Concerns about new expansion

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Draconero
Pet Score:9597
Realm:Xavius-eu
Concerns about new expansion

Post by Draconero » November 28th, 2013, 2:55 pm

So, I read that in WoD we will be able to breed pets.
the best quality the pets breeding, the higher the chances that your newly born will be of epic quality
and up to here all is fine.
But here comes the question: in order to breed 2 pets, you "should" need 2 of them...

Do I need to go out and catch them ALL again?

what do you think?

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Concerns about new expansion

Post by Luciandk » November 28th, 2013, 3:43 pm

It really depends on blizzards definition of breeding. If its true breeding that does not kill the parents, but might be on a lenghty cooldown. Or the parents is actually merged, fused into a new creature.

Draconero
Pet Score:9597
Realm:Xavius-eu

Post by Draconero » November 28th, 2013, 4:34 pm

but all that still implies 2 pets to start with, that means we need doubles

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » November 28th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Draconero wrote:but all that still implies 2 pets to start with, that means we need doubles
Well, here is my impression on how breeding might work.

A: B/B Ethereal Soul Trader

B: H/H Anubisath Idol

You order them to get down and dirty. You choose whom of the parents the child will take after, inheriting abilities and skin. And you can choose which of the parents breeds you want, H/H or B/B.

Theres a small chance for the child to be of epic quality, which you can improve by expending battlestones to empower the result.

Then the ability likely goes on a 7 day cooldown.

So you might get a H/H breed Ethereal Soul Trader, possibly epic as the result. Id imagine that such created pets are untradable to let the rare pets keep their value and desirability, as well preventing you from trading 'copies' of limited pets.

A cooldown to breeding is probably the best way of handling it, not consuming any pets. And as long you have a decent stable of pets with pets from all families with a large variety of breeds, it should be easy to grab a pet of a desired breed and family to make a lovely rare pet of same family, but with a poor breed into something far more useful.

Then it wont be a tedious excersize for players with a huge number of pets already, nor having to level oodles of doubles.

Beyonder
MVP
Pet Score:12531
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Beyonder » November 28th, 2013, 7:27 pm

I seriously doubt you will be able to breed pets from different familys. Like and aquatic and a magic pet. Blizz would not have a fish mating with a spider, lol. Hey, but I could be wrong.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » November 29th, 2013, 1:10 am

Beyonder wrote:I seriously doubt you will be able to breed pets from different familys. Like and aquatic and a magic pet. Blizz would not have a fish mating with a spider, lol. Hey, but I could be wrong.
Family limited only im sure.

Seqenenre
Pet Score:2682
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by Seqenenre » November 29th, 2013, 4:22 am

From what I've read, so far, it seems that one "parent" is consumed in the process of breeding, but you can pick which one. Sounds a bit like spider sex :shock:

It also appears to be within pet families only, rather than cross family, and there is talk that you can use battle stones during the breeding process to increase the chance of an epic pet.

Post by Guest » November 29th, 2013, 5:56 am

Nothing is finalised at the moment. @mumper on twitter has said that the plan is to have two pet slots. Primary (not consumed) and Secondary (consumed).

There may also be an additional slot if you want to use a "Pet Battle Stone" in the process to improve your chances of an epic pet (Shit idea tbh. Just means pet collectors will be forced into running every Pet Daily quest. I use the word forced in a non-literal sense.)

The combination will allow you to pick the Breed of the new pet.

Nothing else has been said.

Personally my take is that:

Pet Slot 1: Emperor Crab (wild pet) Level 25 Rare - HH Breed.
Pet Slot 2: Shore Crawler (cageable pet) Level 25 Rare HS Breed.
Battle Stone Slot: Flawless Aquatic Battle Stone (or Flawless Battle-Stone)

You will then be able to pick an already available breed type that is available to an Emperor Crab, so I select a P/P Emperor Crab. The game then decides internally whether it is Rare or Epic version pet and the pet is added to my Pet Log.
The Shore Crawler is then consumed in the process, now leaving me with 1 HH 25 Rare Emperor Crab and 1 PP 25 Rare Emperor Crab and 0 Shore Crawlers.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » November 29th, 2013, 7:27 am

Interesting news.

So you will only be able to edit breeds if the primary pet can have different breeds. that does put a crink in the thought of fixing the breeds of pets with poor ones.

Hrm, so the main attraction of breeding pets will be to create epic versions of them. Im sitting on 50+ battlestones, so Ive plenty to throw away.

Though I wonder if you will be able to duplicate limited pets in this way. Pets you breed more of would have to be made untradable or their value will plummet like a rock. Since it would effectively allow people to make endless amounts of copies of the highend rare tcg pets.

