Blue for blues =Top Ten 'Wilds' you should stone !

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us
Blue for blues =Top Ten 'Wilds' you should stone !

Post by Tekulve2012 » February 10th, 2014, 11:00 am

Looking for help here guys...sorry if there have been other threads of this nature.

We are all aware of some of the pets that are toughest to catch (minifernal, Unborn Valkyr etc) but I still feel badly about 'wasting' and Auction house worthy flawless stone on upgrading an uncommon wild pet.

Having said that, time = gold in WoW so if there was a way of getting a clear sense of the tough wild pets to catch as rare then it would make collectors feel a bit better using a stone rather than wasting bandages and time.

I know RNG and my lack of patience sort of combine to make my 'rare' pet hunting time seem long so forgive me if all ten of these are easy to get ..please list ones you've hard a hard time finding Blues for...
-----------------
I'll start this off with a few I've had a tough time finding as rare in no particular order(even though they are #'d):
1)cheetah cub 2) restless shadling 3) luyu moth 4)oily slimeling 5) arcane eye 6)grotto vole 7)spawn of onyxia 8)giraffe calf 9) death's head cockroach 10) forest spiderling

Thanks for any feedback/tips

Ryu99

Re: Blue for blues =Top Ten 'Wilds' you should stone !

Post by Ryu99 » February 10th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Alot of the wild pets with time are findable as rare. A low pop server (i use an RP-PVP realm) is great for finding most pets as they are there in good numbers so you can sit there and have a pick of all the pets in the zone. I'm also stubborn and don't like using stones normally on wild pets.

I'm afraid i don't have a top 10 list myself but here are a couple i used stones on.

I used one on a Wanderers Festival Hatchling due to the spawn conditions.
One on the Wildhammer Hatchling as i actually found a P/P one and really didn't want to try and find that as a rare.
I have stoned the obvious ones like Min-fernal and Valkyr,
The other ones I'm currently considering are Highlands Mouse and the Sand Kitten as RNG clearly doesn't like me with these.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479

Post by Tekulve2012 » February 10th, 2014, 2:00 pm

Thanks for reminding me about the Jade Oozling ... I still havent met a p/p ..I will stone it if it's not rare for sure ..I do have a b/b at rare ..but want the best breed of ooze around too ;)

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » February 10th, 2014, 2:13 pm

I have a toon on a medium pop server and I am always inviting people over to look for either rare hunter pets or the harder to find wild pets so feel free to hit me up. I usually invite then tab out since that keeps you on the other realm.

Pselaphon
MVP
Pet Score:5167
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Post by Pselaphon » February 10th, 2014, 3:42 pm

You might want to take a look at " Battle-stones and you " :
http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1782/battle-stones-and-you

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » February 10th, 2014, 4:00 pm

I managed to find both Wildhammer gryphon and emerald proto-whelp in P/P rare when I was hunting them originally, so no need for stones on those. Have used several stones on other wild pets though, obviously the rare ones like minfernal and unborn valkyr, but also just other ones that were being stubborn about showing up in rare quality.

I think I stoned 2/3 of the cloud serpent hatchlings, because trying to farm them was getting frustrating. Also I think almost all of my Deepholme shale spiders were stoned, because I had loads of ele stones and couldn't be bothered to farm them properly.

Someone above mentioned the sand kitten and death's head cockroach - looks like I will be upgrading those too. Damn things are hard enough to find in the right breed.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554

Post by Kpb321 » February 10th, 2014, 6:22 pm

My list would generally match up with what others have posted.

Valk, Infernal, Flayer Younling, etc. I stoned the last of my three cloud serpent hatchlings and I'm planning to stone a p/p wildhammer gryphon once I'm done with the rest of the pets I need in the zone assuming I don't happen to get a rare P/P as an add while finishing things up.

I also stoned a few random pets. Kitain Mongoose and the Spirebound crab spring to mind. Both were the last pet I needed a rare for in the zone and neither one seems to be showing up so I just got fed up and used a stone. The stone for the spirebound crab actually dropped while I was trying to farm a rare in the wild.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » February 10th, 2014, 6:53 pm

I've stoned a number of wild pets, for a variety of reasons. In general, stone the ones that have unique (or super long) spawning conditions, or ones where you want a particular breed and finding that breed alone, much less a rare of it, would take excessive time.

As for me, this is what I stoned, and why.

For rarity reasons, Wanderer's Festival Hatchling, Baby Ape, Minfernal, Unborn Val'kyr, Scourged Whelpling, Giraffe Calf, and Crow.

