one-shot wonder (fluxfire feline)

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jazzism
Re: one-shot wonder (fluxfire feline)

Post by Jazzism » December 7th, 2012, 9:17 am

I've faced one at lvl 25 and it didn't give me much trouble. Ony Whelp does a number on it.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 7th, 2012, 10:30 am

Jazzism wrote:I've faced one at lvl 25 and it didn't give me much trouble. Ony Whelp does a number on it.
Yeah the Fluxfire Feline is aboslutely awesome, but sadly he is quite easily counterable. As long as you know what to expect and have a pet that has some dodging abilities or something similar, it's easy to avoid the big hit. He doesn't have THAT much health either so an elemental can take him down pretty quick. Still love him to bits though :lol:

I particularly love him for farming battle stones, taking down a team of 25 beasts in 6 rounds is quite efficient.

Mrsimon
Realm:Shadow Council-us

Post by Mrsimon » December 7th, 2012, 11:17 am

After reading this thread I took some time to farm up a blue Fluxfire Feline. Its so freaking awesome!!!

I jumped into a couple quick battles against the level 1 beasts in Dun Moragh and was blown away at the damage the Feline was putting out against those beasts. I was getting numbers from a level 3 Feline that I don't get from pets in the mid teens.

Is it overpowered? Absolutely. Will it get nerfed? Most likely.

But in the mean time, I'm gonna have a blast with it.

And when it does get nerfed, I won't complain .... I'll be thankful for the time I had with my super nuker kitty cat.

Aerisweet
Pet Score:4126
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Aerisweet » December 7th, 2012, 12:05 pm

I will definitely be going after this kitty when I get off work, it sounds like a lot of fun. I was there around the gnome starting area around a couple weeks ago and didn't see anything like this at all. Did they just add this kitty?

-Aeri

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » December 7th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Aerisweet wrote:I will definitely be going after this kitty when I get off work, it sounds like a lot of fun. I was there around the gnome starting area around a couple weeks ago and didn't see anything like this at all. Did they just add this kitty?

-Aeri
Yes, he's new in 5.1, but the spawns aren't super common so they might also have been used up when you checked.
Jazzism wrote:I've faced one at lvl 25 and it didn't give me much trouble. Ony Whelp does a number on it.
No offense, but this isn't very credible. Ony Whelp is always slower than a fluxfire, so Lift-Off should never dodge the Wind-Up. It's also impossible for an Ony Whelp to kill a fluxfire in 2 turns. Either there was luck on your side or the Fluxfire player did something wrong.
Zaelo wrote:Yeah the Fluxfire Feline is aboslutely awesome, but sadly he is quite easily counterable. As long as you know what to expect and have a pet that has some dodging abilities or something similar, it's easy to avoid the big hit. He doesn't have THAT much health either so an elemental can take him down pretty quick. Still love him to bits though :lol:

I particularly love him for farming battle stones, taking down a team of 25 beasts in 6 rounds is quite efficient.
I think we expect him to be easily counterable, since he's got such low health and elementals are so strong against mechs. But have you seen this scenario play out ingame? An elemental can definitely take him down quickly, but the Fluxfire actually deals back enough damage to also take the elemental down quickly, and he has a rez that almost always gives him an extra turn on top of this. So for example you'd think a Fel Flame would kill a fluxfire easily: but what happens is that the Fel Flame kills the Fluxfire with immo/conflag, then the Fluxfire gets back up and Wind-Ups the fel flame for ~1300. Or, the fluxfire could choose to do Pounce, Supercharge, Pounce, which is 1450 dmg and leaves the Fel Flame with less than 200 health. So, yes, this is a counter, but it's not as easy as it should be, considering how badly the fluxfire wrecks most other pets.

Also, it's actually not easy to dodge the Wind-Up, given the Fluxfire's speed. If you do avoid it, the Fluxfire still retains the Supercharge buff and can just use it again next turn. This is what I meant when I said that the presumptive counters don't actually work, which is generally a good indication that it's too strong.

