PetBattleTeams addon and tomorrow's launch

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kahlan
Pet Score:7594
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
Re: PetBattleTeams addon and tomorrow's launch

Post by Kahlan » October 21st, 2014, 3:13 am

First off, Rematch is a good add on, it has functionalities beyond PBT, the heavy search is wonderfull, love the levelling queue and simply adore the function of making groups of teams.

HOWEVER!
Poofah said it most eloquently (emphasis mine):

[quote="Poofah"} Simplicity. PBT is seamless, it acts as an extension of your normal pet journal. You don't have to open a separate addon, you don't have to click 'save' all the time. Rematch has more features, but I'm happier to manage these myself anyway. In return, you have to click around a lot more. The only essential function for me is archiving teams, and PBT accomplishes this with no clicking at all, it's just drag-and-drop.[/quote]

Together with PetJournal Enhanced by the same author and Pettracker, I'm all set for my collecting and levelling.

Vandole
Pet Score:3815
Realm:Runetotem-eu

Post by Vandole » October 21st, 2014, 5:07 pm

How do you transfer your saved teams from PetBattle Teams to Rematch?

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 21st, 2014, 6:58 pm

Vandole wrote:How do you transfer your saved teams from PetBattle Teams to Rematch?
Have PBT enabled and Rematch enabled. Go to the Rematch options menu (the gear button on the addon). In the options menu should be a button to import the PBT teams. It will only be there if PBT is enabled. PBT doesn't have to work, it just has to load into memory.

As a side note, this isn't a transfer (which would imply you lose them in PBT) but a copy of all your teams. You keep the teams in both addons using this method.
Kahlan wrote:First off, Rematch is a good add on, it has functionalities beyond PBT, the heavy search is wonderfull, love the levelling queue and simply adore the function of making groups of teams.

HOWEVER!
Poofah said it most eloquently (emphasis mine):
Poofah wrote: Simplicity. PBT is seamless, it acts as an extension of your normal pet journal. You don't have to open a separate addon, you don't have to click 'save' all the time. Rematch has more features, but I'm happier to manage these myself anyway. In return, you have to click around a lot more. The only essential function for me is archiving teams, and PBT accomplishes this with no clicking at all, it's just drag-and-drop.
Together with PetJournal Enhanced by the same author and Pettracker, I'm all set for my collecting and levelling.
I'll be honest, my experience with PBT wasn't quite that way. In PBT I had to unlock a team, drag the new pet in, redo my abilities (they always seemed to reset on me when I dragged a new pet into the team), and the lock the team again. In comparison on Rematch I have to drag the pets into the team, Hit save to bring up the popup and save again to confirm. It wasn't much difference for me except for Rematch felt less buggy to me. The only difference is if it was a brand new team, I had to either type in a name (just like in PBT) or I could just target the tamer and it would prefill the name for me. I feel like PBT is more cumbersome in the team making department.

That said, I do agree that PBT has a more seamless feel with the journal and it has larger font which I like. I feel this is one of PBT's biggest strengths and is one of the features I missed for a long while. However, and this took me a while to get to, I no longer even use the journal. I bound Rematch to a button and I use that instead of the journal (useful if you want both the AH up and your list of pets at the same time).

I think the author was intentionally not being associated with the journal because a) People were using other addons that interfaced with the journal and he didn't want to interfere with that and b) the search feature he implemented is forbidden by the in game API so both couldn't be up and operate at the same time anyways.

I can definitely see how all the extra options can be overwhelming though. It's a lot of stuff if you just need pet teams. I found the options invaluable (The levelling queue and the search feature), but not everyone needs those. However, even when I was on Beta trying out new teams, I was plugging in searches like "level=25 speed>300 health>1400 dodge" and similar trying to find the right pet combinations to battle the tamers.

EDIT: That said, if you want to use PBT for the teams and still want Rematch's search, you can run both at the same time and they don't interfere.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Poofah
Pet Score:4206

Post by Poofah » October 22nd, 2014, 12:41 am

Jerebear wrote:In PBT I had to unlock a team, drag the new pet in, redo my abilities (they always seemed to reset on me when I dragged a new pet into the team), and the lock the team again.
If you right click PBT's menu icon, there's a 'automatically save teams' option, 2nd from bottom.

Aeonesti
MVP
Pet Score:5120
BattleTag®:Ducky#1198
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Aeonesti » October 22nd, 2014, 10:49 am

Wolfson wrote:Since the patch, I've been using Rematch instead of my usual Pet Battle Teams, and I just keep thinking that if someone could combine the best features of both, it would be the ultimate pet mod. I love Rematch's feature that allows you to set teams for npc tamers and then automatically switch to those teams on mouseover. I love the more organized team section that allows you to save teams under different subgroups, and I like having the levelling queue (though some more detailed controls for it would be nice). But I don't like how Rematch basically tries to replace the default pet screen (to the point of locking out your search function in the default window when Rematch's Pet tab is up) rather than working as an addition to it like Pet Battle Teams does. I also prefer Pet Battle Teams' larger icons and font sizes.

