pet traders please dont rip us off :(

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu
Re: pet traders please dont rip us off :(

Post by Waflob » April 22nd, 2013, 3:27 am

When I saw a rare lvl 25 pet for 7g 99s 99c, I snapped it up, but just *knew* that the seller had made a mistake.
Being the nice person I am (or idiot, depending on your point of view), I contacted the seller and asked if the price was correct. Apparently, he meant to put it in for 8k and didn't notice. I did the decent thing and mailed it back to him.

Must be racking up the karma points :-)

Threnody
Pet Score:3078
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Threnody » April 22nd, 2013, 5:00 am

I had an interesting experience on my alt's dead server today.

While advertising my TCG pets posted on AH, a trade chat "regular" called me out for "over-charging". Against my better judgement, I engaged the troll :oops: I politely explained that because I am currently the only supplier of the pets on the server, I have no other reference point. I set a price (based on wowtcgloot x 1000g) and welcome others to undercut me (so far no one has). And those who aren't willing to buy at my prices are welcome to buy the cards with real $$$ off the internet as the other person suggested.

Of course the discussion degenerated when the other person started calling me names and telling me to go "over-charge" some other server. Then people actually bothered to join the discussion and came to my defense(!), quoting "supply and demand" and other points mentioned in this thread.

I didn't get a sale from all the fuss, but it's nice to know that some people (even on trade chat!) actually understand this free market stuff :D

/end coolstorybro

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » April 23rd, 2013, 11:19 pm

Threnody wrote:I had an interesting experience on my alt's dead server today.

While advertising my TCG pets posted on AH, a trade chat "regular" called me out for "over-charging". Against my better judgement, I engaged the troll :oops: I politely explained that because I am currently the only supplier of the pets on the server, I have no other reference point. I set a price (based on wowtcgloot x 1000g) and welcome others to undercut me (so far no one has). And those who aren't willing to buy at my prices are welcome to buy the cards with real $$$ off the internet as the other person suggested.

Of course the discussion degenerated when the other person started calling me names and telling me to go "over-charge" some other server. Then people actually bothered to join the discussion and came to my defense(!), quoting "supply and demand" and other points mentioned in this thread.

I didn't get a sale from all the fuss, but it's nice to know that some people (even on trade chat!) actually understand this free market stuff :D

/end coolstorybro
Glad I was able to give you something to start the flame war in trade today, lol!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Contre
Pet Score:4357
BattleTag®:Contre#1537
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Contre » April 23rd, 2013, 11:38 pm

You're not being ripped off unless you chose to go through with a sale.

Why should I take less than what I believe a pet to be worth? To be nice to you?

Threnody

Post by Threnody » April 23rd, 2013, 11:52 pm

Dakaf wrote:Glad I was able to give you something to start the flame war in trade today, lol!
Lol, it happened a couple of days ago :D Your TCGs helped me get a Ji-kun for my collection today. Whee!

Anyway, I've since learned to be more selective when selling on that server. Dead servers have ridiculous prices and business is rarely brisk, so I post only hot items now, like the new 5.2 pets.

Threnody

Post by Threnody » April 24th, 2013, 12:04 am

Contre wrote:Why should I take less than what I believe a pet to be worth? To be nice to you?
Um, I actually do this sometimes. I hope that in being nice to someone I'm building a good trading relationship. At other times, I just like the warm fuzzy feelings that come with helping someone fill gaps in their collection.

It's not like I give pets away for free... ok wait, I've done that a couple of times too. Anyway, I find that most people I've traded with here tried to come up with a fair deal for both sides.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » April 24th, 2013, 6:42 am

I gotta agree, I've taken less (and at times been given more) from what certain pets are worth, and most of the time it's with someone I've traded with before. I think it builds healthy networks, and people look out for each other in a way. What's 1-2k is pet price in all honesty? Each server is different and everyone has different values. I've had people whisper me about pets I was after even if I didn't have the best deal for them or offer to hold things for me until I can get what they need and vice versa. Some people may just see $$$ but from what I've seen in the trading community, not very many.

Kagalii
Top Rater
Pet Score:10513
BattleTag®:Mikadochan#1520
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Kagalii » April 24th, 2013, 6:54 am

Tahsfenz wrote:I gotta agree, I've taken less (and at times been given more) from what certain pets are worth, and most of the time it's with someone I've traded with before. I think it builds healthy networks, and people look out for each other in a way. What's 1-2k is pet price in all honesty? Each server is different and everyone has different values. I've had people whisper me about pets I was after even if I didn't have the best deal for them or offer to hold things for me until I can get what they need and vice versa. Some people may just see $$$ but from what I've seen in the trading community, not very many.
I agree with most of what you say here. However, it also depends on how much the difference is really. I'm not about to trade away pets that I paid a lot of gold for for something that's not even remotely close in value. I don't buy gold so that means I put a decent amount of time and effort into acquiring it to just give it away freely. I don't judge people who want more or less equal trades. It is only fair.

Meldron
Top Rater
Pet Score:4602
BattleTag®:Meldwyn#1993
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Meldron » April 24th, 2013, 1:07 pm

No one is the "authority" on pet value or pet trading! It is personal and subjective and depends on various factors for each player. How a pet was acquired, how "in to pets" someone is, personal goals in-game, etc... all influence value for each person.

