My Pet Collection
You've collected 0 pets
Log in to track your collection

Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
User avatar
Luciandk
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: February 12th, 2012
Pet Score: 3576
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Luciandk » November 18th, 2014, 9:00 am

I am opening with:

Soul of the Forge crafted by Blacksmiths.

Visually an impressive pet, using the draenor fire elemental skin. Its H/P breed, but having a very odd base stat distribution, clocking in at:
1831 hp
265 power
227 speed

At a glance it has 2 useful configurations:
The first I call the attrition fighter. Using Sulfuras Smash, Extra Plating and Reforge. Where you basically whack with the hammer until getting mid health, popping Extra plating and hitting reforge to recover. Though unlike the Emerald Proto Whelp, it has much lower power and far higher health, meaning that the heals doesnt amount for as much. But still quite a durable setup, even if damage done is lacking due to the huge damage variance on Sulfuras Smash. Should also be noted that Sulfuras Smash is quite visually underwhelming, just a fiery slash in the air as its not animated with a hammer like lil ragnaros.

The second is the offensive setup. Deep Burn, Stoneskin and Flamethrower. Which I feel wins ahead over the first one damagewise. With flamethrower active, Deep Burn will do 370 damage on each hit, which is impressive for such low power. Plus you still retain high hp, plus a decent defense with stoneskin. But overall the soul of the forge excels far better as a defensive pet as evidenced on its usefulness in the Celestial Tournament.

Overall im pretty pleased with the Soul of the Forge.
Last edited by Luciandk on December 8th, 2014, 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Liopleurodon
Site Admin
 
Posts: 110
Joined: February 27th, 2013
Pet Score: 3652
Realm: Turalyon-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Liopleurodon » November 18th, 2014, 9:23 am

I'm looking forward to this one with the 1st moveset you mentioned, just because there aren't a ton of Elemental options that are particularly sturdy. There are a few with a heal, but for the most part they tend to be glass cannons. It's kind of nice to see them adding a broader range of 'types' to each family.
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/
Image

User avatar
Kel
 
Posts: 455
Joined: March 12th, 2014
Pet Score: 4447
BattleTag®: TerribleTim#1747
Realm: Ravencrest-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Kel » November 18th, 2014, 11:27 am

I haven't been able to make him yet. Still waiting on some mats. :cry:
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

User avatar
Melfice
Top Rater
 
Posts: 77
Joined: August 11th, 2013
Pet Score: 3357
Realm: Stormrage-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Melfice » November 18th, 2014, 11:57 am

Oh I guess my DK will be my next char to start leveling! He is my Blacksmith, and I want this pet haha. The Soul of the Forge looks like a great addition to my PvP teams :)

I might end up buying him on the AH tho. Right now my Monk is my main focus, and I'm having a blast playing the new expan

User avatar
Luciandk
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: February 12th, 2012
Pet Score: 3576
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Luciandk » November 18th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Stormwing is also a pretty pleasing pet. Quills + Call Lightning will tear up most wild pets. Though ive not had much chance to use a call lightning boosted flock, as will pets dies too fast. But on a tougher beast, it will get ripped to pieces.
Though a frog using bubble will competely halt quils if first hit is blocked.

Played a bit with Ancient Nest Guardian, while neat looking its fairly unremarkable. A clear inferior model of robot. Feathered Frenzy seems fairly poor, as it does not work with Entangling Roots, due to the ability triggering a turn later. With FF only lasting one turn. But Windup + Entangling roots could do some stacked burst damage. But then you might be better off with an iron starlette.

User avatar
Luciandk
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: February 12th, 2012
Pet Score: 3576
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Luciandk » November 18th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Update for the Soul of the Forge: I had aquired an elekk plushie and just finished 2petting the current celestial tournament tamer team before turnover tomorrow for EU. The Soul of the Forge was absolutely instrumental in 2petting Shademaster Kiryn I found, after failing with several other elementals.

I had the Crawling Claw to deal with the yeti and made a good dent in the wolf. But the Soul of the Forge was sturdy enough to grind down the wolf and stormoen. Using Sulfuras Smash, Stoneskin and Reforge. Stoneskin is amazing on Stormoen to amputate the turrets, and Stormoen uses a multihit move as main attack which also suffers a hefty reduction.

User avatar
Melfice
Top Rater
 
Posts: 77
Joined: August 11th, 2013
Pet Score: 3357
Realm: Stormrage-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Melfice » November 18th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Good information and feedback, Luciandk!

Btw, have you used the Soul of the Forge in any PvP battles? If so, what team did you build around him, because I think he will be awesome in the PvP battle field! A very nice counter to all those mech types out there

User avatar
Aeolyn
 
Posts: 67
Joined: September 27th, 2013
Pet Score: 2593
Realm: Gorgonnash-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Aeolyn » November 18th, 2014, 4:35 pm

I got Servant of Demidos which looks interesting but I haven't had a chance to stone or play with it yet.

