My Pet Collection
You've collected 0 pets
Log in to track your collection

Trying to Figure out my team......

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
User avatar
Elzanith
 
Posts: 11
Joined: June 15th, 2014
Pet Score: 1987
Location: Canada

Trying to Figure out my team......

Postby Elzanith » June 16th, 2014, 4:53 am

Hey guys i just signed up on here and love the site so far! However i am having issues trying to pick which pet to use as my team! I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what i have picked so far.

Slot 1:Lil' Bad Wolf
Slot 2: ???
Slot 3: ???

I have been trying to figure out what other types of pets compliment this little fellow! Any suggestions would be great.

User avatar
Gabrizar
Top Rater
 
Posts: 27
Joined: September 1st, 2012
Pet Score: 3548

Re: Trying to Figure out my team......

Postby Gabrizar » June 16th, 2014, 5:28 am

What we would suggest as a team totally depend on what you need the team for. Is it for leveling up to 25, powerlevel pet by defeating wild pets, tamers (if so where, first ones, bc, wraith, cata or pandaria) or is it for pvp?

Even then we would most likely recommend different pets. But it really depend on what you plan to do. And ofcourse what you like and the tactics you end up using.

As a side note. Back before pet battles went live, I had already planned most of my team or some teams or key players on the teams. I was so wrong and clueless...
Hardly any of the pets I WANTED to use, because I loved and adored them are on any of my teams, be that for tamers or wild pets.

User avatar
Ril
Top Rater
 
Posts: 154
Joined: January 13th, 2009
Pet Score: 3268

Re: Trying to Figure out my team......

Postby Ril » June 16th, 2014, 5:46 am

if it's about levelling, you might want to consider those that are used to do tamers dailies with 2 pets, since this is a much more effective way to level pets than via wild pets. along with lots of useful rewards such as battle stone.

here's the guide for beginners, which uses solely a anubisath idol and a green proto whelp: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4580
and here's he guide for advanced players. don't bother to read it yet, but look at the list of pets that are used. those are the ones you want to focus on. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7556#p57978
there is also the pet tournament, which can give you some more ideas of what to level. note that it lists several different strategies for one boss so you only need to pick one. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7195

keep those lists in mind when you choose your next levelling zone.

as of personal experience, i've always found a feline familiar very handy for wild pets, even though it is not part of any of the tamer quests. it's combination of skills makes it a great killer for birds and critters, while it has high sustainability thanks to its shield and self heal. levelling via wild pets is very tedious without bandages due to the 8 min cooldown on pet heals, so maybe you'll want to cycle through 2 or 3 separate teams.

User avatar
Elzanith
 
Posts: 11
Joined: June 15th, 2014
Pet Score: 1987
Location: Canada

Re: Trying to Figure out my team......

Postby Elzanith » June 16th, 2014, 5:55 am

Gabrizar wrote:What we would suggest as a team totally depend on what you need the team for. Is it for leveling up to 25, powerlevel pet by defeating wild pets, tamers (if so where, first ones, bc, wraith, cata or pandaria) or is it for pvp?

Even then we would most likely recommend different pets. But it really depend on what you plan to do. And ofcourse what you like and the tactics you end up using.

As a side note. Back before pet battles went live, I had already planned most of my team or some teams or key players on the teams. I was so wrong and clueless...
Hardly any of the pets I WANTED to use, because I loved and adored them are on any of my teams, be that for tamers or wild pets.


Well i am leveling my first team up so i need to figure out something Versatile.... Looking at these guys atm.

Lil' Bad Wolf
netherspace Abyssal or Chrominius (I just got him)
Onyxian Whelping\Dark Whelpling or Phoenix Hatchling

What do you think for a general PVE\Easy to use sense?

User avatar
Gabrizar
Top Rater
 
Posts: 27
Joined: September 1st, 2012
Pet Score: 3548

Re: Trying to Figure out my team......

Postby Gabrizar » June 16th, 2014, 10:21 am

I would recommend Onyxia whelpling myself, or something like it, since I used it myself and loved it, and thought it worked very well.
Or the red dragonwhelp. It is good against flyers and can heal a bit and fly up in the air and take no damage for 1 round, but ofcourse miss with only 80% hit.

Then a beast killer, since you will be fighting a lot of beasts. I used the darkmoon tonk I believe, the zeppelin would also work wonder I think. Started thinking the mechanican pandaren dragonling would also do wonders here, thou I didnt have when I leveled my own, and later leveled for a friend on his bnet acc who didnt have the patience to level to 24.

And you need a crit killer too, so many wildpets you meet in the world are critters, and having a crit killer maes it a lot more easy.
I think I used Bananas on my own acc. Since my friend didnt have that one, I used the darkmooon monkey on his, but sure many others would do the trick too.


You write you want to use the lill bad wolf, but I have no experience with it myself, other then powerlevel mine, so I dont know how good or useful it is.
Also it depend on what you like yourself, if a maggot had been the best choice I would had refused to level with it myself, and picked one I wanted to look at.

Some wrote about guides, and they are useful, and you might wanna take a look at them. But you can also just try and start working at it, and yeah .. give it a go. We learn as we do it more, and what work for one might not for the other.
Healing is hell unless close to a stable master to you can start doing the dailyes for the bags and the bandages, so having heal on a pet do wonder, and having both a beast and critter killler help you win faster which will do less damage to your team.

