What do you do with Multiples?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Draugarögnir
Pet Score:1187
Realm:Blade's Edge-eu
What do you do with Multiples?

Post by Draugarögnir » October 17th, 2012, 1:19 pm

So, what do you people do with multiple versions of the same pet?

I understand there's no real reason to keep them, but I cannot always bring myself to not catching a Rare if I have the chance... I still hope Blizzard will eventually allow us to cage them and sell them on the AH, maybe with some restrictions like raising it 10 levels or keeping him at least 90 days or so (to prevent farming). Not because I desperately want to make money but more that it seems like a waste to not save a Rare pet.

Another matter are the multiple pre-Pandaria pets. I have quite a lot of those, because I was collecting on all of my alts. So I have a lot of especially the commonly available pets. I like to keep the unique feature of having 8 or 9 similar pets. but again I know it's not of any use. And I probably need the slots anyway, because there is a max of 500 pets (allegedly 650 after patch 5.1)

Speaking of which: I usually cannot catch a new pet if I own 499 - I would assume there is still room for just 1, but apparently not so. But abut three days ago or so, I all of a sudden had 510 pets?? No idea whether I just kept on catching, or that the counter was bugged. I have been cleaning up and now own like 487 or so.

Cykotyks
Top Rater
Pet Score:2603
Realm:Nazgrel-us

Re: What do you do with Multiples?

Post by Cykotyks » October 17th, 2012, 4:32 pm

I caged and sold multiples I had of pre-MoP pets (or attempted to, anyway; I still have a few unwanted dragonhawk hatchlings). Turned out to be really lucky because I'd moved to a new server and got a nice chunk of starting gold from it! xD

I've been catching any rare I see (for the achievement) and then releasing it. I had to work up to it because initially I felt bad about letting them go! But I figure it's better that they're free to be somebody else's pet instead of sitting in my journal all not-special :P

Elriel
Pet Score:2142
Realm:Nera'thor-eu

Post by Elriel » October 17th, 2012, 5:48 pm

After 5.0.4 hit I think I was at about 750. Then I started do delete if I had more than 3 of a kind. That brought me to about 370.
After MoP that number went up because of the wild pets. I didn't want to delete more pets. So I asked my friends which of my duplicates were missing in their collections and caged those if possible. In the end I try to only have one of each pet. So I have to delete those untradeables soon.
Now to the rare wild pets. I catch every pet once, to have it in the list. Then I try to get a rare version to replace it. Depending on my wish to use it for battles i have to look for certain breeds also.

With the next patch i hope to just upgrade the pets, so i don't have to go rare-hunting more than necessary. Does anyone know if the pets keep their breed after upgrading?

Draugarögnir

Post by Draugarögnir » October 18th, 2012, 11:16 am

Thanks for the feedback, folks :)

I've started to delete all the doubles of the wild pets... I still can't bring myself to dispose of the non-wild (pre-pandaria) ones, especially the special ones like the halloween pumpkin (iirc yoy get that when you've defeated the Headless Horseman). I'd rather sell them on the AH but I'd better raise them a few levels otherwise there''s no reason why people would prefer them over the ones you can simply obtain from a vendor.

Draugarögnir

Post by Draugarögnir » October 18th, 2012, 3:59 pm

I just run into the 4th Rare Skunk right now, in Terrokar Forest. I'ver never actually seen a Common or Poor Skunk, and only one Uncommon (which I released afcter catching the Rare).

Mathew013
MVP
Pet Score:3694
Realm:Ghostlands-us

Post by Mathew013 » October 19th, 2012, 9:44 am

Well, I'm glad other people have more than the supposedly '3 cap' - I have 6 copies of the singing flower!
I haven't had the heart to purge them yet. If I can cage something, I usually send it to a friend or guildie.

>> Mathew

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » October 19th, 2012, 11:09 am

I cage them or release them. I had to create a new bank alt just to store all my caged pets. Most of them will never sell. All the tabby cats and moths etc. I had 8 squashlings and wolpertingers etc. Haven't deleted them yet but don't know what to do with them.

The rarer ones like Pengu and Tiny Shale Spider I post on the AH every once in a while.

My ally character has enough marks to buy every one of the champion pets but those aren't selling either.

Sesamee
Pet Score:7258
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Sesamee » October 19th, 2012, 11:43 am

I cannot sell a pet on the AH for the life of me. For some reason they just don't sell on this realm. Even the Darkmoon Faire ones. I'm just saving them on my bank alt for now. Some I've given away to friends. I check the stats and keep the ones I like, preferably the faster pets.

For the wild caught pets I usually will catch rares, compare stats, and keep the one I want. I don't like clutter so tend not to keep multiples but I will catch a rare just to make sure it's not better than what I have.

Zenbuddhist
Pet Score:2092
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Zenbuddhist » October 19th, 2012, 12:06 pm

I bought a guild tab just for pets that can be crated. The rest, in my stable, I release once I get a rare. The only exception is if I prefer the color of the lower quality version, then I'll keep it around so that once the patch comes out, I can bump them up to rare and release the others.