All I want from Blizz is $6k(ebay) as $625(BlizzStore)

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Goldash
Pet Score:4825
BattleTag®:Insane#1813
Realm:Barthilas-us
All I want from Blizz is $6k(ebay) as $625(BlizzStore)

Post by Goldash » February 6th, 2014, 11:27 pm

>Re-release Collectors Edition pets as Deluxe Digital Upgrades($100ea)

>Re-release Wind Rider Cub in Blizz Store($25ea)

>Make All BlizzCon pets available for purchase for BlizzCon attendees during any BlizzCon($100ea)

>Make available all no longer obtainable and region specific pets in some recurring fashion. Ie: Spirit of Competition - Obtainable during Olympics.

Ruststorm
Top Rater
Pet Score:5021
Realm:Nagrand-eu

Re: All I want from Blizz is $6k(ebay) as $625(BlizzStore)

Post by Ruststorm » February 7th, 2014, 1:57 am

I'm not sure i actually understand the purpose of the post? :S

:edit: After having seen your wall post, i now understand it's what you want... :) I just don't understand the topic title ;)

Oh well, I hope the same as you do, although being special because you have them at this moment is of great value as well and should not be changed... Something being limited should stay like that... :)

Goldash
Pet Score:4825
BattleTag®:Insane#1813
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Goldash » February 8th, 2014, 8:19 am

Having a limited edition doesn't show you are special in any way other than to show you have spent extra money on the game. Its just currently you have to go outside of blizz and pay exorbitant prices. Currently for me to get the rest of the pets I don't have it would cost about $6,000 via ebay. If they were to make changes as I have suggested it would cost me $625 which is still ridiculous for essentially digital avatars but I can justify it a little better to satisfy my OCD and my bank account and it would fund a game further that I have enjoyed for a long time.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » February 8th, 2014, 8:45 am

Ya, I have seen the prices on ebay and it blows my mind along w/ the prices for some of the pets. Its all about supply and demand unfortunately I haven't won the lottery so most is out of my price range, but I do treat myself a couple a times a year on a pet or mount since my wow play falls under " hobby " ;)

Ruststorm
Top Rater

Post by Ruststorm » February 8th, 2014, 11:02 am

Goldash wrote:Having a limited edition doesn't show you are special in any way other than to show you have spent extra money on the game. Its just currently you have to go outside of blizz and pay exorbitant prices. Currently for me to get the rest of the pets I don't have it would cost about $6,000 via ebay. If they were to make changes as I have suggested it would cost me $625 which is still ridiculous for essentially digital avatars but I can justify it a little better to satisfy my OCD and my bank account and it would fund a game further that I have enjoyed for a long time.
Of course you're not - special - when you are the owner of a limited edition... However, notice the word "limited"... It shows it will probably never be available in abundance. And that's why people are willing to spend an extra buck or two, just to have the special feeling of owning a thing or two most other players don't own.

Once again, i do feel the same as you do... there're loads of items for sale on ebay which i would LOVE to lay my hands on (blizzcon pets mostly), but i just refuse to pay the price they ask for... I just do hope blizzard won't make those special limited items available to everyone, just spoils the limited feeling... Will just have to cope with the fact i will never own all available pets and mounts...

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13872
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Waynebrady » February 9th, 2014, 9:43 pm

I could see having a reskin of a pet for sale, but not the actual pet. Limited Edition pets are special, and they should keep it that way.

Post by Guest » February 10th, 2014, 4:16 am

If you want them badly enough, you'll buy them.

There are a couple of pets I'll never get because I missed the anniversary / WoTLK event. I don't feel these should be given away "just because" i need them to complete my collection. The same way I don't think any "limited edition" pets should be given away.

They were provided because you participated (whether this means buying a CE or an in-game event) and if you didn't participate, you shouldn't get them.

