Share pet collecting news and advice.
Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us
Blizzcon announcement speculation!

Post by Doobjanka » November 1st, 2013, 12:15 am

This is purely my speculation based on my experience with WoW and Blizzcon over the past 9 years!

First, in 2011 remember how popular the Annual Pass was with free Diablo III and Tyrael's Charger? I'm expecting them to make another thing like that available. It's a good retention tool. Yeah, nothing to do with pets, but I'm 80% sure this will happen.

More pet stuff? Of course. Personally, I hope they don't add breeding because I'm having a heck of a time turning off Pokemon X. I can't imagine if the pets I know and love in WoW could be bred and traded. WoW's version of "shiny" pets (Probably epic pets!) have been mentioned since MoP came out, so if they aren't adding more levels (Please don't!) to the pets, imagine even rarer encounter battle pets out there. Pet collectors are meticulous. How many of us spent 5.1-5.3 upgrading all our pets to rare quality? Of course we'd spend months looking for epic pets just for the prestige.

Pet battle group scenarios. Pet battling is a fun solo experience in WoW, but WoW is meant to be a social game. Imagine queueing with some fellow battle enthusiasts to take on the Celestial Tournament. Pet battle end-game content.

MoP will go down as the greatest expansion to happen to pet collectors. What kind of things do you think Blizz has in store for pet collectors or battlers?
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Blizzcon announcement speculation!

Post by Quintessence » November 1st, 2013, 1:15 am

I honestly don't know what to expect, but I do have some ideas and hopes!

Finally give us the ability to summon more than one pet at a time? An item reward? Spell? Please, please, please please?! :lol:

More "vanity endgame" in the form of Pet Breeding purely for vanity to get unique skins. Taking the idea above into account, say you have a white rabbit out along with a brown rabbit (doesn't take into account sex or maybe it does; depends on how complicated they make it). You would have a random chance (or maybe it would require some action or item so you can't just AFK breed pets) of the rabbits "mating" and receiving a baby that's either colored white, brown, spotted, or any other color/scheme.

Pets of different types and families wouldn't be able to breed, so no mutant rabbit-sha-ling-giraffe babies lol. "New" pets that are a result of breeding wouldn't be any different in terms of stats, abilities, and battling than their parents. This would be mainly for completionists who want to collect all possible pet colors/patterns.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Snowwie
Pet Score:8671
Realm:The Venture Co-eu

Post by Snowwie » November 1st, 2013, 3:53 am

Since they got server first achiefments for about everything in game, i would love to see one of that regarding petbatlle/collection or anything that involves pets. What i sure dont want to hear is that we have to lvl them all to lvl 30 or something :)

kind regards

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » November 1st, 2013, 6:02 am

I think breeding could bring a whole bunch of new and interesting things to pet collecting.

First off , I agree with no new hybrid looking pet should come from the breeding( no rabbit/giraffe thingie).
Instead "borrow" from Pokemon's breeding.
Make one the male or the female be how it should look and the other male or female what moves you want to learn.
Meaning any breed could only breed in its own class critter with critter, flyer with flyer etc...
But if they make it that it would look like the male in the breeding process if I mixed a male bat with a female crow it would come out looking like a bat. But pick up moves from the female crow.

Now what would that do?
It would mean a bat could have call darkness and nocturnal strike.
Making them much more usable.
This could make for some interesting moves together with some pets and make
Pvp pet battling have many different pets out there and more interesting.
Also more
Challenging if the clever breeder one is facing.

As for changing the appearance make that only possible if one mixes say rabbit with rabbit.
Make the cosmetic move require same type of pet but let breeding for moves be in same class type.

Just think this could be very interesting and fun and have people out in the world looking for the male or female per they need to breed moves on.

Stoutspectre
Pet Score:4473
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Stoutspectre » November 1st, 2013, 9:56 pm

There are more constructive ways to keep pet enthusiasts busy than by adding "epic" stones, so I hope that their challenge in finding a place for those is indicative of their hesitation to tip the scales.

More pet battle scenarios are an excellent idea! I'd love to see some, possibly driven by narrative. This may be getting away from the kind of stuff they typically do, but I'd really love a Sunsong Ranch-esque instanced zone to go and see some of my pets (seeing all of them would probably be a logistics nightmare on the tech side). You can possibly tie that into breeding, somehow. If they ever do player housing, optional pet inclusion is a must.

As for what I actually expect, I think it'll likely be the inclusion of epic stones already in the game's files and a few Blizzard Store pets.
There isn't much on the merch side for pet fans, so I'd like to see that change. My girlfriend did make me an awesome Dragonkin stone, but I'd like to see something official, too!

Nursie
Pet Score:4675
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us

Post by Nursie » November 2nd, 2013, 4:09 am

loads of stuff I want to see added :)

1. Arcane pet merging - Merges 2 pets together to combine the appearance and mix skills/stats up between the 2, creating a completely unique pet. If anyone has played Jade Cocoon, a system like that is what I'd like to see.

2. Pet battle instances - Think like Pokemon gyms with some trash trainers and a boss. These could reward battle stones and other pet items (possibly pet battle gear?).

3. More customisation - some pet battle gear/gems/items and another ability slot would add lots more depth and make your pets feel more unique.

4. Mono-type challenges - Beating a challenge with pets of only the same type for example all beasts, this could be done with achievements, instances or a mix of both. The rewards could be titles, pets and xmog gear to match the type of pets you used for the challenge.

5. More unique skills - Some pets deserve their own unique skills/spells that no other pets has to make them stand out more and make that pet feel a bit more special when you own one.