For right breed (with too many options) reasons, Qiraji Hatchling, Flayer Youngling, and Sporeling Sprout.

For "I need you for a tamer fight RIGHT NOW" reasons, Tolai Hare Pup and Infinite Whelpling.

For "oh my God I'm so sick of farming you" reasons, Anodized Robo Cub, Cheetah Cub, Hare, Oily Slimeling, and Twilight Fiendling. (Other candidates from personal experience: Diemetradon Hatchling, Infested Bear Cub, Harpy Youngling, Scarab Hatchling.)

Groups 1 & 2 make for 10 pets. Groups 3 and 4 were last resort. I don't recommend others stoning either rabbit, for example. And I still mostly regret stoning the Robo Cub and the Cheetah Cub.

Edit: As for your list, I'd say wait on stoning that Grotto Vole, Death's Head Cockroach, Luyu Moth or Forest Spiderling. You'll want your critter, beast and flying stones for your non wild pets. Luyu Moths are plentiful in Krasarang Wilds. Grotto Voles and Death Head's Cockroaches can be found down the tunnel in Hyjal where they were holding Fandral Staghelm prisoner. They're both common as secondary pets in the Hyjal zone. I don't remember having an issue finding the Forest Spiderling either, but I'm also the person who stoned her Hare.

For the Arcane Eye and Restless Shadeling, do you do the tamer by Karazhan regularly? I see Arcane Eyes around her all the time. I think the competition for the Shadelings has died down, as I've seen them still up when I've done the tamer close to noon. Spend a weekend morning in the tunnels, and hopefully one will turn up.

Post by Guest » February 11th, 2014, 11:28 am

I wouldn't say any of the 10 listed in the first post are hard. I caught rares of most of them pretty easily.

Nordrassil Wisp - There's a very small area for spawning, it's a cross-realm zone and the respawn time is lengthy. They also can't spawn as secondaries.
Coral Snake comes to mind (from Stonetalon Mountains).
Crimson Geode - Because everytime I found a rare it would Stone Rush me and suicide itself. I've found a few rares but they all suicide themselves eventually.
Emerald Proto-Whelp - I stoned this one as soon as I caught a P/P.
Unborn Val'kyr - Found one within 5 minutes of release (poor quality) and have spent a lot of time in northrend since then. Haven't even seen another one yet.
The rabbit from hillsbrad - Snowshoe Rabbit/Hare?

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » February 11th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Anything I spent more than an hour looking for.

If you do your panda tamer dailies every day, you will be swarming in stones withing a month. No reason to annoy yourself trying to find a single pet. It takes me less than an hour to do all the dailies, and I almost always get at least 1 stone.. so why spend more time than that hunting for a rare pet.

Some of the ones mentioned here I remember. Like the corel snake in Stonetalon or the rabbit in hillsbred. It is just too easy to get stones compared to flying all over the place doing pet battles in the wild.

Post by Guest » February 12th, 2014, 8:48 am

Azrile wrote:If you do your panda tamer dailies every day, you will be swarming in stones withing a month.
I get a stone a day if I'm lucky (this is doing all possible tamers that reward bags, incl. classic, bc, wotlk, cata, panda)

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » February 12th, 2014, 9:41 am

Can't believe no one has mentioned the Scourged Whelpling yet!! That one originally took me a lot of effort on low-pop RP-PVP realms to get any sort of luck :)

Minfernal
Val'Kyr
Scorpling? (Above the Dark Portal)
Was another scorpid I think, on the north / south shores of thousand needles... Took me weeks of effort to get a rare one.
Wanderers Hatchling
Sumprush Rodent

That's all I can think of right now :)

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11204
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » February 12th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Other than the ones listed that are a major PiA or heavily camped (I did stone the Val'kyr, etc.), I'll stone anything that I get tired of waiting for the right breed to come up rare.

My naming conventions for the hold pets include variations of "HoldforWoD" or "HoldforSS", "HoldforRare", so I know why I have some of the common/uncommon hanging around.

That and any 'name' reward type pet that isn't rare, I'll spend a stone on.

I don't do all the tamers/pets for stones daily but when I do I get anywhere from 1 - 4+ a day.