It fixes one of the core problems I have with most of the recent Magic family pets -- it looks to have no stat investment in health. If it actually does end up at 366 Power at level 25 then it has an amazing heal in the form of Siphon Anima. And if you heal yourself over the 35% health threshold with it you buy yourself an extra turn of survival against burst damage.

That's a neat trick and threatens to trump the Son of Animus at its own game.

User avatar
Luciandk
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: February 12th, 2012
Pet Score: 3576
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Luciandk » November 18th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Melfice wrote:Good information and feedback, Luciandk!

Btw, have you used the Soul of the Forge in any PvP battles? If so, what team did you build around him, because I think he will be awesome in the PvP battle field! A very nice counter to all those mech types out there


Havent done pvp in a long time, but I could imagine it would do quite well on a stall team with Sunlight to buff its innate healing prowess. I like that its quite flexible in what kind of defense to use, Stoneskin or Extra Plating. But stoneskin wins out for pve, due to the sheer amount of stampede type moves, dots and like that a shield will shut down.

User avatar
Faerael
 
Posts: 10
Joined: January 20th, 2013
Pet Score: 3683
Realm: Norgannon-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Faerael » November 19th, 2014, 6:41 am

A P/P Golden Dawnfeather is my new go to grinding pet. Sunlight for increased health pool. Then a always first heal to max health and spam quills. 10 battles so far and he has been max health after all 10 times. And he kills faster than the Feline Familiar.

User avatar
Topaz
 
Posts: 169
Joined: December 30th, 2013
Pet Score: 4045
Realm: Magtheridon-EU

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Topaz » November 19th, 2014, 5:10 pm

tried a few fights with a few fight with Eye of Observation, but even at 366 (!!!) power his attacks are extremly weak.

after ill finish lvling Ikky ill wanna check it out, he might be a good addition to my DoT group with Black Claw and Flock he can be quite dangerous. (about 550 dmg on the 2nd turn just from flock)

User avatar
Luciandk
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: February 12th, 2012
Pet Score: 3576
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Luciandk » November 19th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Topaz wrote:tried a few fights with a few fight with Eye of Observation, but even at 366 (!!!) power his attacks are extremly weak.

after ill finish lvling Ikky ill wanna check it out, he might be a good addition to my DoT group with Black Claw and Flock he can be quite dangerous. (about 550 dmg on the 2nd turn just from flock)


Does sound like the pet was done in by bad slot 1 attacks. Being a magic pet even with such low hp wont allow you to survive long enough to get off any decent amount of damage.

User avatar
Melfice
Top Rater
 
Posts: 77
Joined: August 11th, 2013
Pet Score: 3357
Realm: Stormrage-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Melfice » November 20th, 2014, 11:56 am

Luciandk wrote:
Melfice wrote:Good information and feedback, Luciandk!

Btw, have you used the Soul of the Forge in any PvP battles? If so, what team did you build around him, because I think he will be awesome in the PvP battle field! A very nice counter to all those mech types out there


Havent done pvp in a long time, but I could imagine it would do quite well on a stall team with Sunlight to buff its innate healing prowess. I like that its quite flexible in what kind of defense to use, Stoneskin or Extra Plating. But stoneskin wins out for pve, due to the sheer amount of stampede type moves, dots and like that a shield will shut down.


Man I have been spending a lot of gold on pets lately haha but it's well worth it tho (Got a Purple Puffer the other day). I got my Soul of Forge last night, it was much "cheaper" than the other 4 on the AH. Cheaper being 15K lol but once I start playing my DK...he will be making Soul of Forge's to sell. I'll get my gold back in the near future.

I plan on using my new Soul of Forge in a stall team, Luciandk. Signing Sunflower, Soul of Forge and Blossoming Ancient. I think this setup will work very well. A stall team with some damage! Can't wait to give it a try...my Soul of Forge is lv 17, and I will level him up to 25 tonight.

User avatar
Melfice
Top Rater
 
Posts: 77
Joined: August 11th, 2013
Pet Score: 3357
Realm: Stormrage-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Melfice » November 20th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Aeolyn wrote:I got Servant of Demidos which looks interesting but I haven't had a chance to stone or play with it yet.

It fixes one of the core problems I have with most of the recent Magic family pets -- it looks to have no stat investment in health. If it actually does end up at 366 Power at level 25 then it has an amazing heal in the form of Siphon Anima. And if you heal yourself over the 35% health threshold with it you buy yourself an extra turn of survival against burst damage.

That's a neat trick and threatens to trump the Son of Animus at its own game.