As a last thing I would wish you good luck and promiss, it will get a lot more easy and faster :) And believe it or not, you will end up with more bandages then you know what to do with in the end, but it is hell being without them in the start :D

User avatar
Shikon01
MVP
 
Posts: 281
Joined: September 1st, 2013
Pet Score: 2205

Re: Trying to Figure out my team......

Postby Shikon01 » June 16th, 2014, 10:28 am

Looks like you picked some good self heal pets which is helpful when leveling pets. The hardest part is getting those first 3 pets to 25 and you do want to be able to power level those as quickly as possible. For most starting out most new folks went w/ durable but really good " cheap " pets like moth, rabbit and frog because a little variety helps your pets survive when you are battling pets in the wild. I liked your whelpings and chromius has nice heal and decent hit as well. Idols are pretty cheap now as well and he hits like a tank. I usually go w/ one heavy hitter, one flyer w/ heals and one undead so that you have a little variety when you start out :) Good luck to you :)

User avatar
Elzanith
 
Posts: 11
Joined: June 15th, 2014
Pet Score: 1987
Location: Canada

Re: Trying to Figure out my team......

Postby Elzanith » June 16th, 2014, 4:48 pm

Shikon01 wrote:Looks like you picked some good self heal pets which is helpful when leveling pets. The hardest part is getting those first 3 pets to 25 and you do want to be able to power level those as quickly as possible. For most starting out most new folks went w/ durable but really good " cheap " pets like moth, rabbit and frog because a little variety helps your pets survive when you are battling pets in the wild. I liked your whelpings and chromius has nice heal and decent hit as well. Idols are pretty cheap now as well and he hits like a tank. I usually go w/ one heavy hitter, one flyer w/ heals and one undead so that you have a little variety when you start out :) Good luck to you :)


Thanks i have narrowed it down now to this..


lil Big Bad
NetherSpace Abyssal or Pandarian Mech Whelpling serpent thing.
Pheonix Hatchling or Mini-Onyxia

Not sure which one of those for my last spot :(

User avatar
Kpb321
 
Posts: 688
Joined: April 30th, 2013
Pet Score: 3518

Re: Trying to Figure out my team......

Postby Kpb321 » June 16th, 2014, 5:18 pm

If you just want to get your first pets to 25 quickly do the following.

Go to Deadwind pass and capture a couple eye's. They should be level 17ish and are solo so you can capture them with much lower level pets. They are weak against mechanical's so you can even use level 5 or so mechanical pets. Once you've got 3 green/blue eyes go to Dragonblight and capture some dragonbone hatchlings. Your eye's magical attacks are strong against them which helps make up for the level difference. Their is a guy at Wyrmrest to heal your pets if needed. You can try to find fights with mainly flyers to make life easier. Once you've done that go to the vale of eternal Blossoms and take two hatchlings and 1 eye and fight the aquatic pets there. You'll get all aquatics with an occasional flyer. You can either level those three to 25 or capture a good pet in there that is level 23 and start working it up. Either way you save a lot of leveling time by capturing things well above your level.

Once you've done that you should be able to more easily power level up additional pets to be able to start doing the tamers to really start leveling your other pets. Can't claim this as my idea but I can't find a link to the blizzard forum post I originally saw it on off hand.

If you want to do it the normal way I recommend a strong beast with a heal (good against the critters that are common). A Mech unit with a heal (good against beasts that are common) and another good pet with a heal or sandstorm. The two most common wild pets are critters and beasts so it makes sense to make your team strong against them. A flier with a heal would be nice but there really aren't a lot of options there.

User avatar
Elzanith
 
Posts: 11
Joined: June 15th, 2014
Pet Score: 1987
Location: Canada

Re: Trying to Figure out my team......

Postby Elzanith » June 16th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Kpb321 wrote:If you just want to get your first pets to 25 quickly do the following.

Go to Deadwind pass and capture a couple eye's. They should be level 17ish and are solo so you can capture them with much lower level pets. They are weak against mechanical's so you can even use level 5 or so mechanical pets. Once you've got 3 green/blue eyes go to Dragonblight and capture some dragonbone hatchlings. Your eye's magical attacks are strong against them which helps make up for the level difference. Their is a guy at Wyrmrest to heal your pets if needed. You can try to find fights with mainly flyers to make life easier. Once you've done that go to the vale of eternal Blossoms and take two hatchlings and 1 eye and fight the aquatic pets there. You'll get all aquatics with an occasional flyer. You can either level those three to 25 or capture a good pet in there that is level 23 and start working it up. Either way you save a lot of leveling time by capturing things well above your level.

Once you've done that you should be able to more easily power level up additional pets to be able to start doing the tamers to really start leveling your other pets. Can't claim this as my idea but I can't find a link to the blizzard forum post I originally saw it on off hand.

If you want to do it the normal way I recommend a strong beast with a heal (good against the critters that are common). A Mech unit with a heal (good against beasts that are common) and another good pet with a heal or sandstorm. The two most common wild pets are critters and beasts so it makes sense to make your team strong against them. A flier with a heal would be nice but there really aren't a lot of options there.


Well looks like

Onyxian Whelpling (Better then my phoenix in every way.....)
Lil' Bad Wolf (Eats Critters and other fun stuff!)
Netherspace Abyssal (Can hurt Mech & Flying!) BUT i did just get Ana Idol so....going to use his OPness lol!


Return to Pet Battles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Mystik_sok, Slurms and 8 guests