Sporeling Sprout PvP breeds, I need more info.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu
Sporeling Sprout PvP breeds, I need more info.

Post by Awq » November 12th, 2014, 1:36 pm

I love the Sporeggar faction, and everything Sporeggar related. Owning my own Sporeling Sprout was one of the main reasons why I actually started pet battles in the first place.

It has been one of my favorite pets. It has not been a successful pet, but I tried to make this pet work in every patch. I would say that this is a reasonable mid-tier pet for pet PvP.
I've have owned a rare S/B, H/B, P/P, H/H and S/S at level 25.

People recommend S/S & P/P, I've seen this in multiple threads. I do agree that the pure breeds are better for this pet. I however find S/S the weakest of the three pure breeds. I am pretty sure that I am doing something wrong.

So my questions for you:
In which team do you use the S/S Sprout?
Which move-set do you use?
Which match-ups do you look for?
What are the advantages of S/S over P/P and H/H.

Melfice
Top Rater
Pet Score:3357
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: Sporeling Sprout PvP breeds, I need more info.

Post by Melfice » November 12th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Sporeling Sprout (P/P) or (S/S)

Thinking of moonlight teams....Sporeling Sprout is a great addition to the team! He can Jab/Charge, Creeping Fungus and Crouch to do some damage, and takes some hits (might want to use a S/S for a bonus to Crouch). You can go full defense with Jab/Charge, Leech Seed, and Crouch if need be. And the final option is all out damage with Jab/Charge, Creeping Fungus and Spore Shrooms. Also Charge is a good choice for more speed on the P/P breed.

I have been using Jab (going to try Charge soon too), Creeping Fungus and Crouch as my first choice, and I really like It so far. The Sporeling Sprout is a very durable battle pet, and I really enjoying my Moonlight teams with him on them.
This is what I posted yesterday in the overlooked pets thread. I like the P/P breed myself. I use Jab (or charge if you want to attack first), Creeping Fungus and Crouch. I have only started to PvP with the Sporeling Sprout on my Moonlight team. But he is a good member, and I have won the matches where he was on the team.

I can see the H/H breed being very nice if you want a delay/tank Sporeling Sprout. He can use Charge/Jab, Leech Seed and Crouch. Hmm thinking of this, I might get a H/H tonight and give it a try! I like the idea of having more options...even tho my P/P tends to last a good amount already.

The setup I have been using for the Moonlight team is: Celestial Dragon, Xu-Fu and Sporeling Sprout. The Celestial Dragon will start the battle most times, and setup Moonlight and the DoT. If things are going well, I might keep her in the battle for a bit (if the other team has weather moves to cancel Moonlight). Xu-Fu is my damage dealer, and I use his Spirit Claw, Feed and Prowl moves. Sometimes, I will use the Vengeance move, because sometimes you won't have extra time for Prowl setups.

My Sporeling Sprout will be my clean up pet most times, and I try to refresh Moonlight so the Sporeling Sprout can do more damage with Creeping Fungus. I use Crouch, so his damage is more limited because of it. But I like being able to take hits, and finish off the other mess that's left over.

Xu-Fu does a lot of damage, and his heal owns but I wish I could have Moonlight on him tho. That would help with teams that change the weather a lot. Thinking of, I'm going to try to see how Moon Moon works in Xu-Fu's place. That will give me more options for Moonlight refreshes. But right now, I love these two setups for my Moonlight teams.

Moonlight team #1: Celestial Dragon, Xu-Fu and Infected Squirrel
Moonlight team #2: Celestial Dragon, Xu-Fu and Sporeling Sprout

New ideas for more Moonlight teams:

1. Nether Faerie Dragon, Moon Moon, and Sporeling Sprout H/H
2. Nether Faerie Dragon, Xu-Fu and Sporeling Sprout P/P
3. Nether Faerie Dragon, Moon Moon, and Sporeling Sprout/Infected Squirrel

Also, I'm going to try and see if the Moonkin Hatchling can be a good addition to a Moonlight team. Setup Moonlight, stun and then switch out. Or even use Entangling Roots before the switch. The move does good damage and roots the pet. Hmm I'm going to test out my Moonlight teams, and ideas this weekend!