Ruststorm
Top Rater

Post by Ruststorm » February 10th, 2014, 4:54 am

Haevlyn wrote:If you want them badly enough, you'll buy them.
Probably only when you've got too much money to spend... I mean, litteraly thousands of dollars on a pet? meh...

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 10th, 2014, 10:54 am

I'm really mixed on this one. The collector in me says I wish there was some other way to get them now. Especially for the early ones where pets were something completely different than they are now.

On the other hand I do understand they were limited quantities or time to get those pets and that has passed. Adding a new way to obtain them wouldn't be fair to people who have spent lots on them, only to have them devalued by blizzard re-releasing them. Releasing a recolor doesn't help because I, like most collectors I think, would still want both the new recolor and the original.

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » February 10th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Kpb321 wrote:I'm really mixed on this one. The collector in me says I wish there was some other way to get them now. Especially for the early ones where pets were something completely different than they are now...

...Releasing a recolor doesn't help because I, like most collectors I think, would still want both the new recolor and the original.
This is pretty much my position as well. Back in Vanilla pets took up bag space and didn't do anything... the thought of having one was a waste of space and time. However, since then I have become an avid battle pet collector. Something that just did not exist back then. I still regret that I never picked up the [pet]Vampiric Batling[/pet] when I had the chance. If I only knew that pets would be changed to journal form and expanded sometime later I would have jumped on it.

On a side note... it would be really cool if Blizzard opened up the store for the 10 year anniversary... allow a limited time window to pick up the pets from Collector's Editions and BlizzCons past.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » February 10th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Kpb321 wrote:Adding a new way to obtain them wouldn't be fair to people who have spent lots on them, only to have them devalued by blizzard re-releasing them.
This is the principal issue. If Blizz re-released any of the limited edition pets, then they would not, in fact, be limited edition any more. This in turn would subvert their ability to sell future limited editions, and is not something they are likely to do.
Kpb321 wrote:Especially for the early ones where pets were something completely different than they are now.
And this is the excellent counter-argument: when those limited editions were available, we didn't know that pets would have functionality in a fun mini-game. I would absolutely have payed $30 extra for those limited editions if I'd known we could play pokemon with them. But the ship has sailed, and Blizz can't re-release these pets without large negative consequences. If the old LE pets conferred a significant advantage in pet battles, that would be a genuine issue: but so far, it's mostly not the case. I hold out hope that Blizz might copy the movesets from those LE pets onto different models, which they've done in a handful of cases (MIni-Thor/Warbot, for example). This is probably the best solution we can hope for, to accommodate pet battle balance as well as the exclusivity of pets that were expressly sold as limited editions.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » February 10th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Kalium wrote:Back in Vanilla pets took up bag space and didn't do anything...
You lost me here.

They followed you around and looked cute back in vanilla. What more would you want them to do?
the thought of having one was a waste of space and time.
Most of my toons had no pack space because at least one bag was full of pets, plus I had more in the banks. I spent time agonizing over who was best for which pets, because they were bound once used, so I had some here, and I just couldn't afford the space for the common ones (from vendors), so it was just drop pets for the most part.
If I only knew that pets would be changed to journal form and expanded sometime later I would have jumped on it.
You know what I was thinking when MoP released?
"Vindication, at last!"

Before MoP, I had over 2000 pets spread across all my toons. When MoP dropped, after I released all the common/vendor pets, I still had 750ish pets to sell right at the start of the expansion, including like 15 each of all 4 color whelplings.
On a side note... it would be really cool if Blizzard opened up the store for the 10 year anniversary... allow a limited time window to pick up the pets from Collector's Editions and BlizzCons past.
Blizzcon's, maybe yes. I'd like Murky for sure, and I have no objection to peeps getting the other pets if they missed them. but kind of up in the air about them. The model changed for Blizzcon's, so there's no particular need to keep them exclusive.