6. More pets - obviously.

7. More levels - ^

Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Yazhi » November 2nd, 2013, 5:59 am

Stoutspectre wrote:There are more constructive ways to keep pet enthusiasts busy than by adding "epic" stones, so I hope that their challenge in finding a place for those is indicative of their hesitation to tip the scales.

More pet battle scenarios are an excellent idea! I'd love to see some, possibly driven by narrative. This may be getting away from the kind of stuff they typically do, but I'd really love a Sunsong Ranch-esque instanced zone to go and see some of my pets (seeing all of them would probably be a logistics nightmare on the tech side). You can possibly tie that into breeding, somehow. If they ever do player housing, optional pet inclusion is a must.

As for what I actually expect, I think it'll likely be the inclusion of epic stones already in the game's files and a few Blizzard Store pets.
There isn't much on the merch side for pet fans, so I'd like to see that change. My girlfriend did make me an awesome Dragonkin stone, but I'd like to see something official, too!

That's actually really cool! I love quirky and individual things and it looks great :)

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » November 2nd, 2013, 12:53 pm

I don't expect any major pet related announcements. Blizzcon is usually a time for big annoucements and changes, but I imagine that largely what we are going to see from pet battles is new pets and new quest objectives. Not really what they would announce at Blizzcon since its more specific. They're happy with the system and don't want to complicate it so I don't expect any announcements of that nature (i.e., no new qualities, levels, ability slots, etc).

But yeah, pretty sure there will be another annual pass. Maybe it will give a pet too!

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » November 2nd, 2013, 1:13 pm

I doubt they'll add breeding; it would make Pet battles far too much like pokemon. I would like to see epic pets eventually, would make some of the legendary tamer encounters much easier and less based on RNG. For new pet levels.... I dont see that happening till late next xpack at the earliest, probably the xpack after. Here's my big question though:

When will we get that baby shark they keep saying we'll get??????

Ebil
Pet Score:11957
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Ebil » November 2nd, 2013, 1:28 pm

I think they may change how battle stones work, as it stands now there is really no need for the green battle stones at all. For the green battle stones to have some value they could make it so that you can only use flawless battle stones on uncommon pets only.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » November 4th, 2013, 10:41 am

I really really HOPE they don't change anything!

A new expansion with a new continent full of wild pets

Next installment of raiding with leashes

This will be fine for the expansion patch!

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » November 4th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Gromagrim wrote:I really really HOPE they don't change anything!

A new expansion with a new continent full of wild pets

Next installment of raiding with leashes

This will be fine for the expansion patch!
Blizzard did mention during one of the interviews/QA sessions (dunno which one) that they wanted to do epic pets, but they didn't feel MoP was the right time to do it. (I completely agree on the RWL installment though; cata hasnt had any pets in its raids yet, and there's room for some cool ones there!)

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Ligre » November 5th, 2013, 12:43 am

The only thing I'd ask Blizz to keep the same...is the pet max level. There is absolutely no need to go beyond 25. If they're gonna have epic catch-able pets, that is one thing...but I see no reason to force players to level toons through and grind new lore/content just to re-reach max pet level.

That said, I'm fine with a "next" tier up for a LIMITED amount of NEW battle pets...as long as if I go into a Find Battle queue with 3 rare (blue) quality pets, that I don't get unfairly matched up against someone who has a max level epic pet...or 2 or 3. I've been good, Santa...please grant me my wish list this year!

Stoutspectre

Post by Stoutspectre » November 9th, 2013, 6:09 am

Stoutspectre wrote: This may be getting away from the kind of stuff they typically do, but I'd really love a Sunsong Ranch-esque instanced zone to go and see some of my pets
Hey, I wasn't far off!
Can anyone else there confirm what others who went to Blizzcon are saying about select pets having a stable in your Garrison? That sounds pretty neat.
Azaelia wrote: That's actually really cool! I love quirky and individual things and it looks great :)
She'd be delighted to hear her work was appreciated, thank you!

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » November 9th, 2013, 9:07 am

I kinda figured there will be a stable w/ the garrison,but hunter pets come to mine for that. I do think it would be awesome if they did incorporate pets for this in some way. Like everyone else I would like to see some epic stones drop randomly so both hardcore and causal players get a shot at upgrading pets to epic. Yes, I'm one of those causal players just hit 90 recently, but love pet battles. :D Like some of you I am fine w/ pets staying at level 25 and I have plenty to level at that. I expect more variety of pet battles ; however, I don't really see them jumping into breeding and babies mama stuff until later down the road.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » November 9th, 2013, 10:05 am

They said at the WoW panel that having a bunch of your pets running around your Garrison is something the are/will consider. So with how they answered the question I'm assuming it's not implemented yet but is something they may do.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Stoutspectre

Post by Stoutspectre » November 9th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Okay, so I went and watched the panel that confirmed and showed the pet stable today, hopefully more information surfaces soon.
Very exciting!

Mizix
Top Rater
Pet Score:7887
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Mizix » November 9th, 2013, 6:22 pm

I am a little disappointed that no panel really talked about Pet Battles at all (besides that Pet Stable in the garrison). I wish Blizz would have told us their plans for pet battles (more levels, epic stones, new ways of acquiring pets, ....). I understand they had limited time and this is not the most sensitive topic, but still, it would have been nice to hear something more about it :(

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » November 9th, 2013, 6:35 pm

This is the only thing i can see:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3545-World-of-Warcraft-Q-A
There aren't any major changes planned for the pet battle system, just additions of new pets, trainers, and buildings in your garrison.

Pretty disappointing. Looks like Garrisons will be the sole major 'sidegame' content feature for WoD

Brisela

Post by Brisela » November 9th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Well he did say after taking a year off so if you how to read between the lines...