Scourge Whelp

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu
Scourge Whelp

Post by Yazhi » November 7th, 2012, 8:41 am

I like many others have been camping this relentlessly for weeks to no avail, and this morning I sat looking at the server selection screen since 9am waiting for the servers to come back on. I logged in IMMEDIATELY and only saw 2 scourged whelps, luckily I was able to catch an uncommon first time and left the other for someone else, but unless I missed someone that entered combat with all of them prior (and very swiftly) these pets do not seem to even spawn in a multitude even on reset.

I checked another server to be sure, and once again only one whelp up, really really hard one for people to get, especially work/school getting in the way of late nights/early mornings.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time on this until patch, there is huuge competition, word of advice: if possible try to camp a char there on as many servers as you can and make yourself available on resets.

Good luck everyone!

Bistromath
Pet Score:3055
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: Scourge Whelp

Post by Bistromath » November 7th, 2012, 8:53 am

I hope you get a rare on, but did you know that the Welp can spwan as far north as the Argent Grounds and as Far south as the start of the bug area. I got my rare to the south.

People dont seem to know to go that far North or South everone seems to sit at the hole in the ground, well i hope this helps some.

Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Yazhi » November 7th, 2012, 8:56 am

Nice post there :) TBH I got an uncommon and thought rather than killing the only other one on the chance for a rare, I would let someone without it have the catch. Something so rare I would feel guilty to stop someone else getting it. I will use a stone when available to make it a rare :P

Adashiel
MVP
Pet Score:3297
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Adashiel » November 7th, 2012, 12:34 pm

I was thankful for yesterday's extended maintenance, because it finally allowed me to catch a server reset. I snagged an Uncommon, and saw maybe three other spawns. I didn't check for more until after I caught mine, though, so there could easily have been other spawns that were captured while I was occupied. Indeed, the three that I did see were pounced on pretty much instantly.

Though I hate the idea of spending a battle stone on a pet that I could catch as a rare, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do with the whelpling and the minfernal. Camping them is maddening, and I'm not sure that 5.1 is going to change that.

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » November 7th, 2012, 1:08 pm

And CRZ just makes it worse. I have flown into the Argent Crusade area and seen 7 of them as I flew over the valley, but when I landed they mysteriously vanished... soooo aggravating.

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » November 7th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Guys, all it takes is a good friend to fly a level 1 alt up to Icecrown, and park it in the northern area, away from mobs. Set yourself up a FREE trial account on a DIFFERENT battle.net address, and spawn level 1 alts on multiple servers.

CRZ works if the inviter and the invitee are the same level, and this is exactly how I got my RARE Scourged Whelpling after only about 10 minutes (and a few deaths getting to close to mobs)

Previous to this, I'd spent hours running round in circles, trust me, this really does work!

Hydramith
Top Rater
Pet Score:3037
Realm:Doomhammer-eu

Post by Hydramith » November 7th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Be patient is the trick for these. Fly around and make sure you find them all.
After the first spawn they'll slowly spawn for about 2 hours long.
Sometimes there's about 20-30 mins between spawns, and then suddenly another 2-10 can spawn.
After the 2 hours have stopped from the first spawn onwards, they seem to quit spawning for quite a long time again.

Zenbuddhist
Pet Score:2092
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Zenbuddhist » November 9th, 2012, 11:58 am

I camped this one for weeks and never saw a single one. On the day I finally did, they were everywhere! I just kept checking till I found a rare, and am now leveling him in my primary team as I love his abilities.

Tatra
Pet Score:4589
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Tatra » November 9th, 2012, 5:17 pm

found out extended maintenance the other day was so happy finally i could have a chance, i work early morning till about 12-1 pm every day so i dont have a chance to get most server restarts. Any way i logged in said server wasnt up waited 5 min logged in again and server was up with no whelps, seems that my server went directly to crz or was grouped with a server that they started up earlier that day. sadly no whelpling for me and its the only one i need to have caught all wild pets :( back to farming and praying

Riven
Top Rater
Pet Score:3606
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Riven » November 12th, 2012, 4:30 pm

I've got level 1 alts sitting in Icecrown on about 6 different servers, including new low pop servers, EU servers and a server in Brazil, but I haven't had any luck finding a single whelpling.

I've also had several level 90s on other servers invite me to a party so I can check their respective CRZs, along with many hours of flying around Icecrown every single day on my main server.

I signed on right after the last maintenance on Tuesday, but all I saw was other people flying around and no whelps. Then on Friday there was supposed to be a server restart, which I got really excited about because it was my birthday(!) and I finally thought "here's my chance!". I set my alarm to get out of bed early and logged on 30 mins before restart time. The restart then got delayed 30 minutes, and 2 hours later, was cancelled altogether. This whole thing has been incredibly disheartening for me. I feel like he is taking more effort than every other pet put together. Even the weather-based pets aren't nearly this bad. :(

Tatra
Pet Score:4589
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Tatra » November 14th, 2012, 1:12 am

lady luck was shinning on me today. when the servers went up today i clicked on a realm that i have lowbies on on accident and logged into my main toon 5 min after server went up, only to be greeted with no whelplings. so i though what the heck i have a 85 on a low pop server that seems not to benefit a whole lot from crz, so logged into the toon and behold footprints so i flew down captured one it was uncommon i was sooo happy, no one else was around waited 5 minutes circled saw no one but found another 2 footprints so i waited nothing so thought i would see if i could nab a rare sadly it was poor and i did capture it since well 2 is better than 1 which is better than none, and well for the heart of me i couldn't let the poor thing vanish into nothingness . as soon as i captured the second one a mage thought they would be funny and started attacking me but to late i had already capture the poor soul. so after today i have all the pets (excluding the 3 dragons from cloud serpents) that are wild catches. know to upgrade to level 25 and change all none rares to rares, so that i can stone up the rare spawns only :)