Share pet collecting news and advice.
Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us
Color changing pets

Post by Doobjanka » October 24th, 2012, 4:35 am

I was going through the comments for finding a Cat when I came across "when a pet is tamed as a secondary, it will change color through the spawns as opposed to staying static. Any pet tamed as a secondary will switch".

Did everyone else know about this? Why was I not informed?
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Mushalor
Top Rater

Re: Color changing pets

Post by Mushalor » October 24th, 2012, 5:02 am

Doobjanka wrote:I was going through the comments for finding a Cat when I came across "when a pet is tamed as a secondary, it will change color through the spawns as opposed to staying static. Any pet tamed as a secondary will switch".

Did everyone else know about this? Why was I not informed?
It's a "known" bug--as in multiple reports from various people, including myself, but not exactly widely realised regardless--and finally being addressed in 5.1. Supposedly.
Fixed an issue that would prevent some pets captured in Pet Battles from correctly saving their skin color once added to the Pet Journal.
It made capturing quite a few of the rare quality versions of unique skins a PITA.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 24th, 2012, 5:42 am

I'm sad that they're fixing this. :( I adore my color-changers.

Also, it was never confirmed 100% that only captured secondary pets will have different skins each time they're summoned. I think it's random which ones change.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Croxy
MVP
Pet Score:2009
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Post by Croxy » October 24th, 2012, 11:21 pm

I did notice my "emerald" boa was crimson when I used him to help me catch a wharf rat. >.>

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » October 24th, 2012, 11:39 pm

I kind of like the random color changes.

Meiska
Pet Score:4150
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Meiska » October 25th, 2012, 4:37 am

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for posting. As for my opinion on it, I don't really know how to feel about it. I always wondered if pets with different skins would have more than 3 skins. I'm a completionist and was going to work on getting all the diff skins but worried if there would be more than 3.

Mushalor
Top Rater

Post by Mushalor » October 25th, 2012, 10:56 pm

Meiska wrote:I wasn't aware of this, thanks for posting. As for my opinion on it, I don't really know how to feel about it. I always wondered if pets with different skins would have more than 3 skins. I'm a completionist and was going to work on getting all the diff skins but worried if there would be more than 3.
Some do have more than 3 skins to them. Some of those are shared across multiple pets with the same model, too. There are even some that have several skins tied uniquely to that pet, even if it shares models with other pets.

An example would be Parrot, which--according to this site--has 8 available skins total to this particular pet. Parrot also shares a model with 6 other pets: Polly, Senegal, Cockatiel, Green Wing Macaw, Hyacinth Macaw, and Miniwing. Of those models and their skins, Parrot has 2 skins uniquely tied to it: a brown w/ black, red, and yellow speckling on the wings, and dark red with black/blue markings on its wings. The rest of its skins can be found elsewhere across the shared model with some of the others.

Another that does this that I spent a lot of time tracking down and getting (due to the aforementioned issue of colour-changers when arriving as secondaries and tertiaries in battle) was the Scarab Hatchling, which has 2 skins unique to it as well (two jewel tones not found on the other scarab pets).

Meiska

Post by Meiska » October 26th, 2012, 11:31 pm

That's so informative THANKS! I'll be on the lookout on this. Suddenly I think I'm going to have to write all this down somewhere to track that sort of info.

Mushalor
Top Rater

Post by Mushalor » October 27th, 2012, 5:49 am

You're more than welcome. I've been almost exclusively experimenting with pet battles through capturing, battling, and leveling across the various zones, and often returning for the more elusive pets or to level up more, so I've amassed a bit of information on the weirder things like this.

As far as a list goes, I've been slowly (very slowly, mind, given I'm one person) compiling notes together in a Google document on Google Drive. If you're interested I can hand over the link to it for your perusal, although I can't speak for the veracity on spawn information. Between that information being based on my own anecdotal (thus admittedly flawed by design) experimenting and the variables of RNG, CRZ, and competition across servers, my experiences may not resonate with others as accurately as I might like.

Meiska

Post by Meiska » October 28th, 2012, 7:54 am

Sure if you don't mind sharing. Every little bit helps. I haven't got to pet battle as much as I'd like. Being an officer, raid team member, and general gamer (Torchlight 2 + Borderlands 2 + MOP? The gaming industry needs to bend time for me), it's been a rough month!

Edain33

Post by Edain33 » October 28th, 2012, 9:00 am

I hope they keep the "color changers" as I quite like them, so far I found a rare cat as a secondary in Netherstorm that goes through all the cat "looks" and an Oasis Moth in Uldum that does the same.