Special offers, definitely yes. like the murloc's the euro's got (including their special freebie murloc... at least let us BC CE peeps have the option to buy that one), and the dragons the asian players got, and whatever the US got special (if anything) for the euro and asian peeps. They've already started that by giving us the tigers and pigs with the RaF.

CE's, not so much. I'm gonna go with entitled snobbery on this one. :lol: :roll: Having a CE means you were there for that release, or were lucky to acquire one later. Heck, for BC, LK, and Cata I bought 2 copies of the CE so that both my accounts could have the pets.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » February 11th, 2014, 3:56 am

These pet should either be obtainable for not more then their original price (e.g. CE upgrade für €20 in the shop.). Or they should be time limited and no longer obtainable.

There is absolutely no reason why someone should be able to get a TBC, WotLK or Cata CE on eBay and register it but not from Blizzard anymore. Either the way to obtain these pets is time limited, and in that case the time for TBC, WotLK and Cata has passed and you should not be able to work around it with a lot of money on eBay, or it's not time limited and then there's no reason why they should be more expensive now.

Blizzard should either offer a CE upgrade in the cash shop or block registration for old CEs pet codes.
Last edited by Kring on February 11th, 2014, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Licus
Pet Score:3550
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Licus » February 11th, 2014, 5:30 am

Rare things should stay rare.

Put the vanilla CE pets on the BMAH or just leave them as is. The only two pets I will never get in this game are vampire battling and spirit of competition. I don't expect people to give up those two pets that mean something for me to have my way.

Before the vanilla CE shot up to insane prices, people paid a little extra to get the swag that comes with being a dedicated fan. If you could not buy it, missed the window of opportunity, or started playing too late, too bad. Everyone misses a pet here or there. Don't be greedy and OCD, just appreciate what you have.

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » February 11th, 2014, 10:23 am

In my experience those who are the most OCD or completionist and want at least the chance to eventually at some point be able to get all the things... well it's a self-solving problem in the end. As can be seen by how many friends of mine have just given up on wow because they've realized even if they exclude things that aren't possible any more or that are annoying to do (mostly pvp stuff) there's still so many things left that are horribly expensive, exclusive or require too much time + luck +coordination.

My guild's achievement guy had given up on the pvp bits but realized even the rest weren't viable with waiting an expansion or two. Any mount guys we had have long since left the game in wrath with it's "lulz, gone now!" mounts. The main pet collector in my guild left before the battle system even came out after giving up. So it's really not a big deal, those people just leave the game when they realize the quest to complete collections is never going to happen and don't ever come back to it.

Even I find I care less and less the more I realize that certain things are completely out of reach for me, maybe not for really rich people or people who can get wow customer support to fix things so they can buy arena passes, but certainly for me. Eventually I'll get to a point where just like all the others I used to play with I'll ask myself if I really care and the answer will be "whatever, not like I can ever complete the collection anyway so meh". So eh, why worry over it, you'll never be able to complete your collection, Blizzard won't re-release the pets you're missing until wow subs reach critically low levels and they need money badly, those who have them mostly don't want them re-released (I don't care with the exclusive pets I have, but I'm weird and never went in for that mentality in raiding/leveling/mounts either) and will fight to keep them that way. I'd say just accept that this is the nature of MMOs, completion of even a single facet of the game will become more and more impossible as the game ages, until that game dwindles away and no one cares any more. It's quite relaxing in a way, the more apathetic you start to become the easier it gets every time another unoptanium whatever is added in.

Mizix
Top Rater
Pet Score:7887
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Mizix » February 11th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Poofah wrote:
Kpb321 wrote:Adding a new way to obtain them wouldn't be fair to people who have spent lots on them, only to have them devalued by blizzard re-releasing them.
In my opinion, that's not an issue at all, specially because Blizzard doesn't follow that logic in ANY aspect of the game (not anymore, at least). You can happily farm old mounts, items or achievement's rewards, things that were once hard to get or unique are today very common and Blizzard supports it, despite all the complaints.