His attack is 366 at lv 25 and this pet should own in PvP! Yes, his health is low, but the damage output is high. I have a new team in mind for Servant of Demidos. Yu'la, Grommloc and Servant of Demidos. Yu'la will be the setup pet with Celestial Blessing to help protect Servant of Demidos, and Grommloc. You will have a lot of damage to deal with, and Jadefire Lightning will add more pressure during swaps.

I hope the Servant of Demidos can be caged! I want to buy mine tonight haha I can't wait to give my comp a try

User avatar
Awq
 
Posts: 218
Joined: June 25th, 2013
Pet Score: 0
Realm: Shattered Halls-EU

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Awq » November 20th, 2014, 1:57 pm

The Royal Peacock will be the Blighthawks best friend!

I do like Frostfur Rat, even though it isn't great.

User avatar
Melfice
Top Rater
 
Posts: 77
Joined: August 11th, 2013
Pet Score: 3357
Realm: Stormrage-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Melfice » November 21st, 2014, 1:45 pm

Servant of Demido was on sale on the AH, but it was way too much for me. I have been spending a lot of gold, and I'm low on gold atm. So, I don't think I'll have the Servant of Demido anytime soon

User avatar
Luciandk
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: February 12th, 2012
Pet Score: 3576
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Luciandk » November 21st, 2014, 4:31 pm

Aquired a Hatespark the Tiny for 5k, as after finding the new lfr Molten core to be soulcrushing. According to wowhead the dropchance is a mere 10% for the pet, and 3% for the enchant illusion. Yup, that was 5k well given out, and I can live without that illusion.


I leveled him up fast, a P/B pet. Hatespark packs a decent wallop with Flamethrower, Conflagrate and Deep Burn. But theres really nothing else to the pet, quite predictable due to the 2 turn flamethrower. But you could possibly have some mindgames in pvp for when you cast Conflagrate, using it on turn 2 or 3.

The other set doesnt feel as good. Blast of Hatred, that is strong against flyers, looses a lot of power when bringing them sub 50%, as they loose their speedbuff and you may often end up as the faster pet. Amputating the damage from BoH.

And if you go with Cauterize, you sacrifice your high damage skill. Only left with a deep burn, that only does slightly more damage, than deep burn from Soul of the Forge. Which have far more defensive ability, as well a far better alternative power in Sulfuras smash.

Finally armageddon mainly seems to have been chosen for thematic reasons, it will be hard to get off due to not being a mechanical. Plus it does still use the old aoe formula with fixed damage, and loosing potency if enemy pets have been downed.

Overall I would say Hatespark is inferior to Soul of the Forge.

User avatar
Icewolf
 
Posts: 21
Joined: September 21st, 2008
Pet Score: 3538
Realm: Scarshield Legion-EU

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Icewolf » November 21st, 2014, 4:50 pm

You got a hatespark for 5k? Sounds like a really good deal to me. I just paid 35k for one so hope I haven't overspent, but am only level 98 and am a bit concerned that after the initial rush no one will want to do MC anymore as I hear it's not s nice place to go and with no loot drops as such, it doesn't sound like somewhere for repeat runs

Hate this rush to 100', I wanted to take my time

All other draenor seem mostly not too bad to get. I can wait to make the crafted ones via garrisons

User avatar
Baldulf
MVP
 
Posts: 43
Joined: March 14th, 2010
Pet Score: 4785
Realm: Suramar-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Baldulf » November 21st, 2014, 5:55 pm

Luciandk wrote:Update for the Soul of the Forge: I had aquired an elekk plushie and just finished 2petting the current celestial tournament tamer team before turnover tomorrow for EU. The Soul of the Forge was absolutely instrumental in 2petting Shademaster Kiryn I found, after failing with several other elementals.

I had the Crawling Claw to deal with the yeti and made a good dent in the wolf. But the Soul of the Forge was sturdy enough to grind down the wolf and stormoen. Using Sulfuras Smash, Stoneskin and Reforge. Stoneskin is amazing on Stormoen to amputate the turrets, and Stormoen uses a multihit move as main attack which also suffers a hefty reduction.


Delayed response, I know, but I just wanted to let you know that this strat worked PERFECTLY, Luciandk. I highly recommend it to anyone else.

User avatar
Melfice
Top Rater
 
Posts: 77
Joined: August 11th, 2013
Pet Score: 3357
Realm: Stormrage-US

Re: Lets discuss the Draenor pets

Postby Melfice » November 21st, 2014, 6:06 pm

I don't have one yet, but I faced the Junglebeak in PvP battles last night. Its going to be tough with Rain Dance, and being able to attack first. Nocturnal Strike hurts a lot, and the pet does not even need to be on a clonedance team to do well.

The Junglebeak will be on my teams that's for sure. Once I get the pet, I'll test it out and see how well it goes for me

Next

Return to Pet Battles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Paladance and 3 guests