Share pet collecting news and advice.
Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us
Re: Who gets your first upgrade stone?

Post by Mykro9 » November 11th, 2012, 4:01 pm

On a lot of the rare and hard to farm pets, I have been trying harder for good petID's than rares, in the hopes that I will get stones to upgrade them. I go for power and health over speed almost exclusively, though there are a few 'if user goes first' moves that warrant a faster pet to be effective. My biggest gripe is the qualification that family specific stones can only be farmed from battleling pets of that family, since families like humanoids only have 2 wild pet groups to battle, and only 3 I think come 5.1 with the Harpies. There are a few other families with this problem, but humanoids seem to be the worst.
mykro9#1585

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » November 12th, 2012, 1:06 am

I didn't wanna create a new thread to a question which relates to the pet stone but does anyone have idea does the level loss from upgrading a pet allow us to increase our "number of pets leveled to lvl 25"-amount?

For example, when my lvl 25 Personal World Destroyer is upgraded to rare, he will lose two levels. When I level him back lvl 25, will I gain +1 pet leveled to lvl 25 or not?
- Taking your candles since 2005

Riven
Top Rater
Pet Score:3606
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Riven » November 12th, 2012, 2:27 am

Minfernal, and if I ever get one, Scourged Whelpling. ;-;

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Post by Hellomynameis » November 12th, 2012, 8:33 am

I am thinking perhaps one of the pets that are not available as rares.

Green quality pets with unique abilities:
  • Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling
  • Jade Crane Chick
  • Gilnean Raven
  • Creepy Crate
  • Feline Familiar
  • Legs
  • Magic Lamp
  • Tiny Flamefly
  • Personal World Destroyer
  • Warbot
  • Curious Wolvar Pup
  • Curious Oracle Hatchling
  • Mechanopeep
  • Enchanted Broom
  • Proto-Drake Whelp
  • Ghostly Skull(#7)
  • Willy
  • Wolpertinger
  • Peddlefeet
  • Tiny Snowman
  • Tranquil Mechanical Yeti
  • Lifelike Toad
  • Pet Bombling
  • Mechanical Squirrel
  • Winter's Little Helper / Father Winter's Helper
..or one of those pets who are obtainable as rares, but have loads of different breed IDs AND are overcamped, so it might just be easier to upgrade an uncommon one.
  • Nether Faerie Dragon(#4)
  • Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling(#4)
  • Nordrassil Wisp(#5)
  • Flayer Youngling(#5) - I got this as rare now, so I won't be using my stone on this one atleast :D
  • Molten Hatchling(#18)
..or Red Cricket because of its awesome power, and I only got a poor quality from Sho my best friend.

..or Yellow Moth(#4) with loads of power.

As you can see, I am torn.

The idea of 3 rare Creepy Crates picking on the weakest in the group is tempting, and with them beeing undead, a finishing BONESTORM x3 seems very nice. :D

A rare Tranquil Mechanical Yeti would be the only mechanical with the ability to Call Lightning, together with a rare Personal World Destroyer's supercharged Quake, and we're talking nice aoe damage. Extra damage per attack paired with Clockwork Gnome's Build Turret, or a rare Pet Bombling's Batter or a Lifelike Toad's Tongue Lash or a Mechanical Squirrel's Trash. There are just so many possibilities opening up in the mechanical world with the stones! :)

Gilnean Raven with Call Darkness + Nocturnal Strike, but then again perhaps Nevermore (Your opponent's next ability becomes unusable for 5 turns) is better.

Legs had a nice burst combo: Whirlpool + Pump(first use) + Pump(second use) + Whirlpool deals its damage and you also use Surge of Power. If you do all this during Cleansing Rain, thats another 25% dmg.

Magic Lamp with the typical Magical Crawdad spell called Wish, and another spelled named Sear Magic(Removes all buffs and debuffs) could come in handy, but those spells aren't really that dependant on pet quality.

Curious Oracle Hatchling's Aged Yolk(Removes all buffs and debuffs) is the same as Sear Magic, and since it has low speed, it doesnt really have that much more going for it.

Curious Wolvar Pup's aoe Whirlwind has quite a punch, but it also has a 3 round CD.

Enchanted Broom, now this is a nice one! Batter will most likely cause an extra attack because of its high speed. Sweep will remove an enemy pet from the battle for 2 rounds, a very nice ability! And it also has the Wind-up ability that can be prepared before you use sweep to make sure you don't use it on an opponent it's weak against.

