Share pet collecting news and advice.
Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us
Eng. Mount or pets first?

Post by Dakaf » September 24th, 2013, 2:36 am

I'm kind of thinking that I want to save up and make the mount first. The pets can't be sold, but the mount should fetch a ton of gold, at least for the first 3 or so months. Anyone have any suggestions?
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Bretonas
Top Rater
Pet Score:12312
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Re: Eng. Mount or pets first?

Post by Bretonas » September 24th, 2013, 3:07 am

Unless you have multiple engineers at max lvl who can make the Jard's Peculiar Energy Source it will take you 15 days per pet and another 30 for the mount.
Most people I know are going for the mount, either because they want it for the themselves or as you said want to sell it.

I guess it depends what you need (money?) or want (mount? pet?). 2 months isn't a lot of time tbh and I can generally see how much ppl are charging for new stuff (mount in this case).
I've already decided to get both pets first, after that I can still bother with the mount if I want.

If you're not to bothered with the pets (simply because they are BoP) you could go for the mount to grab some cash, but keep in mind, you won't be the only one and you might not sell it for as much as u expect. As a long term player for example, I never buy anything "brandnew" from the AH, simply because the prices at the start are just nuts. If I look at the pets from the Timeless Isle atm, they cost around 45k on my server (some close to 100k) which is ridiculous.

Egnever
Top Rater
Pet Score:10768
BattleTag®:Egnever#1670
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Egnever » September 24th, 2013, 5:33 am

I just made a pet.

I decided to make Pierre first for no apparent reason.

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » September 24th, 2013, 6:23 am

I, personally, have three engineers so I made both pets today and will make a mount (probably to sell) in another 15 days. :3
Image Image

Gabrizar
Top Rater
Pet Score:13620
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gabrizar » September 24th, 2013, 6:48 am

After buying both the spectral tiger cub some time ago and a Soul trader, I am lower on cash then I like.
I only got one engineer, but I am going to make the mount first for cash, then the pets for myself and a mount for myself in case I sold the first one to a prize I liked.

Or 2 mounts first for more gold or .. Time will tell what I will do in the end, it all depend on the prize of the mount, since I really lack gold now, and I can wait a few months with the pets as long as I know I am getting them.

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » September 24th, 2013, 7:19 am

i have 2 eng
1 dedicated for mount and 1 for the pet.
pierre will go first because of his original look :)

syrrie : you are sick :) lol

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » September 24th, 2013, 7:36 am

Building the mount first, twitching for it. Pets will come later.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » September 24th, 2013, 8:31 am

Definitely mount, pets will always be worth the same amount, mount price will drop rapidly

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » September 24th, 2013, 8:53 am

Gromagrim wrote:Definitely mount, pets will always be worth the same amount, mount price will drop rapidly
Exactly. Sell everything the first 2 weeks it is possible, then buy it back a month later. Easy profit.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » September 24th, 2013, 10:13 am

Think too many will have the idea to sell the mount. I think it will be much cheaper to make it yourself, skilling up engi and waiting a month compared to the expected markup on the mount.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » September 24th, 2013, 11:08 am

Meh... I have 2 engineers, and am going for both pets first. I will make the mount for myself next and start building a supply of Jard's Peculiar Energy Source. Then, if someone wants me to make a mount for them, I will be able to.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 24th, 2013, 1:24 pm

I'm having a hard time making a decision myself, as I collect both pets and mounts. I'm probably going to wait until I have enough to make the mount, then decide depending on the market. If it really isn't a tidy profit then I'll just make a mount or the pets for myself and go from there.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » September 25th, 2013, 12:45 am

I have two engineers. I've been diligent on my main since day one of the patch, my second has been just as diligent but started three days later. Right now I'm hoping to sell one or possibly two mounts before the market can catch up to a realistic price. I've been preparing for awhile and I can nearly make two mounts and both pets with the living steel I have stocked, along with a huge supply of ghost iron.

I have no problem waiting another month or more before I can make the pets and the mount for myself. If there's anything that collecting pets and mounts has taught me, it's patience.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » September 25th, 2013, 1:14 am

Never really been interested in selling the mounts. Just going to make my pets (made Pierre today) and then get to my own mount.

Sanzul
Pet Score:3503
Realm:Scarshield Legion-eu

Post by Sanzul » September 25th, 2013, 6:25 pm

The pets. Even if you just want to sell, expect the AH to be full of that mount on day #30. Every engineer seems to plan to sell them, while I don't think people are exactly going to be lining up to pay a fortune for a mount. Anyone who has the money and cares that much probably has an engineer alt anyway. The AH will be full of sellers all trying to underbid each other.

If you're not planning to sell, go for the pets anyway. You'll get everything eventually anyway, and the mount is just a mount (getting one early won't make you special, as every engineer is going to be showing off their mounts on the same day) while the pets are actually unique. You can use them to battle during the month it takes you to get the mount, while the mount won't take you anywhere your other mounts can't.

Itsmnevis
Top Rater
Pet Score:3308
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Itsmnevis » September 26th, 2013, 10:03 am

I'm not tired of Yu-la, and I haven't even decided which Celestial to get next week.

I'm going to keep going for the mount. There will be dozens of them appearing on that day, I know, but I'm really looking forward to my new flying Thingamajig.

Rosalyne
Top Rater
Pet Score:5903
BattleTag®:Rosalyne#1595
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Rosalyne » September 26th, 2013, 11:36 am

I'm a mount and pet collector, so I wouldn't sell my first mount. However, I personally think it's kind of ugly, so I'll be making the pets first.