Share pet collecting news and advice.
Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us
Re: Pet Battle breeding!!

Post by Opallena » November 19th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Dolz wrote:Perhaps I've missed it, but there's a question I haven't seen asked yet. Will pet breeding have a CD? Personally I hope it does just to slow the flood of epics.
I'm thinking it will for a while, then be removed in a later patch once people have gotten around to getting epics of the majority of their collections. How long that CD may be if it is implemented though is what worries me- anything longer than a daily reset will be annoying.

Thaysula
Pet Score:6596
BattleTag®:Thaysula#1842
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Thaysula » November 19th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Opallena wrote:
Dolz wrote:Perhaps I've missed it, but there's a question I haven't seen asked yet. Will pet breeding have a CD? Personally I hope it does just to slow the flood of epics.
I'm thinking it will for a while, then be removed in a later patch once people have gotten around to getting epics of the majority of their collections. How long that CD may be if it is implemented though is what worries me- anything longer than a daily reset will be annoying.
Since it's in the Garrison it may not have a cooldown it might take X mins/hours of Real Life Time.
You settle the two down in the Pet Stable and wander off for an hour to let them do there thing.....

Duroxas
Top Rater
Pet Score:6333
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Duroxas » November 20th, 2013, 1:31 am

Perhaps they could set it so that you can only have one mega Epic pet on your team? It would add the additional game play element of choice in team composition - Do I want to use the epic rabbit? The epic crow? Epic anubisath?

Mirres
Pet Score:1815
BattleTag®:Mirres#1719
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Mirres » November 21st, 2013, 1:11 pm

I've been thinking about pet breeding a lot lately. I am very far behind on my pet collecting, but it occurs to me that rare pets may actually go up in value after the new expansion hits.

Pet breeding will require two pets and one disappears, for a very small chance at an epic. I foresee me going g through all my extra wild-caught rares and still needing more to get everything to epic.

I am both incredibly excited and dreading all the prep to get started on epic breeding quickly.

Post by Guest » November 22nd, 2013, 6:11 am

I'm dreading having to farm 1.5 hours of Pandaria Pet dailies for Battle Stones just to improve my chances at an epic pet.

Why should I have to do MoP content to play the new WoD expansion? This idea seems stupid to me.

Make the "Epic" a daily quest from the garrison that has a chance to provide an Epic Battle Stone. I mean hell, the Stone is already in the game files:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=92740/

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » November 22nd, 2013, 7:36 am

So what would be on your ' must - have " breed list ? I'm still trying to get a 2nd unborn val'kyr. Of course love playing w/ fire on my lil Ragaros, fel fire and fiendish imp, love DM tonk, clockwork Gnome and Anubisath Idol. No doubt will have to add some variety when I sit down and go through my list of haves and have- nots.

Ezereal
Pet Score:1386
BattleTag®:MrE#1750
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Ezereal » November 22nd, 2013, 8:14 am

Personally I think it is a horrible idea. I spent a lot of hours and time trying to get the rares that I have now and I don't want to turn them into sex machines so I can have epics. ;_; but if I want to stay competitive than I have no choice.

Mirres
Pet Score:1815
BattleTag®:Mirres#1719
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Mirres » November 22nd, 2013, 8:20 am

my Epic breeding plan will prioritize fighting pets, and getting unique pets better breeds. my mechanical panda dragon and H/S rabbit are on the list, if I'm still leveling g pets by then.

Definitely going to work on the unborn val'kyr. assuming I get one.

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11384
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » November 22nd, 2013, 5:51 pm

I'm looking forward to the idea of breeding battle pets, how Blizzard chooses to handle it does concern me some as it could be an additional great mini game or not.

I don't really like the idea of losing a pet to gain a pet. I 'assumed' you'd breed two and produce one that was the same (poor/uncommon/rare - release), better breed (keep), epic (do a happy dance!). I hope they're NOT cageable (wild caught) unless there is a long cooldown so the market won't be flooded. But I think it would be a viable way for pet collectors to make some $$ (kind of like a crafting profession) breeding the already cageable ones or a random pet 'born' that is cageable.

Also, not a big fan of breeding any pet or group (any elemental to any elemental ex), but rather have them stick to their species - rabbit to rabbit or spider to spider. For the pets that come in only male/female, I'd think they could add the other sex in or make it a 'clone' versus an actual breeding, IDK!

If Blizz really wants to make it fun have a very random rate of a "new rabbit" being born that would be cageable/tradeable, etc.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this, I hope it's not to easy to get epic pets or it will be disappointing having spent such a chunk of time collecting/upgrading to rares, only for them to become completely obsolete. Definitely don't want it to turn into a gear progression mini game!

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » November 22nd, 2013, 10:23 pm

Personally, I think the only way Blizzard can do this and keep everyone happy is by making it so ONLY pets we can catch during battles in the wild or ones from common vendors can be bred/merged. This way, you can easily replace them if the breeding process fails, there's no chance of getting rid of a pet that cost you money (TCG, Blizz Store pets!) or days of farming (Hyacinth Macaw, Whelplings!).