Even then, someone could borrow an original and 'copy' it to have a version of their own before handing it back, as long theyve a family specific pet to burn.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » November 29th, 2013, 9:11 am

Maybe the green battle stones will be useful now perhaps?
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » December 3rd, 2013, 11:08 am

It would really suck if you had to go back and get 2-3 of everything and I believe a holy war would break out if that was the case. I think breeds will be limited to families...no weird cross breeding like a dog and cat. I also think they will focus alot on wild pets you can caught, but throw something in there for trade purposes. I think before all is said and done epic pets will probably fight just epic pets in pet battles...but I expect the drop rate from breeding will be pretty low.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » December 3rd, 2013, 1:24 pm

I dont think blizzard have done any racial grouping beside overall family, aka like beast, flying, dragonkin etch and gender.

The species grouping done here on the site is player sorted.

Grog3514
Pet Score:3537
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Grog3514 » December 3rd, 2013, 3:55 pm

Shikon01 wrote:I think breeds will be limited to families...no weird cross breeding like a dog and cat.
Dogs and cats are actually both beasts so they should be able to breed.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » December 4th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Yes from the sound of things clefthoofs and spiders will be able to have...relations because they both beasts.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » December 4th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Dont think of it as traditional breeding. But more like some rather creative flesh shaping borrowed from the Mogu. Take 2x pets of the same family, dunk them in an animal pool and choose what traits you want to drain from the unfortunate victim. The survivor emerges, much more powerful.

Post by Guest » December 4th, 2013, 1:59 pm

Dakaf wrote:Maybe the green battle stones will be useful now perhaps?
From what I read, I don't believe this is the case. I got the impression green stones will help improve chances of getting a rare pet (in the event you breed 2 uncommon pets and throw in a green stone) and you'll only be able to use a blue stone with rare pets

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11331
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » December 4th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Well until something shows up on the PTS or Blizz makes an announcement, I'm hedging and getting a second of the ones I want I think I may want to breed and/or try for the epic.

Especially if one will be absorbed, I don't want to be scrambling for another Val'kyr (example) when WoD launches if I'm set on a specific pet to work on for an epic.

It's never really been explained why we some come in male or female only and some both or if that will be involved with the breeding. Lots of unknown speculation still.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » December 4th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Grog3514 wrote:
Shikon01 wrote:I think breeds will be limited to families...no weird cross breeding like a dog and cat.
Dogs and cats are actually both beasts so they should be able to breed.
wow !!! That will be something !!

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » December 4th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Here is how I understand that breeding will work (based on official posts about it)...

Pet A will set what species the "baby" will be.
Pet B will set what breed the "baby" will be.

Pet A is consumed, leaving the "baby" and Pet B.

So... to take the above example of:
Haevlyn wrote:Pet Slot 1: Emperor Crab (wild pet) Level 25 Rare - HH Breed.
Pet Slot 2: Shore Crawler (cageable pet) Level 25 Rare HS Breed.
Battle Stone Slot: Flawless Aquatic Battle Stone (or Flawless Battle-Stone)
...and assuming that Pet Slot 1 = Pet A (and sets the species), you would end up with a H/S Emperor Crab (which may or may not be epic quality) and keep the Shore Crawler.

Note that this eliminates the weird issues that would occur if you breed a unique pet or breed pets that you already have 3 of.
Last edited by Maizing on December 4th, 2013, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » December 4th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Honestly, I am a little disappointed. They don´t seem to be letting us go past 25... so really, what is the gameplay going to be?

Gathering a hundred or so wild pets, then get them to rare quality. (they will all be close to lvl 25)

After that? do 15 panda daily quests to get more battle-stones in order to RNG our way to some epic pets?

I believe what they are going for is that you have a pet you like.... but didn´t get it in the breed you want. So say you got your Unborn Valkre in BB.. but you would like to change it´s breed, so than you can mate it with any undead pet that has the exact breed you want (assuming it is something Unborn Valkre can already be??)... and then use a stone to have a chance for it to be epic. So the gameplay would be that you have to capture an undead wild pet in the breed you want your Valkre to be. I can buy that as far as gameplay.

I have two problems with it though. First is that I think it is very unlikely that the devs will ´force´ us to keep doing old content ( panda dailies) in order to increase our chances for epics. Most likely there will be a long CD on the process, and our abiltiy to get stones in the new content will make getting stones in pandaland unncessary. Like if the CD is 7 days, and you can fairly easily get 3-4 stones per week from new content. The other problem with the system is that there is nothing ingame that really explain breeds.. the percentage of players that know there are different breeds for pets is probably very small.... even avid collectors don´t understand HH BB etc. This seems like a pretty involved system that is very ´outside´ normal gameplay.

I am a very dedicated collector and do dailies almost every day.. and as far as the breed stuff goes, I could care less. i would do it every CD for the epic pets.... but there is nothing that difficult in the game that requires breeds. For pvp, I think it is a nightmare though... because stuff will get nerfed and players will rage if it is something the finally got an epic of the correct breed.