Share pet collecting news and advice.
Keltoroq
Top Rater
Pet Score:3561
Realm:Aggra (Português)-eu
Breeding

Post by Keltoroq » January 24th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Hey everyone

Have you been like me thinking on the future of the game with the pet breeding? At the moment when i go to new zone i try to find an extra rare of each more important pet. I'm looking for mates to each pet. Since the new pet stable will be breeding ground i'm thinking we will need two pets of different sex to get the new epic pets? Also i supose we will have a higher chance of getting a epic pet if both parents are rare?
Do you think i am crazy? lol

Do you think i am correct in this thinking?

Feel free to discuss. If it's like this will be fun to get the pairs hehe

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Re: Breeding

Post by Maizing » January 24th, 2014, 3:20 pm

What we have been told so far is that we will be able to "breed" any two pets of the same family (so we could, for example, breed a [pet]Cat[/pet] with a [pet]Worg Pup[/pet]).

One of the pets used will be "consumed" in the process (my take on this is that we will basically be upgrading one pet rather than actual "breeding").

The level of the "offspring" will be an average of the levels of the "parents" and there is a chance that the pet will be epic (the chance will be higher if both parents are already rare). There will be some means of using a battle stone in the process to increase the chance that the results will be epic.

We haven't really been given a lot of information on how it will all work though, so most of the information is speculation.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » January 24th, 2014, 4:03 pm

I really think this will be a fun part of the game. My biggest concern is losing a pet in the "breeding Process". I'm wondering if the "lost" pet will be the one upgraded leaving us with a pet having different stats or needing to get that pet all over again?

I am leaning towards the "lost pet" being upgraded hoping it is.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » January 24th, 2014, 4:12 pm

There was a blue post saying that it would be clearly defined which pet that would be consumed, and which one not. So you have a prime slot, and one you drop in the fusing box that will be consumed. Supposedly you will be able to expend battlestones to up the chance for epic.

And yeah, fusing is probably a better word than breeding. Since its not exactly what happens here.

Harpua
Pet Score:4602
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpua » January 24th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Not sure if anyone here ever played it, but SWG had a very complex pet breeding system. I don't expect anything like that, but the neat thing about it was with the right set of inputs and experimentation, you could produce a unique pet.

I'm really hoping something like that happens with this. For instance, a Feline Familiar crossed with a Black Tabby cat comes out average, but the FF and a Winterspring Cub produces a really amazing pet. I'll be disappointed if it's just RNG where we could all breed the same pair of pets and come out with different results.

The other thing I wonder is can we breed all beasts with each other or just , say. Felines. It would be cool if we could combine Moon Moon with a Darkshore Cub.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » January 24th, 2014, 8:26 pm

Luciandk wrote:There was a blue post saying that it would be clearly defined which pet that would be consumed, and which one not. So you have a prime slot, and one you drop in the fusing box that will be consumed. Supposedly you will be able to expend battlestones to up the chance for epic.

And yeah, fusing is probably a better word than breeding. Since its not exactly what happens here.
From what I have read, one pet will contribute the species (this is the pet that will be "consumed") and the other will contribute the breed... leaving us with the same number and same species of pets that we started out with.

This makes sense, because how else are we going to "breed" unique pets? Not to mention when we already have 3 of a kind.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » January 24th, 2014, 9:03 pm

I think it will be something like a gem socket interface.

Three slots. Pets A and B, plus optional battle stone. After hitting combine or whatever you will be left with pet A and new pet C.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11204
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » January 25th, 2014, 3:30 am

I guess I'm a purist, and was hoping they'd stick more to specific species to breed (cats to cats, spiders to spiders, crabs to crabs, etc.). I've been collecting and naming pets "holdwod" for that purpose. Trying to go for two rares, if possible.

I'd wondered why they even instituted sexes (breeds), if they hadn't intended to use it (require a male/female), but ?? Maybe Blizz will surprise us and require that.

I think it will be fun, regardless.

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » January 25th, 2014, 3:50 am

I'm not looking forward to this. It will require a lot of pet farming, a boring task which I'm glad I'm finished with now. Also I'm afraid it will create a flood of unbeatable uber pets that a starting pet battler will have no chance of beating.
Only 33 more PVP wins for my Direhorn and I will close that door behind me as well.
The only reason I will do this breeding thing is if they give a pet reward for breeding an X amount of pets.

Aeolyn
Pet Score:2593
Realm:Gorgonnash-us

Post by Aeolyn » January 25th, 2014, 11:43 am

I won't take part in this, I don't care if it means I can't pet battle anymore. I'm not destroying any of my pets. I just can't bring myself to go "Okay, Peddlefeet, you and I have been through a lot of PVP matches together and I love you but I'm going to cannibalize you now so that someone else can have your S/S"

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » January 25th, 2014, 1:39 pm

It will most likely be a situation like this.

