Pets without primaries

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Wain
MVP
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Aman'Thul-us
Pets without primaries

Post by Wain » October 15th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Out of interest, is there a list anywhere with battle pets that are currently only available as secondaries in battles?

So far I have:

Ones that may not spawn in the wild at all:
  • Feverbite Hatchling
  • Silkbead Snail
  • Emperor Crab
  • Devouring Maggot
  • Garden Moth
  • Grotto Vole
  • Crimson Moth
Ones that do spawn but seem to be phased and so unavailable for many:
  • Dancing Water Skimmer
  • (not sure if most of the Nordrassil Wisps are phased so later phased people only see a couple, rarely, of if they're always that rare)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Pets without primaries

Post by Quintessence » October 15th, 2012, 11:50 pm

There were Devouring Maggots under Utgarde Keep on the beta, but I'm not sure if this still applies for live servers.

These are definitely some of the harder to find companions!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Draugarögnir
Pet Score:1187
Realm:Blade's Edge-eu

Post by Draugarögnir » October 18th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Maybe this thread should be made a Sticky ?(If that's possible of course)

Temperama
Pet Score:921
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Temperama » October 18th, 2012, 1:57 pm

there is a ram that comes in as a second pet in the wetlands that is full sized and non captureable :(

Draugarögnir

Post by Draugarögnir » October 18th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Temperama wrote:there is a ram that comes in as a second pet in the wetlands that is full sized and non captureable :(
Yes I've seen a few of those too (although I can't remember their rarity). Bit weird, imho.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » October 18th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Yes I've seen a few of those too (although I can't remember their rarity).
I've seen quite a few as well. They come in different rarities, I even saw a rare (blue) one once. It's a shame you can't capture them.

Zenbuddhist
Pet Score:2092
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Zenbuddhist » October 19th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Temperama wrote:there is a ram that comes in as a second pet in the wetlands that is full sized and non captureable :(
The ram in Loch Modan uses the same skin, I believe, but is just smaller.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/beast/ungulates/little-black-ram/

Violatrix

Post by Violatrix » October 19th, 2012, 1:46 pm

Of the OP's list, I've seen all but the Feverbite Hatchling and Silkbead Snail spawn as the primary pet (though not often at all). I've also never seen a Shrine Fly as a primary. A few non-capturable pets have also shown up as secondary-only, like the Mule Deer, the Wetlands ram and the Desolace gazelle.

As for phased pets, I suspect Effervescent Glowfly and Gilded Moth might also be part of the list, since neither myself nor guildies could see them as primary spawns (though they showed up as secondaries) until the Setting Sun Garrison was unlocked in Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Now we see them everywhere.

Draugarögnir

Post by Draugarögnir » October 19th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Violatrix wrote:As for phased pets, I suspect Effervescent Glowfly and Gilded Moth might also be part of the list.
What do you mean with 'phased pets'?

I know that catchable lvl 1 Gilded Moths show up at the Shrine of Two Moons (Vale of Eternal Blossom), in and around the right-hand entrance when you face the building. I haven't checked (I can't :D) but I suspect they also spawn at the Alliance's counterpart (Shrine of the Seven Stars). But maybe these are not what you refer too?

EDIT It dawns what you mean, I think. I just didn't notice any other phase there :)

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » October 19th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Draugarögnir wrote:
Violatrix wrote:As for phased pets, I suspect Effervescent Glowfly and Gilded Moth might also be part of the list.
What do you mean with 'phased pets'?

I know that catchable lvl 1 Gilded Moths show up at the Shrine of Two Moons (Vale of Eternal Blossom), in and around the right-hand entrance when you face the building. I haven't checked (I can't :D) but I suspect they also spawn at the Alliance's counterpart (Shrine of the Seven Stars). But maybe these are not what you refer too?

EDIT It dawns what you mean, I think. I just didn't notice any other phase there :)
I suspect the phasing in the Vale has something to do with your reputation with Golden Lotus. As you get higher reputation, more daily hubs unlock and become visible to you. Once more and more of the Vale phases in for you, the more pets you'll see in those areas. That's just my guess!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Mushalor
Top Rater

Post by Mushalor » October 24th, 2012, 4:53 am

This is a known bug and will be fixed sometime in 5.1, according to patch notes, starting with Gazelles.

You can read about some of my documentation on them [url=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794641141]here[/url], if you like. :)

Edit: Wain, you can add Wharf Rat to the list, perhaps? These have an extremely low chance to spawn in Booty Bay (as primary spawns) and nowhere else (in spite of the tooltip claiming Tol Barad), and have an extremely low amount of spawn points, to boot. Plus, they appear to compete in spawn points with the non-wild critters and wild pets that crowd the wharf (such as the crabs and roaches). You're really far more likely to see them as secondary/tertiaries--and I think either they're still bugged, or they were only recently fixed where they weren't even spawning in Booty Bay, thus available only this way.

I know they still won't count on my achievement like the Crimson Moth, either, come to think of it. I wonder if there's a relation?

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » October 24th, 2012, 5:46 am

There's an update on this issue in the [url=http://www.wowhead.com/news=207660/patch-5-1-ptr-patch-notes-october-23rd]latest 5.1 PTR patch notes[/url]:

"A number of pets that could previously only be found accompanying other pets into battle can now be found roaming the world."

So it looks like these pets that only show up as secondaries might get their very own primary spawns in 5.1.

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » October 24th, 2012, 7:03 am

I've noticed the Emperor Crab in particular (because it's an aquatic I like); on beta they were plentiful, sharing the spawn area with the Rapana Whelks; now it seems you can only find 'em as secondaries. Well, let's see if the fix works...