Help me PvP

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us
Re: Help me PvP

Post by Kpb321 » August 28th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Baz wrote:
Awq wrote:
Skavenged wrote:Guess we weren't butting heads against each other after all. I always run with a S/S Alpine Hare called "One Hop".
I can remember fighting One Hop, so I did fight you. I did battle quite a lot throughout that weekend so my memory is quite foggy, I guess someone else had the H/S breed.
Would someone be able to look at my pets and suggest some pvp teams? Wondering what would be worth leveling next :)
I would level up the pets that you aesthetically like (or pets that come with a story), regardless of their strength.

I can't tell you which teams to level up. There are A LOT of teams that can do really well. Most pets can actually do decent in pet pvp, although some might need specific teams. I would say that a team with good synergy will generally do better than a team of three random strong pets.

However, you could check for ideas. It has useful data on pet battles.

While I won't give you leveling advice I can create 1-2 teams with the pets that you currently own, if you like.
I see well I don't really mind which pets I use I just want to play a strong team to try get 5 wins in a row :)
Atm I'm using fiendish imp, death adder, spirit crab from that site and I think i have about a 50/50 win just looking to try and up that. Maybe 'm just not playing correctly but I'd appreciate some ideas on other teams I could make with what I have just to mix it up. :D

Edit: A team that can beat Magical Crawdad would be good i run into that A LOT and can never kill it.
The thing to remember is that 50/50 is actually where you should be. While it can be easy to forget you are playing against another player so the total average for everyone doing pet battle pvp has to be 50/50. If you are winning 60% of the time then some other people out there have to be winning less than 50% of the time.

This isn't like the tamers or CT where 100% or near 100% success rate is a reasonable goal.

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » August 28th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Kpb321 wrote: ...The thing to remember is that 50/50 is actually where you should be. While it can be easy to forget you are playing against another player so the total average for everyone doing pet battle pvp has to be 50/50. If you are winning 60% of the time then some other people out there have to be winning less than 50% of the time.

This isn't like the tamers or CT where 100% or near 100% success rate is a reasonable goal.
Luckily, I'm out there. And trust me, my win percentage is much lower than 50%. :cry:

What's got two thumbs and loses even when running DAH/Valk? :lol: :shock: :o :(
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » August 28th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Kendrah wrote:
Snorlax wrote:Everything else I threw together sucked really hard or I am too stupid to play them right.
If you've only been doing pet battles for a week then you shouldn't worry about losing in PVP pet battles. When you start a PVP battle, before you pick your first pet, you should have a relatively good idea of the other persons strategy and how they'd work against your pets. Basically, you need to know the combo's and set ups and how they'll work against you. Unfortunately, this comes from the experience you get by getting slaughtered over and over and over and over again, until you get knee jerk reactions like "oh my friskies! That's a kun-lai runt! He'll most likely chill me on the first round so that he can do that horrible combo! -- Oh more friskies! He just chilled me. I gotta block or switch out or heal or sacrifice either the current pet or another pet with really low hp to take that hit!"

Truly, you can't be as bad as I am. There was that one team (or more *cough*) that killed my entire team with only one pet.
I completely agree.
My first thought after reading the OP's post was 'Wow, 80% winrate is amazing for someone who is new to pet pvp battles'.

When I started I failed miserably. I tried the Flavour of the Month pets that were recommended (Conflagerate pets/Lanterns to counter Fluxfire Feline). I however could only get 30% winrate or so. I got slaughtered :D
I got tired of using the same pets that everyone else was using (and Fluxfire Feline got nerfed), so I tried out random teams. Some got a 10% winrate, others a 40% winrate. My first really successful team or so was Scourged Whelpling, Corefire Imp, Crystal Spider. It took me at least 150 wins (!) before I found my first succesful team. This team taught me how important cool down management is and how important match-ups are, amongst other things. I kept trying random things. It took me 500 wins however before I finally had a good grasp on pet pvp ><
Moral of the story. Your performance is a lot better than mine was when I started. I find it very impressive that someone who is new to pet pvp can get a 80% winrate.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » August 28th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Baz wrote:Edit: A team that can beat Magical Crawdad would be good i run into that A LOT and can never kill it.
Your team is countered by pet with both shields and heals. You do small damage with both the Death Adder Hatchling & Fiendish Imp. Your Spirit Crab won't do enough damage to burn through the Crawdad in a 1vs1.

However, you might have a shot if you can set things up.
When you get the Magical Crawdad at low health in the background, it most likely won't recover. The Magical Crawdad is a slow pet that requires setup (1-2 turns) to do its thing. Nether Gate can help you achieve this!
Your ideal match-up against a Magical Crawdad is the Spirit Crab. It is the only pet that can do reasonable damage against this Crab, although its dps is too low to kill it solo. You can however try to counter his tactics, although this won't work every time.
I, for example, would use Whirlpool and maybe use Snap (no shield). When I anticipate the heal I would swap into the Imp. I would burn until he uses Wish. But when he uses Wish I would use Nether Gate to swap him out. You have basically wasted his heal and you have a chance now! It really depends on the pace of the game and it can easily be countered.

If the Crawdad does not use a shield the Death Adder can help with his dps combo (avoid using blind, it is a wasted round). You could for example use Snap/Snap/Whirlpool/Swap to Death Adder/Poison/Dps Combo to burn through him.

The same tactic can be used against Emperor Crabs (and other crabs). You however must count the round that it heals. Then you must swap it out with Nether Gate the round before it can heal again. While Crawdads are very tough to beat, Emperor Crabs will sadly be tougher. The cooldown of the heal is shorter.

I'll try and make a few teams. I am not sure of their success or easiness to use, but I'll do my best.

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » August 29th, 2014, 12:58 am

Baz wrote: I see well I don't really mind which pets I use I just want to play a strong team to try get 5 wins in a row :)
Atm I'm using fiendish imp, death adder, spirit crab from that site and I think i have about a 50/50 win just looking to try and up that. Maybe 'm just not playing correctly but I'd appreciate some ideas on other teams I could make with what I have just to mix it up. :D

Edit: A team that can beat Magical Crawdad would be good i run into that A LOT and can never kill it.
Drop the fiendish imp from that team and use a crow or raven instead. It doesn't synergize particularly well with either of the other pets, and a flier with darkness would cover the team's weaknesses a lot better.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » August 29th, 2014, 6:55 am

Another pet to use is the kun li runt instead of the fiendish imp.
With its stun and charge combo off of its stun it does well against magical crawdads.
And it heals every time it hits so the crawdad healing usually can't keep up with the damage the runt does and the runt will usually heal more than the crawdad can put out.
Love watching crawdads try their wish/heal thing against my runt and end up running away.