Am I the only one finding Spineclaw Crab impossible?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us
Re: Am I the only one finding Spineclaw Crab impossible?

Post by Gilneas » November 20th, 2013, 7:40 pm

I'm still surprised they haven't done anything to make this one easier to get. Seems to be significantly harder than the others (on most servers).

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » November 20th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Slab wrote:Yes, but using that theory of the flattened economy on your server ... how many pets that I can sell would it take to make the 5-10k? :p
More than on your own realm true, but it also depends on what you're selling. I've had some success selling there, but it takes a lot of patience. If you're selling maxed level pets it goes a bit better... I've sold 3 pets for just over 3k each. Not ideal in terms of gold making overall, but to get something I had trouble finding elsewhere? You betcha. Of course the risk is that if you buy it you'll end up running across the spineclaw on the Isle the very next day...

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » November 21st, 2013, 2:44 am

The crab spawns very sporadic..
Sometimes, it takes over 2 hours (131 minutes is max I've seen) other times, 2-3 minutes between spawn.. My guess is, it's a random proc of the smaller crabs, similar to TLPD is a rare spawn of Vyragosa in storm Peaks. This would mean, is noone kills the smaller elite crabs, the big pet-dropping one won't spawn.

Same thing seems to to be true for Death Adder/Imperial Python..

So far, I only miss the Imperial Python drop and Spirit of Jadefire drop..
I got lucky, and bought the crab for 2500g from chat on Timeless Isle..

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » November 21st, 2013, 5:10 pm

FuxieDK wrote:The crab spawns very sporadic..
Sometimes, it takes over 2 hours (131 minutes is max I've seen) other times, 2-3 minutes between spawn.. My guess is, it's a random proc of the smaller crabs, similar to TLPD is a rare spawn of Vyragosa in storm Peaks. This would mean, is noone kills the smaller elite crabs, the big pet-dropping one won't spawn.

Same thing seems to to be true for Death Adder/Imperial Python.
The rare crab works the same as the rare python and crane (might be a few others but can't think of them off the top of my head). It has a chance of spawning in place of the other crabs, so if no one kills any crabs, the rare will not spawn. Because the non-rare crabs are all over the shore of the island and even in the water, it makes it very hard to camp an area, and because players don't seem to kill crabs as much as the other animals, you just don't see as many of them versus the rare python and crane.

Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Slab » November 22nd, 2013, 4:46 pm

Peanutty wrote:The rare crab works the same as the rare python and crane (might be a few others but can't think of them off the top of my head). It has a chance of spawning in place of the other crabs, so if no one kills any crabs, the rare will not spawn. Because the non-rare crabs are all over the shore of the island and even in the water, it makes it very hard to camp an area, and because players don't seem to kill crabs as much as the other animals, you just don't see as many of them versus the rare python and crane.
I think you've gotten the mechanics correct (and yes, I'm am 95% sure it's the Crab, the Python and the Crane). However, I think the fact that they are spread around doesn't mean that less people are killing them .. it means that less people are WATCHING for them. I strongly suspect that in my time that I've spent on one beach killing crabs, the rare has shown up in one of the other areas ... and either it isn't shouted (because you're not gonna get there in time and can't explain to the non-pet collecting inhabitants why it's more important to shout it out), or not even SEEN. You can, for the most part, travel a direct circle for almost all of the python and crane spawns. You can't do a realistic trip around all the crane spots. So you're doing one area .. even if your efforts may result in him spawning in a different area. THAT'S what needs to change; the Monstrous should only spawn to replace a dead one, not anywhere because one was killed. Either make the mechanic different, or clump the spawn points better.

Jeslena
Pet Score:3240
Realm:Azgalor-us

Post by Jeslena » November 22nd, 2013, 8:31 pm

I actually think the spawn rate is actually lower than that of the other animals. On a low pop server I had a group of 3 other people trying to get the rare kill achievement killing crabs non-stop for 3 hours a day without seeing it spawn once. We gave up after the third day. The crane, python, frog and turtle all spawned multiple times during this time period. To give an idea of how many of the other animals were being killed, besides my group there were no more than 10 other people on the island at any other point. Most of them were farming Yangols for rep.

The rare Iron Fur Ox also seems to have a lower spawn rate as well, but people kill those regularly.

As for selling pets on the big servers, I find leveling up the pets helps a bit as by default higher level pets appear higher on the AH list.

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13815
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Killerkarl » November 23rd, 2013, 8:14 am

Thanks for the tip everyone. I made a DK on Illidan-H and was finally able to get a Spineclaw Crab and Viscous Horror. It took about 170,000 gold worth of pets from my server to sell on Illidan to buy them both, not too bad of a hit.