I've checked on other pets I have and those so far are the only 2 I have found, the other pets I am collecting each in it's skin

hope this info helps thx

Mushalor
Top Rater

Post by Mushalor » October 28th, 2012, 11:43 am

Meiska wrote:Sure if you don't mind sharing. Every little bit helps. I haven't got to pet battle as much as I'd like. Being an officer, raid team member, and general gamer (Torchlight 2 + Borderlands 2 + MOP? The gaming industry needs to bend time for me), it's been a rough month!
Haha, you sound very busy!

I did try to PM you a couple of times in the past day or so, but I keep getting errors, so I'll just leave my response here.

The link, if this even works for handing it out to others, is http://tinyurl.com/battle-pet-info.

I'm in the process of revamping and updating, so only levels 1-6 are available, but I'll be finishing up and rolling out the others by the 31st. Let me know what you think, if you get a chance, and I hope it proves useful.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » October 28th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Wow, there is an insane amount of information here. You packed so much in there and kept it in such a simple and easy to follow format. Awesome job, and thanks for sharing it.

Mushalor
Top Rater

Post by Mushalor » October 29th, 2012, 5:20 am

NathKnave wrote:Wow, there is an insane amount of information here. You packed so much in there and kept it in such a simple and easy to follow format. Awesome job, and thanks for sharing it.
I've been working really hard to compress as much info as possible while keeping it easy to browse, because frankly, I get overwhelmed really easy, and my roommate even more so, by a deluge of information at once. Actually, my roommate's why I began such a huge undertaking as this in the first place, since they finally are getting into the pet battling with me, and I figure, if I'm sharing information with them, I might as well try and help out other pet collectors/battlers. I've gotten mixed results in sharing on the official pet battle forums thus far, so your words are definitely much-needed encouragement, thank you!

Also, I feel kind of bad, like I hijacked this thread, so I'll probably toss up a thread of my own later on, for nattering about this project further.

Equeon
Pet Score:3101
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Equeon » October 29th, 2012, 3:27 pm

I'm one of those people who want to have the majority of their pets maintain unique looks.
For example, I want the green and red Scarab Hatchlings, the regular blue Tol'Vir Scarab, and the brown Sand Scarab.
Thus, over three pets I have all unique skins of the scarab beetle.

Now what if the Scarab Hatchling was a color-changer as a primary pet as well? Not only would it throw off my collection, but it means I can't have a color-coordinated pet name (my green one is named Avocado and my red named Pomegranate).

Meiska

Post by Meiska » October 29th, 2012, 10:37 pm

This is beautiful!! Thanks so much for sharing. I have no idea why you're having problems PMing me in the site. I've never PM'ed anyone here before so I'm not sure.

Mushalor
Top Rater

Post by Mushalor » October 30th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Equeon wrote:I'm one of those people who want to have the majority of their pets maintain unique looks.
For example, I want the green and red Scarab Hatchlings, the regular blue Tol'Vir Scarab, and the brown Sand Scarab.
Thus, over three pets I have all unique skins of the scarab beetle.

Now what if the Scarab Hatchling was a color-changer as a primary pet as well? Not only would it throw off my collection, but it means I can't have a color-coordinated pet name (my green one is named Avocado and my red named Pomegranate).
Yeah, that would be the primary reason the colour-changing bug bothers me so much. I can understand why it appeals to most (and I know it's actually fairly popular with hunters) but when I hunt down those specific, unique skins to collect, it gets frustrating super fast when all I see are the ones secondary or tertiary in battle, meaning they won't keep those unique looks.

Thankfully, none of the primaries seem to have ever been affected by this bug, AND the whole thing will be addressed in 5.1.
Meiska wrote:This is beautiful!! Thanks so much for sharing. I have no idea why you're having problems PMing me in the site. I've never PM'ed anyone here before so I'm not sure.
You're welcome! And I have no clue either. You're the first I ever tried, given I haven't been on this site very long.

Sesamee
Pet Score:7258
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Sesamee » October 30th, 2012, 5:46 pm

I'm another one who doesn't like this bug at all. I want specific colors and I don't like when they change. Personally this can't be fixed soon enough. Also it's not only secondaries who change. I've had secondaries never change and primaries change. I think it's random but occurs more frequently in certain families like snakes, scorpids (how you elude me, rare pink scorpid!!), and cats.

Piekid
Pet Score:11041
Realm:Moonrunner-us

Post by Piekid » November 15th, 2012, 1:42 pm

I like the color changing pets, and have gone out of my way to tame them as secondaries! For me, with the color changing, I have all the skins in one pet, and can have the other pets for completion's sake without having to worry about the skins, and only have to level the color changing one and I'll have all the skins available on one high level pet.

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » November 15th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Piekid wrote:I like the color changing pets, and have gone out of my way to tame them as secondaries! For me, with the color changing, I have all the skins in one pet, and can have the other pets for completion's sake without having to worry about the skins, and only have to level the color changing one and I'll have all the skins available on one high level pet.
Exactly!!