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » November 12th, 2014, 5:31 pm

For the S/S breed you want to run Jab, Leech Seed, and Crouch. Since he goes first, this is actually a tanky type build (extra crouch round and early heal). It does take some practice to get used to.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Melfice
Top Rater

Post by Melfice » November 12th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Thanks for the tip, and that does make sense for a tanky type setup for Sporeling Sprout. Right now, I like my P/P breed but I can see S/S being very helpful too.

I'll need to catch one of the S/S, and compare how well it does to my P/P. My Celestial Dragon does well taking hits, so I rather have more DPS with my clean up pet.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » November 13th, 2014, 4:37 pm

I used to have pretty good success with S/S Sporeling Sprout, Infected Squirrel and S/S Nether Faire Dragon. But that was quite some time ago.

I mainly liked the S/S because of making sure to get crouch up for 4 turns. But I guess now it will hit even weaker with 260 power Jab hitting low.

Before patch I tried the H/H breed with Creeping Fungus and Spore Shrooms, to be used as a kind of Idol/Imp. Huge healthpool makes for good human racial healing and with the two dots lasting about 5 turns. It didn't work for me so I can't recommend it, but others might get it to work.

After the failed H/H experiment I started thinking more and more about the other non-pure breeds. I can actually see a few of these breeds working decently. Would have been nice to get some speed and more health but I want to avoid being stuck with 260 power, then I could just run the S/S. Perhaps the S/P breed could work. But it always pains me a bit to remove a stoned and leveled to 25 pet, so since I have 3 already I have not tested this yet(actually same issue with Qiraji Gaurdling).

Awq

Post by Awq » November 14th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Thank you all for your posts.
My Sporeling Sprout will be my clean up pet most times, and I try to refresh Moonlight so the Sporeling Sprout can do more damage with Creeping Fungus. I use Crouch, so his damage is more limited because of it. But I like being able to take hits, and finish off the other mess that's left over.
Thank you.
I might try the S/S Sprout again as an effective clean up. I do prefer P/P as the most effective general build.
I do agree that the P/P is amazing! It feel that it is the most reliable Sprout out there.
New ideas for more Moonlight teams:
I quite like my Cursed Birman, Sporeling Sprout H/H, Nether Faerie Dragon S/S.
Cursed Birman is a great addition to any Moonlight team.

I've used Unborn Val'Kyr, Sporeling Sprout, Nether Faerie Dragon to some extent as well. The Sporeling Sprout is weak against back-row damage, since all the damage reduction of this team is passive. It is an okay team, but I prefer a Cursed Birman instead of the Unborn Val'Kyr.
For the S/S breed you want to run Jab, Leech Seed, and Crouch. Since he goes first, this is actually a tanky type build (extra crouch round and early heal). It does take some practice to get used to.
I'll practice some more!
I mainly liked the S/S because of making sure to get crouch up for 4 turns. But I guess now it will hit even weaker with 260 power Jab hitting low.
I like the H/H for multiple reasons.
It has 300 additional health. The additional health scales okay with the humanoid racial. One has to use 2 crouches for S/S to become more durable (or be attacked for 600+ on this first turn), assuming that the opponent has 260-325 speed. The H/H is always better against slower pets. S/S however has the advantage of attacking first, which compensates for a lot.
I might misplay my S/S, since my H/H seems to survive longer.
After the failed H/H experiment I started thinking more and more about the other non-pure breeds. I can actually see a few of these breeds working decently. Would have been nice to get some speed and more health but I want to avoid being stuck with 260 power, then I could just run the S/S. Perhaps the S/P breed could work. But it always pains me a bit to remove a stoned and leveled to 25 pet, so since I have 3 already I have not tested this yet(actually same issue with Qiraji Gaurdling).
P/S interests me. That's probably the reason why I made this thread. I am tempted to release my S/S and try a P/S. It would sadden me to release a level 25 S/S pet, especially since people consider it to be one of the better breeds (and S/S might be useful on a trainer at some point).

I really like to use Charge / Creeping Fungus / Crouch on the H/H. I do sacrifice quite a lot of damage, but this gives you the edge against opponents who are faster than the NFD. It can be an effective meta counter, and it creates protection against weaknesses that a team could have. I would say that this is my favorite Sprout setup (if the weather is Moonlight, else I use Leech Seed).
Charge is stronger on a H/H compared to the other breeds.

I do sometimes use Jab / Leech Seed / Crouch. I also use Charge / Leech Seed / Crouch.
Before patch I tried the H/H breed with Creeping Fungus and Spore Shrooms, to be used as a kind of Idol/Imp. Huge healthpool makes for good human racial healing and with the two dots lasting about 5 turns. It didn't work for me so I can't recommend it, but others might get it to work.
Crouch is better survival, in my opinion. You can still use Creeping Fungus to swap out, and heal in the back-row. The additional healing from Spore Shrooms is not worth it.

Melfice
Top Rater

Post by Melfice » November 14th, 2014, 5:34 pm

I quite like my Cursed Birman, Sporeling Sprout H/H, Nether Faerie Dragon S/S.
Cursed Birman is a great addition to any Moonlight team.
yeah I have been thinking about Cursed Birman for the last few days!!! I WAS planning on leveling him up for the weekend haha but I can't play WoW because of all the issues :(

I really hope tomorrow is better, and I can add Cursed Birman to my Moonlight teams. I agree he looks like a great addition indeed. I'm still going to test using a Moonkin too!

Oh for your Nether Faerie Dragon, you use S/S and how does that go btw? Mine is P/P and I love it haha

Awq

Post by Awq » November 14th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Oh for your Nether Faerie Dragon, you use S/S and how does that go btw? Mine is P/P and I love it haha
I have the P/P and S/S breeds. They are both nice. They have their own strengths and weaknesses.

The power breed hits like a truck. The power makes the dragonkin buff even more lethal. It is a nice offensive pet. I prefer Life Exchange, although it can work with Dodge.

The reason why I use S/S is because Dodge scales well with speed. You use Dodge to have a 2 round avoidance.
This has quite some use in battles. You can Dodge > Moonfire > Switch Birman when you are faster. This allows you to set the weather without being hit.
S/S NFD is still a strong pet by itself. It no longer is a powerhouse like the P/P, it can still win individual match-up (through gaining a round with the avoidance). I like having avoidance on a team.

The Val'Kyr team that I posted needs S/S NFD for additional synergy.
I am sure that P/P NFD & P/P Sporeling Sprout could work in the Birman team.

I would use 2-2-2 as the move-set for the Cursed Birman regardless of breed of NFD.
I would use 1-1-2 as the move-set for the H/H Sporeling Sprout with a P/P NFD (instead of 2-1-2).
I would use 1-1-2 as the move-set with a P/P or S/S Sprout regardless of breed of NFD.

Awq

Post by Awq » November 18th, 2014, 1:45 pm

I found out why S/S was not working for me.
I always used a S/S NFD as Moonlight setter. Both pets rely on speed, while having the same speed.

S/S Sprout works better when I pair it with a P/P MoonMoon, Slower NFD or Celestial Dragon.

Melfice
Top Rater

Post by Melfice » November 18th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Thanks for the info. I have been using P/P Sprout, Celestial Dragon, and Xu-Fu myself. I'm going to try using Moon Moon (P/P) in place of Xu-Fu sometimes. Just to change things up, but Xu-Fu is a very good pet to use in a Moonlight team

Since the expan has been out, I have not had a chance to really PvP with my pets. I want to test some Moonlight setups some more, and mess around having fun. But It's tough when I'm having a blasting leveling up now haha

This is a setup I listed here, and I still want to try:

1. Moonkin - to setup Moonlight and stuns/or roots. Can be used to counter Dragonkins
2. Celestial Dragon - for support/tanking
3. Xu-Fu - For damage

And

1. Moon Moon P/P - Damage/backup Moonlight
2. NFD P/P - Setup Moonlight/Damage/Stalling
3. Sporeling Sprout P/P - Tank/Stalling

I can also use the Infected Squirrel in place of the Sporeling Sprout. It will be interesting to see if these setups will work well or not.

Oh I need to get a P/P Moon Moon tho. I have a S/S at max level now, and he will be used to test things out with Crouch. But I rather have the pure damage Moon Moon instead. It will be fun having both breeds for battle tho :)