Slab
Pet Score:3088
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Slab » November 23rd, 2013, 12:05 pm

Sigh, well that certainly explains why the one reasonably priced Crab on Illidian disappeared while *I* was trying to get it ... :evil:

Arshadi
Pet Score:4464
Realm:Twisting Nether-us

Post by Arshadi » November 24th, 2013, 9:48 am

I was wondering if I'd ever manage to get this thing. The crabs on the Isle should have been extinct by now - so many deaths, haha. And my server's AH had never seen one.

I was doing a quick AH peek for a couple of crafting mats and decided to look just one more time, and there was a Spineclaw. Not just any Spineclaw: A P/P level 25 Spineclaw. For 2300 gold. I think I sat there in shock for a couple of seconds before hitting 'buyout'.

All this is to say that...you never know. Even on servers with a very active/competitive AH, there are often folks who simply don't know what they've got, or they don't care to check prices on other servers, and just want a quick sale. Keep checking.

Hadrimmdar
Pet Score:3695
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Hadrimmdar » November 25th, 2013, 8:54 am

wow, nice luck. I wonder if they forgot a 0 and meant to list it for 23,000?

Arshadi
Pet Score:4464
Realm:Twisting Nether-us

Post by Arshadi » November 25th, 2013, 9:30 am

Hadrimmdar wrote:wow, nice luck. I wonder if they forgot a 0 and meant to list it for 23,000?
I had the same thought. I play the AH very aggressively, but I'm not one to exploit an honest mistake, so I double-checked prices after I bought it, intending to contact the seller if the price seemed to be in error. But 23K would be far above the average price across servers. So it looks like the seller just didn't research.

Anyway, keep checking the AH. When there is a pet I really want, I've found it's always worth it to check frequently. Just in 5.3 - 5.4 I've had great luck on the AH with Ji-kun Hatchling, Son of Animus, Kovok, and now the Spineclaw.

Gracies
Pet Score:5026
BattleTag®:Graciepriest#1638
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Gracies » November 25th, 2013, 9:59 am

I have the pet but it was a trade. I still need to obtain it myself for the "need a bigger bag" achievement. I was wondering if anyone else wanting to obtain it for the achievement would be interested in starting a crab farming group. Let me know :).

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » November 25th, 2013, 11:56 am

I've never even seen the rare up, let alone trying to get the pet from it!

I've been camping the AH though, and was shocked to see the first one (ever) on my server go on there for 8k the other day. Yes, I grabbed it. Very quickly!
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » November 25th, 2013, 8:51 pm

I've killed 50 monsterous crabs at least and have yet to get the pet. This comes from hours of farming the crabs at the horde landing site. I've never seen it on the AH, and never got a response to any trade offers I posted here on the forums. This is a no go pet for me.

Droodics
Top Rater
Pet Score:3692
BattleTag®:Frozenlore#2917
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Droodics » November 26th, 2013, 10:37 am

I do not agree with some of you that say the spawn rate is the same as with the crane or snake. I am spending 1-2h killing crabs each day, and on my server it's allways full of people killing crabs, I've never see more than 3 crabs alive on each time. Same thing for horde side too.
I got my Rare Coordinator addon up, and spawn rate for it is about 1 per day at max. I've once came to isle just to see him dead near the flight master. My Rare Coordinator showed +1minute since killed.
I am still trying to get him killed, just for the achievement. But if pet drops I'll be a lucky bastard.
I am the type of person lucky only when I don't try to get something. For example, I got 2 Spirit of Jadefire drop in 2 kills.
Hope I get it soon, otherwise it's AH trading time for me.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » November 27th, 2013, 4:35 pm

The only one I've seen on Kirin Tor Alliance was 35k. Too steep for my blood. I'll keep killing crabs and hope for the best. Is it a 100% drop?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » November 27th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Talmar wrote:Is it a 100% drop?
Unfortunately, no. :( (But maybe it should be?)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Goldenarms
Pet Score:3251
Realm:Shu'halo-us

Post by Goldenarms » December 19th, 2013, 12:03 pm

My wife and I have been spending a couple hours a night farming the horde FP and the alliance FP. So far weve seen 3 Monstrous Spineclaws and of course gotten nothing. This is the most vicious grind Ive ever done.

Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Aislinge » December 22nd, 2013, 1:59 am

I grab one on the AH the other day for 5k. Sure, it was the H/H version but stuff it!

Keep looking on the AH - most on mine are now down to 15-20k but you'll always get someone who doesn't know the value and pops it on cheap.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » December 22nd, 2013, 6:44 am

Not been on my AH as far as I could tell, so I started watching for it on AHs on TN. 2-3 up at most for those 8-10k. Made a deal with Nuterx and got 15k gold on Ragnaros to shop for, found 1 PP for 5,5 and I hit BO straight away. Logged to my lvl1 on TN and theres 7! on AH, from 5-8k. Later the evening they were down to 3k oO!, Bought one for 3k and relisted 9k on my realm. 2 ppl interested immediately, was BOed some hours later :D

So yeah, best bet camp AHs of populated realms.