If you want to be the first on your server to have a certain pet, you might be willing to pay 100K for a new raid drop the week it comes out, while others could care less when they get it, hoping that it will come down in price eventually and be more affordable for them. In this case, the first player put a much higher "value" on that pet than the second, are either of them right or wrong? Not at all. The first player is paying for the privilege of being one of the first to have something new, while the other is paying by waiting for it to come down in price.

Value is totally subjective and should never be regulated or argued! It is what it is for each individual. If you don't agree with someone's subjective value on a particular pet while negotiating, then a deal might be unlikely. But, that's what negotiating is all about.

In the end, this is supposed to be fun, it is all just part of a "game" after all!

Oceanaia
Top Rater
Pet Score:5376
BattleTag®:Oceanaia#1971
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Oceanaia » April 24th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Meldron wrote:No one is the "authority" on pet value or pet trading! It is personal and subjective and depends on various factors for each player. How a pet was acquired, how "in to pets" someone is, personal goals in-game, etc... all influence value for each person.

If you want to be the first on your server to have a certain pet, you might be willing to pay 100K for a new raid drop the week it comes out, while others could care less when they get it, hoping that it will come down in price eventually and be more affordable for them. In this case, the first player put a much higher "value" on that pet than the second, are either of them right or wrong? Not at all. The first player is paying for the privilege of being one of the first to have something new, while the other is paying by waiting for it to come down in price.

Value is totally subjective and should never be regulated or argued! It is what it is for each individual. If you don't agree with someone's subjective value on a particular pet while negotiating, then a deal might be unlikely. But, that's what negotiating is all about.

In the end, this is supposed to be fun, it is all just part of a "game" after all!
This right here. I remember back pre MoP when I paid 50k for my server first Darkmoon Rabbit (back when I was on Misha). I got so much crap for paying that much from just about everyone. "You got ripped off" "Why would you pay that" etc. filled my chat box for a few days, I even lost a RiD friend over the harassment he gave me for it.

I am STILL proud of that purchase, and never have thought of it to be a "rip off". I am one of the "in to pets" people that you described and I was willing to pay that amount.

It basically boils down to what YOU are willing to pay. If you feel it's too expensive, then don't buy it. Either someone else that MUST have it will pay that amount, or the seller will go down in price.

I think the ironic thing about my purchase is the server I am on now I have seen that Rabbit go for over 80k, and it's def not the server first xD

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » April 24th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Meldron wrote:If you want to be the first on your server to have a certain pet, you might be willing to pay 100K for a new raid drop the week it comes out, while others could care less when they get it, hoping that it will come down in price eventually and be more affordable for them. In this case, the first player put a much higher "value" on that pet than the second, are either of them right or wrong? Not at all. The first player is paying for the privilege of being one of the first to have something new, while the other is paying by waiting for it to come down in price.
Yes, but the first player is actually buying the pet and driving its market value. In this scenario, the pet really is worth 100k. The second player might not agree, but that's irrelevant because they aren't participating in the market. As long as there are other players willing to pay 100k, then it's worth 100k.
Oceanaia wrote:I remember back pre MoP when I paid 50k for my server first Darkmoon Rabbit (back when I was on Misha). I got so much crap for paying that much from just about everyone. "You got ripped off" "Why would you pay that" etc. filled my chat box for a few days, I even lost a RiD friend over the harassment he gave me for it.

I am STILL proud of that purchase, and never have thought of it to be a "rip off". I am one of the "in to pets" people that you described and I was willing to pay that amount.
You should be, that was a great buy. 50k seemed like an astronomical amount for a pet in Cata, but it turns out that plenty of people were willing to pay 50k and even higher. So those other people were simply wrong: regardless what it was worth to them, they were not the ones setting the price.

Meldron
Top Rater
Pet Score:4602
BattleTag®:Meldwyn#1993
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Meldron » April 24th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Poofah wrote:
Meldron wrote:If you want to be the first on your server to have a certain pet, you might be willing to pay 100K for a new raid drop the week it comes out, while others could care less when they get it, hoping that it will come down in price eventually and be more affordable for them. In this case, the first player put a much higher "value" on that pet than the second, are either of them right or wrong? Not at all. The first player is paying for the privilege of being one of the first to have something new, while the other is paying by waiting for it to come down in price.
Yes, but the first player is actually buying the pet and driving its market value. In this scenario, the pet really is worth 100k. The second player might not agree, but that's irrelevant because they aren't participating in the market. As long as there are other players willing to pay 100k, then it's worth 100k.
Only for a short period of time, as is the case with any and all drop type pets.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » April 24th, 2013, 6:32 pm

I'm not saying I'm gonna give the pet away (well sometimes to guildies), but if say my pet I value at 10k, and I'm being offered 8k worth of stuff, especially from someone I've dealt with before, it's fair enough to me. I'm not gonna trade a soul trader for a sinister squashling, though, no matter how much I like the person. 8-)

Nessahelyan
Pet Score:12949
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Nessahelyan » April 24th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Ryazan wrote:
Avarre wrote:.... but some of the demands are really ridiculous.
Like 500 000 gold from the Ethereal Soul-Trader which in our AH last week? :P
Tha'ts going for 150ish REAL dollars ..I can see asking that much ,,it may be slightly high - but for something going for that many REAL dollars on ebay - I expect the gold request to be high.