Most importantly, promotion pets (such as CE's or Blizzcon's) are NOT supposed to be sold on e-bay (they're BoP): that's something people do OUTSIDE of the game, by their own choice and not something Blizzard ever planned to happen or openly supports. Unlike TCG's pets, that are BoE and can be sold in-game, thus market-value actually matters there.

I can see why CE's pets should not make a return to the game, since Collector's Edition is supposed to be a limited supply, but then again the market strategy has greatly evolved since Vanilla: you can now buy a Digital Deluxe Edition, that includes the special pet and mount. It seems, to me, that those items are no longer considered limited goods, particularly so that you can still obtain a Digital Deluxe Edition years after the expansion's launch.

On the other hand, I 100% support a re-release of Blizzcon's pets. It was totally unfair to the people who could not afford the trip to the US plus the event's ticket; as an european student - broke by definition - I simply didn't have any chance to obtain those pets. It was not by choice but by real-life constraints. Now, you tell me I can have them BUT I have to spend THOUSANDS of euros on e-bay... wait a minute, even Blizzard realized it was stupid and introduced the virtual ticket.

However, the final argument is that, back then, pets were not what they are today. Imagine if during early vanilla Blizzard added a super-overpowered-item, more than legendary, but just cosmetic and today they tell you it is relevant to the current content. How would you feel? The only way I see for those pets to stay unique is if they became non-combat pets: keep them cosmetic, the collector in me would still want them, but it would feel less unfair.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » February 11th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Ruststorm wrote:However, notice the word "limited"...
The CE's are "collector's" editions, not limited editions. There was no limit on the last CE that I got via download. Anyone could pay extra and get it, even if it was every WoW subscriber. That's not limited. The only limiting factor was the money. OP suggested that the price be high. I agree with OP for the CE's at least.

There are still unobtainable pets like Vampiric Batling or Spirit of Competition.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » February 11th, 2014, 6:34 pm

´let go...´ it is not the end of the world. Really it isn´t. You don´t need every pet.

I have 575 or so. I can only have one out at a time. probably 90% of my pets I have never had out, even Blizzstore and tcg ones. I have leveled some of them to 25 and barely looked at them. I haven´t spent real money for any of them.

Sometimes I think it is like children with candy.. they only want it because you tell them they can´t have it. Seriously, sit down, think about it.. what difference would it really make if you had one more pet that you don´t have. Seriously, you would pull it out, look at it for 30 seconds and then immediately start stressing about the next one you can´t get.

Collect what you can, have fun doing it.. but relax about the ones you can´t get. They don´t really matter at all.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » February 13th, 2014, 7:24 pm

From what I understand, the Vanilla CE was an extremely limited release. I've seen people on this site, in other threads on this topic, explain how they simply could not get a Vanilla CE in their area, even though they wanted one.

Blizzard is not creating new Collector's Edition codes for pre Mists content, so any supply of those codes is now limited. The Digital CEs are a very recent development. I know Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm had a digital CE, but Wings of Liberty didn't. The Diablo 3 expansion will, but the original D3 didn't.

Look at the threads in the trading forums. How many people are looking for Mists CE? How many are looking for a CE from an earlier expansion?

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13872
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Waynebrady » February 17th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Digital Collector's Editions are not on sale for an infinite amount of time. By the time a new expansion comes it will definitely be gone (and the new one will be available), and chances are it will be gone long before the new one comes out. If you didn't buy it during the period of time it was up, you're going to have to purchase it through a 3rd party via a physical copy, just like old CE's. Digital CE's just make it easier than having to go to the store, but you pay a premium price and don't receive the cool stuff most CE's come with (Art book, Mousepad, TCG cards,etc). What you save in time, you lose in physical goods.

Unfortunately, just like the Pandaria CE is common now, previous Collector's Editions were somewhat common when that given expansion was current (except for maybe the Vanilla CE). I remember going to Best Buy 2-3 months after BC came out and they had several copies of the CE.