Darkke
Top Rater
Pet Score:7826
Realm:Daggerspine-us

Post by Darkke » December 7th, 2012, 3:12 pm

I would think that [pet]Lil' Ragnoros[/pet] would be a pretty good hard counter.

Full disclosure: My raggie is neither lvl 25, nor have I been matched up against one of these little beasties.

But I would think that setting Magma Trap would be very useful with it's stun. Mind you, the randomness of the proc is a downside. The real shiner would be his Sons of Ragnoros. It works the same as Sons of Root on Farmer Nishi's Turnip. Submerge for 3 rounds, 2 little dudes attack per turn for about (educated guess) 225 damage against the Demon KittyBot.

Just something to think about, 1 turn of elemental damage followed by 3 turns of damage inflicted while immune. Probably still not enough to escape untarnished, but....

Darkke
Top Rater
Pet Score:7826
Realm:Daggerspine-us

Post by Darkke » December 7th, 2012, 3:25 pm

One additional thought for my sadistically minded compatriots.

This kitty needs to be a trainer pet of legendary quality. Maybe one of those "boss level" wild pets. Think of the level of difficulty! this would be the equivalent of "hard modes" implemented for raiders but implemented for pet battles! An achievement would definitely be necessary for such an accomplishment.

Cheeser
Pet Score:1464
Realm:Talnivarr-eu

Post by Cheeser » December 7th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Managed to kill it with pandaren earth spirit with stunn, procc stunn and stone rush twice...

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 7th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Poofah wrote:I think we expect him to be easily counterable, since he's got such low health and elementals are so strong against mechs. But have you seen this scenario play out ingame? An elemental can definitely take him down quickly, but the Fluxfire actually deals back enough damage to also take the elemental down quickly, and he has a rez that almost always gives him an extra turn on top of this. So for example you'd think a Fel Flame would kill a fluxfire easily: but what happens is that the Fel Flame kills the Fluxfire with immo/conflag, then the Fluxfire gets back up and Wind-Ups the fel flame for ~1300. Or, the fluxfire could choose to do Pounce, Supercharge, Pounce, which is 1450 dmg and leaves the Fel Flame with less than 200 health. So, yes, this is a counter, but it's not as easy as it should be, considering how badly the fluxfire wrecks most other pets.
Oooh dude, you don't need to sell me this kitty, I already aboslutely adore mine!!! Hehehe
I'm just saying that he's more easily counterable than most pets, since he depends a lot on rare hits and timing. Usually it's easy to wait for the right round to make your one-shot kill hit, but between you and me, let's admit that it happens that we did a mistake and either badly timed our attack or sometimes you jsut simply miss and need 5 rounds instead of 3 to take down the enemy pet. Against Fel Flame, one miss = death.

But I've killed a Fel Flame with the Fluxfire Kitten in PvP battle more than once, you usually have time to one-shot the Fel Flame before your kitty actually dies (passed the first death that you get rezed from). And if I had to counter a Fluxfire Feline, I wouldn't use Fel Flame either. I would use something like one of the Pandaren Spirit (Water for Dive, or Earth for the stuns maybe), or an Enchanted Lantern or Magic Lamp, with some dodge and Magic passive. Actually maybe even a pet that casts Darkness or Blinds him, increasing miss chance on this pet is pretty painful hehe. Anywho, they'd stand a much better chance than any Fel Flame heheh.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » December 7th, 2012, 10:47 pm

It seems like the easiest way to counter a one-hit kill is with any Magical pet that can only take a 40% hit.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » December 8th, 2012, 1:50 am

I think magic pets are the best able to handle the fluxfire, yes -- sadly magic damage is weak against mechanicals though, so the fluxfire can probably just outlast the magic pet and pounce it to death. The Lanterns are magic pets with an elemental attack, so on paper that sounds pretty ideal. They have poor stats though (all breed 3): Lanterns deal 444 damage to fluxfire using Burn; fluxfire deals 390 damage with Pounce. If they just trade attacks, the fluxfire eventually dies, rezzes, and kills the lantern on turn 4. The lantern could try Flash and hope to get lucky with misses. But again, you can go out of your way to find a counter to the fluxfire (that is extremely weak against the field at large), and it's still just barely a counter.