Just curious

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us
Just curious

Post by Skavenged » March 25th, 2014, 10:36 pm

For the past 4 weeks, I've been pretty busy in the real world. The only PvP I have done is the minimum 10 per week (on tuesday night). I have not lost a single fight in 4 weeks. I have also not needed to alter my team in 4 weeks due to matchup issues. I am now 40-0 over a 4 week span (using three separate toons to spread the xp love).

Am I missing something, or has pet PvP gotten so stale that I can repeatedly run the same team over and over to dominate all-comers? Before this 4 week period, people would face me, change their setup to face me again, and then I would change my setup to face them again. It was a virtual chess-match. Now, I just go get my ten in about 45 minutes, and then I'm done for the week. I thoroughly enjoy pet PvP, but the fun part is the challenge of figuring out my opponent. Are people losing interest?

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Just curious

Post by Poofah » March 26th, 2014, 1:03 pm

I suspect that a lot of the more hardcore folks have mostly finished what they wanted to get from pet PvP and have probably moved on. I haven't even bothered with the 10 wins per week for a few weeks now. The few weeks before that, I didn't see a lot of the 'top' teams. So I'd guess that the queue has a lot more players who are just trying pet battles out, now that the other content has been pretty much finished.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » March 26th, 2014, 2:41 pm

what is. This 40 and 0 team you speak of

Sile9
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Sile9 » March 26th, 2014, 3:34 pm

The announced tentative release date of WoD might be a factor. My subscription expires today as I'm going to be playing ESO, but even if I weren't the realization that there's going to be zero new content until at least around the end of the year would probably be a deal breaker for me. No doubt many experienced pet battlers need more than a rarely updated minigame to justify continuing to pay monthly.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » March 26th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Might be time for me to start PVPing again. Got a bit tired of getting stomped by teams and players much better than me. Will be nice if there are more averagely-skilled matches in the system now. ;)

Skavenged

Post by Skavenged » March 26th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Iamwhatis wrote:what is. This 40 and 0 team you speak of

Its a Valk team

Se5s
Pet Score:3144
BattleTag®:sess#1102
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Se5s » March 26th, 2014, 11:04 pm

has your server been joined with any other servers recently? i noticed when cho'gall joined auchindoun/laughing skull the meta changed COMPLETELY.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » March 27th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Skavenged wrote:

Its a Valk team
3 times Valkyrie?

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » March 28th, 2014, 11:57 am

Iamwhatis wrote:
Skavenged wrote:

Its a Valk team
3 times Valkyrie?
He's probably talking about Valk, DAH, and a third pet. That team is so over powered.

Regillixavatar
Pet Score:1735
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Regillixavatar » March 28th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Kendrah wrote: He's probably talking about Valk, DAH, and a third pet. That team is so over powered.
Unless you have an Emperor crab with Surge then it's fun to lol at flailing death adders. For extra fun, add in a Spirit Crab

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » March 28th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Regillixavatar wrote:
Kendrah wrote: He's probably talking about Valk, DAH, and a third pet. That team is so over powered.
Unless you have an Emperor crab with Surge then it's fun to lol at flailing death adders. For extra fun, add in a Spirit Crab

that is it exactly.
he went 40 and 0 no one countered this team in that span or no bad RNG cost him at least one match?
I doubt it.
I usually go 10-2 to 10-5 in my 10 wins and almost all my losses are due to bad RNG.
so either this guy has the best luck with RNG or the worst que groups why complain?
I don't mind to lose if I get out played, their is something to learn from that, but RNG always seems to play a hand in my battles I wish it didn't.

Regillixavatar

Post by Regillixavatar » March 28th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Digem wrote: that is it exactly.
he went 40 and 0 no one countered this team in that span or no bad RNG cost him at least one match?
I doubt it.
I usually go 10-2 to 10-5 in my 10 wins and almost all my losses are due to bad RNG.
so either this guy has the best luck with RNG or the worst que groups why complain?
I don't mind to lose if I get out played, their is something to learn from that, but RNG always seems to play a hand in my battles I wish it didn't.
Ugh...RNG and misses...don't get me started...nothing quite as awful as what I call the "Critical Miss!" but that's all part of the game I play. I try to play with teams that I like rather than FOTM pets so I don't come in expecting a 99% win chance, just fun. My favorite part is always figuring out which pets I need to counter which of my enemy's pets

