Battle Stones - Exchange or sit on them?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu
Battle Stones - Exchange or sit on them?

Post by FuxieDK » March 6th, 2014, 3:36 pm

I have 85 82 green pets left...
I also have 3 undead stones, but no green undeads left..

I know I can exchange my 3 undead stones for a generic stone and up grade any pet (beast or flying makes most sense).
However, in a forseeable future, WoD will be released and (most likely) many new green pets will appear, some of which are bound to be undead..

So, what is the best thing to do? Exchange 3 undead stones to something I can use, or sit on them, until WoD is on us?
Last edited by FuxieDK on March 7th, 2014, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Battle Stones - Exchange or sit on them?

Post by GilroyKilroy » March 6th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Kinda depends how often you do the Pandaria tamers/elites? I did them daily to level up my 700+ pets (all rare) and have over 150 stones sitting in my bank. So if you are patient, and do the dailies, I would not trade in.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » March 6th, 2014, 4:24 pm

I agree. It depends on what you plan to do. If you are going to keep doing Tamers to work on leveling your pets you'll no doubt end up with more undead stones along the way. WoD also doesn't seem to have a heavy undead theme so I'd expect that there probably won't be a huge number of undead pets that have to be stoned added to the mix. You could always wait until you get a couple more before you do a trade in and keep a minimum number of stones available just in case you need them for some reason. Another possibility is using them to stone pets to sell for a profit. There aren't a huge number of possibilities for undead but the Macabre marionette is probably the best option. That might help you buy other pets you need instead.

Itty
MVP
Pet Score:3383
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Itty » March 6th, 2014, 9:07 pm

You have 482 rare pets already, so unless there is a pet that you urgently want to upgrade, you might as well wait. We don't know yet what role stones will play in pet breeding or what pets will be in the next expansion.

Already, we know of one undead pet to expect in WoD; the"Weebomination". And if there aren't that many undead pets in WoD, you can still exchange the stones later. It's not like they expire.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » March 7th, 2014, 1:16 am

GilroyKilroy wrote:Kinda depends how often you do the Pandaria tamers/elites? I did them daily to level up my 700+ pets (all rare) and have over 150 stones sitting in my bank. So if you are patient, and do the dailies, I would not trade in.
I just begun 3-4 weeks ago doing tamers.. I'm not fanatic about it, so I do roughly 5 (complete tours) per week..

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » March 7th, 2014, 1:40 am

Itty wrote:You have 482 rare pets already, so unless there is a pet that you urgently want to upgrade, you might as well wait. We don't know yet what role stones will play in pet breeding or what pets will be in the next expansion.
Not really.. I have all wild pets in the game as rare (but random breeds), and (I think) I have all vendor/achievement/drop pets that only come in green, so I'm pretty sure, that 82 is the total number of needed upgrades (pre WoD).. I do miss some pets (Droplet of Y'shaarj, some ToT pets etc, but to my knowledge all these pets only exists as rare..
Itty wrote:Already, we know of one undead pet to expect in WoD; the"Weebomination". And if there aren't that many undead pets in WoD, you can still exchange the stones later. It's not like they expire.
Auchindoun and Oshun'gun are both places of worshipping ancestors. In Outlan there are plenty of undead in these places. I expect the same will be true on Draenor pre-sundering.
If this holds true, it's apote tial source of undead pets (wild or vendor)..

Post by Guest » March 7th, 2014, 6:50 am

I'm missing 8 flying and 3 beast and have plenty of stones I could swap out. I prefer to sit on them as there will be new pets of all types in WoD.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » March 7th, 2014, 7:17 am

FuxieDK wrote:Not really.. I have all wild pets in the game as rare (but random breeds), and (I think) I have all vendor/achievement/drop pets that only come in green, so I'm pretty sure, that 82 is the total number of needed upgrades (pre WoD).. I do miss some pets (Droplet of Y'shaarj, some ToT pets etc, but to my knowledge all these pets only exists as rare...
As of right now there is a total of 130 battle pets and an additional 9 nonbattle pets that are uncommon only. And yes all of the Raid pets come in Rare quality. Check out this post for the full list of Uncommon only pets.

I traded in 3 magic stones once when it first got added to be able to do that and I now regret it. I don't do the tamers all that often anymore now that I almost have all my pets leveled but I have at least 4+ stones of every other family and even 4 BoE stones and I still have ZERO magic stones all because I couldn't wait to stone my second S/S Crow. So if you can be patient I would recommend waiting.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » March 8th, 2014, 7:00 am

I exchange and use stones, but only if I have 4 or more of that type. This way I don't have to worry about getting an uncommon pet in the future and not having a stone ready and waiting for it.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » March 8th, 2014, 7:10 am

Depends, is their one pet you really want to make rare or need to make rare(for pve tamers or for pvp purposes ) then do so.
But truth be told waiting best option because might get the stone you want/need in your next battle anyway.
Game seems to like to do that