Rarest pet

Share pet collecting news and advice.
GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Rarest pet

Post by GilroyKilroy » January 29th, 2014, 10:32 am

According to Blizzard (http://media.wow-europe.com/infographic/en/world-of-warcraft-infographic.html) the rarest pet of all is the [pet]Tiny Red Carp[/pet]. I would presume they didn't count pets that are only obtained via events/store/tcg.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864

Re: Rarest pet

Post by Quintessence » January 29th, 2014, 11:04 am

I already made a bit of a fuss on this topic on my Twitter, but I'll say it again...I just can't understand where they got this statistic from. What data did they use? Which regions? EU and NA only? All?

Sure, Blizzard has access to information we don't, but just looking over [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/stats/?ob=ultra]WarcraftPets[/url] and [url=http://www.guildox.com/go/g.aspx?a=31]GuildOx[/url], the "rarest" pet (that can be acquired only in-game and is not a promotional pet) is Viscous Horror. The Tiny Red Carp isn't too far from the bottom, but there are a few others that fit the "criteria" prior to it.

What exactly was their "criteria" for the rarest pet anyway? No promotional pets or ones that are purchased outside of the game, got that. Do raid pets not count? Achievement pets? Even if the answer is yes to both, GuildOx lists the Vengeful Porcupette as rarer than the Tiny Red Carp.

I don't want to claim that the statistics found on these websites are 100% accurate and not lacking anything (I'm sure they are), but without Blizzard providing an explanation or source of how they came up with the carp pet as "rarest", I have to go by the data that's available to me. And that data doesn't match up with theirs so I'm left just scratching my head wondering. It's unsettling for me.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » January 29th, 2014, 11:07 am

I gotta agree with you here Quint, I saw that and thought you'd have a few questions ;)

Where the heck do they get their statistics from? Viscous horror should be up there, as it's limited access to a few, in end-game raids, on the harder modes, but the carp can easily (lol??) be fished up by ANYONE who plays!

Makes me question the validity of a lot of the stuff they claim...

Index

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » January 29th, 2014, 11:26 am

And Squirrel? Squirrel is more common then any vendor bought pet like a rabbit?

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 29th, 2014, 11:40 am

Squirrel seems at least plausible. It's a common low level pet in starting zones so is probably one of the first pets most people capture. Even cheap store bought pets probably aren't purchased by people who just dabble in pet collecting and battles.

The Tiny Red Carp seems odd and unlikely even if you include arbitrary rules like excluding Blizzcon/CE/Promotional/TCG/raid pets to eliminate ones that most people can't get "reasonably" or "easily". Looking at the list here the Vengeful Porcupette, Spineclaw Crab and most of the celestial pets are all rarer than the Tiny Red Carp with no obvious restriction that would prevent anyone from being able to get them.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 29th, 2014, 12:49 pm

I also posted my doubts on the accuracy of this on petopia, or... maybe accuracy isn't the right word. I just don't know when and where they pulled this info from. Guildox has Fishy as the most common pet which seems a more likely possibility given that every 85+ character who has leveled with some quests should've gotten it for free. And since I assumed they excluded paid for pets, I would think Viscous Horror would be the rarest of obtained in-game only pets.

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » January 29th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Fishy does seem likely. Along those same lines I could see the sinister squashling or the winter's veil helper pets being pretty common too. They sure aren't worth anything on any server.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » January 29th, 2014, 6:12 pm

I was wondering this too. There's no way a pet that's so cheap and easy to get is the rarest in-game pet (minus TCG and real money pets.) I've seen them under 1k on my server at times (they seem to flux between 1k ~ 9k depending.) GuildOx puts the red carp in the top five rarest pets as well.

I don't really believe it. How can this carp be rarer than the horror or darkmoon rabbit?

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » January 30th, 2014, 3:54 am

It also says there are 619 unique pets. Warcraftpets.com has 615. Which ones are missing?

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » January 30th, 2014, 4:19 am

I'm wondering at what time they gathered the data to make that. Because there was a while where the red carp... all the carps but red in particular.. was quite hard to get. But after a patch made the carps easier to fish up and made them tradeable I can't see it being the rarest. Certainly not compared to that infernal Viscous Horror. It seems like these statistics must be a bit dated by now, to a time where the carps had just been introduced.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » January 30th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Avalee wrote:It also says there are 619 unique pets. Warcraftpets.com has 615. Which ones are missing?
Good question.