Ghostly Skull, well, it's an undead, so thats a big plus. It has two heals, so it could potentially stay alive a while(aim for the breed ID with high power to get better heals). And then you have the tier 3 abilities, both potentially good, but I would go for Ghostly Bite since stuns are really nice in PvP. Unholy Ascension would only be used as the last spell you use as immortally resurrected for 1 round, I would much rather go for a stun every 3 rounds.

Willy.. he could be good, could be bad. It kind of depends on what spells you get with Dark Simulacrum. It does have Interrupting Gaze, the ability to interrupt multi-round casts, on a 3 round CD, so it could gimp many heavy hitters. Worth keeping an eye on, so to speak. ;)

Peddlefeet, I do like his aoe and selfheal ability and a 25% chance to stun every 3rd round. Interresting.

Tiny Snowman, 3x elemental damage spells, which hits mechanicals for loads, and mechanicals are often seen in PvP. 2 round root on a 3 round CD, and a 3 round CD stun.

Winter's Little Helper's Gift of Winter's Veil is a nice startup to chop away 25-40% of the enemy hp instantly, then Call Blizzard and spam Ice Lance until Gift of Winter's Veil is ready again.

So I guess Tranquil Mechanical Yeti (mechanical) / Personal World Destroyer (mechanical) / Enchanted Broom (magic) / Legs (magic) / Ghostly Skull (undead) / Creepy Crate (undead) / Winter's Little Helper (humanoid) / Peddlefeet (humanoid) / Tiny Snowman (elemental) / Red Cricket (Critter) are my top choices.
Last edited by Hellomynameis on November 13th, 2012, 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hellomynameis

Post by Hellomynameis » November 12th, 2012, 1:48 pm

For those who are considering upgrading Peanut, I recommend taking a look at Pint-Sized Pink Pachyderm, same abilities but more power.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » November 12th, 2012, 5:12 pm

My biggest gripe is the qualification that family specific stones can only be farmed from battleling pets of that family,
They've said that stones will drop rarely from wild pet combats, and a bit less rarely from the daily quest reward satchels. I barely finish any wild pet battles any more, so I suspect I'll get them almost exclusively from the daily quests, in which case it should be a random assortment.

Also the new wild pets for us to go after in 5.1 are mostly humanoid, dragon, magic, and mechanical, so assuming they have reasonable spawn rates, then getting the right stones shouldn't be too awful. That might be a bad assumption though, considering the spawn rates on some of the current rare pets. Let's hope!

And I totally agree with Gilnean Raven, I overlooked that guy. Nice synergy with his moves and Nevermore would be brutal against a lot of popular pets, especially when you're likely going first due to Flying. For those pets with one damage move and two utility moves, if you can Nevermore the damage move, they are nearly useless (e.g. Flayer who can Reflect and Kick, but can't attack otherwise; Spawn of Onyxia who can Lift-Off and heal, but can't tail swipe).

Yaafm
Pet Score:3669
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Yaafm » November 12th, 2012, 11:31 pm

My favourite pet, Lil-smokey, so dissapointed when I found out he was uncommon.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » November 13th, 2012, 9:14 am

Not sure yet, will probably wait until 5.1 to make a list. But some possibilities include: Legs, Proto-Drake Whelp, Lifelike Toad, Red Cricket, and Jungle Grub.
Mingyao on Madoran

Tweak
Top Rater
Pet Score:8842
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Tweak » November 13th, 2012, 4:00 pm

I'm honestly not sure yet who THE first one will be, but here are some thoughts buzzing around my head...

Like everyone else, Minfernal, Scourged Whelpling, Snowy Owl and the other rare stuff should take some priority. I don't relish the idea of re-catching them to get a rare, so I'm thinking I'll take the easy way, lol...

One of my classic pets that I have my eye on giving priority to is my Black Kingsnake, and the only reason is, he's the very first pet I bought and the very first pet I named. To paint a picture for you... when I bought him and named him, spending 50 silver was spending ALOT of money. THAT'S HOW LONG I'VE HAD HIM! lol...

Some others that will likely be amongst the first are my Winter's Little Helpers... Egbert (and other Children's Week pets)... Singing Sunflower... stuff with unique models, that remains uncommon.

