BattlePets: "incorrect" locations in Tooltips?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Aithaliana
Top Rater
BattlePets: "incorrect" locations in Tooltips?

Post by Aithaliana » October 15th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Hey Guys,

ok... before I start to question my Sanity:
is it possible that the locations in the tooltips are sometimes not quite correct?

With the introduction of petbattles I set myself the goal to collect one pet from each kind in each color (as long as there are only three) in rare quality. I decided to do this in an orderly (and veeeryyy slow) way:

- Go into one zone
- hit the macro to list all available batllepets in this zone
- catch them all

Easy? Well... not so if the tooltips seem to be not always correct.

So here I am to ask you for your help. I would be glad if you can confirm or deny some of my observations. :)

-----
Location mentioned in Tooltip:

Stormwind City
- Praerie Dog

Elwynn Forest
- SeaGull
- Spider (seen them in beta, but not live?)

----
Location not mentioned in Tooltip:

Westfall
- Squirrel

----
I am quite positive that this list will be updated soon... to my utterly dismay ;)

So far,
Good Night
Aith

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: BattlePets: "incorrect" locations in Tooltips?

Post by Quintessence » October 15th, 2012, 4:53 pm

At first I thought that many of the zones listed in a few of the pet's tooltips in the Pet Journal were incorrect too, but I've found that many of the pets can be found in those zones, just not directly. I run into them as second or third additions to a battle. Not all the time, and sometimes very rarely, but they're still capturable and still from that area, just indirectly.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Aithaliana
Top Rater

Post by Aithaliana » October 16th, 2012, 10:30 am

Huh... okay. :)

thanks for the answer Quint.

Basically this means 2 things for me:
1. I have to be more thorough in my (re-)search.
2. I have to have a second look into the basics of pet battling. Because I thought I've got it until now. It seems I have made some mistakes based on apparently wrong assumptions:
I thought low-level wild-pets (1 & 2) cannot have a joining pet. Therefore the pets in capitals and starter areas would be always alone and I can only catch what is actually running through the area. And I have never seen a praerie dog in stormwind. On the other Hand if I remember it correctly there are seagulls at this little peer to the river between elwynn forest and duskwood and there are definitely spiders in this one mine. So maybe I just got really unlucky the last couple of days.

Although it would be nice if someone could confirm a catch of theese pets in theese locations I am not going to delete them from my excelsheet and continue looking for them.

Thanks again
yours,
Aith

Send from Samsung Mobile

Zerdolf
Pet Score:2868
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Zerdolf » October 16th, 2012, 10:41 am

Best place I've seen for prairie dogs is in Mulgore. The Tauren starting zone if you play alliance, they are all over the place.

When I go into a zone I mostly focus on looking for pets that are unique to that zone and not found anywhere else. It has saved me a little of my already low sanity :)

Aithaliana
Top Rater

Post by Aithaliana » October 16th, 2012, 11:39 am

Hi Zerdolf,

I have the Praerie Dog found in Westfall and already got my rare one. The Problem is not really the catching of the pets in question. It's the location that is stated in the tooltip.

I have an excelsheet with catchable pets for each zone and I want it to be accurate. So if there is something like "Praerie Dog in Stormwind" I want to know if this is really correct. So far I thought it a bug and tried my luck here to get an answer. ;)

For now I will leave the entry in the sheet and just look a few more times ingame if I can actually find the pets, where they are mentioned in the tooltip. :geek:

okay raid time.
seeya later

Aith

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 16th, 2012, 7:22 pm

The low level of these pets in question slipped my mind, but you're right. At level 1 - 4, secondary pets won't join the battle.

I've never seen a Prairie Dog in SW (not even a non-capturable pet), but I don't doubt a Sea Gull being in Elwynn Forest. Perhaps both have very low spawn rates and spawn locations. It wouldn't surprise me if there's only one spawn point for each of these, and they share a cooldown with another wild pet.

One way to test it would be to kill all the wild pets and critters in the area and force a spawn (would take a while), but that seems a bit unfair to other collectors who are trying to catch a pet in the area.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Kingdms

Post by Kingdms » October 16th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Some tooltips do display faulty information. This is not in question. The best way to check for spawns in a zone is to check a database such a WoWHead, which displays NPC spawn points on a map.

