How can you see if a pet is a dupet?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Cec
Pet Score:4796
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu
How can you see if a pet is a dupet?

Post by Cec » November 30th, 2013, 2:55 am

I just wanna know:
How can you see a pet is a dupet? If you are gonna make a trade.
What is a dupet anyways. Is it like a Hackett account wich some dude just makes 100000 copies of the same pet?

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Re: How can you see if a pet is a dupet?

Post by Graven » November 30th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Seeing as you're using terms I've never even heard of "dupet, hackett" you probably know more on this subject than I do. I believe I read somewhere that duped pets are always level 6, but don't quote me on that.

Roisen
Top Rater
Pet Score:8772
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Roisen » November 30th, 2013, 12:11 pm

If the pet is under valued that is a huge sign. Beyond that I doubt there is any way to tell, most of the suspected duped pets I've seen recently are all max lvl (possibly to avoid people seeing them at lvl 6). However there have also been some at level 1 that have been advertised by a lvl1 at very low prices so who knows really.

Iamwhatis
Pet Score:4076
Realm:Stormscale-us

Post by Iamwhatis » November 30th, 2013, 12:24 pm

I was on one of my toons. Someone said selling Spectral Tiger Cub cheep. I only had 50K so I offered it and he sold it to me. It was level 6. Suddenly I noticed Spectral Tiger Cubs being sold on every server I have a toon on 4 different servers. Then they started to appear in the AH all of them were level 6. Obviously duplicated. So I knew I had a duplicated one. I had bought mine to sell it for a profit and realized I needed to sell it fast before the market moved too much. I leveled it to level 25, in part to hide the fact that it was a duplicated one. Caged it and listed it in the AH. I also used it a few times in PVP and PVE pet battles. So in my opinion, while I was able to tell mine was duped, there really is no way to tell. Also, in my opinion, there is no difference. They can be played with, caged, sold, and sold on the auction house.

I also don’t think blizz will ever do anything to anyone who bought one. Similar to what was happening with those rubies awhile back.

Dupers are also selling the Ethereal Soul Trader and the Dragon Kite. This is why all of a sudden you see so many more available. When you see someone selling all three you pretty much know they are duped. These used to be extremely rare pets. Now they are all over the place. Prices will be coming down.

Ruststorm
Top Rater
Pet Score:5021
Realm:Nagrand-eu

Post by Ruststorm » November 30th, 2013, 1:22 pm

There's only one thing you can say about know for sure it's duped or not: there is not one single fact that confirms a dupe... it's only speculation... or you have to be the duper to know it for sure... ;(

Cec
Pet Score:4796
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Cec » November 30th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Graven wrote:Seeing as you're using terms I've never even heard of "dupet, hackett" you probably know more on this subject than I do. I believe I read somewhere that duped pets are always level 6, but don't quote me on that.
Lol yes sorry about the language im not really into this, but basically im in the marked for the soul trader and spectral tiger cub and i wanted to know how you can avoid these duplicated pets. And how you can see it is a duplicated one. And what it means to be a duped pet. I mean basically if you can duplicate a pet, i guess you can dublicate everything else and nothing really has a value anymore since it can just be dublicated. (speculations)

But reality is that if you cant see its duplicated there isnt really any difference between the one who are duplicated and the ones who are not. So i guess it is save to buy a pet anywhere? And can blizzard delete the pet you buy cause it is a duped pet, despite the fact that you traded in good faith. I just think its a little risky to pay 100k for a pet and then blizzard delets it because its duped.

I dont really know someone who are really into this maybe help me understand this concept. And what it means to the pet marked if pets just can be duplicated like that and you cant see the difference?

This is taken from EU trade section:

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8329
I dont want to burst ur bubbel but here is the real storey.

U gave me A spectral tiger cub And o sended money to ur Paypal account but after i notifed the spectral tiger cub u sold me was A dupe i contact A gym about this to check if it indeed was A dupe And he confirm this.

I found this strange Because u had to do A /reload before A trade Also.
The GM destroyed the duped cub.

So yea dont call me A thief orso you are the one scanning ppl selling duped pets.

I have done alot of succesvol trading here And u are not one of them!