We actually have 616 pets in our database, the Treasure Goblin isn't being included in the total for some reason (likely because it's not yet implemented in-game), so I'm trying to determine what the last 3 pets are. Or if they even exist.

Wowhead lists 618 total, but I've found two items that are not actually pets (Green Balloon and Yellow Balloon). Not taking those into account, the total number of pets that currently exist should be 616.

The last three that Blizzard included in their info-graphic could be the two aforementioned balloons plus another item that's not really a pet or a companion that's not actually available to us. There are quite a few of the latter in Wowhead's database that aren't obtainable by players.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » January 30th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Ishildur wrote:I'm wondering at what time they gathered the data to make that. Because there was a while where the red carp... all the carps but red in particular.. was quite hard to get. But after a patch made the carps easier to fish up and made them tradeable I can't see it being the rarest. Certainly not compared to that infernal Viscous Horror. It seems like these statistics must be a bit dated by now, to a time where the carps had just been introduced.
True, before the increased the drop rate and made them tradable the carps in general would were much rarer I'm sure but that would be pretty dated statistics.

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » January 30th, 2014, 12:46 pm

I have every idea the stats are for the rarest wild captured pet... fishing is technically capture because it wasn't a random boss drop or vendor purchased.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » January 30th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Kalium wrote:I have every idea the stats are for the rarest wild captured pet... fishing is technically capture because it wasn't a random boss drop or vendor purchased.
If that's the case, it would surely be Minfernal for the rarest wild captured pet. There are still some who don't have it. If it does include all drops/event, etc. Viscous Horror would definitely be the rarest pet. Even some TCG pets (like the kites) are cheaper to buy off the AH than it.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » January 30th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Quintessence wrote:
The last three that Blizzard included in their info-graphic could be the two aforementioned balloons plus another item that's not really a pet or a companion that's not actually available to us. There are quite a few of the latter in Wowhead's database that aren't obtainable by players.
What about the parrot from the admiral's hat or whatever? I know that doesn't count for us.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » January 30th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Dakaf wrote:
Quintessence wrote:
What about the parrot from the admiral's hat or whatever? I know that doesn't count for us.
Could be that one, could be Don Carlos' hat that summons the wolf, or it could be a number of other on-use items that spawns a temporary companion. Unless Blizzard divulges what data they used (and when), it's impossible to pinpoint what those last 3 pets are.

Tcufrogs
Pet Score:590
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Tcufrogs » January 31st, 2014, 2:46 am

I wish there was a common pet (ex: Cat, Frog, Roach etc.) That was slightly different from all the common ones or maybe even in a hidden house someone on Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms that sometimes (rarely) sold the "Rare Common" pet. It defiantly wouldn't be the RAREST pet, but it would be something fun to get/attempt to get kind-of pet.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840

Post by Badpathing » January 31st, 2014, 9:17 pm

Well, I guess think about it this way.

There were 5k of the Tyreal (for example) pet so of course there are quite a few people who have it, who might not have _any_ interest in pets. They may also be inactive since it is old, which means no Carp. The carp is pretty rare, and finding someone who 'likes' to fish is not necessarily common either, which means for the most part, the only people who have the fish are those who are really into pet collecting, or fishing. It's not like the fish is very appealing in any way other than to collect (imo).

So, I guess what I am getting at is that even though the fish is easy enough to get, you have to remember that non-pet collectors as well as pet collectors have the Tyreal pet (for example, again). Assuming ALL pets were considered for the statistic, it does not seem crazy to me since a) the fish is not really a 'great' pet for pvp or pve and b) only the hardcore collector's care about it.

I have a few friends who bought a Tyreal who don't care about pets at all, they just think THAT pet is amazing (to beat my already deadhorse of an example).

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840

Post by Badpathing » January 31st, 2014, 9:19 pm

Tcufrogs wrote:I wish there was a common pet (ex: Cat, Frog, Roach etc.) That was slightly different from all the common ones or maybe even in a hidden house someone on Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms that sometimes (rarely) sold the "Rare Common" pet. It defiantly wouldn't be the RAREST pet, but it would be something fun to get/attempt to get kind-of pet.
You mean like the black cat?