But I figure with XP from battles for my toon, the battling pets (level appropriate fights in general), etc., it's fun to search for those elusive rares. I don't like to do that on the 90's, but the XP can't be beat for leveling toons.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » February 12th, 2014, 6:43 pm

For some reason I had no problem w/ arcane eye, restless shading. or wisp
Cheetah cub - I know of a couple of folks who got a blue so that tells me they exist.
Giraffe calf - I don't know of anyone who ever got a blue
Valkyr - Felt lucky just to find one most appear to be common or poor.
Minfernal - if I ever find one its stone time most seem to be common or poor.
Scourged Whelping - Finally gave up.
Baby Ape - If I ever catch the spawn time right.
Emerald Proto whelping - heavily farmed finally gave up and upgraded greens
Snowy Owl - Most appeared common or poor couldn't even find a green
Twlight Fiending - small spawn area and big blue just never happened.
Nexus Whelping - finally gave up
Jade Oozleling - small spawn pool

No regrets
Last edited by Shikon01 on February 14th, 2014, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » February 14th, 2014, 3:14 am

I ended up stoning the following, for obvious reasons:
- Minfernal
- Unborn Val'kyr
- Giraffe Calf

I seriously considered, but didn't stone:
- Jade Oozeling
- Snowy Owl (tons of grey and green, only a single white)
- Stunted Shardhorn (this one eluded me longer than Emerald Proto-Whelp)
- Arctic Fox Kit (was the last wild pet I got as rare)
- Undercity Rat (Stormwind Cousin was easy)
- McFrog (spent 8 hours straight before i found a blue)

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Aur » February 17th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Some of the most annoying for me are the ones that are zone wide catches with little to no primary spawns. Anything with a big pool of primaries to whack through I will hunt and get a rare eventually. For the weather pets or ones with low respawn timers I just parked alts at spawn spots. But, I hate killing random pets in a large zone on the hope that the secondary I want will pop and that it is a rare\right breed\color, etc.

Also, if there is a pet I want in a specific breed, or a rare color, I am more likely to stone it. I won't hunt those down forever, it is not worth it to me. Anything I plan to use for battles I prioritize. I would rather blow a stone and start getting use out of the pet. For the majority of wild pets you capture breed won't matter, so I will take any rare that pops.

Some wild pets just aren't worth chasing down because stones in that family are so easy to get. Undead\human and elemental fall under that category. Same goes for the Cloud Serpent dragonkin. Beasts and flyers are the last ones I am still working on "uncommon only", so spare stones from the dailies in other families now go to wild pets. I thought I would never find a rare Irradiated Roach, so it was one of the first I used a stone on once I got all the vendor and drop critters done. I don't have a rare Jade Oozeling yet but it is not worth farming since I don't have a need for one right now. I only have 2 non-rare magic pets total (the other one is the Arcane Eye) so I know I will eventually get a stone for it from the dailies.

I have been pretty faithful to "uncommon only" first, before using stones on battle pets. Pets I stoned for tamers are things like Emerald Proto, Flayer Youngling, Grasslands Cottontail, Crow, and of course the Valk\Minifernal. I got lucky on the Scourged Whelpling and found a rare first try. I also stoned a Spiny Lizard because I wanted a specific color and it was a pain to farm. After that I am not sure it matters really. I think anything you want a specific breed\color of is worth a stone. I also started stoning the low level zone pets first because you can't even level a pet while farming them (not efficiently anyway) so it is a waste of time.

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13904
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Waynebrady » February 17th, 2014, 5:53 pm

In most cases whether or not I stone a pet depends on how long I had been farming a particular pet, despite how many spawns were around. Although, several pets I had to stone because of how rare they were just to get them (Minfernal comes to mind). I have been known to stone very easy to obtain pets, just because I had already spent hours farming for a rare in a particular breed.

Some of the pets that top my list of pets I've stoned:

Qiraji Guardling (because they were hard to get before the buff to spawn)
Anodized Robo Cub
Minfernal
Baby Ape
Silithid Hatchling
Blighthawk
Coral Snake (I hated farming this guy!)
Crow (S/S)
Restless Shadeling
Emerald Proto-Whelp (P/P, I found a rare P/B)
Flayer Youngling (S/S)
Snowy Owl
Sporeling Sprout
Stunted Yeti
Tiny Harvester (hated farming this guy)
Molten Hatchling

I got lucky with finding a rare version of:

Unborn Val'kyr
Cheetah Cub
Arctic Fox Kit
Lofty Libram
Scourged Whelp (I found 2 H/H rares! Back to back)
Tiny Twister (found 2 rares, but dropped one before breeding was announced)
Tiny Bog Beast
Nordrassil Wisp (was lucky, second or third was a rare S/S)