Farm Rockbiter, Acidtooth and Stonechewer daily for XP

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Demiano
Pet Score:13688
BattleTag®:daemono#1210
Realm:Garithos-us
Farm Rockbiter, Acidtooth and Stonechewer daily for XP

Post by Demiano » November 30th, 2014, 11:01 pm

EDITED to be 100% effective except in the case of really badly timed crit.

Water spirit 1,2,2
Stiched Pup 1,2,1
carry pet LV 1 or higher

Rockbiter: start with water spirit and cast geyser, than whirlpool, then spam water jet until Rockbiter is dead

Stonechewer: now it depends on your water spirits health.

If water spirit has more than 845 health, then cast TWO water jets, then geyser then whirlpool
if water spirit has between 509 and 845 health, then cast ONE water jet then geyser then whirlpool
if water spirit has under 509 health then immediately cast geyser then whirlpool

after this series Water spirit is guaranteed to die right after whirlpool

Now switch in lv 1 carry and then immediately switch in Stitched pup without casting anything from carry pet

Stitched pup casts howl, then bite Stonechewer to death

Acidtooth:

stitched pup casts consume corpse then howl asap and bite until you can cast howl and after howl. Stitched pup will either kill Acidtooth in his res round or before getting to that point.

The only thing that could mess this up is a really bad crit from the enemy team.

Dont forget pet healer is standing right there so no need to use bandages.
Last edited by Demiano on December 30th, 2014, 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Winstonwaterston
Pet Score:5650
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Re: Farm Rockbiter, Acidtooth and Stonechewer daily for XP

Post by Winstonwaterston » November 30th, 2014, 11:34 pm

I'm sorry, but I can't confirm this strategy. I gave it a try just now. Out of five attempts, I succeeded only twice. The problem is that the RNG can cause the Stitched Pup to die at the same time as Acidtooth. Two actions is not enough to kill Stonechewer.

I tried a variant of your strategy where I'd try to get the Stitched Pup to die a second time just at the end of the battle, and omit the carry pet's participation to gain a round. If it had worked, then the carry pet would still get the XP. Of course, when I tried that, the Stitched Pup was still "alive" at the end of the battle and the carry pet got nothing.

It may be Blizzard tweaked the stats of this battle so your strategy no long works. Or maybe you were lucky, or I was not.

Demiano

Post by Demiano » December 1st, 2014, 12:03 am

Youre doing something wrong because Im using it right now, never failed. Most of the time the stiched lives, the backup is his undead ability so when he dies he still gets an extra shot off and still downs last pet, but thats the safety backup and rarely is needed.

You do have to follow the strat exactly, the timing requires it.

Demiano

Post by Demiano » December 1st, 2014, 12:18 am

Hmmm Im really sorry I didnt use correct names, I was calling Acidtooth Stonechewer and vice versa, not sure if thats where the confusion came in, I fixed it.

over 50 fights with no fail so:

When Stonechewer comes out, Water spirit is sitting at between 600 and 900 health, cast geyser, he casts shield, then cast whirlpool and he hits you for maybe 500, then cast water jet and he either kills you or go one more round where you cast water jet again. Then it asks you for next pet you choose carry, carry comes out you IMMEDIATELY switch to Stitched pup without casting anything. He will hit stitched pup right away, then he gets stunned by geyser and hit with whirlpool, his health is about 1500 now and yours is about 1000, you cast howl, he is stunned, then he casts body slam hitting you for 500 and himself for 400 and you use diseased bite killing him, or going one more round and disease bite him again, either way you are between 180 and 600 health

on the last pet (Acidtooth) what is the status of Stitched pup? When Acidtooth comes out my Stiched is at about 180 hp, I cast consume corpse to heal to about 800 hp, Acidtooth casts spiny carapace. Next round he hits me (acid touch 200 ish) and I cast howl. He hits me again (350) and I use diseased bite, he casts spiny carapace and I kill him with second diseased bite or he lives and go to next round where he hits me and kills me or I died from dot, either way I res and kill him with last diseased bite.

Demiano

Post by Demiano » December 1st, 2014, 12:51 am

Just realised you registered and this was your first post just to tell me my strat didnt work? Am I getting trolled? :D

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 1st, 2014, 5:32 am

Demiano wrote:Just realised you registered and this was your first post just to tell me my strat didnt work? Am I getting trolled? :D
I think you're being a bit overly defensive. :) The person just didn't manage to get it work. Maybe she/he got unlucky with enemy crits (edit: or just missed some part of the strategy). That's one thing that maybe can screw this up? I'm not sure, I'm being a bit lucky today, I've done it maybe 20 times now with different teams and have seen maybe one crit (which did screw up my strat for that team though).

I played around with a Snarly/Sitched Pup combo and a bonestorm-duo and thought that there must be an easy way to carry pets. It appears the answer was Pandaren Water Spirit :)

I wrote your strategy down to my Rematch notes using the formatting I'm used to:

Start with Pandaren Water Spirit
1. Geyser
2. Whirlpool
3. Water jet until Rockbiter is dead

Stonechewer comes out
4. Geyser
5. Whirlpool
6. Water jet until Pandaren Water Spirit dies

Choose carry pet then IMMEDIATELY
Switch to Stitched Pup
7. Howl
8. Diseased Bite 1-2x until Stonechewer dies.

Acidtooth comes out
11. Consume Corpse
12. Howl
13. Diseased Bite until Acidtooth dies.

The numbering don't reflect turns, but rather checkpoints.