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » March 28th, 2014, 3:17 pm

I'm not a pet battle expert by any means, and certainly not a PvP battle expert. But I will add this:
I've done 4 PvP battles so far, all 4 were against Valk teams, and 2 of the 4 were the typical Valk/DAH make up. I suspected as much going in. I don't have a Valk yet, so I went in knowing I needed to beat it. I've gone 3-1 so far. Apparently the Crab method works rather well. And the one time I used Singing Sunflower / Blossoming Ancient / Magical Crawdad was funny, he just bailed after my second Sunlight. :lol:
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Regillixavatar

Post by Regillixavatar » March 28th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Kel wrote:I'm not a pet battle expert by any means, and certainly not a PvP battle expert. But I will add this:
I've done 4 PvP battles so far, all 4 were against Valk teams, and 2 of the 4 were the typical Valk/DAH make up. I suspected as much going in. I don't have a Valk yet, so I went in knowing I needed to beat it. I've gone 3-1 so far. Apparently the Crab method works rather well. And the one time I used Singing Sunflower / Blossoming Ancient / Magical Crawdad was funny, he just bailed after my second Sunlight. :lol:
Dat moment when a Death Adder user realizes you can heal when blinded...priceless

JEC
Pet Score:5503
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by JEC » March 28th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Regillixavatar wrote: Dat moment when a Death Adder user realizes you can heal when blinded...priceless
That's almost as priceless as the mistimed haunt = dead Valk priceless :)

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » March 29th, 2014, 12:54 am

Kel wrote:I'm not a pet battle expert by any means, and certainly not a PvP battle expert. But I will add this:

another dead on post nothing is unbeatable.
only team that was close was murkalot and kovak teams and it was more due to the fact made it seem pay to win.
but I did go like 50-0 at one point with the murkalot pet team since it was basically immune to RNG.
and why I agree it needed to be nerfed.

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » March 29th, 2014, 6:33 am

I've done my 250 wins for the pet so now I'm pretty much done with it. I gather that goes for more people.
As for the Valk and Adder team, a simple fox will massacre them. Last battle against it, my first 2 turns did over 1400 damage to the valkyr.

Skavenged

Post by Skavenged » April 2nd, 2014, 11:38 pm

Digem wrote:
Regillixavatar wrote:

that is it exactly.
I doubt it.
Actually, Digem, I did go 40-0 (43-0 to be exact, since I finally ran into someone in week 5 that changed comps to beat me). I used a Valk/DAH/Rabbit team. Like I said in my original post, no one was changing their comp to face me. No one seemed to have a great counter team that I struggled with. No one even came close enough for RNG to matter. I saw very few aquatics, and the ones I did see didn't lead them against my Valk. That's the whole reason that I asked the question. It just seemed too easy. This week, it seems back to normal. I was 10-3.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » April 3rd, 2014, 8:21 am

It is possible to go unbeaten on low pop servers ..as soon as you run up against someone who wont change their team against you, they will flee every time they see you. I lucked out last week and had a player flee 6 times in a row due to being matched up against me after I beat his team twice. I think the teams you face involves some whacky rng.
------------
The only downside against trying Pet PVP this way is that Pet pvp now seems to be done Cross realm (maybe it always was?) I faced a team with very uniquely named pets ..switched to a low pop realm then saw that exact team the very next match.

For info purposes, I only do 10 wins per week now and my team was : Unborn Valk/Murkalot/MechPandaren Dragonling and I do switch it up among a half dozen team combos or so.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » April 3rd, 2014, 8:37 am

Skavenged wrote:Actually, Digem, I did go 40-0 (43-0 to be exact, since I finally ran into someone in week 5 that changed comps to beat me). I used a Valk/DAH/Rabbit team. Like I said in my original post, no one was changing their comp to face me.
There's a reason why that team is so strong. It has really nothing to do with you nor others, to be honest. It's just the nature of that team. That's why everyone calls Valk/DAH teams OPed -- OPed enough that the third pet hardly matters. If no one is changing their comp, perhaps its because you're one of the few in your battle group that are using that team. You do ten games a week, right? You can win rather fast with that team so why would anyone change their comp up if you're doing PVP for maybe an hour each week? I know I don't. I find people who use that combo to be boring (sense it's so rote now it's boring.) I just grin and bare it, then move on to more interesting teams.

Instead of complaining, why not change up your team if it bothers you enough to make a thread on it? :roll: