question about decoy and power leveling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Arrianya
Pet Score:2314
Realm:Moonglade-eu
question about decoy and power leveling

Post by Arrianya » November 4th, 2014, 9:02 am

Hi all
I have a question about the decoy ....Picture this scenario
1: My mechanical dragonling places a decoy
2: A decoy is hit
3: Swap in lvl 1
4: Decoy is hit 2nd time
5: Swap out lvl 1
6 : Kill enemy with lvl 25 pet

In this scenario my level 1 pet does not attack itself ,neither is it hit but it is attacked but does this mean that my lvl 1 has been active in combat and will get the xp OR must your lvl one attack to be active and get the xp ?

I hope you guys can help me clarify this
Thankyou :D

PS If the above does not work would you guys then recommend the slower darkmoon Zep to use decoy with ?

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: question about decoy and power leveling

Post by Luciandk » November 4th, 2014, 9:37 am

People generally use Sandstorm to protect lowbies with the shield.

Though I usually bring lvl 1s to Aki the Chosen or Courageous Yon. Neither of their first pets does enough damage to KO a level 1 with their first hit, except in the case where the pet is weak to their damage type.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » November 4th, 2014, 9:46 am

Decoy etc will work like you thought and your pet will get xp without doing anything. The only situation where a pet won't get any xp is if you start with it and swap it away on the first turn, if it dies, or if you don't swap it in at all.

Edit. In theory it would be better if you had a slow opened with Decoy, so that it's almost certain that Decoy won't be destroyed in the first turn by multiple hit attacks. But, in practice, if you go out into the wild, low quality pets are usually quite slow anyways.

It's a nice way to ding a long list of lvl 1 pets quite fast (just one battle/each) when combined with a pet that destroys the wild pet team. :)

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » November 4th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Arrianya wrote:In this scenario my level 1 pet does not attack itself ,neither is it hit but it is attacked but does this mean that my lvl 1 has been active in combat and will get the xp OR must your lvl one attack to be active and get the xp ?
Your lowbie pet merely needs to be in a full round of combat to qualify for leveling experience. So yes your set up would work fine.
Iibis wrote:The only situation where a pet won't get any xp is if you start with it and swap it away on the first turn, if it dies, or if you don't swap it in at all.
Yeah I've made the mistake of swapping my lowbie out on first turn without keeping it in that one round, then swapping out.

The other interesting thing you can try, if you can time things just right, is to NOT swap in the lowbie and have the two carry pets dead as the battle ends (i.e. against the Pandaren Water Spirit, both my carry pets usually end up dead at the end of the last round due to Whirlpool/Geyser). The lowbie pet will still gain experience as it's the only one alive.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » November 4th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Arrianya wrote:I have a question about the decoy ....Picture this scenario
1: My mechanical dragonling places a decoy
2: A decoy is hit
3: Swap in lvl 1
4: Decoy is hit 2nd time
5: Swap out lvl 1
6 : Kill enemy with lvl 25 pet
This is exactly what I do except I use Zeppalin (so minus #2 on the list). So even if the opponent hits with a multiple attack, 2 are blocked and some will survive anyway. So on a lvl 25 battle, my lvl 1 dings 6 right off the bat. :mrgreen:

Gardenvariety
Pet Score:2958
Realm:Burning Legion-us

Post by Gardenvariety » November 4th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Yes this would work. Another easy way to lvl pets from lvl 1 is doing the fights against trainers when none of their pets do any AoE/backline damage. Just plan the fight so your first pet dies, then on the death round you choose your lvl 1 carry pet, then before your lvl 1 can even take any damage you swap to your 3rd pet. The lvl 1 in that scenario was never in a situation where it could be damaged, but it will still get the xp.

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » November 4th, 2014, 6:53 pm

My general strategy is to level all pets to about 5 in a lower area (IE somewhere you're battling pets of about level 10ish),normally one quick battle is enough to get them to 5, maybe two battles. Generally, after pets are at level 5, they can survive one round against nearly any level 25 (unless it's their direct counter), so I have them in first, take one hit, then swap out for my 2 level 25s batting clean up.

I find I can level a dozen level 1s to level 5 in hardly any time at all.

Goldenbelmont
Pet Score:2314
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Goldenbelmont » November 6th, 2014, 3:58 am

I use one of my several Exploders to take the lvl 1's out of OHK range. usually beat them up until i'm either on last pet or mine is about to die, then explode, bring in lvl 1, then swap to a closer. with my 5 exploders i can rotate through and be able to revive after 5th fight.

Aalea
Top Rater

Post by Aalea » November 6th, 2014, 6:13 pm

If you are lucky enough to have the spectral porcupette it has a move called Illusionary Barrier, similar to the barrier No-No puts up when you fight her. I use this to swap my low level pet in and out. Which counts as a turn. If you can get hold of one of these its a good way to level pets when doing your daily tamers.