Edit. Right now I got a try when Stonechewer's ability (Body Slam or Punch) crit my Stitched Pup and since it's slower than Stonechewer, it died to the next hit resulting in only being able to do Diseased Bite once against Acidtooth on its undead round.

Another source of variance might come from how many rounds PWS survives against Stonechewer. That coupled with crits and Murphy's law guarantees that there's always someone who will hit the brick wall. :D

Edit#5304. Being lucky sometimes screws things up too. I killed Rockbiter so that Geyser had 1 round cooldown left when I faced Stonechewer. So I did Whirlpool -> Geyser -> Water Jet -> Carry Pet -> Stitched Pup. This resulted in Stonechewer being stunned without being rooted and the invisible tamer switching the stunned Stonechewer to Acidtooth.

Edit#5305. I think it all comes down to Stitched Pup vs. Stonechewer. Stonechewer's Body Slam crits for 726 and hits for 508. Punch does 338. Stitched Pup has 1546 hp. He usually does 2x Body Slam & 1x Punch to my Stitched Pup. So if you calculate without crits the damage my Pup takes is ~1354. Add one crit from Body Slam and it's ~1572. Simply can't afford Body Slam to crit.

Demiano

Post by Demiano » December 1st, 2014, 11:33 am

ya after doing it like a hundred times I saw a bad luck crit at the wrong time make me fail about 3 times. I was just joking about being trolled because it was his only post.... why did he make a new account or wait all this time to make this single post? :D lol

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 1st, 2014, 6:32 pm

Gotta start somewhere? :) I did 70 winning battles to get to 500. I saw much more fails than you, might have even been every 10th battle or more frequently as I did receive crits 2-3 attemps in a row, but I don't know what the entire total of attempts was. Not counting the times when I did something retarded because alt-tabbing and repetition ftl.

Gingersnapp83
Top Rater
Pet Score:4773
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Gingersnapp83 » December 15th, 2014, 4:24 pm

Thanks Demiano! Your strat worked like a charm! Saved this team for next time! :D

Presto
Top Rater
Pet Score:4076
BattleTag®:Presto#1944
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Presto » December 15th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Demiano wrote:Water spirit 1,2,2
Stiched Pup 1,2,1
carry pet LV 1 or higher
Worked like a charm. This is even a stronger combo if you don't care about leveling and just want to zerg it with a 2 man, because you will often be able to apply howl before geyser and whirlpool go off the second time instead of losing the turn to a pet switch.
Presto says, "Let's trade!!" :P (btag: Presto#1944)

Rokk
Pet Score:8813
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Rokk » December 15th, 2014, 11:07 pm

I'd like to vouch for this. i'm having much success. thanks!

Beastlyserenity
Pet Score:3133
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by Beastlyserenity » December 16th, 2014, 4:03 am

Thanks this works! Just wish you would have posted it a bit earlier, oh well it can be used next time.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » December 16th, 2014, 8:48 am

Beastlyserenity wrote:Thanks this works! Just wish you would have posted it a bit earlier, oh well it can be used next time.
They posted it over 2 weeks ago!
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » December 16th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Yep, this strat seems to work ok for me. Thanks for posting! :)

Demiano

Post by Demiano » December 20th, 2014, 6:42 am

oh wow ok thought most people were ignoring this strat lol so didnt bother updating it, but I have since refined it to make it 100% with no chance for failure. Ive used this strat to level about 100 pets hehe.

Now if only I could remember my revisions off the top of my head! I'll have to wait until next time they pop up. Its the same strat but some slight timing changes that cut down the overall fight time and made it un-losable. Cast order changed depending on how much health you had left when second pet came out so that water spirit could always die after casting geyser and whirlpool and you didnt waste a turn with switching it out, but I cant remember the exact health numbers so wont post the revisions until I can see the fight again.

Demiano

Post by Demiano » December 30th, 2014, 7:50 am

Adding revisions to original post now, this makes the fight faster and 100% win rate. I have just levelled my very last pets to 25 using this strat, now my entire collection is lv 25 :)

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » December 30th, 2014, 9:17 am

This is a good pet battle to level up all those pets sitting around the level 20-24 range and all I need is one Aquatic Strider type pet and Unborn Valkyr for this to work.

For my opening pet I use a Dancing Water Skimmer and just keep using Pump. After Rockbiter is dead I might toss in one healing wave so I can get another set of pumps in that should get me halfway through Acidtooth.

Then I bring in the Unborn Valkyr. For this guy just use Shadow Shock until you go into the first death then cast Unholy Ascension.

Then bring in your level pet. Stonechewer is still going to have about 700HP on him and will heal so your pet should be around level 20 at the lowest so it has at least 1 big hit power against him. You should be fine.

I'll got about 10 pets I want to get boosted up to level 25 today, most of them are some rares I picked up of some of my favorite pets I already have but with different breeds like my new H/H Oily Slimeling.

Edit Note: This is a oood strategy for those of us without a level 20+ Pandarian Water Spirit. Mine is still at level 18 but I'm headed to Ashlei right now to get 2 more levels on her before I use it in this above daily. I tried it as the level pet today but without Geyser, the PWS did manage to kill Stonechewer but still died in the end.

Demiano

Post by Demiano » January 29th, 2015, 6:43 am

bumping this since its relevant today, easy way to get xp

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » January 29th, 2015, 11:24 am

Thank you very much!

Jeree
Pet Score:2795
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Jeree » January 29th, 2015, 11:40 am

Registered just to thank you, this is so helpful and has worked 100% of the time (been repeating it for over an hour now). I've already leveled quite a few pets to 25, my husband is going to be soooo happy with this, he's a pet freak lol :) Thanks again!