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » November 30th, 2013, 2:29 pm

There is no way to tell if a pet is duped. You can only go by your gut reaction to pick out likely dupes, and even then, with trading and reselling and stuff, after a while it becomes impossible to track what channels a pet has gone through.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » December 1st, 2013, 6:56 pm

The english in here oO

The GM in that case probably destroyed the pet because A: person was stupid enough to contact a GM saying he potentially had a duped pet and/or B: its illegal to pay with reallife currency for ingame stuff.

The only tell if a pet/mount is duped if by checking availability, notice pricecrashing and the obviously lvl1 characters in /2 selling the same type of pets on different realms. As we speak now theres 4 pets in the duping process: Dragon Kite, Rocket Chicken, Soul-Trader Beacon and the Spectral Tiger Cub. Latter two are interesting buys for collectors as they normally would cost 250k gold++ atleast but now you can get them for 100k each. The kite is down to 35k, normally would cost 70-100k but hard to say because its a BMAH pet aswell so that varies per realm. Rocket Chicken the same as kite roughly.

Use: http://www.wowtcgloot.com/auction_house.htm
A Tuskarr Kite only has like 10 entries because its not being duped atm, they are all real deals, honest people buying their IRL card trying to turn it into gold ingame - which is legal. A Soul-Trader Beacon which obviously is lower in printed cards and thus higher in price has 50 entries if not more and the price is crashing down for each week.

Goldsellers/hackers use this method to quickly gain gold on those realms they are short on supply on. Once the gold run out from hacked accounts on given realms/sides they go with duped pets and try to sell them quickly. Peoples legal money gets laundried and sold off to the person who bought gold. The goldselling companies has little to none expenses and earns money. In cataclysm they did this with mounts especially and you would see alot of mounts of same type on many realms. Blizzard is slow to act on these duping events but when they finally act, the goldsellers just shift over to new pets/mounts.

So if you want to pay for a legal pet/mount you'll have to pay for the expensive ones, but those are forced down in price by the honest sellers to maintain competetiveness. Being humans as we all are, we also tend to go with the cheapest solutions when presented with multiple offers. Why pay 800k for a Soul-Trader when theres a guy next to you in SW/OG thats willing to give it to you for 100k?

Gruumsh
Pet Score:2710
BattleTag®:Gruumsh#1655
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Gruumsh » December 1st, 2013, 10:35 pm

Lolfixheal wrote:
The english in here oO

The GM in that case probably destroyed the pet because A: person was stupid enough to contact a GM saying he potentially had a duped pet and/or B: its illegal to pay with reallife currency for ingame stuff.

So if you want to pay for a legal pet/mount you'll have to pay for the expensive ones, but those are forced down in price by the honest sellers to maintain competitiveness. Being humans as we all are, we also tend to go with the cheapest solutions when presented with multiple offers. Why pay 800k for a Soul-Trader when theres a guy next to you in SW/OG thats willing to give it to you for 100k?
Just to point out, a player that is reselling a duped pet might just price it high so players think it is a legit pet.
This does not solve the problem. I am pretty sure the reason why it is possible to dupe and sell pets with no or little repercussion is that pets current has no unique ID. If this is really the case a duped item is as good as a legit item, the only thing holding a player back is integrity issues upon finding out that the item is dupe.

I think the reason why the item was deleted was because of communication problems with the GM (GM cannot fully comprehend the individual and probably delete the item due to real currency purchase on a virtual item), as Lolfixheal has pointed out. Buying a TCG card with real currency and redeeming its code in booty bay is completely legit, I am not so sure about paying real currency for a existing virtual pet as it is against blizzard T&C to sell/buy virtual items for real currency.

Look at blizzard they are good with dupe and experience with dupe items, for example Diablo 2, they just patched in Unique ID for each item and solved the problem. Blizzard also implemented a warden program to periodically check for duped items and delete upon detection. This "Technology" has been used by blizzard for close to 10 years.

I guess the reason why pets have no unqiue ID is probably due to the nature of the pet system. They will have to code it in a way that obtaining a pet and using it on an account binds the pet unqiue item information. When it is caged the item will have the same Id instead of regenerating a new ID upon caging. If I can think of it, I am sure blizzard has thought of it, but they are slow on it probably due to patching issues or discovered new problems generated upon implementing it on closed beta.