Take the Sea Gull for example, since you mentioned it specifically. Checking the NPC article on WoWHead (LINK) reveals that it only spawns in Tanaris, along the coast. The tooltip information is in error. Similarly the Prarie Dog does not spawn in Stormwind, and the Spider does not spawn in Elwynn Forest. These pets may be listed within the game client to appear as secondary pets in these areas, but as you noted one will never encounter a secondary pet in these zones.

It's important to realize, though, that this only applies to wild pet spawns. What Quintessence said does hold true in many instances: Some pets will appear as additions to a battle in zones where they themselves do not spawn. The Spider is a good example of this behavior. You will only encounter Spider spawns in the Stonetalon Mountains and Dustwallow Marsh, but they appear as additional pets in many zones.

Aithaliana
Top Rater

Post by Aithaliana » October 20th, 2012, 7:35 am

wow. Thanks for the answers :)

ok. I am trying to put my thoughts into words here. I'm sorry if it gets confusing. ;)

Currently I am in Dun Morogh.
-> I entered the area.
-> Clicked my macro and got the following list:
Dun Morogh
  • Adder
  • Alpine Hare
  • Black Rat
  • Crystal Spider
  • Irradiated Roach
  • Long-tailed Mole
  • Maggot
  • Rabbit
  • Rat
  • Roach
  • Small Frog
  • Snake
  • Snow Cub
  • Squirrel
  • Spider
  • Strand Crab
  • Toad
-> I took every single name on the list and looked them up on wowhead and warcraftpets
If they are not listed on theese sites in the specific location I am willing to accept that the tooltip is incorrect and mark them in my list as "unconfirmed".

Unconfirmed Pets in Dun Morogh would be:
  • Adder
  • Black Rat
  • Crystal Spider
  • Maggot
  • Rabbit
  • Rat
  • Roach
  • Small Frog
  • Snake
  • Squirrel
  • Spider
  • Strand Crab
  • Toad
Leaving me with theese "confirmed" pets in Dun Morogh:
Dun Morogh
  • Alpine Hare
  • Irradiated Roach
  • Long-tailed Mole
  • Snow Cub
Now that would be much more easier with only thoose 4 pets on the list.

Although there is a reason why I mark them as "not confirmed" instead of deleting them. Because:
What am I to do with the Rabbits and the Squirrels I actually found in Dun Morogh? I mean they are neither listed in wowhead nor in warcraftpets, but they are listed in the tooltips and they are definitely in Dun Mororgh. So I could confirm them.
Leaving me with the doubt:
Can I be 100% positively sure that there are no seagulls or spiders in Elwynn Forest?

Urgh... this isnt easy at all... *sigh*

For the thing with the additional pets:
I just made two new columns in my list "joining pet" and "initial pet", so I can note how I encountered them. ^^

Okay. I am off to Dun Morogh again.
Seeya all and thanks for the help :)

Aith

€dit:
I found a possible explanation. I'm right now at the border between Wetlands and Dun Morogh.
On the Dun Morogh side was an Alpine Hare but I challenged it while standing on the Wetlands side.
So the Alpine Hare is now a level 6 Critter and a Water Snake joined the battle. Sooo if I catch the "level 6 alpine hare" now... basically this means I caught an Alpine Hare in the Wetlands?
I let my Boyfriend run some scripts and I am definetly located in the Wetlands. So it appears that battlepets can roam about the edges of zones.

Kingdms

Post by Kingdms » October 20th, 2012, 10:07 am

Sometimes you will have to check multiple databases, as one may have information that another does not. The Curse WoWDB confirms that [url=http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/61080-rabbit]Rabbits[/url] and [url=http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/61081-squirrel]Squirrels[/url] do indeed spawn in Dun Morogh. This means that users running the data collection script for this DB have more thoroughly scoured the zone for pet spawns than those using the Wowhead script. That being said, it is probably best to overlook these pets in this zone due to their fewer spawn points. Both the Squirrel and Rabbit are readily abundant elsewhere, so there's little point in attempting to hunt the in Dun Morogh.

Checking multiple DB resources also allows you to confirmed suspected errors. For example, the Curse DB supports Wowhead's data that the [url=http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/62953-sea-gull]Sea Gull[/url] only spawns in Tanaris. It also supports the finding that [url=http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/62435-crystal-spider]Crystal Spiders[/url] do not spawn in Dun Morogh.