Slot 1, the keeper slot.

Slot 2, the fusion slot.

Plugging a lvl 25 zao in slot 1, and a random lvl 1 H/H beast in slot 2.
Mix in a number of battlestones to highen chance for epic pet

Result, a lvl 12.5 HH Zao, with high chance of being epic.

Since the fused pet will be an average of the 2 pets levels. Plenty of disposable wild pets to catch and fuse to take desirable breeds without sacrificing any rare pets.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » January 25th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Luciandk wrote:plenty of disposable wild pets to catch and fuse to take desirable breeds without sacrificing any rare pets.
I agree with that completely. When I'm doing my pet battles, I end up killing a ton of rares. Seems like a shame, but now if they are the right breed, we will have another option. I hope they somehow put a notation of breed in game with out needing an addon though. Will make it a lot easier for casual pet hunters.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » January 26th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Aeolyn wrote:I won't take part in this, I don't care if it means I can't pet battle anymore. I'm not destroying any of my pets. I just can't bring myself to go "Okay, Peddlefeet, you and I have been through a lot of PVP matches together and I love you but I'm going to cannibalize you now so that someone else can have your S/S"
You could just get a new Peddle for the breeding. No need to "cannibalize" a pet you love. I've been holding on to extra rares I've seen in battle, and a few I used to sell on the AH like easy to obtain raiding with leases pets. Plus you're not cannibalizing, you're "improving" or "upgrading" them to something better. Maybe look at it that way :?:

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13286
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » January 26th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Okay I know this website gives us the "Gender". However is there a way in wow to tell what gender you get? There isn't from what I have seen and I spend a great deal of my wow time with my pets. How do any of you know you're not collecting all males? Are we 100% sure the genders given here aren't just "guessed by the website"? What also makes me a little suspicious is....Have you ever seen gender of pets listed on any other website? wowprogress? wowhead?

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » January 26th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Gender is pretty much an unused feature they left in, in case they might get to use it in the future. But it can be seen by analyizing the breed data.

And judging from the currently known iteration of pet breeding, gender is going to remain irelevant.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » January 27th, 2014, 3:40 am

Noticed a thread in MMOc linking to this one:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1445678-Pet-breeding-fusing-pets

Someone claims this:
Read Mumper's twitter from a month ago, they were toying around with the idea of breeding pets, having one pet being consumed to reroll the stat distribution and create a new version of the pet, with a chance to become epic. They have since stated that epic pets are no longer planned, and breeding might not make it either.

Anyone got a source on that? It would seriously be a downer for us pet battlers and collectors if both new improvements gets axed.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » January 27th, 2014, 4:25 am

Luciandk wrote:Noticed a thread in MMOc linking to this one:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1445678-Pet-breeding-fusing-pets

Someone claims this:
Read Mumper's twitter from a month ago, they were toying around with the idea of breeding pets, having one pet being consumed to reroll the stat distribution and create a new version of the pet, with a chance to become epic. They have since stated that epic pets are no longer planned, and breeding might not make it either.

Anyone got a source on that? It would seriously be a downer for us pet battlers and collectors if both new improvements gets axed.
[url=https://twitter.com/mumper/status/419155958359535616]Not planning on epics yet.[/url] Don't know about breeding.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » January 27th, 2014, 9:26 am

Ah, then epic pets are out for good for now. Probably for the best, would utterly destroy the balance and noone would really like to epicize their entire collection. Though I hope breeding still gets in.

Se5s
Pet Score:3144
BattleTag®:sess#1102
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Se5s » January 29th, 2014, 7:47 pm

possible use for the now more or less redundant celestial coins? combine zao into xufu, keeping a super buff xufu? get another of each, combine xufu into zao, keeping a super buff zao? my curiosity is about how the models will be affected. or are the models affected at all? like if u combine a baby ape with a spider do u get a ape headed spider that stands up on 4 legs and has 4 arms? i mean does the color at least change a bit? if u combine a predominantly blue pet with a red pet do u get a purple pet? i really hope there is at least a little depth to this. but it is blizzard, so i doubt it.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » January 29th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Se5s wrote:possible use for the now more or less redundant celestial coins? combine zao into xufu, keeping a super buff xufu? get another of each, combine xufu into zao, keeping a super buff zao? my curiosity is about how the models will be affected. or are the models affected at all? like if u combine a baby ape with a spider do u get a ape headed spider that stands up on 4 legs and has 4 arms? i mean does the color at least change a bit? if u combine a predominantly blue pet with a red pet do u get a purple pet? i really hope there is at least a little depth to this. but it is blizzard, so i doubt it.
Basically the keeper pet contributes the skin and abilities. Whereas the consumed pet contributes the breed.