And lastly, once Epic Pet Stones are one day implemented (since they've already been data-mined, but Blizz says they're not coming yet) My Panda Cub will be the first among my pets to be purpled. Followed likely by my other Collector's Edition pets.

Frantor
Top Rater
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Frantor » November 14th, 2012, 11:44 am

Mini Tyreal - Why he is not epic is beyond me!

Mrbeankc
Pet Score:4299
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Mrbeankc » November 15th, 2012, 5:16 am

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Jade Crane Chick will be my first two in that order.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » November 15th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is the only uncommon that I have at 25 and actually use regularly: I'm definitely looking forward to rarifying him.

Epic stones hadn't even crossed my mind when I made my list. My first epic pet will definitely be Emerald Whelpling--this has been my favorite pet forever, and luckily she happened to get a great moveset, and was my first lvl 25. Her only downside is having a relatively low 260 power, but she's still a beast and can nearly solo several of the Cata/Pandaria trainers. Epicness will give her another 20 power, I'm definitely looking forward to that.

The only sad thing is that [url=http://www.petbattlearena.com/pet.php?pet=506]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/url] is coming in 5.1 and has nearly the same moveset, and will almost certainly have a better breedID available. So for battles I'm worried that this will likely usurp my poor Whelpling--but the model is so much uglier and it has no sentimental value. So torn!

Bindibear
Top Rater

Post by Bindibear » November 15th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Probably my Infested Cub, weird as that sounds. I mean, sure, I'm going to upgrade my minfernal, and some of the old mechs, and probably the Argent Tourney pets ... but I'm THE bear. And I can't use my bear. I tried for days and days and found nothing but poors and one, straggling uncommon. It makes me sad.

Lisanette
Top Rater
Pet Score:6418
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Lisanette » November 15th, 2012, 4:04 pm

My Wolpetinger: Wolfie Junior. Currently level 10, but getting it to 25 like its "father" Wolfie, whom I gave to a guildie. My best pet so far: 3 stun abilities at the same time is pretty nice. All the battle pets, one can find as rares giving enough time, so I will use my rare stones on the ones not able to get as rares in other ways. Epic and Legendary stones - thats a hole different story, yet to be told.

Currently working out a list to group the pets with identical abilities - to work out which skin to level and rarify.
I <3 my Wolfie
[url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anwxfm9jABocdDItb1N6QlhvbnMzQVVHQWgtOVBnWFE]Google-doc with all breeds and ability sets[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151106511417504.417452.700887503&type=3]Facebook photoalbum with pet-related stuff[/url]

Poofah

Post by Poofah » November 15th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Currently working out a list to group the pets with identical abilities - to work out which skin to level and rarify.
On this site, you can select a pet then click on 'battle info', and if you scroll down it shows you all the pets that share its moveset -- [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/beast/felines/black-tabby-cat/]Black Tabby[/url] as an example. It's a bit harder to navigate but it's more polished, and it shows the pet models.

Riven
Top Rater
Pet Score:3606
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Riven » November 16th, 2012, 12:59 am

After having battled with my Scourged Whelpling a bit and finding his abilities really awesome, I will probably upgrade him to uncommon -> rare as soon as possible. He's going to be awesome for battle!

My Minfernal is poor, so I haven't really had an opportunity to play with his abilities yet.

Hellomynameis

Post by Hellomynameis » December 1st, 2012, 1:48 pm

Hellomynameis wrote:Tranquil Mechanical Yeti (mechanical) / Personal World Destroyer (mechanical) / Enchanted Broom (magic) / Legs (magic) / Ghostly Skull (undead) / Creepy Crate (undead) / Winter's Little Helper (humanoid) / Peddlefeet (humanoid) / Tiny Snowman (elemental) / Red Cricket (Critter) are my top choices.
I just upgraded my Mechanical Yeti with an allround stone, I also got a flying stone and I am currently buying Yellow Moths until I get breed #4 to upgrade it. And then.. its the matter of my two Aquatic stone, which will be for Fishy and..perhaps Sea Pony, if I ever get it, I dont see much point in upgrading Speedy yet.

Moozipan
Pet Score:12470
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Moozipan » December 1st, 2012, 2:07 pm

Feline Familiar got my first stone.

Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Misstic » December 1st, 2012, 3:40 pm

Moozipan wrote:Feline Familiar got my first stone.

Haha same for me I used my beast stone on him, just too cute!