I'm not opposed to this. Odds are, most PvP people will spend the first few days breeding a Flayer Youngling, while all PvE people will be hunting for more Unborn Val'kyr's to epic-fy.

Perhaps the Raiding With Leashes pets could be included as well, but since they stated we could get the breed we wanted from breeding, I'm leaning more towards just wild pets. You can't trade them, so the market will never be flooded with them and they'll just be for your personal collection.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » November 23rd, 2013, 9:05 am

I agree that the breeding will deal mainly with the wild pets...of course I expect Blizz will probably throw in a curve ball and allow something extra in for breeding, but it just makes sense that brreding will be limited to wild pets.

Mystik_sok
Pet Score:10833
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Mystik_sok » November 24th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Shikon01 wrote:I agree that the breeding will deal mainly with the wild pets...of course I expect Blizz will probably throw in a curve ball and allow something extra in for breeding, but it just makes sense that brreding will be limited to wild pets.
I don't know that it will be limited to wild pets. From what I heard at Blizzcon my first thought was it would involving the breeding of two pets where Pet 1 would determine the Pet to be created and Pet 2 the breed of which pet 1 would become. With the possibility of an improvement in rarity. I would assume they will have limits on what can breed with what, like crabs with crabs and what not, but I don't see why they would limit it too much since I assume you would always breed a wild pet as Pet 2 (or easy to get pet at least).

I also expect there to be a substantial timer, probably 24-48 hours. Since Garrisons are per character I assume some of us more insane pet folks will be leveling alts constantly.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » November 25th, 2013, 7:00 am

Mystik_sok wrote:
Shikon01 wrote:I agree that the breeding will deal mainly with the wild pets...of course I expect Blizz will probably throw in a curve ball and allow something extra in for breeding, but it just makes sense that brreding will be limited to wild pets.
I don't know that it will be limited to wild pets. From what I heard at Blizzcon my first thought was it would involving the breeding of two pets where Pet 1 would determine the Pet to be created and Pet 2 the breed of which pet 1 would become. With the possibility of an improvement in rarity. I would assume they will have limits on what can breed with what, like crabs with crabs and what not, but I don't see why they would limit it too much since I assume you would always breed a wild pet as Pet 2 (or easy to get pet at least).

I also expect there to be a substantial timer, probably 24-48 hours. Since Garrisons are per character I assume some of us more insane pet folks will be leveling alts constantly.

The Alts for more garrisons could happen but I don't think as much as expected though.
Due to fact if garrisons go live as shown buildings and upgrading buildings cost like 100k each.
Not sure what the pet one would be but garrisons will be pricey and very time consuming to run and operate.
Which I believe is the plan, also not sure if it limited to one a fiction side per account and if all Alts share a garrison.

Mystik_sok

Post by Mystik_sok » November 25th, 2013, 9:34 am

Digem wrote:The Alts for more garrisons could happen but I don't think as much as expected though.
Due to fact if garrisons go live as shown buildings and upgrading buildings cost like 100k each.
Not sure what the pet one would be but garrisons will be pricey and very time consuming to run and operate.
Which I believe is the plan, also not sure if it limited to one a fiction side per account and if all Alts share a garrison.
No sure how pricey they can make them and still have them function. Blizzard has said that relatively few characters have near the xfer cap which is what 50k? Plus these are being built in an expansion zone which means we're not even sure we'll return or even use them in WoW 7.0. I've heard that there's a picture of a 12k upgrade, but most the pics I can find the currency doesn't even look like gold, but more like stone or something else. I kinda suspect that your followers will gather resources, kind of like the old warcraft games.

Jimmer
Pet Score:9537
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Jimmer » December 10th, 2013, 3:20 am

sounds a bit disappointing if it's pet A (bb) + B(ss) = A(ss) and a chance for it to be epic I was hoping for pet c .

Dagris
Top Rater
Pet Score:9380
BattleTag®:Dugoth#1259
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Dagris » December 10th, 2013, 3:30 pm

I'm not personally a fan of "destructive" pet breeding, I'd prefer to see a system where both the parent pets are retained but the child pet is not cageable and/or there's a 1 day cooldown on the parents before they can be used for breeding again

Mystik_sok

Post by Mystik_sok » December 10th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Dagris wrote:I'm not personally a fan of "destructive" pet breeding, I'd prefer to see a system where both the parent pets are retained but the child pet is not cageable and/or there's a 1 day cooldown on the parents before they can be used for breeding again
I really don't see a system where some pets (TCG/Drops) are cagable but the same kind of pet from breeding isn't or where the cagable pet supply could be increased via breeding, which leaves me to think it will be a replace type system where you will either have the same number of pets when done, or fewer.

I would also assume since epic pets can be created via this method, the cooldown will be at least a day, if not longer.