:08 am

Awq wrote:It's not my blog! It's Discodoggy, a poster from US!
I just recommend this blog to people who like to pet pvp, since it provides the best information out there.
Hey thanks, I appreciate the recommendations and kind words.

I recently updated the team creating guide by taking out the part on accuracy and by changing the top pets section.

I also split the teams section into MoP and WoD sections, so people can just check out the newer teams if they choose.