Like I said, if someone could combine the convenient extra features of Rematch with the superior interface of Pet Battle Teams, that would be the pet mod to end all pet mods.
I agree 100% Wolfson. I don't like the extra screen, i LOVE the auto teamloads, it's rare i need to search for specific speeds/abilities and I can do that from wowhead or warcraftpets, but again, i love the leveling queue. I just need these two addons to GET TOGETHER AND MAKE A LOVE BABY!
~Aeonesti - Goblin Priest - Peons No More - Icecrown/Malygos~

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 22nd, 2014, 5:43 pm

Poofah wrote:
Jerebear wrote:In PBT I had to unlock a team, drag the new pet in, redo my abilities (they always seemed to reset on me when I dragged a new pet into the team), and the lock the team again.
If you right click PBT's menu icon, there's a 'automatically save teams' option, 2nd from bottom.
Good to know! I never saw that option. However, that would lead to problems for me when I swap a pet out. Say my tonk is dead so I bring in menagerie custodian to take its place because I don't want to use a heal until after the battle. I would change up my saved team, which isn't a huge issue but extra time I need to spend. With the lock/unlock of PBT and the save button of Rematch that isn't an issue for me. I can switch the pet out but not lose the team data.

I see what you are getting at though. I could see that as a good option to suggest to the Rematch author. I still think the lack of journal integration would stop most though. For me it's not a big deal because I use the Rematch Journal instead, but that's not necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » October 23rd, 2014, 8:02 am

Jerebear wrote:Good to know! I never saw that option. However, that would lead to problems for me when I swap a pet out. Say my tonk is dead so I bring in menagerie custodian to take its place because I don't want to use a heal until after the battle. I would change up my saved team, which isn't a huge issue but extra time I need to spend. With the lock/unlock of PBT and the save button of Rematch that isn't an issue for me. I can switch the pet out but not lose the team data.
Lock trumps auto save.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 23rd, 2014, 4:23 pm

Kring wrote:Lock trumps auto save.
How does that work then? If locked, how does the auto save determine when/when not to save? I would have assumed you would have to unlock in order for auto save to work (note that I didn't know the auto save feature existed, so just an assumption).

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » October 24th, 2014, 4:00 am

Jerebear wrote:
Kring wrote:Lock trumps auto save.
How does that work then? If locked, how does the auto save determine when/when not to save? I would have assumed you would have to unlock in order for auto save to work (note that I didn't know the auto save feature existed, so just an assumption).
  • Auto save is enabled (global option).
  • You create a new team, which is by default not locked. You add pets and change abilities, whenever you change something the team is immediately saved.
  • After you're satisfied wit your team you lock it.
Now you can switch pets and abilities in the team (e.g. replace a pet that died in the tournament) as much as you like, your changes won't be saved (because the team is locked). Whenever you load the team again, the locked version is loaded.

To update a team you have to first unlock it, then load it, then change it, then lock it again.

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » October 24th, 2014, 4:33 am

I love Pet Battle Teams, best addon of its kind in my opinion. Thanks so much for the updated download [profile]Agramonia[/profile] <3

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 24th, 2014, 7:22 am

Kring wrote:
  • Auto save is enabled (global option).
  • You create a new team, which is by default not locked. You add pets and change abilities, whenever you change something the team is immediately saved.
  • After you're satisfied wit your team you lock it.
Now you can switch pets and abilities in the team (e.g. replace a pet that died in the tournament) as much as you like, your changes won't be saved (because the team is locked). Whenever you load the team again, the locked version is loaded.

To update a team you have to first unlock it, then load it, then change it, then lock it again.
Yep, see a few of my posts above the one you quoted. I was aware of that particular sequence. We were discussing a different one. The discussion was on saving teams PBT vs Rematch. The Lock/Unlock method (two actions) is similar in number of actions to the Rematch method which involves two button clicks when dealing with existing teams, and when creating new teams rematch only takes one button click which aligns with the lock from PBT. Both have drag and drop actions to make the teams and both have you type in a name for a new team. I think Poofah was pointing out something different than what you were describing. I think Poofah was more talking about not using lock/unlock at all, which is where my comment you first quoted came from. I think it is a neat feature (though not my cup of tea per the earlier post of mine you quoted). Make sense?

Moritsume
Pet Score:13491
BattleTag®:MurdaMode#1395
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Moritsume » October 25th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Ugh, I downloaded the PBT update from the original author via curse today and now I can't select any of my teams ;/ And it looks like Agramonia's updates on wowinterface are no longer working. Not sure what to do ;_;

Edit: if anyone has agramonia's fan update version of PBT and could...load the folder to pastebin or something that would be super @_@

Agramonia
Top Rater
Pet Score:13749
BattleTag®:Agra#2451
Realm:Chamber of Aspects-eu

Post by Agramonia » October 26th, 2014, 6:32 am

Since the original author returned to update his addons I asked wowinterface to remove my fanupdates.
I am convinced the author will eventually create a working version of PBT.
If you can't wait or want to fall back to a rather working version, I still have a version here:

http://users.telenet.be/agramonia/wow/P ... .2.7.3.zip

Moritsume
Pet Score:13491
BattleTag®:MurdaMode#1395
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Moritsume » October 26th, 2014, 10:05 am

Judging from the comments on the Pet Battle Teams page at Curse I'm not the only one who can't get the new version to work. So, until Nullberri gets it fixed you are still my hero Agramonia :D